Cooper Owners of Rural Nebraska (CORN) Cooper Owners of Rural Nebraska (C.O.R.N.) club forum.

CORN Coz must go thread!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 09:02 AM
bean
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CORN Coz must go thread!

is it about time that CORN send a message to the UN athletic department demanding the resignation of the defensive coordinator? let us call them the gray shirts until we see something resembling the defenses known as the "black shirts". all opinions welcome, as i know that this will be a volatile topic.
greg

Old 10-07-2007, 09:05 AM
Revolution Mini Works
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bean
is it about time that CORN send a message to the UN athletic department demanding the resignation of the defensive coordinator? let us call them the gray shirts until we see something resembling the defenses known as the "black shirts". all opinions welcome, as i know that this will be a volatile topic.
greg

one of the most pathetic nights in Husker history

Old 10-07-2007, 09:14 AM
bean
5th Gear
what took you so long to respond, jan?! a totally embarrassing performance. although we were on the wrong side of the joke, i LMAO at the "Salt/Wound" sign. i appreciate creativity. i despise poorly played football......

Old 10-07-2007, 09:17 AM
Revolution Mini Works
Banned
what took you so long to respond, jan?! a totally embarrassing performance. although we were on the wrong side of the joke, i LMAO at the "Salt/Wound" sign. i appreciate creativity. i despise poorly played football......
still reading the husker boards...

I have been telling people for years that these guys are not going to get it done.... sadly, last night many saw what I saw yrs ago

Old 10-07-2007, 10:45 AM
Agro
Coordinator :: Sin City MINI Club & AMVIV
That was the worst defensive display I've seen out of the scarlett & cream. Simply horrible. And the offense wasn't much better. I laughed at the salt in the wound thing too, but my wife (born and raised in Omaha, 2 degrees from UNL) was pissed. "What wound?!?!?"

Old 10-07-2007, 01:34 PM
totamdu
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
+ 1

Old 10-07-2007, 01:59 PM
rosmakloma
4th Gear
Huskers and/or football in general = couldn't care less

...better suited here

Old 10-07-2007, 03:15 PM
Jpolson
3rd Gear
Makes me kinda think I could of bought something more for my cooper then buying season tickets, but hey they cant be bad forever, right, right???

Old 10-07-2007, 03:43 PM
Zyamfier
Coordinator :: Cooper Owners of Rural Nebraska (CORN)
Thankfully, I was out doing MINI stuff last night so I missed it completely.

Old 10-11-2007, 03:01 PM
Sylens
1st Gear
Being new to the Nebraska area, I personally haven't bought into the Big Red fever yet. But that game was entirely too pitiful, for any team.

Old 10-14-2007, 02:53 PM
Sir Mini
3rd Gear
I trust this thread hadn't gotten to the OSU game yet! I'll sign the daggone list to put COZ on a rail out of town...

I drove the Liberator down to Lincoln for the ISU game, even put some blackshirt "bones" on the rear window! It was fun to drive around in another version of Little Red!

Now I can only hope we get a new AD and coach very soon!

Go Big Red!

Sir M.

Old 10-14-2007, 03:00 PM
Revolution Mini Works
Banned
Originally Posted by Sir Mini
I trust this thread hadn't gotten to the OSU game yet! I'll sign the daggone list to put COZ on a rail out of town...

I drove the Liberator down to Lincoln for the ISU game, even put some blackshirt "bones" on the rear window! It was fun to drive around in another version of Little Red!

Now I can only hope we get a new AD and coach very soon!

Go Big Red!

Sir M.
don't worry too much... the powers that be are busy collecting the buyout money

Old 10-14-2007, 09:50 PM
Revolution Mini Works
Banned
Hooray for HUSKER FANS!!!!!

the buyout money is in!!!

watch for Pederson to "resign" and Cally to get the axe before end of year....

things are looking up in Lincoln!!!!

GO BIG RED

Old 10-15-2007, 08:49 AM
Agro
I know that 3 of the last 4 weeks have been pretty dismal, but what if they turn around and finish out the season with all wins. Would you guys really push to sack a coach with a 10-3 record with a totally new style offense?

Old 10-15-2007, 09:33 AM
totamdu
3rd Gear
They fired Solich with less losses, if I remember. They even won the bowl game that year with an interum coach. And the offense isn't new anymore. These are Callahans recruits. The awsome ones we are suposed to get becaues he was a superbowl coach. Bleh I think we were better when we had many more walk-ons. Heart of the team.

Old 10-15-2007, 02:05 PM
bean
5th Gear
according to several husker boards, the s&@t is going to hit the fan today! several versions of the rumor exist. Cook and Buffett and said that the money stops until a change is made. reminds me of a quote my father used often: "when you have them by the b*lls, their hearts and minds will follow". stay tuned or post if you have better information......

Old 10-15-2007, 04:43 PM
bean
5th Gear
ding, dong, the witch is dead! that is what they are playing on local radio stations in celebration of the announcement that AD Peterson is fired. in omaha there is an impromtu street party at 72nd and Dodge. several members of the 97 national championship team are reportedly headed to the party. Firing of several coaches, including coz, will be announced tomorrow. boosters raised $40 million to pay off the contracts and finish the Osborne project. its a start.....

Old 10-15-2007, 06:42 PM
Sylens
1st Gear
Cursed crew rest. I'd love to be there (I love parties), but I'm flying tonight.
Poo..

Old 10-15-2007, 08:48 PM
Revolution Mini Works
Banned
ding, dong, the witch is dead! that is what they are playing on local radio stations in celebration of the announcement that AD Peterson is fired. in omaha there is an impromtu street party at 72nd and Dodge. several members of the 97 national championship team are reportedly headed to the party. Firing of several coaches, including coz, will be announced tomorrow. boosters raised $40 million to pay off the contracts and finish the Osborne project. its a start.....

I told ya

soon cally will get his train ride out of Lincoln and the healing can begine

Old 10-16-2007, 08:14 AM
Agro
This is from the ESPN website, posted at 7pm Eastern last night.
LINCOLN, Neb. -- Nebraska athletic director Steve Pederson was fired Monday, two days after the school's once-mighty football team was rocked with its worst home loss in nearly a half-century.

Pederson, along with coach Bill Callahan, has been heavily criticized after a series of one-sided losses this season. The most recent was a 45-14 loss to Oklahoma State on Saturday with former Cornhuskers coach Tom Osborne and his 1997 national title team in attendance.

Callahan's job is apparently safe for now. Chancellor Harvey Perlman said the next athletic director would decide the fate of the football staff.

Over the past two weeks, the Huskers (4-3) have lost by a combined score of 86-20, dropping a 41-6 decision at Missouri two weeks ago.

"There is no joy in my heart for having to do this," Perlman said. He said it would cost at least $2.2 million to buy Pederson out of his contract.

At the end of the July, Pederson's contract was renewed for five years, but this season has been a nightmare for the most part. Even in victory -- a 41-40 nail-biter against Ball State -- the Huskers' defense was far from the force it used to be.

For the first time in their 118-year history, the Cornhuskers have allowed at least 40 points four times in a season.

"You make the best decision you can with the information you have," Perlman said.

The chancellor also said since July he's noticed a decline in morale and growing concern about keeping key personnel in the athletic department. Paul Meyers, a key fundraiser, was among several people who departed.

Several people came forward with concerns about Pederson's management style and his connection with staff, donors and athletes, Perlman said.

"Every one of you thinks this is because of a football game that was played last Saturday," Pederson said. "It may well be that the vulnerability of the football program encouraged people to come forward when prior to that they had not."

A search for an interim athletic director has begun, with the next step to find a permanent replacement.

"It is not clear how long such a process will take or its precise form," Perlman said. "It is important it be done expeditiously but thoughtfully."

Perlman said he would consult with Osborne about the direction of the athletic program, but stopped short of saying he would offer Osborne the interim athletic director's job. Osborne now teaches a business leadership course at the university and is a consultant to local college athletic programs.

Callahan, who signed a five-year contract last month, said less than two hours before Pederson's firing that they talked almost daily about the program.

"We've come under a steady stream of criticism," Callahan said. "It's important you stand tall. You'll be the direct target of critics. I understand that. You're in the public eye and in a high position in order to lead. We're going to continue to lead in a very positive manner."

In four seasons under Callahan, the Huskers are 26-18 overall, 14-14 against the Big 12, 3-8 against teams in the Top 25 and 0-6 against the top 10. They have given up 40 points or more nine times.

Pederson has been a polarizing figure in Nebraska, widely criticized for firing coach Frank Solich and then for conducting a protracted one-man search for a new coach.

Pederson may have been his own worst enemy, setting the bar high for Callahan and raising fans' expectations.

"I refuse to let the program gravitate into mediocrity," Pederson said the day he announced Solich's firing. "We won't surrender the Big 12 to Oklahoma and Texas."

Despite firing a coach with a 9-3 record that season and a 58-19 career mark, Pederson said he was not running a "win at all costs" program.

He said he did not like the direction the program was taking after going 16-12 in Solich's last 28 games.

"The byproduct of excellence in every area of your program is winning, and I don't apologize for having high expectations," Pederson said.

"This is the best job in the country, and anyone who doesn't want to win the national championship shouldn't bother applying for this job. I understand we aren't going to win the championship every year, but I believe we should be playing for or gaining on the championship on a consistent basis.

Pederson had at least four candidates turn down the job before he hired Callahan, who had just been fired by the Oakland Raiders.

The Huskers went 5-6 in Callahan's first season but improved to 8-4 in 2005. They were 9-5 last year, winning the Big 12 North and losing to Oklahoma in the conference title game. They then lost to Auburn in the Cotton Bowl.

Any traction gained last year had been lost this season.

Pederson, who grew up in North Platte, Neb., and worked at Nebraska in the sports information office and football program, was athletic director at the University of Pittsburgh when Nebraska hired him in 2003.

"The selection of Steve Pederson in 2003 as athletic director was widely thought to be the only clear choice because of his experience, his roots and his knowledge of our traditions," Perlman said. "I know Steve made the decisions he thought best for the interests of the program and the university. I am disappointed that I had to come to this decision."

Steve Glenn, a Nebraska offensive lineman in the late 1970s, said the firing of Pederson is "the best thing to happen to Nebraska football in 10 years," adding, it "lifts a cloud off the state of Nebraska."

Glenn said he hoped Osborne, 70, would take the interim AD's job.

"What a great man of integrity -- he could do great things for the university," especially if the team has to recruit a new coach, Glenn said.

Osborne didn't immediately return a phone message Monday afternoon.

"I don't know whether the lynch mob is going to be satisfied with one body," said regent Randy Ferlic, who added he and other regents have received hundreds of e-mails calling for the firing of Pederson, Callahan and Perlman.

Ferlic said he worried the decision sends the message that a few fans can get a ball rolling and get people fired.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

Old 10-17-2007, 08:37 PM
Sir Mini
3rd Gear
And now Tom Osborne takes the helm... I can feel the attitude adjustment from here. If he can't unite the Husker Nation, no one can!

Brandenburg, one of the defensive players (formerly known as blackshirts) said that when Dr. Tom came into the locker room last Friday, it was like the President of the US was there! Do you think the players could play with some intensity NOW???????????

Here's hoping I'll have lots more sellouts to attend in my little Liberator!

Sir M.

Old 11-04-2007, 08:01 AM
bean
5th Gear
how bad can it get? giving up 11 TD's to Kansas......a team that we beat for 35 or 36 years in a row.....recruits are decommitting.....how can we get a top knotch coach to want this job. we had a difficult time after Solich was fired....two more games on the Callahan farewell tour.

Old 11-04-2007, 08:05 AM
Revolution Mini Works
Banned
how bad can it get? giving up 11 TD's to Kansas......a team that we beat for 35 or 36 years in a row.....recruits are decommitting.....how can we get a top knotch coach to want this job. we had a difficult time after Solich was fired....two more games on the Callahan farewell tour.

don't worry,
Tom is behind the scenes looking for the right replacement...

Old 11-04-2007, 08:10 AM
Sir Mini
3rd Gear
Wow, the number of records this defense (formerly the group wearing black) is going to set in Cornhusker history is astounding!

Dear GOD how much lower are we going? Wish I could get down to the KSU game because I feel that is going to be the low water mark for our crowd's attendance. We cannot let that sellout record go too!

I'm sure that by the NEXT home game there will be answers to the prayers of the Husker Nation... and of course the C.O.R.N. included!

Sir M.

Old 11-04-2007, 02:15 PM
Zyamfier
Coordinator :: Cooper Owners of Rural Nebraska (CORN)
Originally Posted by Sir Mini
I'm sure that by the NEXT home game there will be answers to the prayers of the Husker Nation... and of course the C.O.R.N. included!

Sir M.
"There is no God... " the bishop from Caddyshack

Quick Reply: CORN Coz must go thread!