Driver's School Discuss tips, techniques, and schools for enhancing the driver portion of the performance driving equation.

Looking for Advice on BMWCCA

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 06:38 PM
R53 Speed
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for Advice on BMWCCA

Never having competed before and new to HPDE, the BMWCCA looks like the best for entry level drivers such as myself.
I've looked into racing schools such as Skip Barber, etc.
I've done a PWDA HPDE and that was a blast - looking to do some more.

I'm sure Skip Barber and the like is money well spent but it is alot that I don't have and probably more advanced considering my current experience for the time being.

I've checked their website and will be in contact with them but looking for advice from people who have participated in the BMWCCA to give me some things to consider. It seems fairly inexpensive to get started. I saw they have a 2 day racing school event in the spring for $500.

I've also looked into shifter karts and that also seems like a good place to get started but cost can add up quickly ($4grand for new kart, etc).

I guess I'm looking to get my feet wet so I can get a feel for competitve driving for a low cost, atleast until I get more experience and can graduate onto something else. Where is the best place to start?

Thanks.

Old 02-25-2010, 06:46 PM
kansasbob98
2nd Gear
Haven't done any HPDE's at all. Can tell you however a BMW HPDE is one of the best places to start. They are all about safely driving your car at a speed comfortable for you. Plus you have the opportunity to purchase full coverage insurance on your car thru Lockton Insurance.

Old 02-25-2010, 07:16 PM
R53 Speed
4th Gear
Originally Posted by kansasbob98
Haven't done any HPDE's at all. Can tell you however a BMW HPDE is one of the best places to start. They are all about safely driving your car at a speed comfortable for you. Plus you have the opportunity to purchase full coverage insurance on your car thru Lockton Insurance.
K. Thanks.
Just to add some more info to the situation. Since I only have one car, I will be using my daily for competition...

Old 02-25-2010, 10:44 PM
tazio
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Don't know where you live, but the SF Bay area BMW Club is a good, if expensive, place to start. I've done several weekend HPDEs with them. They are expensive events but very well run and (maybe too) safe. Instructor quality and personality REALLY varies, but on average is quite good. Very few with any FWD experience, though. Just ask to switch if you don't feel good about your instructor after your first session - you'll eventually find a good one that you click with. Best part is having the fancy-pants M3 guys walk up after sessions and check out your car to try and figure out how you smoked 'em so bad.

I also did a Jim Russell one-day course in my car and got a lot more out of that, but it was about twice as much $ as a BMW HPDE. I lucked out that day and it was just me and an E46 M3 on the track, each with our own instructor. Totally worth the money and insanely fun. Good luck!

Old 02-25-2010, 11:53 PM
xphiledan
2nd Gear
Old 02-26-2010, 03:10 AM
R53 Speed
4th Gear
Originally Posted by tazio
Don't know where you live, but the SF Bay area BMW Club is a good, if expensive, place to start. I've done several weekend HPDEs with them. They are expensive events but very well run and (maybe too) safe. Instructor quality and personality REALLY varies, but on average is quite good. Very few with any FWD experience, though. Just ask to switch if you don't feel good about your instructor after your first session - you'll eventually find a good one that you click with. Best part is having the fancy-pants M3 guys walk up after sessions and check out your car to try and figure out how you smoked 'em so bad.

I also did a Jim Russell one-day course in my car and got a lot more out of that, but it was about twice as much $ as a BMW HPDE. I lucked out that day and it was just me and an E46 M3 on the track, each with our own instructor. Totally worth the money and insanely fun. Good luck!
I live in Kentucky. You are reffering to the BMWCCA right? Not just a BMW club? That's one thing that really appealed to me about Phil Wicks - it's about the MINI itself. So all the instuctors not only own a MINI but they have track experience. Like I said, I'll be doing more HPDE with the PWDA to get more experience under my belt but once I'm feeling more confident, I want to take it to competition level which is why I asked about the BMWCCA because they hold club events. Just in case I haven't been clear, I'm looking to race. You know, sponsors and trophies and that whole shabang. Just looking for a good begining.

I bet it would be fun to smoke those M3 jocks!

Old 02-26-2010, 07:10 PM
tazio
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I am talking about the local BMWCCA chapter. I did a Phil Wicks event and it was great fun. Always good to be on the track with lots of other MINIs.

Old 02-27-2010, 01:04 AM
howsoonisnow1985
6th Gear
If you want to go wheel to wheel racing, I would suggest you get an idea what kind of car you want (Miata, E30, E36 or the MINI, etc) If it is in the BMW family you could do the BMWCCA Club Racing route. Then the best route is attend HPDE until you get comfortable in Advanced run group, and then do the club racing school. With NASA it gives you the opportunity to run whatever car. You can run a MINI in Showroom Stock but keep in mind you need all the safety equipment (same with BMW Club Racing) The NASA route is the same HPDE 1 to 3 (Advanced) then 3 meetings and last competition license class (your car needs to be fully prepped for licensing school) There is some fast track programs for NASA but the slow way is more fun, you meet folk that can serve as mentors, you learn how other fellow drivers/racers drive, before you race them. Many do both, the slow route and the fast track, just to enhance their driver skills. Many regions you will find yourself racing with both NASA and BMW Club Racing combined. Whichever you do be greedy at HPDEs what I mean is make sure you ALWAYS get an instructor for all or most of your session. Doesn't matter if you switch instructors (I try to find MINI owers), let them know your plans, so they can explain both school lines and race line, sometimes they differ.

Last edited by howsoonisnow1985; 02-27-2010 at 01:25 AM.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:03 PM
slinger688
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Racing is not cheap whichever alternative you choose.

If you do not want to maintain a race car, then Skip will provide everything you will need (car, instruction, race track time, race series etc.) but at a price.

Old 03-04-2010, 01:48 AM
R53 Speed
4th Gear
Originally Posted by slinger688
Racing is not cheap whichever alternative you choose.

If you do not want to maintain a race car, then Skip will provide everything you will need (car, instruction, race track time, race series etc.) but at a price.
I figured as much . The cheapest looks like doing BMWCCA club events. I can just do stock class. Looks like the only things I'd need are a rollcage, 5-point harness, racing suit & helmet. Maybe a few other things...

I looked into Skip Barber. It's like right at $5,000 for a 5day race class and after you can qualify for the SCCA racing liscense. But, in order to compete in the F1/Formula cars for a season, it cost about $18 grand

I can't swing that. lol

Old 03-04-2010, 04:40 AM
howsoonisnow1985
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MiniMe02
I figured as much . The cheapest looks like doing BMWCCA club events. I can just do stock class. Looks like the only things I'd need are a rollcage, 5-point harness, racing suit & helmet. Maybe a few other things...
I looked into Skip Barber. It's like right at $5,000 for a 5day race class and after you can qualify for the SCCA racing liscense. But, in order to compete in the F1/Formula cars for a season, it cost about $18 grand
I can't swing that. lol
I would suggest a $2000 E30 325, NA Miata, 944, or E36 325. MINI is a pricey car to begin with, if you put a $2000 car in the wall and total it, just buy another one. Also they say the best advice is to just buy an already prepped car, much, much cheaper. There are several race prepped MINIs in the MarketPlace.

Old 03-04-2010, 04:52 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Be aware that there is a difference between a HPDE like NASA or BMWCCA and a racing school like Barber or Russel. The racing schools prepare you to wheel-to-wheel race, and move you toward a license, and the HPDEs teach you high speed car control. BMW HPDEs are good and well organized, if a little officious--which is a good thing if you are new to the track.

Old 03-04-2010, 06:42 AM
slinger688
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by MiniMe02

I can't swing that. lol
Just to make sure you know that Skip is not F1 but Formula Mazda or MX5 Spec racers. And open wheels are very different from bmws or Minis on the track.

A friend of mine bought a formula ford to race open wheels. Then he needs the transportation (trailers, pull vehicle, etc), Maintenance (tools, parts, brakes, tires, other things that break etc), performane go faster parts, track fees, SCCA costs. And don't forget about lots of the seat time. One weekend with no trouble is 2 sets of r-comp tires and 2 sets of brake pads.

Many young people go to Skip racing series (after race school) to try win their race series to get sponsorship for semi pro racing. You cannot beat running in equal cars to see how you stack up and learn. There is always some hope for something more. In all my years on the track, I only know of one kid that have made it to the Playboy MX5 cup series via this route. And know many who tried and did not make it. I have been told that if you are serious, you will need at least $100K a year to get a good enough chance to get to semi pro and only if you have the talent. The better you get, the more it costs. Besides the track and car, the real serious racer folks talk very much about getting sponsorship and $$$.

Otherwise it is amateur track stuff like BMW racing or HPDE.

BTW, you really do learn a lot at Skip in a much more scientific way, very structured toward racing.

Old 03-04-2010, 11:44 AM
R53 Speed
4th Gear
There is no way I can get $100grand in 1 year or 10 years, especially just to put towads that.

I can afford to take his class but I won't be able to go any further so, what's the point?
The BMWCCA sounds more like me. I sold my 944 for my MINI lol. I had a 318is before the 944. Dad bought it for me for like $1800. Ran great. So, I guess there is hope. I just loe being on the track and going WOT. Best feeling in the world. Besides, i know the BMWCCA has races once you've proven to them that you can handle it.

Thanks everyone.