Detailing 101 Need to find out how to pamper your new MINI? Find out all the detailing secrets here.

Trim around roof and drying the grills

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 04:56 PM
Jeff S.
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trim around roof and drying the grills

You do not get to really know what your car looks like until you wash and wax it. I do not know what kind of trim is use around where the roof connects with the body and windshield. It feels very rough and I am afraid to wax it fearing that it will hold the wax and turn white. What have you MINI owners used to protect it.

Secondly, do any of yu have a rick to getting the water out of the front and rear grills when finished washing. I am using Griot's drying microfiber towels but they don't seem to get in there and really dry out the grill materials. I can bang against the grills and water still drips out.

Old 03-23-2008, 06:24 PM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't wax the rubber/plastic piece between the roof and body. I use 303 Protectant on it.

For the grills, use compressed air.

Old 03-23-2008, 06:29 PM
Striped Toad
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Ive used restore black on the trim, i think its kinda like a dye, not silicone based. I recomend an air compressor around areas like mirrors, weatherstripping, or any tight cracks that might hold water.

Old 03-23-2008, 06:37 PM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
For the grilles: air compressor or leaf blower

For the rain gutter trim: Black Wow every 2-3 months, then Nero it weekly when you wash the car.

Old 03-23-2008, 08:01 PM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry for going off topic but I saw the funniest thing today--tried to get a picture but couldn't get my freakin camera phone out of lock mode before he drove away.

It was a Jeep Cherokee and it was obvious the owner spray painted his arches and body trim with paint because it was all over the paint adjacent to the plastic. Was really kind of sad..if only he had known about BW .

I agree with others--air compressor is the best way to get the water out of the grills. An alternative would be an Absorber towel with some patience, lol.

BWing the trim around the roof is really easy. Just set the Trim Masking card in the gutter and apply.
ab

Old 03-23-2008, 08:17 PM
cloud10
4th Gear
Thanks for that help. I was wondering the same thing as I washed the Clubby today. I used the edge of a microfiber to get into the seams and thought I should break out q-tip to dry the grill. Have to look into the air compressor. We have a huge one in the garage that Rich bought, but I have no idea how to run it. He is in his wheelchair full time now and it's hard to get him out to the garage in back.
I was really impressed with the Clarity from Detailers Paradise for the glass. I opted out of using their wax as I didn't want to wait 30 minutes to an hour for the wax, so I used my BMW's Zymol. Lord I do love Zymol just for the smell and the results are impressive. I used the wheel wax from DP and it did a great job. The Clubby doesn't have a lot of road grime as it now has just over 400 miles and has been washed several times since I got it, but putting on that wheel stuff really made a difference. I just wipe the wheels down when I get home and they are perfect.

I'll be taking it on a road trip to Utah and I'm wondering if I should just clean it each night with the quick spray stuff. Hate to see it get dirty on the trip.

Old 03-24-2008, 05:39 AM
D3m0N
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just watch some of the air compressors spit a bit of oil out the line from time to time make sure there is a line filter.

Old 03-24-2008, 02:38 PM
Busta J
1st Gear
If you place your hand flat against the rear grill for a moment, it breaks the surface tension of the water and it just sort of falls out. Doesn't get it completely dry of course, but it's still neat.