Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Jan-tune nets 50hp! (Well actually 49.9)

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 03:46 PM
pberry51mini
No Fear Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jan-tune nets 50hp! (Well actually 49.9)

Yesterday I drove for 4 hours with my wife to somewhere outside Hoboken (Wilmington, CA) to a rather non-descript auto shop to meet Jan for the rumored "ultimate tune."

First of all - Jan was not what I expected him to look like. Keep in mind I grew up when there was still Auto shops, and metal shops, and wood shop classes for losers like me to go to, and everyone I knew lived with grease under our fingernails, leather jackets (at least when we weren't surfing) and attitudes that stunk as bad as I knew I did. I spent a year in C.Y.A. because of it.
Jan was well groomed, nicely dressed, looked more like a College Professor than the grease-monkey I was expecting. He was well about as nice a guy as I could ever expect to work with. NAM sometimes paints an odd picture of certain vendors for no good reason.

2nd of all - the mechanics began working like a symphony under Jan's direction. They knew him, they trusted him, they listened to him.

My first run - 160 hp! Out of a JCW no less! Heart-breaking. Jan thought there was something wrong with my engine compression or worse. Didn't seem reasonable that it was only churning out 160 hp when typically they put out about 180 or so.

Out comes the computer and mad typing from the conductor, screens pop up and go back, numbers are massaged, more screens, and the hint of a smile from Jan. New ECU tune goes on and he tells the mechanics to run it again on the dyno. Now about 185 hp. Better but not best.

Out comes the computer again and more mad typing, numbers crunched and now an obvious smile on Jan's face. "Watch this." Mechanics start it up and run to the limits again. Third time a charm - 210 hp!

Jan actually did one more number crunch because of something he saw at about 6200 rpm but we didn't run it again - Jan was excited, I was excited and the mechanics were dumbfounded. They hadn't ever seen a 50hp gain wit a tune before. Neither had Jan.
Jan said it was one for the record books.
Call it impossible, Sun-spots, solar winds, whatever, it was a 50 hp gain!

Here's the dyno sheet:
red: before
Blue: after 4 tunes

Jan can verify this if you want.

49.9 hp gain
31.3 ft. lbs. gain

Paul

Last edited by pberry51mini; 12-21-2007 at 05:52 PM.
Old 12-21-2007, 03:54 PM
Minifiend
4th Gear
Originally Posted by pberry51mini

First of all - Jan was not what I expected him to look like. Keep in mind I grew up when there was still Auto shops, and metal shops, and wood shop classes for losers like me to go to, and everyone I knew lived with grease under our fingernails, leather jackets (at least when we weren't surfing) and attitudes that stunk as bad as I knew I did. I spent a year in C.Y.A. because of it.
Jan was well groomed, nicely dressed, looked more like a College Professor than the grease-monkey I was expecting. He was well about as nice a guy as I could ever expect to work with. NAM sometimes paints an odd picture of certain vendors for no good reason.
I couldn't agree more. When I first met Jan, I was surprised as well. After hanging out with him its obvious that he is a professional in every sense of the word. I find it comical that people think spreading false slander all over the internet is going to have some kind of negative effect on Jan or his businesses. Anyone that has ever met Jan knows what's really going on.

Sounds like another successful tune. I am sure the 4 hour ride home didn't take quite as long as it did coming down. Congrats!

Old 12-21-2007, 03:55 PM
polizei
6th Gear
Nice!

-Cody

Old 12-21-2007, 03:58 PM
jeffc
7th Gear
How does the car feel. How different was the ride home from the ride there?

50 whp is sick it must be like a different car.

Old 12-21-2007, 04:02 PM
goaljnky
Banned
I only see the before sheet. What was the torque afterwards?

Old 12-21-2007, 04:10 PM
astrochex
6th Gear
Wow, another unpossible achievement by Jan, the rogue untrained, tuner savant!

Paul, is this a standard JCW package, no component changes between baseline and the tune?

Old 12-21-2007, 04:11 PM
astrochex
6th Gear
Originally Posted by goaljnky
I only see the before sheet. What was the torque afterwards?
Beer goggles too dark?

Old 12-21-2007, 04:13 PM
PGT
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what AFR's?

Old 12-21-2007, 04:16 PM
goaljnky
Banned
seriously. maybe it's my work monitor....what is the final torque?

Old 12-21-2007, 04:20 PM
ChrisW
6th Gear
Originally Posted by PGT
what AFR's?

Air fuel ratio

Old 12-21-2007, 04:24 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
If I may, and Jan can correct me of course, but he tapers the AFR from stoich at low RPM to about 11.5:1 at 4k through to redline. This means the car stays safe even running E10 91 octane. This is not how you make peak power, but it is how you keep a boosted engine together, which I'm sure we'll ALL agree is better for our cars.

Great final numbers pberry, more than is usually seen from a JCW! Tell us how the butt-dyno feels now!

Old 12-21-2007, 04:26 PM
PGT
Banned
Originally Posted by ChrisW
Air fuel ratio
:golf clap:

I'm asking what teh AFR overlay for those curves is (not what AFR means )? Before and after would be nice to see...a good indication of two things: A) how safe the tune is and B) where the 50hp came from

PS - I know his tuning methodologies....we've discussed. I want to see how bad it was pre-tune vs. post-tune

Old 12-21-2007, 04:30 PM
goaljnky
Banned
Just talked to Jan. Got the answer. Can't wait till January.

Old 12-21-2007, 04:34 PM
Silkworm
3rd Gear
Nice! I just knew there was alot in these cars via tune. Did you ever figure out why you were so low on hp from the get go? seems like 20hp is a lot to call a factory variance especially on a performance model. either way it took care of your problem and gave ya a bunch of ponies to boot. I couldnt tell on the photo how much more hp did you gain from bumping redline. Ithe pic wouldnt expand for me.

Congrats
Josh

Last edited by Silkworm; 12-21-2007 at 04:38 PM.
Old 12-21-2007, 04:35 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by PGT
PS - I know his tuning methodologies....we've discussed. I want to see how bad it was pre-tune vs. post-tune
My mistake Just posting that for the nay-sayers that think that applying n/a tuning philosophy to forced induction cars is a good idea.

Old 12-21-2007, 04:47 PM
SB
6th Gear
That is awesome work by Jan. And good to hear about your JCW doing so well considering where it started. I took my 06 JCW to a dyno last year and it ran close to yours. 165 hp and 153 torque. As soon as he is within a reasonable distance, I'll be there.

Old 12-21-2007, 04:49 PM
Maxicooper
6th Gear
Great result indeed.

Can't wait....can't wait....

Old 12-21-2007, 05:10 PM
Skiploder
Banned
Who is this chick "Jan" everyone is talking about?

Is she hot? Please post some pics.......

Old 12-21-2007, 05:13 PM
Revolution Mini Works
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just saw this on the iphone on the way home from the fab shop.... good things brewing as if you stop to see what everyone else is doing you get run over

ok... let's talk about the above tune... one for the Hall of Fame

I will try and answer as many of the above questions in this post.
Paul and his lovely wife beat me to the dyno as I was running a little late yesterday. Had to fix the A/C to DC converter for the Dimsport so we could power up the genius... thanks Longboard

When I got there they had already ran the baseline.... I looked at the screen to see what we had to work with.... horror struck as I looked at the 160whp . I asked Paul if the car was OK? I had never seen a JCW pull that low. He said he thought it was fine. So I asked the tech who ran the car..... "WAS IT PINGING?" and the answer from him was yes..... whew

So I figured that the "tune" that was on the car from another Vendor on NAM was too aggressive for the car and it was pulling timing and dumping fuel.

A quick look at the A/F ratio confirmed my thoughts

Paul jumped in the car and took out the offender while I went to prepare the map.

First run came back around 11.8 a/f where I normally like it around 11.5-11.0
We picked up about 30whp and 20ft lbs of torque
So we put some fuel into and made a timing adjustment and ran the car.... it laid down 205ish
Now we had a dip below 10.8 in the a/f in one spot so we made another small timing adjustment and fuel trim.....
ran it again..... 210whp and 186 ft lbs of torque
car ran 11.5-11.0
They have 2 dynapacks at the shop, the one we are on has always read the a/f 1pt off. They have had dynapack down to try and fix it but you just have learn to know it's a full a/f off. Overall a great success story and it was fun to see Paul come back from his test drive.

Of course the sound of squealing tires and the distinct noise of the rev limited being trounced upon was like sweet music to my ears....

The tech and myself were laughing knowing full well what Paul would experience with those types of gains There is no emoticon on the board that could show the smile on Pauls face as he drove back into the dyno shop.... all I saw was teeth!!!!!

Congrats on your car Paul it was a pleasure doing business with you and finally getting a chance to make your car run like it was supposed to!

jan

Forgot to add..... the car picked up 47ft lbs of torque over the other map at 5100rpm!!!!! It also picked up 42ft lbs at 2200!!!

Last edited by Revolution Mini Works; 12-21-2007 at 05:17 PM. Reason: forgot some torque info
Old 12-21-2007, 05:14 PM
pberry51mini
No Fear Gear
OK, well the drive home took 2.5 hours instead of 4. I'm afraid I scared my wife to the point I had to ask her near home to forgive me.

If the posted pictre is unclear the scan in my gallary may be clearer.
I'll post the AFR changes tommorrow.

The torque hit 186.2 at 4294rpm a gain of 31.3
The hp hit 210.7 at 6936rpm a gain of 49.9

I believe my 160.8 hp baseline was a result of a tune that had a pretty bad map on it I guess (understatement here).
Off it came and voila!

Paul

Last edited by pberry51mini; 12-21-2007 at 05:28 PM.
Old 12-21-2007, 05:18 PM
pberry51mini
No Fear Gear
Originally Posted by Revolution Mini Works
Just saw this on the iphone on the way home from the fab shop.... good things brewing as if you stop to see what everyone else is doing you get run over

ok... let's talk about the above tune... one for the Hall of Fame

I will try and answer as many of the above questions in this post.
Paul and his lovely wife beat me to the dyno as I was running a little late yesterday. Had to fix the A/C to DC converter for the Dimsport so we could power up the genius... thanks Longboard

When I got there they had already ran the baseline.... I looked at the screen to see what we had to work with.... horror struck as I looked at the 160whp . I asked Paul if the car was OK? I had never seen a JCW pull that low. He said he thought it was fine. So I asked the tech who ran the car..... "WAS IT PINGING?" and the answer from him was yes..... whew

So I figured that the "tune" that was on the car from another Vendor on NAM was too aggressive for the car and it was pulling timing and dumping fuel.

A quick look at the A/F ratio confirmed my thoughts

Paul jumped in the car and took out the offender while I went to prepare the map.

First run came back around 11.8 a/f where I normally like it around 11.5-11.0
We picked up about 30whp and 20ft lbs of torque
So we put some fuel into and made a timing adjustment and ran the car.... it laid down 205ish
Now we had a dip below 10.8 in the a/f in one spot so we made another small timing adjustment and fuel trim.....
ran it again..... 210whp and 186 ft lbs of torque
car ran 11.5-11.0
They have 2 dynapacks at the shop, the one we are on has always read the a/f 1pt off. They have had dynapack down to try and fix it but you just have learn to know it's a full a/f off. Overall a great success story and it was fun to see Paul come back from his test drive.

Of course the sound of squealing tires and the distinct noise of the rev limited being trounced upon was like sweet music to my ears....

The tech and myself were laughing knowing full well what Paul would experience with those types of gains There is no emoticon on the board that could show the smile on Pauls face as he drove back into the dyno shop.... all I saw was teeth!!!!!

Congrats on your car Paul it was a pleasure doing business with you and finally getting a chance to make your car run like it was supposed to!

jan
Thanks Jan, your post made it just before mine and I'm glad you took the time to explain things I clearly couldn't.

Like I said Jan - you're on my list now.

Paul

Old 12-21-2007, 05:24 PM
Revolution Mini Works
Banned
Originally Posted by astrochex
Wow, another unpossible achievement by Jan, the rogue untrained, tuner savant!

Paul, is this a standard JCW package, no component changes between baseline and the tune?
Paul,
Pberry's car has a basic JCW with DFIC
16%pulley and crank pulley. I believe the rest of the car is stock

and a RMW TUNE

Old 12-21-2007, 05:27 PM
Revolution Mini Works
Banned
Originally Posted by pberry51mini
Thanks Jan, your post made it just before mine and I'm glad you took the time to explain things I clearly couldn't.

Like I said Jan - you're on my list now.

Paul

LOL.... I need to be on "that" list
thanks again....
I think it helped if you know what I mean

Old 12-21-2007, 06:00 PM
Jahmills
5th Gear
Nice work Jan

Old 12-21-2007, 06:11 PM
pberry51mini
No Fear Gear
The next 49.9 hp is going to cost me a whole bunch more than what Jan charged.
So, I'm saving up now, maybe by Summer.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Jan-tune nets 50hp! (Well actually 49.9)