Detailing 101 Need to find out how to pamper your new MINI? Find out all the detailing secrets here.

Car washing for the non-OC

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 06:45 AM
tgs91
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ishimmy4me
I bought Mystique, hydro, wool mitt, some microfiber waffle towels and the Prima glass cleaner and towel. Surely that will at least be ok for a month until I'm more comfortable with the whole process??

Unless there is someone in Alabama that I can hire as a MINI detailing tutor
That will certainly keep your new baby looking good for the time being.

I would add 'Claying' and 'Good Coat of Wax" to the list and you should be good.

As far as claying I suppose you could screw it up if you did it without any lube. Your only issue if you use lube is that fine line between too much lube which means the clay can't get to the surface of the paint and be efffective and too little which *could* cause some minor minor scratching (which could be polished out pretty easily). Use your fingers as the judge, if it feels smooth as a baby's butt your done! Certainly one of the more satisfying feels in car care!

I'm sure Octange Guy could be persuaded to fly to Alabama and detail out your car. It will certainly not be cheap but you will get one hell of a tutorial in paint care!

Old 01-26-2010, 02:46 PM
nan2cool
Neutral
Prima questions

hey, as a new mini owner (2009 MCS Cm), reading thru comments here really helps me out.

Quick question:

1. What is Prima Nero good for in terms of exterior? (I do know it is recommend for plastic and rubber interior...)

2. Do you recommend any Prima microfiber products? (They seem to a bit pricey though but if they are superior, I am willing to spend more)

Proud to be a small!
Cheers.

Old 02-19-2010, 10:26 AM
chiorozco
1st Gear
quick question....
wash with sheepskin wash mitt..
dry/hydro with mf waffle weave drying towel...
interior, seats, and other stuff with mf auto cloth?

is that correct?

Old 02-19-2010, 11:17 AM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Yep!

Old 02-19-2010, 11:22 AM
chiorozco
1st Gear
great ! thanks

Old 02-19-2010, 02:29 PM
LittleWing
5th Gear
I really like the title of this thread and can relate to the OP.
It seems to have turned into a OCD thread for all you detail maniacs.
I say that with awe and affection, as I do appreciate the hard work that y'all put into your beautiful MINIs.
It's just that I will never be there.
When I start hearing about clay, it reminds me that I could use a mud facial myself.
Also, I can see paying more for car shampoo than I use on my own hair.
I am trying though as I love my car and do want her to look her best.
Thanks for all the tips!

Old 02-19-2010, 04:59 PM
jessicaledw
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LittleWing
I really like the title of this thread and can relate to the OP.
It seems to have turned into a OCD thread for all you detail maniacs.
I say that with awe and affection, as I do appreciate the hard work that y'all put into your beautiful MINIs.
It's just that I will never be there.
When I start hearing about clay, it reminds me that I could use a mud facial myself.
Also, I can see paying more for car shampoo than I use on my own hair.
I am trying though as I love my car and do want her to look her best.
Thanks for all the tips!
Amen!

Old 04-18-2010, 12:57 PM
Bothrops
Neutral
Well, I ordered and am awaiting the "Beginner's Kit" from OG. I also ordered some Nero for the leatherette seats and the interior door panels. I have just a couple of questions I'm hoping someone could help me with:
1) Can I use Nero on the black "leatherette" dash WITHOUT it fogging the windshield?
2) Unfortunately, I did not order Black Wow. Should I use Armour All or Nero for the back plastic wheel wells, other matte black plastic exterior trim and black rocker panels?

Thanks for your help!
Ron

Old 04-18-2010, 08:03 PM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
1) Yes!
2) I would use Nero.

Old 04-19-2010, 12:59 PM
Prima Car Care
Banned
Originally Posted by Bothrops
Well, I ordered and am awaiting the "Beginner's Kit" from OG. I also ordered some Nero for the leatherette seats and the interior door panels. I have just a couple of questions I'm hoping someone could help me with:
1) Can I use Nero on the black "leatherette" dash WITHOUT it fogging the windshield?Ron
Absolutely! Nero will NOT fog your windshield.

The fogging that can occur on the inside of your windshield is caused by the release of plasticizers (I know... I think that sounds like a made-up word too!) from the vinyl in your dash. UV light from the sun is typically the driver here. UV, over time, causes the plasticizers to evaporate. Because they evaporate straight up of course, they end up on the inside of the windshield, appearing as a foggy film. Unfortunately, and as you probably already know, it is a pain to clean off.

The key is to block the UV from your vinyl, thereby preventing this plasticizer evaporation. Prima Nero contains a UV-blocker protectant which will help with this. In fact, if you reapply Nero often then you can completely eliminate this foggy film from ever forming to begin with. The required frequency of reapplication will depend on how much exposure the Nero receives; however, reapplying every month will typically cover most situations.

That said, there are some low end products out there that will not only do nothing to prevent this from happening but they can add to it. Some contain chemicals that evaporate easily and add a film of their own- in addition to the vinyl film.

In most cases though, it's a matter of whether or not your product contains a UV blocker/protectant. That's why we often refer to such products as vinyl protectants instead of dressings (even though they do dress a bit too!).

2) Unfortunately, I did not order Black Wow. Should I use Armour All or Nero for the back plastic wheel wells, other matte black plastic exterior trim and black rocker panels?

Thanks for your help!
Ron
That is unfortunate because Black Wow is your most durable choice!

Beyond that though, feel free to use Nero for any of your exterior plastic, vinyl and rubber (including tires). It won't last as long as Black Wow but I think you'll like the nice matte-satin look it gives while it protects these surfaces.

-Heather

Old 04-20-2010, 06:19 AM
Bothrops
Neutral
Thanks for the responses!
It looks like I will be placing another order soon for Black Wow.

Sorry, but I have another question. Since I will be placing another order, I want to maximize my shipping $. In addition to the "Beginners Kit" and Nero that I ordered, what else do I REALLY need? How about Banana Gloss??

I don't want to go crazy and quite frankly don't have a lot of time for detailing. I am more to the NON-OCD side of the equation but would still like it to look nice. By the way, I have a 2010 British Racing Green R56 that has been waxed once since taking delivery in February.

Thank You!
Ron

Old 04-22-2010, 11:51 AM
Bothrops
Neutral
Received my Beginner's Kit and it DOES have Black Wow so it looks like I'm all set.

Thanks!

Old 04-22-2010, 11:58 AM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry for the delayed reply...the "Fresh Start Kit" does include Black Wow as you've discovered. I packed your order. =)

Banana Gloss is a fantastic and easy to use carnauba wax. Definitely something to add to your future purchases. I respond best by email, PM, or my toll free..866 707 9292...I don't always monitor these threads, so please contact me if you have ANY questions.

Richard

Thanks for the responses!
It looks like I will be placing another order soon for Black Wow.

Sorry, but I have another question. Since I will be placing another order, I want to maximize my shipping $. In addition to the "Beginners Kit" and Nero that I ordered, what else do I REALLY need? How about Banana Gloss??

I don't want to go crazy and quite frankly don't have a lot of time for detailing. I am more to the NON-OCD side of the equation but would still like it to look nice. By the way, I have a 2010 British Racing Green R56 that has been waxed once since taking delivery in February.

Thank You!
Ron
Received my Beginner's Kit and it DOES have Black Wow so it looks like I'm all set.

Thanks!

Old 04-23-2010, 03:49 AM
Bothrops
Neutral
Thanks Richard - I appreciate the reply!
Ron

Old 08-09-2010, 04:43 PM
jman311
2nd Gear
Anyone know where I can get some Prima Epic? I am not seeing it anywhere on the Prima site....

Old 08-22-2010, 10:48 PM
Rixter
5th Gear
Originally Posted by jman311
Anyone know where I can get some Prima Epic? I am not seeing it anywhere on the Prima site....
http://www.showcardetailing.com/

Old 08-23-2010, 02:25 PM
Prima Car Care
Banned
Originally Posted by jman311
Originally Posted by Rixter

Plus, here's our complete list:

www.PrimaCarCare.com

-Heather

Old 11-07-2010, 06:07 AM
minigirl4life
1st Gear
I'm droping into this post late, but as I'm waiting for my first Mini to arrive, I am already thinking about it's first wash.....I know, I know....your next OCD contestant has arrived.

In the past I've enjoyed washing my car (non-Mini) and have taken care to do so correctly, but I have a couple of questions:

Old 11-24-2010, 11:21 AM
nikmeister
1st Gear
will Prima Mystique work as a tire cleaner if i scrub my tires with it? or should i use Adam's APC instead?

Old 05-29-2011, 11:20 AM
johnjx5
2nd Gear
Okay, I have a question about water spots. I washed my MINI with Mystique, then I used a blade to wipe off excess water, then I dried while using Hydro. Everything looks great EXCEPT for the roof. It has dozens of water spots. I tried going over them again with the Hydro but it didn't do much. Then I tried Slick as someone else mentioned on here for water spots. Didn't do much either. With the Slick, I was rubbing really hard, and they were barely fading.

Did I do something wrong? And what should I do to remedy this?

Thanks

Old 05-29-2011, 04:55 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Your only option to remover water spots as it is a "contaminant" on/in the Clear Coat is to use a Clay Bar, see OGs site for more info.

Old 05-29-2011, 05:54 PM
johnjx5
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by RJKimbell
Your only option to remover water spots as it is a "contaminant" on/in the Clear Coat is to use a Clay Bar, see OGs site for more info.
How could this have been prevented?

Old 05-30-2011, 06:10 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Originally Posted by johnjx5
How could this have been prevented?
I think most will tell you that the only way to prevent water spots is to not let them form on the car in the first place. Wash only in the shade or in an area where you are under cover, use a "stream" of water and not a spray when rinsing, dry car using the correct MF Towels, product, and technique. Using Water Filteration is $$$, and there are kits to test Water's PH Levels. Don't know if this helps, but a Flawless Finish never comes cheap!!

Old 05-30-2011, 07:05 PM
johnjx5
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by RJKimbell
I think most will tell you that the only way to prevent water spots is to not let them form on the car in the first place. Wash only in the shade or in an area where you are under cover, use a "stream" of water and not a spray when rinsing, dry car using the correct MF Towels, product, and technique. Using Water Filteration is $$$, and there are kits to test Water's PH Levels. Don't know if this helps, but a Flawless Finish never comes cheap!!
It was helpful, thanks. I am going to have to be more careful. I learned how hard the water in northern california is...

Old 04-02-2012, 07:12 PM
arnk0006
Banned
Not bad I like the Hydro. I personally use wash, dry, clay with quick shine Griots, Adams Swirl and Haze polish, Griots fine polish, Griots Sealant and polish combo, and then I use Meguirs Carnuba premium wax (soon to be substituted with Adams Buttery Was). Looks great for weeks then I just use a hit of Quick Shine about once to twice a weeks for touch ups. Colors are rich and blacks are super dark.

Quick Reply: Car washing for the non-OC