Detailing 101 Need to find out how to pamper your new MINI? Find out all the detailing secrets here.

Why didn't anyone tell me about this?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2019, 10:13 PM
Husky44
5th Gear
Received 231 Likes on 167 Posts
Why didn't anyone tell me about this?!

I started "detailing" cars in the late 70s as a teenager (it didn't have a name then). I had been washing and waxing my parents' cars since I was about 12, and learned how to use red rubbing compound and white polishing compound to shine up old faded paint. I had a side business cleaning up cars for the old ladies at my dad's office-more than once I had customers think I had repainted the car! (if you've never used red rubbing compound, don't! It'll ruin clearcoat! But it was a great arm and hand workout, and especially on a 78 Chevrolet Caprice Wagon!)

OK, I digressed-my point was, I've been doing this car detailing thing for a long time. I learned about clay bar about 10 years ago, and thought I was pretty well up to date. I also don't let my cars get in too bad of shape, although I also don't have the time to put in that I used to.

So my new-to-me 06 MCS was a solid car, but the paint had been neglected. I knew I needed a new product for clearcoat, so I started researching. I'd heard about Griot's Garage products before, and found out that they are located right here in my new town of Tacoma, WA! (I know there's great suppliers/sponsors here on the forum, and normally I support sponsors whenever I can, but I also try to buy local, and it's really nice to walk into the store, talk to people, and demo the products on your own car in their shop before you buy).

There I went again - - back to the story: I stopped a few weeks ago, and against my better judgment let them talk me into buying a starter kit with a random orbital polisher. I felt kinda wasteful - - it's only a Mini for crying out loud.

This afternoon I decided to tackle the car. WOW! In 5 hours, I washed, clay barred, polished, and waxed the car AND polished the glass! This machine is amazing!!! The Mets ni looks awesome (pics would be good, but it was dark when I finished). All of the water spots are gone from the paint and the glass, and this, thing SHINES! There's no way I would have accomplished this much without the machine.

I wish I'd have bought one 20 years sooner!

The following 4 users liked this post by Husky44:
bratling (08-09-2019), Mini-Minion (08-31-2019), R56_COOPER_S (04-14-2020), RLucky82 (06-15-2019)
Old 04-29-2019, 06:52 AM
cooper48
6th Gear
Received 549 Likes on 446 Posts
Ditto. When I bought my 2004 R53 the paint needed work. A DA polisher from Harbor Freight, rubbing compound, polishing compound followed by wax solved the problem. You can now see clouds passing by in the paint. It's a ton of work but the end result for a 15-year-old car is amazing .

The following 2 users liked this post by cooper48:
bratling (08-09-2019), Mini-Minion (08-31-2019)
Old 04-29-2019, 10:03 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
I've been a Griot's guy for several years and can confirm every thing you say. Our "Pacific Coast Highway" tour 3 years ago took us up as far as Port Angeles then a mandatory stop in Tacoma for that visit to the shop. Those damned fools had the opportunity to allow this overly qualified test driver to test drive the Lamborghini they had parked in their shop but no, they couldn't recognize the opportunity before them. Oh well. One unrelated positive came out of that visit and I'd highly recommend searching it out. They sent us to Dirty Oscar's Annex for lunch, fantastic. It was featured on Diners, Dives and etc. season 17 episode 1, well worth the effort.

The following users liked this post:
Joshua P (05-28-2019)
Old 04-29-2019, 03:23 PM
Fastlane
4th Gear
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
I also just used a DA polisher for the first time on Saturday......bought it (harbor freight) last summer after I bought my current MINI. This car had not been maintained well (cosmetically) over the last 13 yrs, so anything would be an improvement. I am shocked at how well it came out. A couple hours work with Maguires Ultimate Compound and it gleams. Such an improvement.

I think a lot of folks shy away from DA polishers either because of the cost or because they are afraid they’ll screw up and damage something. Decent machines can be bought pretty cheap (mine was $50 with a coupon I believe) and DA machines are pretty foolproof with much less risk involved than a rotary style machine.

Mini-Minion (08-31-2019)
Old 04-29-2019, 03:37 PM
co0p3r
4th Gear
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts
I have the Cable Porter DA and it works nice, but I recently got turned on to the Milwaukee Cordless Polisher:

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Produc...ishers/2738-20

this thing kick *** and takes names, you literally can do a whole MINI with it and one full size battery.

Old 04-29-2019, 09:02 PM
Husky44
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Fly'n Brick
One unrelated positive came out of that visit and I'd highly recommend searching it out. They sent us to Dirty Oscar's Annex for lunch, fantastic. It was featured on Diners, Dives and etc. season 17 episode 1, well worth the effort.
I live about 1/2 mile from Dirty Oscar's. Tacoma is a great town for good eating. I lived in Alaska when I started reading about Griot's. Had no idea they were in Tacoma until I had moved here and drove by one day. Injured my neck doing a double take. 😂

Old 04-29-2019, 09:09 PM
Husky44
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Fastlane
I think a lot of folks shy away from DA polishers either because of the cost or because they are afraid they’ll screw up and damage something. Decent machines can be bought pretty cheap (mine was $50 with a coupon I believe) and DA machines are pretty foolproof with much less risk involved than a rotary style machine.
I spent a bit of time hanging around body shops, and hearing horror stories about "burning paint" with a buffer. I was always afraid of doing damage. When I went in, I was planning on just buying the products to do the Mini by hand, but after talking to them, watching them, and realizing that the DA takes the risk out of the old style buffers, I sprung for the machine. I'm glad I did. I'm sure I could have found a cheaper one, but their customer service seems first rate and when I bought the package, the price wasn't astronomical. I'm expecting this to last a lifetime.

I'm never not using it again!

Saw my work in daylight today. Car looks like a lighter color, and shines like it's brand new. The glass may be the most impressive part. Driving around today on a cloudless day, and it was like all of the windows were invisible.

Mini-Minion (08-31-2019)
Old 04-30-2019, 05:37 AM
cooper48
6th Gear
Husky44, I'm curious to know what you did to the glass. Are you saying that you used the DA polisher on it? If so, please explain the process.

Old 04-30-2019, 06:28 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
Originally Posted by cooper48
Husky44, I'm curious to know what you did to the glass. Are you saying that you used the DA polisher on it? If so, please explain the process.
I'll help him out here. Same basic process as used on the painted surfaces. Clean, clay bar, polish and seal. Here's a resource:
https://www.griotsgarage.com/categor...ow+to+glass.do

Old 04-30-2019, 06:30 AM
Husky44
5th Gear
Originally Posted by cooper48
Griot's has a "Fine Glass Polish" and glass polishing pads for their DA. Not sure if it's acceptable to link here). They've even got video on how to do it. Highly impressed.

Old 05-03-2019, 07:54 PM
Alpha Motoring
6th Gear
Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts
Own a G21 and G15 BOSS polisher. Both great to have in the arsenal

Old 05-05-2019, 04:46 PM
sbreech
2nd Gear
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
I'm new to this board, but not to detailing cars. After trying almost every product out there, I am a firm believer in Griot's Garage products. They are simply top-notch. I like to use their spray wash and spray wax in between thorough wash and waxes.

Old 05-06-2019, 10:21 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
I think next time I detail my car I'll go somewhere and get it detailed/polished, the glass too. I'm not really stoked to buy one and do it myself (I claybarred mine yesterday). My Eclipse Grey paint could probably use it after 5 years lol.

Old 05-06-2019, 10:01 PM
Husky44
5th Gear
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
I think next time I detail my car I'll go somewhere and get it detailed/polished, the glass too. I'm not really stoked to buy one and do it myself (I claybarred mine yesterday). My Eclipse Grey paint could probably use it after 5 years lol.
I really didn't plan on buying one either... But I bet I spent less than I would have if I would have paid to have it done AND I have unlimited future details for not much more than a few bucks worth of expendables. This is SO MUCH FASTER!!! I'm not getting a cut from anyone, but this is worth it, in my book.

Old 05-07-2019, 10:30 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Husky44
I really didn't plan on buying one either... But I bet I spent less than I would have if I would have paid to have it done AND I have unlimited future details for not much more than a few bucks worth of expendables. This is SO MUCH FASTER!!! I'm not getting a cut from anyone, but this is worth it, in my book.
What's the difference between a "DA" polisher and the rotary orbital units? The one with the link attached is battery operated but it's $250! I'm not that serious about this lol. I could handle $50 though.

Old 05-07-2019, 10:35 AM
cooper48
6th Gear
DA stands for dual-action. It spins and oscillates back/forth. Check Harbor Freight for the best price.

Mini-Minion (08-31-2019)
Old 05-08-2019, 05:26 PM
Husky44
5th Gear
What's the difference between a "DA" polisher and the rotary orbital units? The one with the link attached is battery operated but it's $250! I'm not that serious about this lol. I could handle $50 though.
This is the one I got, but I bought mine as part of a kit: https://www.griotsgarage.com/product...rPicks&from=fn

This is the kit: https://www.griotsgarage.com/product...rPicks&from=fn I added some stuff for glass, and a few other things I needed, and still think I was out the door for under $300. Not sure you could get a quality detail for that price. You can probably get a cheaper one, but this one does come with a lifetime warranty, which means more to me since I can walk back into their store. DA=Random Orbital... Same idea.

Old 05-22-2019, 10:34 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Harbor freight has these things for under $100. I'm considering one. Is there a "how to use an orbital buffer on your paint" video or website? That tells you what stuff to use and what with it detailing your paint?

Mini-Minion (08-31-2019)
Old 05-22-2019, 10:42 AM
cooper48
6th Gear
My DA polisher is from Harbor Freight and I used inexpensive Turtle Wax rubbing and polishing compound on my 15-year old MC40. I found it worked better than Mother's. The paint turned out amazing for it's age. The process is not hard - you simply have to ensure you use plenty of polish (don't let the pad get dry) and keep it moving. Start with the rubbing compound, then the polishing compound, then wax. Check Harbor Freight for pads also. Different colored pads have different textures - some are coarser than others. Really couldn't be easier and near impossible to screw up.

Mini-Minion (08-31-2019)
Old 05-22-2019, 11:27 AM
Husky44
5th Gear
Harbor freight has these things for under $100. I'm considering one. Is there a "how to use an orbital buffer on your paint" video or website? That tells you what stuff to use and what with it detailing your paint?
Griot's website has a lot of how-to information and videos

Mini-Minion (08-31-2019)
Old 05-28-2019, 02:31 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE

I got a 7 inch ($50) polisher/sander from Harbor Freight, and a #6 and #8 six inch buffing pads and a $25 bottle of Maguire's light paint polisher. Watched a couple videos. Washed, then paint buffed, spray waxed, and polished. Came out pretty good for a beginner. And I did the windshield too, that worked GREAT.

Mini-Minion (08-31-2019)