Detailing 101 Need to find out how to pamper your new MINI? Find out all the detailing secrets here.

Car washing for the non-OC

Old 04-08-2012, 08:48 PM
stevielaine
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hello all...I have been reading through the older posts on this thread, and I hate to ask a question that has probably already been discussed, but I am expecting my new Mini Countryman in a few weeks and would love to know what you guys would recommend that I do for my first wash/wax etc. Nothing too fancy, but I do want to get my Mini off to a good start! Thanks in advance for your help!

Old 04-14-2012, 06:46 PM
blbandit
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been reading the thread. I see that they are older but I wanted to know were to get good towels to dry and also the prima products. I just got my first mini and want to keep her looking good. She is red and I live in florida so I know I need to protect her from the sun.

Old 04-14-2012, 09:43 PM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wash thoroughly with Dawn for the first wash.

Clay with Meguiar's C2000 clay
http://www.showcarsupplies.com/shopexd.asp?id=116&bc=no

Wax with Prima Epic or Prima Hydro Seal
http://www.showcarsupplies.com/shopexd.asp?id=67&bc=no

Hydro Seal
http://www.showcarsupplies.com/shopexd.asp?id=245&bc=no

Or if you just don't have the time to put on the longest lasting wax, use Prima Hydro every few weeks.
http://www.showcarsupplies.com/shopexd.asp?id=68&bc=no

Originally Posted by stevielaine
Hello all...I have been reading through the older posts on this thread, and I hate to ask a question that has probably already been discussed, but I am expecting my new Mini Countryman in a few weeks and would love to know what you guys would recommend that I do for my first wash/wax etc. Nothing too fancy, but I do want to get my Mini off to a good start! Thanks in advance for your help!
My Belgian Waffle Towels are hugely popular
http://www.showcarsupplies.com/shopexd.asp?id=224

Or save a bundle with 4 at a time
http://www.showcarsupplies.com/shopexd.asp?id=225

I went to my customers house to detail his M6...I am not mobile, but how could I refuse when he builds his garage just for me to my specs....

Do you see what products he has in his cabinets???

Back in our shop we are the exclusive detail shop for Fisker Automotive Headquarters and the Belgian Waffles, Prima Mystique and Prima Hydro are used on every Karma...a $120,000 car.

Originally Posted by blbandit
I've been reading the thread. I see that they are older but I wanted to know were to get good towels to dry and also the prima products. I just got my first mini and want to keep her looking good. She is red and I live in florida so I know I need to protect her from the sun.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:57 PM
MiniMaybee
6th Gear
Whoa! Can you bring a Karma to MINIs In The Mountains? We would gladly rename it to MINIs & Karmas in the Mountains (M&KITM).

Old 04-16-2012, 06:59 PM
OctaneGuy
Hahah I can ask, lol.

Richard

Originally Posted by MiniMaybee
Whoa! Can you bring a Karma to MINIs In The Mountains? We would gladly rename it to MINIs & Karmas in the Mountains (M&KITM).

Old 05-25-2012, 03:19 PM
eenunez1
3rd Gear
[QUOTE=OctaneGuy=QUOTE]

Richard, good talking to you today! Can't wait to get my wax on, with the Prima products I ordered from you today

Old 05-26-2012, 02:17 AM
stevielaine
2nd Gear
Hi All,
I hope I don't sound like an idiot, but before I got my Mini, I used The Absorber to dry my car, and it seemed to work pretty good. Is there anything wrong with them or any reason not to use them as opposed to using the microfiber towels? Thanks for the help, I ordered a bunch of prima products today!

Old 06-02-2012, 12:47 PM
bronchoboyuco
1st Gear
Just got my MINI and am trying to put together a kit but I have a few questions:

Mystique or Hydro Wash - or both? but that seems redundant (Does Hydro Wash replace Mystique if you use Hydro?)
Spray with Hydro for waxy protection (also - realistically how long will a 16 oz bottle last on a MINI? I'm a once/twice a month washer tops - also the MINI is garage kept but in the Oklahoma sun at work).
Infinity for vinyl (and tire?) I like a slightly glossy finish so I don't think Black Wow is for me if I understand others' comments correctly.
Prima Clarity
Shouldn't need Hydro Seal, right?
And MF towls etc.

So does that sound like a decent beginner/non-ocd kit?

Old 06-02-2012, 02:10 PM
LittleWing
5th Gear
Originally Posted by bronchoboyuco
Just got my MINI and am trying to put together a kit but I have a few questions:

Mystique or Hydro Wash - or both? but that seems redundant (Does Hydro Wash replace Mystique if you use Hydro?)
Spray with Hydro for waxy protection (also - realistically how long will a 16 oz bottle last on a MINI? I'm a once/twice a month washer tops - also the MINI is garage kept but in the Oklahoma sun at work).
Infinity for vinyl (and tire?) I like a slightly glossy finish so I don't think Black Wow is for me if I understand others' comments correctly.
Prima Clarity
And MF towls etc.

Congrats on your MINI!
I think you will want Hydro Seal as a base coat and then maintain it with Hydro.
I think you will want Black Wow too.
Better yet, contact Richard "OctaneGuy" directly and ask him for his recommendations.
He will get you going with what you need.
He also offers a discount to NAM members.
http://www.showcarsupplies.com/shopcustcontact.asp

Enjoy your MINI!

Old 06-02-2012, 03:08 PM
OctaneGuy
I had a super crazy busy day at the shop...went home around 6AM and came back at 10AM..I'm only saying this cause I will be happy to help you with your questions and get a package together for you but I'm totally wiped out right now....thanks

Richard

Originally Posted by bronchoboyuco

Prima Clarity
And MF towls etc.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:19 AM
Roca68
2nd Gear
Hi OctaneGuy,

I am new to this self detailing thing. I have bought a used Mini Next 2009 Cooper in Oxygen Blue from a dealer who had it detailed and would like to try and keep it looking good. To be honest, I am not really one to even wash my car regularly so I am looking for something easy.

I have read through some of this thread and you seem to be "the guy" for this kind of stuff.

I see that you have your own business and I would like to get some products to start this journey.

Does this sound about right?

Hydro wash
Hydro Seal
Hydro
Waffle towel
MF towels

What do you think?

Old 06-27-2012, 12:47 PM
OctaneGuy
Congrats on your new MINI!

I would add some Prima Nero for your interior and Black Wow for all of the exterior trim plastics. Prima Infinity is great on all of the rubber bits including the tires.

As for the waffles..my Belgian Waffles are very unique. They absorb a ton of water and highly recommended.

You can find everything at www.showcarsupplies.com and don't forget your NAM discount in my signature.

Richard

Originally Posted by Roca68
Hi OctaneGuy,

I am new to this self detailing thing. I have bought a used Mini Next 2009 Cooper in Oxygen Blue from a dealer who had it detailed and would like to try and keep it looking good. To be honest, I am not really one to even wash my car regularly so I am looking for something easy.

I have read through some of this thread and you seem to be "the guy" for this kind of stuff.

I see that you have your own business and I would like to get some products to start this journey.

Does this sound about right?

Hydro wash
Hydro Seal
Hydro
Waffle towel
MF towels

What do you think?

Old 06-27-2012, 07:47 PM
Roca68
2nd Gear
Thanks, just put in my order.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:57 PM
OctaneGuy
Awesome I saw it! Thank you so much! Don't forget we offer the BEST Prima support anywhere. Shoot me an email or call me on the toll free number with any questions and I'll be happy to help you get the most from your products!

Richard
Thanks, just put in my order.

Old 07-11-2012, 07:23 AM
Roca68
2nd Gear
Well, ready for the first wash. Do I need to wash with Dawn or will the Hydro Wash work? I do not know what type of wax the dealership put on the car and wondered if the firs was needs to be with Dawn.

Old 07-31-2012, 09:22 AM
Roca68
2nd Gear
Another question. For those quick fixes, can I use Hydro or do I need to use Slick? I'm thinking for bird droppings or spashes.

Thanks

Old 08-01-2012, 08:49 PM
OctaneGuy
You can use either. Slick is the better choice since it's a little less expensive and has gloss enhancers but either Hydro or Slick will work safely.

Another question. For those quick fixes, can I use Hydro or do I need to use Slick? I'm thinking for bird droppings or spashes.

Thanks

Old 08-12-2012, 07:20 PM
Andrew_C
2nd Gear
Holy cow; where to begin?

I just got my 13 Justa Cooper on Friday and from driving over the weekend it got a little muddy so I shot it with my garden hose and wiped it down with a microfiber covered sponge. I got distracted and was unable to dry it off with towels or anything so I've got water spots all over.

I don't want to do any damage to my brand new car and I have absolutely no idea where to begin with all of this stuff. I have a couple of buckets, a microfiber mitt and a sponge and I just ordered a grit guard but with all these products people are talking about; it's making me go cross-eyed.

My car is going to be garaged daily after I get home from work so I'm hoping to minimize the need to clay it(will that even be necessary anytime soon?). At this point I'm assuming I need the following:

-Mystique(applied with the microfiber mitt)
-Epic wax(I've heard it's more forgiving and easier to use than Hydro Seal)
sub question, do I grab some round sponges to apply the Epic?
-some waffle towels to dry
-something to keep the plastic trim looking new(Nero?)

I wish there was still a starter kit on OctaneGuy's site like people were referring to in previous posts.

Am I on the right track? Is there anything vital I'm missing or any glaring errors in what I think I need?

Old 12-02-2012, 03:37 PM
Homazur
1st Gear
My method of wash

First off save money! Don't waist time on expensive washing items...I use AJAX dishwash detergent and I have been doing detailing over 25 years its all I have ever used...check out the shine in my photos....it's mirror finish!! It is a degreaser and super at bug removing and it's cheap! As far as a wax...anything with carnauba in it works wonderful I like the eagle one brand myself and spay on rag and gently wipe and then haze and wipe again....very easy to do....no buffing or hard work here...like I said look at my photos they speak for them self...and as far as any kind of stains on carpets or cloth use regular isopropyl alcohol it removes anything and there again cheap....dollar store item....trust me you don't have to spend a tone of money....

Old 01-21-2013, 03:22 AM
TheZlog
4th Gear
Just to clarify: Is Hydro Seal a replacement/alternative to Epic? I need to lay a good foundation for the lazy man's Hydro wash jobs to be as effective as possible.

Old 02-23-2013, 01:12 PM
Quixter
2nd Gear
So with the hydro is it still best to avoid the black trim on the tire wells?, or is it ok to use hydro on all the exterior? If not, what's the best product to use on the black trim?

Old 02-23-2013, 07:06 PM
eenunez1
3rd Gear
I use Black Wow on the trim surfaces, it's a great product! You don't use a lot of the product a little bit goes a long way.

Old 02-24-2013, 05:08 AM
Quixter
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by eenunez1
I use Black Wow on the trim surfaces, it's a great product! You don't use a lot of the product a little bit goes a long way.
Thanks, Looks like I'm going with that, the Hydro I take it won't leave a haze on the black trim. Going to place an order for the hydro, clarity and black wow.

Old 02-25-2013, 11:07 AM
Peep
3rd Gear
Do you have a basic kit available?

Old 02-27-2013, 09:50 PM
michael103
Neutral
Car sprays are available these days, it is easy to use than polish and wax, hence time saving process. You can go for it.

Last edited by michael103; 02-27-2013 at 10:03 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Car washing for the non-OC