What Wheels Are These???

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 07:32 PM
sgmini2
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What Wheels Are These???

Does anybody know which wheels these are? Size, Offset? They look like 19" but I cant tell.

Attached Thumbnails What Wheels Are These???-blog-1.jpeg   What Wheels Are These???-blog.jpeg  
Old 10-19-2012, 08:06 PM
Geektb
Neutral
probably OZ Superturismo Dakar:
http://www.tirerack.com/upgrade_gara...raphite+Silver

not sure about size and offset

Old 10-19-2012, 09:00 PM
socal805
1st Gear
sgmini2- I was searching for these also.
Problem is Tirerack says not for 2012 CMS all4. I wonder why, because only 20"??

What Wheels Are These???-shoof-wheel.jpg

Last edited by socal805; 10-19-2012 at 09:17 PM.
Old 10-20-2012, 05:43 AM
Hujan
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They are OZ Superturismo LM wheels in 19" probably 8" wide (but don't quote me on width). Not sure about offset but it looks like +40.

The tires are Michelin Pilot Super Sports in 225/40/19, I believe.

Old 10-20-2012, 07:01 AM
socal805
1st Gear
Why would tire rack say not available for CMS all4?

Old 10-20-2012, 07:31 AM
Hujan
5th Gear
Originally Posted by socal805
Why would tire rack say not available for CMS all4?
1. Because TireRack sucks; and

2. The fitment (offset or 19") is probably too aggressive for their delicate sensibilities. (See point #1.)

Old 10-22-2012, 01:12 PM
sgmini2
1st Gear
Im sure we can get them somewhere in 19". This CM is sitting on coil-overs you think? I wonder if the wheels look so good because of stance of vehicle.

Old 10-22-2012, 01:15 PM
socal805
1st Gear
Originally Posted by sgmini2
Im sure we can get them somewhere in 19". This CM is sitting on coil-overs you think? I wonder if the wheels look so good because of stance of vehicle.
Very good point. I am putting on my HR Springs tomorrow and am waiting to get that in place so I can put different wheels on to see how it actually looks.

Old 10-22-2012, 05:26 PM
MotoGreg
3rd Gear
I am putting on my HR Springs tomorrow
Can you post a photo of the springs before you put them on?

Old 10-22-2012, 05:39 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
First off Tire Rack is an excellent company and for many years they have been an awesome sponsor for MINI events and a vendor for this forum.

And while you are welcome to your opinion and always abliged to do what the hell you want with respect to your car, vendors, shops and stores have a responsibilty to their share holders and investors.

That said, that wheel looks to me to be about 20-23et not even close to 40, and that tire is stretched beyond even Michelin's safety standards. Additionally there is potential damage to be sustained running that set up or modifications to both liner and trim would be requred to run that low for street application. Hence the warning from Tire Rack............

Old 10-22-2012, 09:10 PM
socal805
1st Gear
Originally Posted by MotoGreg
Can you post a photo of the springs before you put them on?
I will try and get you a pic

Old 10-23-2012, 02:41 PM
Royson G
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Hujan
1. Because TireRack sucks; and

2. The fitment (offset or 19") is probably too aggressive for their delicate sensibilities. (See point #1.)
3. YOU suck. Tire Rack is by far the best company I have ever done business with. They sponsor grassroots motorsports, several autmotive internet forums, and have great customer service and prices. You really can't ask for anything else.

If they say it doesn't fit, it's because it isn't safe to run that particular size/offset/etc. Those wheels and tires look stretched and ill-fitting on the CM. If you like your car to look broken, and your tires to have less grip than properly-sized ones, then buy it. But don't expect a reputable company like Tire Rack to validate your automotive cluelessness.

Old 10-23-2012, 03:40 PM
Hujan
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Royson G
3. YOU suck. Tire Rack is by far the best company I have ever done business with. They sponsor grassroots motorsports, several autmotive internet forums, and have great customer service and prices. You really can't ask for anything else.

If they say it doesn't fit, it's because it isn't safe to run that particular size/offset/etc. Those wheels and tires look stretched and ill-fitting on the CM. If you like your car to look broken, and your tires to have less grip than properly-sized ones, then buy it. But don't expect a reputable company like Tire Rack to validate your automotive cluelessness.
Very nice. What are you, in fifth grade?

I don't need TireRack's paternalism to tell me what does and doesn't fit. They could easily maintain their current structure for ill-informed consumers who need someone to make their choices for them, but add an ability to identify what wheels are available in various offsets, widths, diameters, etc. for those of us who know what we're looking for.

Not sure why my criticism of TireRack's website set you off so much, but it is indicative that you either work for/are affiliated with the company, or have your priorities in life out of whack.

If the former: Fix your freaking website already.

If the latter: Get help. Soon.

Peace.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:13 PM
Shoof
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Tire Rack is a good company. I actually had a conversation with them about this. They tend to go with sizing that's considered safe (read: Conservative). If you are more educated in how the wheel sizing works, you definitely have more options to choose from, aside for the wheels they say fit. With that said, Tire Rack will sell you whatever you want, whether they say it fits or not, and they will even take it back if you're not happy. BUT if I remember correctly, they will charge you a restocking fee and the shipping back to them is at your expense.

Last edited by Shoof; 10-23-2012 at 08:26 PM.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:25 PM
Shoof
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by -=gRay rAvEn=-
That said, that wheel looks to me to be about 20-23et not even close to 40, and that tire is stretched beyond even Michelin's safety standards. Additionally there is potential damage to be sustained running that set up or modifications to both liner and trim would be requred to run that low for street application. Hence the warning from Tire Rack............
No need to come on so strong!

Those wheels are 19x8.5, 5x120 and have a 40mm offset. The tires are Michelin Pilot Sports, size 225/40/19, as Hujan said. That's the same size 19" tire you will find on the OE upgraded 19" wheels that Mini fits on this car. It's definitely the right sized tire. The wheel/tire combo obviously will fit, considering it's on a Countryman you see in the pic that the OP posted. It is, however, a little bit of an aggressive setup, mostly because it's an 8.5" wide wheel and a low'ish 40mm offset. Which is why it's not recommended by Tire Rack. BUT it doesn't mean it won't fit, because it will fit with some modification. I also have the same exact tires on my car, but my wheels have a 45mm offset and are 19x8.

FWIW, you can also get the OZ Superturismo LM wheels in 18x7.5 with a 47mm offset, which will fit perfectly, as well as 18x8 with a 40mm offset, which will fit with some tweaking.

Original size image, look on the lower part of the image, you'll see the tire size is 225/40/19. You can also see etched in one of the spokes it says "8.5 J X" but the rest of it is blocked by the spoke, but it says "8.5 J X 19"

Last edited by Shoof; 10-23-2012 at 08:40 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:38 AM
socal805
1st Gear

I will try and get you a pic
Here a quick pic

What Wheels Are These???-image-482966443.jpg

Old 10-24-2012, 06:24 PM
MotoGreg
3rd Gear
Here a quick pic
Thanks

Old 10-24-2012, 07:36 PM
Royson G
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Hujan
Very nice. What are you, in fifth grade?

I don't need TireRack's paternalism to tell me what does and doesn't fit. They could easily maintain their current structure for ill-informed consumers who need someone to make their choices for them, but add an ability to identify what wheels are available in various offsets, widths, diameters, etc. for those of us who know what we're looking for.

Not sure why my criticism of TireRack's website set you off so much, but it is indicative that you either work for/are affiliated with the company, or have your priorities in life out of whack.
If you "don't need them to tell you what does and doesn't fit" why are you bitching about their web site? Obviously you know better than they do.

I am defensive about Tire Rack because they sponsor SCCA racing that I have been involved with for many years. On top of that they are a great company, and no, I don't work for them. They bend over backwards to help those in the racing community. Given your search for absurd offset wheels and disdain for TR, I'm guessing you spend more time posing in parking lots.

Old 10-24-2012, 07:39 PM
socal805
1st Gear
Guys, can I ask that the Tire Rack debate be taken to private messaging so we dont clutter up the thread with off topic discussion. Thanks.

Old 10-24-2012, 08:54 PM
Hujan
5th Gear
Guys, can I ask that the Tire Rack debate be taken to private messaging so we dont clutter up the thread with off topic discussion. Thanks.
The thread was started for the singular purpose of identifying what wheels were depicted in the photograph of the Duell AG demo R60. That question was answered: They are OZ Superturisimo LM in 19 x 8.5 et40.

To the extent the Tire Rack discussion is interrupting some other discussion, that other discussion would itself be "off topic."

Originally Posted by RoysonG
If you "don't need them to tell you what does and doesn't fit" why are you bitching about their web site? Obviously you know better than they do.
Are you dense? Tire Rack's website makes it impossible for someone to quickly ascertain what sizes, widths, and offsets are available in a given style of wheel because they require you to search by car rather than by wheel. You can't, for example, see all the options available for the Superturismo LM in one shot. You can't see whether the wheel is available in a given configuration without trying to first find a car that Tire Rack has "blessed" as accepting the wheel in the exact configuration I'm looking for. It's mind-numblingly stupid.

Here's an example of an effective website for searching for wheels:

http://www.gruppe-s.com/wheels.php

Click on a brand (for example, "SSR") and you are taken to a page that shows the various styles offered by that company. Click on one of the styles (for example, "Type F Euro") and you get a page with all of the options to choose from. It's easy to use assuming you know what you're doing (this may not apply to you).

I would think that a company that specializes in wheels and tires (and, apparently, has an affinity for racing) would have figured out a system like this, unless its first priority is selling replacement wheels to soccer moms for their minivans, in which case, by all means carry on with the current setup.

Originally Posted by RoysonG
I am defensive about Tire Rack because they sponsor SCCA racing that I have been involved with for many years. On top of that they are a great company, and no, I don't work for them. They bend over backwards to help those in the racing community. Given your search for absurd offset wheels and disdain for TR, I'm guessing you spend more time posing in parking lots.
What does the fact that TireRack is apparently the patron saint of grassroots racing have to do with the fact that their website could not be less user-friendly? I don't give a damn if they save puppies by the truck load; their website still sucks.

Old 10-25-2012, 10:44 AM
MotoGreg
3rd Gear
I have been a TireRack customer in the past and they offer great service. In fact, the wheels/tires/TPMS sensors on our MINI were purchased through TireRack. They showed up at my door, mounted, balanced, and safely packaged, less than 48 hours after I ordered them. So I'm a happy customer, and I recommend them to others; when a neighbor recently asked which new tires she should get for her SUV I found an adequate set on the TR website and forwarded her the link.

But I have a love/hate relationship with their website. For tires the website is great. You can search two ways, either by car or by size. So the average consumer can just click on "select a vehicle" and find tires that are assured to work on their car. So that's great if your unmodified car uses the stock size tires. Thankfully you can also search for tires by size, which is the way I navigate their website, and I would assume most car enthusiasts (the people that TR caters to on all the various car message boards, like this one) search by size, rather than by vehicle, as well.

I love all the options the website gives me for tires. After entering my size it will show every tire available. If I want to narrow it down I can filter the results in the left-hand column so that it only shows certain brands, or maybe only performance tires and not all season tires, etc. Then, after it has filtered it to show me only what I'm looking for, I can check the boxes next to tires I'm interested in, and then click the "compare selected tires" tab and it will show all the tire specs side by side so that I can easily compare the several tires I have chosen.

In conclusion, when shopping for, or researching tires, the TR website is a wonderful, helpful asset. The problem, as hujan pointed out, is that while the tire section of the website is perfect, the wheel section of the website leaves you banging your head in frustration. With tires you can search by vehicle or search by size, but for some reason, with wheels, you can only search by vehicle, and not by size... which flat out doesn't cut it. When I was shopping for wheels for our MINI Countryman only a handful of options showed up when searching by vehicle. Luckily, I knew that the 1-series BMW uses the same bolt pattern, offset and center-bore as the Countryman, and so I shopped for that car, and found/purchased wheels from TR. If I didn't know that I would not have found the wheels, and our car would be rolling on a different brand of wheel right now that was sold by a different (not TR) shop. I was so close to buying the other wheels, but at the last minute I found the ones I wanted listed on the BMW section of TR's website. If I hadn't gone the convoluted route of searching by a different car than the one I actually wanted wheels for then TR would have lost my business.

The maddening thing is that it would be so easy for TR fix this so it would be a useful resource, just like their tire section is... just show the sizes, why is that so hard? With virtually every other wheel shop on the Internet you click on the wheel you're interested in and it will show a list of sizes that that wheel is available in. And you scroll down the list to find the one you're looking for. With TR you can click products/wheels/brands and it will take you to this page...

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/wheel-brands.jsp

That page looks similar to other online wheel shops, so far so good. Then I click on a brand and I can quickly view thumbnail photos of all the different styles available by that brand. Still doing great, this is what we're looking for. Then, if I see a thumbnail photo of a wheel that looks promising, I click on it, just as I would on other wheel websites... and then that's when everything grinds to a halt and I'm left sitting there at the keyboard shaking my head in frustration because the list of sizes is mysteriously missing. How in the hell am I supposed to know if the size that I'm looking for is available if they keep it a secret? Why can't they show the list of sizes like other websites do?

Here is a screenshot of a webpage from another online wheel shop. Just like on the TR website I looked at the brand thumbnails to find a style I like, then I clicked on it and got full size photos from several angles (as TR likewise does) but I also get what I'm really looking for: THE SIZES!!!!!!

Since every wheel manufacturer obviously has a list of sizes their wheels come in, and since virtually every other online wheel retailer shows this list, then why does TR curiously omit it? Why does TR tie our hands when we're trying to find something to buy from them?

If I go into a shoe store and see a shoe I'm interested in I'll ask the sales person if it comes in my size. What if they said "I can't tell you what sizes it comes in. Instead, why don't you select which type of clothing you'd like to pair the shoes with, and we'll decide for you if we feel the shoes are compatible with your outfit or not". If it were me I'd shop someplace else.

So that's my two cents. I'm not influenced because TR sponsors a racing series that I'm involved in, or because they buy advertising on a message board I run. I'm an impartial customer who is just trying to find the products that I want to buy for my cars. A lot of friends/family/neighbors rely on me to help them with wheels/tires so I use the TR website quite often for tires... but when it comes to wheels I skip it and use a different vendor that has a website that doesn't tie my hands by withholding sizing information. Hopefully TR will somehow see this constructive criticism and add the wheel size listings to their website and then all will be good.

Last edited by MotoGreg; 10-25-2012 at 10:56 AM.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:47 PM
R60All4
2nd Gear
I'm in agreement with MotoGreg's post. The availability to know what sizes are available is truly great. I'll give an example, and for those that race, this is a well known example.
A friend and I are working on 2 project cars right now, 1 an old Miata '90 with bolt on fender flares, fenders chopped and liners remade. Tirerack while a great website, does little to assist in configuring the appropriate size, offset, etc. Instead, we must run our own measurements, read forums, contact other Miata tuning houses, or play trial and error at our own expense. The problem was solved with vividracing. The other is a APR widebody kit for a WRX, still using the 5-100 bolt pattern but with larger fit Brembo Racing brakes, not the golds from the STi, so most info is dead wrong in our direction, COBB helped greatly as they were the only company that had run the brakes.
But for a generic fitment, no unique fit issues, Tirerack is great, my trucks have always run their setups just fine. Its when you need something for a custom job that ALL information is needed.
As for this MINI from DualAG in Japan, look into calling bulletproof automotive, I've had great luck in having them order rather unique and rare pieces from Japanese catalogs and tuning houses.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:43 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm guessing some of the noobs who are hyper-critical of the Tire Rack aren't aware of how much help NAMmer have received around here from their reps over the many years this board has been around.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:57 PM
Clubman S Turbo
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Been using Tire Rack since 1985.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:20 PM
Hujan
5th Gear
Originally Posted by CR&PW&JB
I'm guessing some of the noobs who are hyper-critical of the Tire Rack aren't aware of how much help NAMmer have received around here from their reps over the many years this board has been around.
And I'm guessing some of the old timers who make ignorant comments like yours don't understand what "bias" means. Changing your opinion of a company's services simply because the company is run by nice guys doesn't make you enlightened; it makes you biased.

Think about it like this: If instead of making a fair criticism of Company's A intercooler, I gave the intercooler a positive review just because Company A was a NAM sponsor, what would you say?

And now you get it.

Quick Reply: What Wheels Are These???