Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain It came to me in a dream... AWD Mini?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2003, 07:07 AM
Mjolnir
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No kidding!

Ok, what if you were to take a Mini and remove the Engine, transmission and rear seats.

Then...

Get the torch and cut the rear floor out so that it could accomodate an engine and transmission. Obviously, you'd replace with bars or tubing to maintain structural integrity. The existing exhaust channel could now be used for a driveshaft. Fuel, radiator and differential would be up front.

Am I Brilliant? Mad? Brilliantly Mad?

Now, I know this is MAJOR, M A J O R change and you'd lose the back seats. Please don't give me "well, while you're at it just put a missile engine back there". I want to know if you think THIS idea is sound. :smile:

-Jim

P.S. I have another idea for an 8 cylinder Mini, but it's not what you think! Hint: if you saw the Mini snowmobile on Monster Garage you're on the right track. (pun intended)

Old 05-22-2003, 07:17 AM
Minibeast
4th Gear
I had thought of this as well and even discussed it hee at the shop. But instead of replacing the front engine with a rear, we thought of addinga second engine and electronically matching them up for throttle response. You now in essence have an 8 cylnder awd Mini!

Old 05-22-2003, 07:18 AM
8ball
6th Gear
There was a 'factory' attempt at this years ago in a classic Mini ... they called it the Twini Mini and the driver almost got killed when something locked up ..... but it had potential !!
... there was also the big-motor mid-engine conversion using a 6-cylindar Austin 2200 power unit in place of the back seat ...

But if you want reliability in AWD, maybe taking the drive out of something in the Audi Quatro family and shoe-horning it in would be better ...

Old 05-22-2003, 09:50 AM
Astro
3rd Gear
Leave the engine where it is, replace the exhaust with straight pipes going up and through the bonnet, and you've made room for your rear drive line.

Old 05-22-2003, 11:10 AM
timcuculic
1st Gear
>>Leave the engine where it is, replace the exhaust with straight pipes going up and through the bonnet, and you've made room for your rear drive line.

I agree. Take out the exhaust and use that as your driveshaft tunnel.

Buy a wrecked WRX and transplant the whole drivetrain. That way you can dump the exhaust right into the front fender well and it wont be that loud. (cause of the turbo)

.... or you could add sidepipes... or sidePIPE. I dont think i have ever seen a car with only one sidepipe. Neat!

Old 05-22-2003, 05:21 PM
caddman
Banned
rumers are circulating that mini is already working on this, told by a mini sponsored racer!!!

Old 05-23-2003, 04:38 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
an engineering buddy of mine has also consulted on the design of the AWD MINI, so something is stirring, whether we'll ever see it or not is another story!

Old 11-03-2005, 09:32 AM
Da Boy
2nd Gear
Has there been any more word on this? I know Getrag did a prototype but to my knowledge there has been no aftermarket availability...

Now that there are so may viable twin charge kits out there (or soon to be) the implementation of these in conjunction with an AWD kit would be optimal.

Driveability is one of my biggest concerns with the twin charge kits. Even with my lightly modded S... I have some difficulty keeping good traction at quick launches... It is OK, but double the HP to 320 or better and you are going to have even greater traction dificulties.

That in addition to the trackability of an AWD would be very attractive to me.

Old 11-03-2005, 10:45 AM
mini giant
4th Gear
I think the last word out was the Getrag proto-testing.

way to bring back a 2 yr old tread

Old 11-03-2005, 11:34 AM
Da Boy
2nd Gear
I do what I can... I did a search and this was as close as it got...