DC Metro MINIs (Archive) The old DC Metro MINIs club forum, now closed. Visit their new forums at www.dcmetrominis.org/forums

Confessions of a newbie run leader

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 06:03 AM
SpitfireMkI
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Confessions of a newbie run leader

Just like a pilot soloed for the first time, I feel like I'm on top of the world.....errr....well....sort of......

I really enjoyed my first chance to lead the club run Sunday through glorious Howard County, I knew the roads quite well, having put Wensley through her paces on them many times in the past so that went well

However, leading a gaggle of Coops is another thing....so here is what I learned:

1) My short wheel based Cooper turned into the longest 18 wheeler ever and I really need to pay attention and think what effect my actions will have on the tail end.

2) Pilot and Navigator/caller should know the route well before hand. In our case, I did, but my wife was weak on the route, not knowing exactly when turns were coming, thus I started calling the turns.

3) Think ahead when making turns from stop signs and lights as to where you can pull over for the rest to catch up-safely

4) Always keep (this is for everyone) a MINI in your rearview mirror

5) Follow speed limits in higher populated or trafficked areas, 10-20 over the limit is ok in open areas.

6) The drive up front is slow, well, compared to what I would normally run those roads at ! But I do not recall exceeding 50 mph yet the tail did. Announce this prior to making the run so members can choose their rate of fun.

It would be nice if the old "hares" of the club would document the duties of the leader, mid-pack and sweeper positions so that we'll all be on the same page and us newbies will have a good understanding of the responsibilities.

I hope everyone enjoyed the ride

Thanks to Katie for all of her advice and input during the run !

Cheers,

Mike

Old 11-05-2007, 06:09 AM
kgdblu
6th Gear
ya did fine...no one got lost..no one wrecked...and your route was fun.

Old 11-05-2007, 06:12 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
IT's easy to follow...

hard to lead. In more than just run groups! FWIW, when it the pack, it seems like little drag races. when in the front, it seems slow, slow, slow. A lot of the groups print up run sheets as well before going.

Matt

Old 11-05-2007, 02:16 PM
minirab
5th Gear
A job well done Thoroughly enjoyable.

Old 11-05-2007, 02:26 PM
SpitfireMkI
6th Gear
Looking forward to more ! I'll work on the PA run for next year, the roads are fantastic with positive camber, changing elevation and smooth asphalt !

Old 11-05-2007, 04:37 PM
Maxicooper
6th Gear
Great job indeed.

And you have everyone with you until the end, no one's missing.
The mission's 100% accomplished.

But you've missed the excitement of missing 19 MINIs out of 29 MINIs during run!!! ha ha ha

Old 11-06-2007, 04:51 AM
Jen
6th Gear
Originally Posted by SpitfireMkI
It would be nice if the old "hares" of the club would document the duties of the leader, mid-pack and sweeper positions so that we'll all be on the same page and us newbies will have a good understanding of the responsibilities.
Someone one the current board should have this, as I drafted en entire semi-manual for putting together and leading runs back in the early days of the club.

Old 11-06-2007, 04:25 PM
sheilasbutterfly
Neutral
I'd like a copy for sure

Cheers,

Mike

Old 11-06-2007, 04:28 PM
SpitfireMkI
6th Gear
OOOppps, I posted under Leona's screen name, I'll be updating her Wensleydale photo shortly.

Cheers,

Mike

Old 11-06-2007, 05:24 PM
R56 Ed
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
You folks did a great job!

Never would have guessed it was your first time I just led my first MINI group a few weeks ago (just 4 cars) and I can appreciate your concerns. Something that should always be shared before the run begins, in addition to the lead/sweeper duties, is protocol for the folks in the middle. For instance, it's tough for folks to know just how close to follow, and some folks just aren't comfortable driving at the same speeds (some like it faster, some slower). Maybe there could be some discussion before the run about what to expect (you and Katie did a good job of this, IMHO) and what the rest of us should do. And maybe ask preferences about speeds. In some groups, the slower cars are encouraged to run in the front of the group, and the faster guys in the back. It's easier for the quick guys to catch up if the need arises. Especially you guys with the S models

Something we used to do in motorcycle runs is to make each person responsible for the person behind them (I think this was mentioned Sunday). Slow down to always keep the car behind us in sight and reasonably close.

Anyway, thanks again for a terrific run! Next time you're near Annapolis, give me a shout and I'd love to share some our our local twisties with ya

Old 11-06-2007, 07:57 PM
Maxicooper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Jen
Someone one the current board should have this, as I drafted en entire semi-manual for putting together and leading runs back in the early days of the club.
I might have one (not from DCMM), that I copied from an article in MC2 magazine couple of months ago. I have to find where did I keep it.

Old 11-06-2007, 08:02 PM
kgdblu
6th Gear
Originally Posted by hypnohealer
You folks did a great job!

Never would have guessed it was your first time I just led my first MINI group a few weeks ago (just 4 cars) and I can appreciate your concerns. Something that should always be shared before the run begins, in addition to the lead/sweeper duties, is protocol for the folks in the middle. For instance, it's tough for folks to know just how close to follow, and some folks just aren't comfortable driving at the same speeds (some like it faster, some slower). Maybe there could be some discussion before the run about what to expect (you and Katie did a good job of this, IMHO) and what the rest of us should do. And maybe ask preferences about speeds. In some groups, the slower cars are encouraged to run in the front of the group, and the faster guys in the back. It's easier for the quick guys to catch up if the need arises. Especially you guys with the S models

Something we used to do in motorcycle runs is to make each person responsible for the person behind them (I think this was mentioned Sunday). Slow down to always keep the car behind us in sight and reasonably close.

Anyway, thanks again for a terrific run! Next time you're near Annapolis, give me a shout and I'd love to share some our our local twisties with ya
we have twisties? I've lived here 10 years and haven't found really decent roads on the western shore...

Old 11-06-2007, 08:22 PM
wolf617
4th Gear
Originally Posted by kgdblu
we have twisties? I've lived here 10 years and haven't found really decent roads on the western shore...
Oh yeah!
Ed sniffed out some incredible roads on the Tate breakfast run.

Old 11-06-2007, 08:25 PM
Maxicooper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by wolf617
Oh yeah!
Ed sniffed out some incredible roads on the Tate breakfast run.
And I missed that one.

Old 11-06-2007, 09:02 PM
PGT
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
rule of thumb is that you follow from in front. What that means is that you always keep sight of the car behind you so that the group stays cohesive (like with traffic, lights, etc). I learned this trick offroading with the Jeep guys years back. Add some route notes, radios and cell # for the group leader and nobody will get left behind, sweeper or not.

Old 11-06-2007, 09:04 PM
JustJAY
6th Gear
Originally Posted by PGT
rule of thumb is that you follow from in front. What that means is that you always keep sight of the car behind you so that the group stays cohesive (like with traffic, lights, etc). I learned this trick offroading with the Jeep guys years back. Add some route notes, radios and cell # for the group leader and nobody will get left behind, sweeper or not.
Man, what have you NOT done.

Old 11-06-2007, 09:11 PM
PGT
Banned
I haven't been to Europe yet (besides being born in Athens I mean)

Old 11-07-2007, 07:40 AM
SpitfireMkI
6th Gear
Thanks for the words of encouragement everyone !