Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain DDMWorks Race Intake System (RIS)

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 09:36 AM
Dave@ddmworks
Manufacturer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DDMWorks Race Intake System (RIS)

For those that may miss the vendor announcement, here are the details on our intake.

DDMWorks is proud to release our R56 Race Intake System (RIS). The intake comes in two parts, the RAS or Ram Air Scoop which makes use of the non functional hood scoop that was just waiting to be used as an intake source, and the DDMWorks PFB or Pressurized Filter Box. With the complete race system in place, your MINI’s filter is washed with cool pressurized ambient air coming in from the front of the car. The whole system working together insures improved throttle response and maximum power consistently for your MINI.

The DDMWorks RAS (Ram Air Scoop)

The unique shape of the DDMWorks RAS was designed to accelerate the incoming air from the hood scoop and keep the new intake box under pressure forcing even more cold air into the turbo and engine. Two diverters on the back of the RAS direct the air down into the filter, and the RAS seals with the top of our pressurized filter box (PFB) to ensure a cool ambient air supply. We also wanted regular maintenance of the car to be unaffected with the intake installed, so even with the RAS mounted to the bonnet of the car, regular maintenance of your engine is just as easy as stock. Access to the spark plugs, oil filter and oil fill are just like stock. The scoop attaches to the bonnet using existing mounting points so there is no drilling or modifications needed for installation. The RAS can also be purchased separately for use with other intake systems that leave an exposed filter in the back of the engine bay. We learned during our thousands of miles of testing that exposed filters without the RAS in place see good temperatures during light cruise, but during long pulls the temperature of the incoming air continued to climb as the turbo heated the air coming in through the scoop. With the simple addition of the RAS on those intakes, temperatures stayed only a few degrees above ambient, which resulted in better throttle response and more consistent power. The RAS is offered in DDMWorks Stainless steel, or for a more stock appearance black matte powder coat.

Price $199

The DDMWorks PFB (Pressurized Filter Box)

During that intake testing, we learned a lot about what the new turbo MINI. A simple filter attached off of the Air flow meter did a really good job of freeing up the intake on the new R56. In fact this simple intake proved to be a real good bang for the buck. However, we did not want to produce just a good intake, we knew we could do better. So we took the time to seal the intake with a covered box that installs easily over the bottom of your stock intake. With the system in place the RAS seals with the PFB resulting in a pressurized system at speed that eliminates restriction before the turbo like no simple filter intake system can duplicate. It also keeps the air coming into your MINI at ambient, a big plus if you are looking to make consistent power during long full throttle accelerations at the track. The PFB comes with one of our UNI Dual stage foam filters to keep the air clean and clear that is being ingested by your engine. With the Foam filter on you will be able to hear the faint sound of the turbo spooling up and the blow off noise of the bypass valve during shifting. We are also offering the PFB with a K&N filter for those that really want to hear the turbo spool and the bypass valve sounds during shifts. Both filters work equally well, but this way you can tailor the sound of the intake to your tastes. The intake is offered in DDMWorks Stainless Steel or black matte powder coat.

Price $249

The first shipment of these intakes is scheduled for September 28th. All orders that we receive before then will also get complimentary shipping to the continental US. You can give us a call at 864-907-6004 and talk to Ivy to get your order in, or we will have them up on our website by the end of this week.

Thanks to everyone that made this intake possible!
Dave

Old 09-10-2007, 09:47 AM
-Vampyre-
3rd Gear
Me likey. May have to put money on credit card...trying to resist....arghhhhh. Love it man. Can't wait til I can get one.

Old 09-10-2007, 09:47 AM
Partsman
Legion_of_Doom
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow! You guys never cease to amaze me. Excellent work!

Old 09-10-2007, 09:50 AM
chili_red07
5th Gear
beautiful stuff! what can we expect for performance numbers?

Old 09-10-2007, 10:00 AM
mataku
5th Gear
Wow.. very tempting. Maybe we can setup a group buy and get some savings?

Old 09-10-2007, 12:39 PM
rattmobbins
6th Gear
Looks hot (or I guess cool), but can you still install a strut bar with that setup???

Old 09-10-2007, 01:16 PM
Dave@ddmworks
Manufacturer
Looks hot (or I guess cool), but can you still install a strut bar with that setup???

We will show you the answer to that question later this week

Old 09-10-2007, 01:42 PM
rattmobbins
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Dave@ddmworks

We will show you the answer to that question later this week

Schweeeeeeeet!!!

Old 09-10-2007, 02:38 PM
MrB
2nd Gear
so $199 for the scoop only and $249 for the aitfilter box? not bad... r they in stock yet? how can i order?

i m still waitin on the stress bar

Old 09-10-2007, 03:39 PM
joshK
4th Gear
Looks great! Any before/after dyno numbers?

Old 09-10-2007, 05:46 PM
ChrisMCS04
Peace Keeper
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Man all of these new parts for the R56 makes me want one, but for now I have to stick with my R53, until I can have both!

Old 09-10-2007, 06:09 PM
apexer
6th Gear
Looks like a great CAI but, in heavy rain it looks like water will be dumped right on top of the filter.

Old 09-10-2007, 06:28 PM
Tüls
Turbius Maximus
WOW nice job DAVE!! WOOOO! you guys rock baby!

Old 09-10-2007, 08:49 PM
MrB
2nd Gear
same thought

Originally Posted by apexer
Looks like a great CAI but, in heavy rain it looks like water will be dumped right on top of the filter.
is there any component to prevent this happen?

Old 09-11-2007, 02:31 AM
earlgrey
1st Gear
With this in, can clear JCW strut bar?

Old 09-11-2007, 05:34 AM
Peter@M7Tuning
Former Vendor
Same sort of reasoning as with any scoop intake, unless your driving into a tsunami or sticking a hose into your scoop, there'll be no need to worry about water into the intake. The filter and hot turbo will take care of the water well enough.

Old 09-11-2007, 07:12 AM
Dave@ddmworks
Manufacturer
Originally Posted by joshK
Looks great! Any before/after dyno numbers?
We will get everyone some of those torwards the end of the week, the intake really does add to the fun of the car a lot. We will also be showing some acceleration testing we did on the intake, as this is where you notice the complete sealed intake showing improvement over just the exposed filter intake. The reason is that on the dyno with the hood open the exposed filter and our RIS are all getting nice ambient air, but once you close that hood, one keeps getting ambient air and the other does not, I will let everyone guess which one keeps getting the ambient air

As for the rain and water questions, don't worry we have thought of that also. The intake actually sits in the car at a slight angle and any water that comes in collects onto the intake itself most of it never even makes it to the filter area. Then there are the two air diverters on the back of the RAS that direct the air into the intake that prevent any water that did make it back there from hitting the filter directly, and of course there is a drain for the water to exit the intake if it does come in. So like Will mentioned if you are driving in a CAT 5 Hurricane, or through 5 feet of water you may have a problem, otherwise it works great!

Old 09-11-2007, 07:25 AM
cooldaddy
5th Gear
this is a nice (industrial) looking system, looking forward to seeing some numbers...

Last edited by cooldaddy; 09-11-2007 at 01:21 PM. Reason: missing a
Old 09-11-2007, 08:56 AM
apexer
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Dave@ddmworks
We will get everyone some of those torwards the end of the week, the intake really does add to the fun of the car a lot. We will also be showing some acceleration testing we did on the intake, as this is where you notice the complete sealed intake showing improvement over just the exposed filter intake. The reason is that on the dyno with the hood open the exposed filter and our RIS are all getting nice ambient air, but once you close that hood, one keeps getting ambient air and the other does not, I will let everyone guess which one keeps getting the ambient air

As for the rain and water questions, don't worry we have thought of that also. The intake actually sits in the car at a slight angle and any water that comes in collects onto the intake itself most of it never even makes it to the filter area. Then there are the two air diverters on the back of the RAS that direct the air into the intake that prevent any water that did make it back there from hitting the filter directly, and of course there is a drain for the water to exit the intake if it does come in. So like Will mentioned if you are driving in a CAT 5 Hurricane, or through 5 feet of water you may have a problem, otherwise it works great!
I like your explaination better than Will's. Don't think its a function of the turbo to burn off any moisture. I know that on my 04, in heavy rain (not a CAT 5) a lot of water gets dumped on top of the IC. Still would be interested in real world customer feed-back.

Old 09-11-2007, 09:03 AM
Peter@M7Tuning
Former Vendor
I like your explaination better than Will's. Don't think its a function of the turbo to burn off any moisture. I know that on my 04, in heavy rain (not a CAT 5) a lot of water gets dumped on top of the IC. Still would be interested in real world customer feed-back.
Well, true, it was early and my day job is keeping me up late.

The turbo is going to convert any water that gets through the filter into steam pretty readily, cooling the turbo and giving you a sweet free water injection system.

But the water will have to get through the filter faster than gravity takes it around the filter, and into the box. I would not be worried about it.

Old 09-11-2007, 11:49 AM
apexer
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Will @ M7 Tuning
Well, true, it was early and my day job is keeping me up late.

The turbo is going to convert any water that gets through the filter into steam pretty readily, cooling the turbo and giving you a sweet free water injection system.

But the water will have to get through the filter faster than gravity takes it around the filter, and into the box. I would not be worried about it.
Don't you hate mornings

Old 09-11-2007, 12:23 PM
minipete07
3rd Gear
maybe a stupid question...but if you were to use a dry-flow filter with the RAS, would it soak the filter,since its not oiled, or is there a diverter for the water coming in before the filter....As for the cat 5 storms..we get those all the time here in Miami, Fl or at least every storm we have feels like one!
p.s.
whats with the UniChip box i see there!!

Last edited by minipete07; 09-11-2007 at 12:27 PM.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:22 PM
SuwaneeM3
3rd Gear
I have another big concern.

BMW/MINI has had heat issues with all their turbo cars this year. The result was a midyear oil cooler for the 335 and an unblocked scoop for the MCS. The unblocking of the hood scoop was NOT for the purpose of feeding the intake as the stock unit is sealed. It was entirely because the under hood temperatures were sky rocketing and may prematurely wear out some components and/or damage the bonnet finish.

So now with this hood scoop, it is now removing any kind of turbo cooling/venting. I love the idea, but I think we may need to think this thru. What if part of the hood scoop goes to the CAI and the other part goes to venting the top of the turbo?

-s

Old 09-11-2007, 06:17 PM
Xray'dit_Mini
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by SuwaneeM3

BMW/MINI has had heat issues with all their turbo cars this year. The result was a midyear oil cooler for the 335 and an unblocked scoop for the MCS. The unblocking of the hood scoop was NOT for the purpose of feeding the intake as the stock unit is sealed. It was entirely because the under hood temperatures were sky rocketing and may prematurely wear out some components and/or damage the bonnet finish.

So now with this hood scoop, it is now removing any kind of turbo cooling/venting. I love the idea, but I think we may need to think this thru. What if part of the hood scoop goes to the CAI and the other part goes to venting the top of the turbo?

-s
I agree. I was going to affix almost an identical custom setup using Lexan. I changed my mind after I removed my hood scoop grill and felt the heat oozing out from several feet away. With my current setup, I can pop the hood after a long hard drive and the filter is feels as cool or cooler than ambient with out a "tunnel" that routes the air. There may be proof that says that there are a few degrees difference between "tunneled" air and an open element, but I don't think that the good out weighs the bad of all the trapped heat.

Old 09-11-2007, 06:53 PM
rattmobbins
6th Gear
Originally Posted by SuwaneeM3

-s

+1

I was thinking the exact same thing, but these guys haven't mentioned anything, so I wasn't sure if it was really an issue. Seems to me it would be though.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain DDMWorks Race Intake System (RIS)