D Stock Affordable/good harness for auto-x

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 01:44 PM
Daniel Castillo
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Affordable/good harness for auto-x

Hello there,

I just completed my second auto-x event over the weekend and need some advice/ info. I compete with two other Coopers with experienced drivers/slick tires and find myelf not so far behind and wanting to get even closer.
After figuring out the particulate tire pressure that works with my run-flats (or rocks) on my G-stock '05MCS, I realized that my next investment should be a harness. (Trying to hang on to the side of my seat when I should be keeping my hands on the steering and shifting duties made the point very clear. I do the twisting trick on the lap belt, but still move around, no matter how tight and forward I sit.)

...question: what is the best harness out there at an affordable price (around $200) and requiring no drilling/changes to my everyday car?

Soloracer.com is selling a four point schroth rallye quick fit which looks pretty good, for $224 (free shipping)

is this a good choice? How easy is it to install? any users out there?
thanks!

Old 02-05-2007, 01:49 PM
Drillslinger
6th Gear
The Schroth is probably the most popular one for the MINI. I don't have one myself, I have a CG Lock instead and for the occasional Auto-X, it works fine (Plus, it's only $40 )

Old 02-05-2007, 01:51 PM
mininvy
2nd Gear
As people will tell you, you cannot put a price on safety. The Schroth harness is easy to install. When ordering the harness, order the shoulder pads as well. They are normally a extra, but one time on the track during spirited driving and you will notice the difference.

Straight forward install, however, if you have a late 05 and 06 build date read the instructions, the mounts I believe changed a little so you have to a little bending. Nothing to difficult.

Good luck!
Cheers!

Old 02-05-2007, 01:55 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I have the Schroth Quick-fit that I bought from soloracer.com (the same harness you're looking at). A lot of other MINI drivers use it as well, because it's the only one out there that uses the factory belt buckle receptacles and doesn't require any drilling/fabrication. I like mine a lot, and for a $225 harness, it's pretty nice.

When you go to adjust it, make sure you get the lapbelts tight over your hipbones *before* you tighten the shoulder straps. If you don't, tightening the shoulder straps will pull the lapbelts up off of your hips.

I'm also not too comfortable with Schroth's anti-submarining solution. Basically, in the case of an impact, you don't want to slide forward under the lap belt. With a five-point harness, this isn't possible, of course. Since the Schroth is a four-point, they developed the ASM system, where upon impact, one of the shoulder straps lengthens by a few inches, while the other one stays fixed. This is designed to **twist your upper body** to keep you from submarining under the belt. I'm sure it's effective, but if I ever have to use it, I'll be living at my massage therapist's house for a month afterwards.

Old 02-05-2007, 08:08 PM
90STX
5th Gear
Another option that is super easy to instal is a 5 point harness which uses a y-style shoulder belt with a clip-on attachment. I'm using a Simpson cam-lock, but there are many sources. The lap belt should have the bolt-in style mounting tabs, but then you just use the stock seatbelt mounting bolts. There is plenty of thread engagement to have both the stock lap belt and the harness mounted at the same time. There is plenty of room for the harness lapbelts to get tucked next to the driver's seat when you are using the OEM belts on the street. This setup doesn't hinder adjusting the seat forward and back, nor up and down.

The should belt clip can be snapped onto the driver's side rear seatback latching loop. Just lower your rear seat on the driver's side, and that will expose a relatively beefy loop to clip on to. This IS NOT a suitable mounting point for road racing, but works great for autocross.

I also use a fifth point strap, looped around one of the cross bars underneath the seat. This keeps the lap belt from being dragged up when you really snug down the shoulder belts.

I've been using this set-up since the fall of '02 on my MCS, and a similar arrangement in my previous autocross car for since 2000.

Scott
90SM

Old 02-07-2007, 07:16 AM
Daniel Castillo
1st Gear
Thank you all for the tips, I ordered the Schroth harness with the shoulder straps and feel confident I made a good choice. Let the times fall!
thanks again!

Old 02-07-2007, 10:24 AM
GRMPer
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I love Schroth quickfit as well...I took it off my 2005 and hope it fits the incoming 2007.

Per

Old 02-13-2007, 05:49 PM
minifinn
4th Gear
Started with just locking the standard seat belt and running the seat forward....

Next went to a GC lock....

Then to a 5 pt full-race harness.....

Then to a schroth.....

Finally back to a GC lock....

It is all personal preference. In a stock class car, I like my upper body to have a little more movement with my butt secure. The GC works great for me. It is also a lot quicker getting in and out with a co-driver. (I'm always late to grid )

If you think you need your upper body more secure, I would go with the Schroth.

Old 02-14-2007, 09:11 AM
Veni_Vidi_Vici
5th Gear
FWIW, I also got thrown around a lot as a neophyte autoxer. I got the Schroth, but I noticed a lot of instructors/fast drivers wouldn't use it in my car. Now that I'm a bit better I don't like it, either. It turns out that if I drive more smoothly I'm faster and don't get thrown around uch at all. One of the Evolution AutoX school instructors drove my Mini with one hand and only a lap belt and beat the crap out of my times. He wasn't just smoth, he was smooooooth.

Old 02-14-2007, 09:29 AM
Motoring
5th Gear
Instructors jumping in and out of cars, do not want to mess with harnesses.

In my experience, I am faster with the harness than without it. It is a subtle difference. With the harness I do not have to brace myself for turns, no distractions. Without it I have to hang on, and it makes it difficult to do things, like shift, while turning.

But, if you are not comfortable with the harness it will be more distracting than helpful...

my .02 (I have a 5 point attached similarly to 90STX)

Old 02-14-2007, 06:12 PM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
Nobody does the old "snap the belt forward to lock it in place and then put it on" trick? I have done this for over 20 years with great results.

Old 02-14-2007, 10:02 PM
Motoring
5th Gear
If I drive a car without a harness, I twist the seatbelt a couple of times then buckle it then pull it tight, keeping the lap belt tight. Works almost as well a CG Lock

Old 02-14-2007, 10:20 PM
OasisT
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Motoring
If I drive a car without a harness, I twist the seatbelt a couple of times then buckle it then pull it tight, keeping the lap belt tight. Works almost as well a CG Lock
Thats what I do as well, if its not quite tight enough, I give it another twist until its just right.

However, with that said, there is no substitute for a Schroth harness from www.SoloRacer.com :-)

Old 02-14-2007, 10:59 PM
minircr
1st Gear
The Schroth quickfit rock. They tie me into my seat and let me focus on the track I go faster with more confidence.

Old 03-01-2007, 05:15 PM
ficcion
4th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by GRMPer
I love Schroth quickfit as well...I took it off my 2005 and hope it fits the incoming 2007.

Per

What is the verdict? Does it fit?

Kelly

Old 03-02-2007, 05:49 AM
GRMPer
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Sort of. There's a bit of plastic on either side of the inboard lap portion of the Schroth harness that needs to be removed. It prevented the inner lap from clicking into the car's lap connection. Ground about 2mm of plastic off either side of the metal tab and voila, it clicks in. The outer rear shoulder harness hole is also not large enough for the shouldered bolt. Replaced that bolt with one that has a separate sleeve. No big deal.

Now, since that's a modification of a crash-tested safety belt system, what I did is not recommended by the manufacturer or my company. It was done only for research and only for off-road activities. I would recommend that you wait until Schroth does these two minor modifications and sells the Quick Fit specifically for the new car.

Old 03-05-2007, 10:34 AM
MattMan
Coordinator :: Minis Under the Arches (Oct 25-28)
I noticed an instant improvement in my driving when I bought my Schroth quick-fit harness, mainly because the upper half of my body wasn't having to hold on the steering wheel for support. Instead, it kept me planted and relaxed while autocrossing. Hands down the best thing I've done for my stock autocrosser.

Old 03-05-2007, 04:56 PM
mitchman
5th Gear
I just installed my Schroth harness, and while it seems to keep my upper body secure from moving forward, I can still move side to side at least 6-inches. I'm thinking that if I added an old autocross chest strap I have (wraps around you and the seat at chest level), that might solve the side to side movement.

The reason I wanted the harness is because I've been left foot braking quite a bit with the Mini. I'd like to be able to stop having to brace myself by planting my left foot on the dead pedal.

Thoughts?

Old 03-05-2007, 10:55 PM
OasisT
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mitchman
I just installed my Schroth harness, and while it seems to keep my upper body secure from moving forward, I can still move side to side at least 6-inches. I'm thinking that if I added an old autocross chest strap I have (wraps around you and the seat at chest level), that might solve the side to side movement.

The reason I wanted the harness is because I've been left foot braking quite a bit with the Mini. I'd like to be able to stop having to brace myself by planting my left foot on the dead pedal.

Thoughts?
I'd say the only key to the harness is to pull the lap portion down as tight as possible before tightening the top portion at all. Once you autocross with the belt on, you'll notice the huge difference then. If all else fails, gain 30 pounds, that will help keep you in your seat.

Old 03-06-2007, 04:13 PM
mitchman
5th Gear
(nice try Craig)

Old 03-27-2007, 10:12 PM
graphicjoe
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I found life easier after going to a five-point harness in my bmw. It kept my in place so that all attention could be focused on driving rather than driving while trying to keep my body where it belonged. I also feel it gives a better feel for what the car is doing if you are held solidly against the seat. But it is clear that people differ in what works best for them. Driving cars with different setups is helpful in finding the right combination.

cheers,

Joe s

Old 03-28-2007, 12:24 PM
NSXguy
1st Gear
Since this thread has evolved into a discussion of restraint options, I have found that an inexpensive G-Force chest strap works well. It is used in conjuction with seat belts. It consists of a a long web belt that goes around the seatback and the chest and can be cinched up as tight as desired, thereby preventing any sliding around in the seat. Personally, I think a race harness is overkill if used only for autocrossing. If there is such a thing as safe and sane racing, it is among the cones.