DC Metro MINIs (Archive) The old DC Metro MINIs club forum, now closed. Visit their new forums at www.dcmetrominis.org/forums

JCW steering wheel done - WOW

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 01:03 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK, I picked up my MINI last night from MoS, for the scheduled maintainence visit, a couple of minor adjustments, tech inspection for Sunday's Track Day...

...and the installation of the JCW Steering Wheel.

In short, I LOVE the wheel - it feels fantastic - even in all leather form (not alcantara/suede). Highly recommended, although people with really small hands may not like it quite as much, since it is thicker. It is more padded and "cushy", and gives additional grippy confidence! Try before you buy - anyone is welcome to a sit-down at DCMM events. It's not cheap (what JCW accessory is?), but I think it's well worth it.

As an aside to this, I did get (again) the 10% discount on the labor as a DCMM member, so I can confirm up-to-date that they do give the labor discount at MoS.

Also, my rear camera, camera interface, leather cup holder ring and gear gaitor ring arrived today. Just waiting on the dash itself, the downtubes, and the front cameras. Oh, and installation instructions for the camera stuff. Hehe. (MotoringFile does have the rear camera install, but I haven't seen a front camera install doc yet)

Old 10-12-2006, 01:06 PM
xcaligali
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Edge
OK, I picked up my MINI last night from MoS, for the scheduled maintainence visit, a couple of minor adjustments, tech inspection for Sunday's Track Day...

In short, I LOVE the wheel - it feels fantastic - even in all leather form (not alcantara/suede). Highly recommended, although people with really small hands may not like it quite as much, since it is thicker. It is more padded and "cushy", and gives additional grippy confidence! Try before you buy - anyone is welcome to a sit-down at DCMM events. It's not cheap (what JCW accessory is?), but I think it's well worth it.

As an aside to this, I did get (again) the 10% discount on the labor as a DCMM member, so I can confirm up-to-date that they do give the labor discount at MoS.

Also, my rear camera, camera interface, leather cup holder ring and gear gaitor ring arrived today. Just waiting on the dash itself, the downtubes, and the front cameras. Oh, and installation instructions for the camera stuff. Hehe. (MotoringFile does have the rear camera install, but I haven't seen a front camera install doc yet)
And which side of your bed does Mr. OEM sleep on?

Old 10-12-2006, 03:42 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Originally Posted by xcaligali
And which side of your bed does Mr. OEM sleep on?
LOL... a long time ago when I started getting "into my car" with my Mustang, my parents labelled it my "mistress". I guess I have two mistresses now... but the older one is feeling neglected as it just sits there. Such a shame!

Old 10-12-2006, 03:58 PM
JustJAY
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LOL... a long time ago when I started getting "into my car" with my Mustang, my parents labelled it my "mistress". I guess I have two mistresses now... but the older one is feeling neglected as it just sits there. Such a shame!
That is just the way of life, always going for the improved model.

Old 10-12-2006, 04:01 PM
Paul!
6th Gear
In short, I LOVE the wheel - it feels fantastic - even in all leather form (not alcantara/suede). Highly recommended, although people with really small hands may not like it quite as much, since it is thicker....
I got short, stubby little hands, and I liked the wheel just fine when I 'test-grabbed' it before the run last Saturday!

Then again, in the interest of science and the MINI community at large, maybe you should let me borrow it for a few months in my MINI just to make sure that I like it. Ya know, for the MINI community.

So, should I pick up the wheel this weekend? I'm sure it can't be too hard to swap!

-Paul!

Old 10-12-2006, 04:11 PM
Scavenger
6th Gear
You should probably drive mistress #1 at least once a week so it isn't too jealous of mistress #2. (or has #2 become #1)

Old 10-12-2006, 04:27 PM
JustJAY
6th Gear
I guess it is unanamous, we need to give Edge a feel....... His wheel anyway.

Old 10-12-2006, 04:48 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Highly recommended, although people with really small hands may not like it quite as much, since it is thicker.
My wife and I both have small hands, and we like the JCW steering wheel a lot. The only thing I don't like is the excessive stitching behind the spoke areas, which have a rough feeling.
Oh, and installation instructions for the camera stuff. Hehe. (MotoringFile does have the rear camera install, but I haven't seen a front camera install doc yet)
I purchased my rear camera and interface from newministuff.com, and it came with installation instructions for both front and rear cameras -- but in German only. I look forward to your front camera review. I've been thinking that I may find it useful for my regular driving in congested (both traffic and pedestrians) parts of the city with narrow streets.

Old 10-12-2006, 07:58 PM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Hmmmm I wonder how the car will feel with the non-MINI addition coming on Saturday

Old 10-12-2006, 08:12 PM
Rossii
5th Gear

Just wondering if the JCW Wheel has the same feel and thickness as the M Roadster or X3 Sport Wheel?

Old 10-12-2006, 10:52 PM
WxSquid
2nd Gear
I just ordered mine from newministuff in the UK. With a 5% MotoringFile discount, it came to $444 shipped from across the pond. Not a bad price, and it will be waiting for me when I get back.

My parents garage now has four boxes for the car and a new golf club (driver) waiting for me... ::rolleyes::

Old 10-13-2006, 08:18 AM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Originally Posted by mdsbrain
Hmmmm I wonder how the car will feel with the non-MINI addition coming on Saturday
Hey, Mr. OEM doesn't mind non-OEM stuff if those items are simply not available from MINI.

The list of non-OEM mods:
  • Invisishield clear-bra
  • Ian Cull's Auto-Up Circuit
  • Terk SIRIUS radio antenna (since the OEM one is not compatible with the factory Nav)
  • Schroth R4 Harnesses
  • Various decals & stickers on windows from different places
That's it! EVERYTHING else is OEM.

Old 10-13-2006, 08:37 AM
xcaligali
4th Gear
Originally Posted by JustJAY
I guess it is unanamous, we need to give Edge a feel....... His wheel anyway.
Do we have to buy him dinner before feeling him up?

As for small hands I would be willing to bet I have the smallest hands. I have yet to meet an adult with smaller hands. High five!

Old 10-13-2006, 09:00 AM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Do we have to buy him dinner before feeling him up?
Dinner is OPTIONAL!
As for small hands I would be willing to bet I have the smallest hands. I have yet to meet an adult with smaller hands. High five!
Hmm - maybe you should use both hands.

Old 10-13-2006, 09:08 AM
xcaligali
4th Gear
Dinner is OPTIONAL!
Wow, you are a cheap date!!! Any car would be happy to date you.

Hmm - maybe you should use both hands.
I only use both hands when it is warranted

Old 10-13-2006, 09:22 AM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Wow, you are a cheap date!!! Any car would be happy to date you.
Yeah, but cars are so expensive... they keep asking for gas, oil, tires... it never ends! Maybe I need to get the bicycle out.
I only use both hands when it is warranted
OUCH! ZING! Nice one... now go sit at the kiddie table - I hear they have the cutest little plastic knives and forks to protect those precious little hands!

Oh, and you better make that high five a high ten while you're at it.

Old 10-13-2006, 09:43 AM
JustJAY
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mdsbrain
Mr. OEM will now be Mr. Mostly OEM

Old 10-13-2006, 09:47 AM
JustJAY
6th Gear
Do we have to buy him dinner before feeling him up? ...........
Dinner is OPTIONAL!......
Wow, you are a cheap date!!! Any car would be happy to date you.........
You could always go to Taco Bell and a daytime movie? I bet that you put you at around $6/person.