Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Anyone have experience with Sprint Booster?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 09:00 PM
stallion8797
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone have experience with Sprint Booster?

Hi,

First let me introduce myself. I own a tuning company and have been thinking about offering this product to our customers. I will not name our company, because I'm not trying to take away any business from the paid sponsors, but I am in need of some input.

There is a sprint booster available for these cars, but haven't seen anyone with it installed. I know on the Mercedes boards it's very popular, slightly popular on VW and Audi boards, and at least mentioned on BMW boards. I've only managed to find a few posts on here relating to the product.

I'm basically looking to see if it's worth picking up a few pieces for the Mini.
A simple yes or no and a reason will be most helpful.

If this is in anyway against the rules of the forum, I apologize and moderators may lock.

If you do not know what a Sprint Booster is check it out here:
www.sprintbooster.it (no relation)
Thanks!

Last edited by stallion8797; 01-03-2008 at 10:38 PM.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:05 PM
Longboard110
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
link no work

Old 01-03-2008, 10:39 PM
stallion8797
Neutral
Fixed!

Old 01-03-2008, 10:53 PM
verveAbsolut
4th Gear
Maybe there's a reason they're popular with MB owners, somewhat with Audi/VW, and only mentioned on BMW boards...

For those that may not know what it does (and don't speak/want to translate Italian): http://www.sprint-booster.co.uk/default.asp?cookiecheck=yes&

All it does, is make your throttle pedal need about half the effort for the same response.

My very simple, completely free fix for the same result: depress your pedal further. You can send me the leftover $300 as a donation for such sage advice. I think the track-junkies on the forums here have brought up the obvious problem with a loss in throttle control and modulation as well. Needless to say, I see no reason why this product should even exist. Reminds me of the DVD Rewinder: http://www.dvdrewinder.com/

Oh, and don't take this as an attack on you at all Stallion. Merely trying to point out the infinite stupidity of a very well marketed, yet terrible and nearly functionless product.

- Matt

Last edited by verveAbsolut; 01-03-2008 at 10:56 PM.
Old 01-03-2008, 11:08 PM
joshK
4th Gear
Doesn't the Sprintbooster mess up your muffler bearings? I also heard that you have to change your Knudsen valve when you install it. :D

FYI I have a Merc and used to be very active on the boards. Many love it on those boards cause many of the people on there don't know much about cars/tuning.

Old 01-03-2008, 11:09 PM
HighLife4136
5th Gear
Originally Posted by stallion8797
Fixed!
Viva L'inglese!

http://www.sprintbooster.it/index_eng.php

Good luck with the product...

Old 01-04-2008, 12:10 AM
verveAbsolut
4th Gear
Originally Posted by joshK
Doesn't the Sprintbooster mess up your muffler bearings? I also heard that you have to change your Knudsen valve when you install it. :D
Thank god you stuck the smiley at the end there. My face was in contortions reading your first two sentences.

Originally Posted by joshK
FYI I have a Merc and used to be very active on the boards. Many love it on those boards cause many of the people on there don't know much about cars/tuning.
All data to me seems to suggest an inverse relationship between the supposed cache of one's car, and one's knowledge of cars in general.

- Matt

Last edited by verveAbsolut; 01-04-2008 at 12:29 AM.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:27 AM
UKSUV
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Im active on the VW/Mini/BMW boards I have never heard of this thing...sounds like a lazy device (which Im all for) but not on this one...

Old 01-04-2008, 03:37 AM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
If I recall there is an old thread somewhere here on NAM. I couldn't find it but my recollection was that it merely changes the ratio of pedal to throttle body giving the driver the "sense of more power" because you depress the pedal less but doesn't give you any more actual power.

Old 01-04-2008, 03:57 AM
stallion8797
Neutral
It doesn't give you more power at all, just makes the DBW much more responsive.

I'm just trying to test the waters to see which car enthusiasts actually like the product and are willing to try it.

I will take Mini owners off the list.

Thank you for your time.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:56 AM
PenelopeG3
4th Gear
I've seen it referenced on the Benz forums as I own a SLK.

The Mercs have a very lazy gas pedal that you really need to press further than other cars like the Mini. It makes the car feel kinda sluggish as you have to be more enthusiastic with your right foot in order to get any acceleration. Since it is an e-throttle type of throttle body setup, the spring booster type products recalibrate the throttle position so that it opens the throttle plates more with less pedal movement making the car feel livelier.

For something like the SLK it is worthwhile. The Mini's response to throttle inputs is already very crisp and vibrant that this would not be a worthwhile for this car.

Old 01-04-2008, 10:07 AM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
perhaps if coupled w/ a plasma booster

Old 01-04-2008, 11:12 AM
MiniStupidfun
6th Gear
I wonder if it works as well as my Flux capacitor

Old 01-04-2008, 05:34 PM
RussellCory
5th Gear
Reason number 300 why cars should have CABLE driven throttles!

Old 01-04-2008, 08:37 PM
stallion8797
Neutral
I appreciate all the constructive responses about the throttle response being optimal. We will still offer the product to our customers but not in the same quantities as some of the other Makes.

Here's a completely off-topic question: How does the new turbocharged motor compare to the old SC one? Lease is up on the DD soon and I'm looking for a new ride.

Old 07-10-2008, 06:29 PM
Karateman
2nd Gear
I just installed the Sprint Booster in my R53 and I felt the difference immediately! Yes, it's expensive, but I hated the delayed response with the throttle and the Mini dealer couldn't fix it even with a flash firmware upgrade. So I was willing to pay for this booster.

Anyone that hasn't tried, need not criticize it. Let me tell u that it works and the throttle response is very sensitive now. As soon as u step on the accelerator, it goes! No hesitation!

Old 07-10-2008, 07:18 PM
RussellCory
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Karateman
I just installed the Sprint Booster in my R53 and I felt the difference immediately! Yes, it's expensive, but I hated the delayed response with the throttle and the Mini dealer couldn't fix it even with a flash firmware upgrade. So I was willing to pay for this booster.

Anyone that hasn't tried, need not criticize it. Let me tell u that it works and the throttle response is very sensitive now. As soon as u step on the accelerator, it goes! No hesitation!
Sounds good for the bottom half of the accelerator but what's the top half like? I was under the impression that the voltage gets maxed out at about 3/4 throttle. Thusly you loose deep throttle modulation. Have you experienced this at all?

Old 07-10-2008, 07:27 PM
Karateman
2nd Gear
No, I did not notice any loss in the higher rpm range so far. I did take it up on the hwy. to about 140 Kmh and at 6,000 rpm - 6,500 rpm range and didn't notice any change at the high end. The car just ripped all the way up to that high rpm range and smoothly! As far as I can tell, it reacts instantly to my throttle input in all rpm range. All I can say is try it out. I personally would not have spent that much on it if I didn't feel the difference. The performance shop told me to try it and if I didn't like it, I could return it. So I agreed and they even installed for me in 3 mins.

Trust me, I was dabbling with the idea of getting Tein H-Sport springs, but felt this Sprint Booster was a better choice and I don't regret it.

I also walked out of there with Hawk carbon brake pads and Russell SS brake lines. Now I will save my $$ and get coil-overs next.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:48 PM
Longboard Mini
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Karateman
No, I did not notice any loss in the higher rpm range so far. I did take it up on the hwy. to about 140 Kmh and at 6,000 rpm - 6,500 rpm range and didn't notice any change at the high end. The car just ripped all the way up to that high rpm range and smoothly! As far as I can tell, it reacts instantly to my throttle input in all rpm range. All I can say is try it out. I personally would not have spent that much on it if I didn't feel the difference. The performance shop told me to try it and if I didn't like it, I could return it. So I agreed and they even installed for me in 3 mins.

Trust me, I was dabbling with the idea of getting Tein H-Sport springs, but felt this Sprint Booster was a better choice and I don't regret it.

I also walked out of there with Hawk carbon brake pads and Russell SS brake lines. Now I will save my $$ and get coil-overs next.

Good for you for giving it a try. We installed one in my buddy's car (15% + CAI only) and the difference was amazing. Pulling away from a light was much better and the top end felt the same. I understand how it works and no, moving the seat closer doesn't do the same thing. I tried that before we installed it. When you move the seat closer your foot is now at a jacked up angle and makes the car harder to drive. The SB just made the car funner to drive. It "feels" like the car has more power. I know it doesn't but you sure think it did.

I agree that people shouldn't judge until they try it. It does take some getting used to but I would recommend to anyone to give it a try.

Longboard

Old 07-10-2008, 10:16 PM
D-MAN
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Longboard Mini

I agree that people shouldn't judge until they try it. It does take some getting used to but I would recommend to anyone to give it a try.

Longboard
Are you going to put one on your mini?
It would be intersting to see how it goes on a beast like yours...

Old 07-10-2008, 11:29 PM
scolburn79
4th Gear
Doesn't Jan have a program that adjust the accelerator response now?

Old 07-11-2008, 04:28 AM
Ric in Richmond
2nd Gear
GM did this for years with their linkages. First 1" was worth half a turn on the throttle. If you look at the pulley the cables were attached to they were eccentric...neat idea.

Made them "feel" powerful, but tough to modulate, made the car jump off the line if you weren't smooth.

Hated them. (not a huge GM fan anyways)

Now the mini is different. I swear it is programmed to open the throttle MORE slowly in the first inch.

Since it is simple to install, how about you ship me one and I will install it and review it!!! I'll either ship it back or pay for it when I am done.

BTW I have a Mercedes too...it doesn't need one either..but the same offer stands to review one for you!!!

Old 07-12-2008, 06:35 PM
Longboard Mini
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ric in Richmond
GM did this for years with their linkages. First 1" was worth half a turn on the throttle. If you look at the pulley the cables were attached to they were eccentric...neat idea.

Made them "feel" powerful, but tough to modulate, made the car jump off the line if you weren't smooth.

Hated them. (not a huge GM fan anyways)

Now the mini is different. I swear it is programmed to open the throttle MORE slowly in the first inch.

Since it is simple to install, how about you ship me one and I will install it and review it!!! I'll either ship it back or pay for it when I am done.

BTW I have a Mercedes too...it doesn't need one either..but the same offer stands to review one for you!!!
Who are you talking to?

Longboard

Old 07-15-2008, 10:45 AM
stallion8797
Neutral
We've already had a customer try this on his Mini S. He tried both the manual and auto version and decided it made the car very uncomfortable to drive.

Just a heads up for those looking to try this.

Old 07-15-2008, 12:51 PM
onasled
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Whoever is using one of these, you should get a wide band sensor ad check A/F ratios. I have the feeling it could cause you to run way lean. I have reason for thinking this.
Check it out.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Anyone have experience with Sprint Booster?