Cooper (non S) Modifications specific to the MINI Cooper (R50).

JCW Sound Kit/ John Cooper Motorsports head

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 07:00 PM
Ords
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JCW Sound Kit/ John Cooper Motorsports head

Firstly, does anyone have a sound kit? Opinions on the unit itself. Worth the $$. Performance gains if any?

Secondly, Has anyone dealth with JCM itself? I've been in contact with them since no tuning kits are available for 05' and 06'. To quote from their email; The official JCW Tuning Kit is not suitable for fitment to cars built after June 2004. However, you can fit a JCW Sound Kit which is available from your local BMW dealer. Once you get to that stage, we can supply you with one of our John Cooper Motorsport heads which will bring you very close to the original Cooper spec.

I'm not worried about warranty issues as I know the sound kit will be covered. I have emails into MINIUSA asking asking about the head and it's coverage if any.

Thoughts, comments or suggestions good or bad outside of saying, get an "S".

Old 08-20-2006, 07:50 PM
usaaus
2nd Gear
I have the sound kit. It really doesn't add much noticable power, although the engine does seem a little more free revving - and, if you don't push it too much, the gas mileage has improved a couple mpg.

The sound is sweet, deeper but not to loud - not "ricey' at all.

I have almost 10,000 miles with the kit and couldn't be happier.

Sure it is kind of expensive - but hey, it works as advertised and it looks and sounds nicely different in a line of Coopers.

Old 08-20-2006, 10:11 PM
goin440
6th Gear
The JCW Cooper "Tuning" kit and the "Sound" kit for the non-S Cooper are different:

The Tuning kit is no longer available, but the MCS head and the MC head are identical (except the MCS get better valve material). They still make MCS JCW heads, part number 11 12 0 301 252 and available from your dealer. Unfortunatly, I doubt they would seperate a Works head from the Cooper S kit. BMW carries warranties on dealer installed parts, the kit would be no different, but going the MCS head route on a MC might get them to complain a bit.

Old 08-21-2006, 12:35 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
Did John Cooper Motorsport give you a price for the head? It is not listed on their website. Do they require a core charge and exchange? I'd venture to guess that it is the same head that was included with the JCW non-S Cooper tuning kit. However, it is not even an official MINI part for '05 or '06 Coopers, so there is no chance that MINIUSA will warrantee it.

I have the Sound Kit and like it a lot. Check out the audio review if you haven't already. I can't give much comparison because mine was already installed on the new car before I took delivery. The comments in the forums are very consistent: small gain in power, better throttle response, intake and exhaust sound good. I probably could have saved about $400 if I went with an aftermarket exhaust and intake. The Sound Kit is a good product, but carries a premium price as with anything JCW.

Old 08-21-2006, 04:33 AM
Ords
6th Gear
Originally Posted by usaaus
I have the sound kit. It really doesn't add much noticable power, although the engine does seem a little more free revving - and, if you don't push it too much, the gas mileage has improved a couple mpg.

Sure it is kind of expensive - but hey, it works as advertised and it looks and sounds nicely different in a line of Coopers.
Thanks for your reply, it would be nice to actually hear and see one as well hopefully while MTTS is running, I'll be able to do that.

Old 08-21-2006, 04:38 AM
Ords
6th Gear
Originally Posted by goin440
The JCW Cooper "Tuning" kit and the "Sound" kit for the non-S Cooper are different:

The Tuning kit is no longer available, but the MCS head and the MC head are identical (except the MCS get better valve material). They still make MCS JCW heads, part number 11 12 0 301 252 and available from your dealer. Unfortunatly, I doubt they would seperate a Works head from the Cooper S kit. BMW carries warranties on dealer installed parts, the kit would be no different, but going the MCS head route on a MC might get them to complain a bit.
Exactly, that's why John Cooper Motorsports mentioned specifically it would be a head not from a "Works" kit but from the Motorsports division. I'm expecting more information today.

Old 08-21-2006, 04:38 AM
dickdavid
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by usaaus

DITTO.

I had the SK on my first MC. If I could afford it again, my second MC would be sporting it.

Old 08-21-2006, 04:52 AM
Ords
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rkw
Did John Cooper Motorsport give you a price for the head? It is not listed on their website. Do they require a core charge and exchange? I'd venture to guess that it is the same head that was included with the JCW non-S Cooper tuning kit. However, it is not even an official MINI part for '05 or '06 Coopers, so there is no chance that MINIUSA will warrantee it.

I have the Sound Kit and like it a lot. Check out the audio review if you haven't already. I can't give much comparison because mine was already installed on the new car before I took delivery. The comments in the forums are very consistent: small gain in power, better throttle response, intake and exhaust sound good. I probably could have saved about $400 if I went with an aftermarket exhaust and intake. The Sound Kit is a good product, but carries a premium price as with anything JCW.
RKW, great questions that have been already asked and awaiting a response from JCM. I could go aftermarket too but my intent isn't that. I desire to maintain an "orginial" part when possible, it's all about personal preference.

Mini's been understanding in what I want to accomplish. they haven't said no, but haven't said yes either. My feeling is they'll say no, but like I said, the warranty isn't an issue right now.

Old 08-21-2006, 08:14 AM
mansize
3rd Gear
Get an "S"... j/k.
The Sound Kit doesn't pretend to offer much performance gain, however the intake and exhaust sound is meant to emulate the sound of the the original Mini's, or British sports cars in general from the glory years of the '60's.
If it sounds anything like the '65 Cooper S 1275cc model I heard starting up the other week on our inaugural ice cream run, I want one! The problem is the local dealer has not fitted a Sound Kit yet, and the dealer 3 hours away where I bought my Cooper had not either as of my last visit. It's hard to pull the trigger on an option that is predominantly for sound only, but one can't hear it first!
It's an expensive option, but if you are planning to keep the car a long time it may be worth it to you - I am still undecided. (need to hear it)
Maybe I should consider the JCW tuning kit as my Cooper is a 2004, and the local dealer claims to have sold two of these kits that bump the output to 126hp.
Decisions, decisions...

Old 08-21-2006, 09:11 AM
Crusoe
4th Gear
Keep us posted. I'm getting the SK on my MC which probably just got to the dealer this weekend. Would be nice to add the head in if the price isn't too bad. Probably ~$2000 though.
If you do get it, it might not be a bad idea to have it ported and polished as well. There are two threads in this forum that review the old MC tuning kit, head replacement and p&ping.
If the head part in the old tuning kit is the same , some dealers and I believe mymini have the old kit for ~$2400. You could sell off all the non header parts to recoup some money.

On MINI.com under downloads they have sound clips of the MC with and without the sound kit. Also reviews and clips on Motoringfile and JCW's websites.

I'll see if I can test drive a MC again before driving mine to get a before and after snapshot. Mine is $1325 installed and I got it cause I could include it in the financing. Aftermarket would be $600-$1100 with exhaust, intake and MTH. I think for $22 a month, better throttle response across the range, a few more HP, better fuel economy, and a warranty, it'll be worth it.

Lastly, I had an old 998 and loved the sound, we'll see how it compares.

Old 08-21-2006, 01:48 PM
Ords
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mansize
Get an "S"... j/k.
The Sound Kit doesn't pretend to offer much performance gain, however the intake and exhaust sound is meant to emulate the sound of the the original Mini's, or British sports cars in general from the glory years of the '60's.
If it sounds anything like the '65 Cooper S 1275cc model I heard starting up the other week on our inaugural ice cream run, I want one! The problem is the local dealer has not fitted a Sound Kit yet, and the dealer 3 hours away where I bought my Cooper had not either as of my last visit. It's hard to pull the trigger on an option that is predominantly for sound only, but one can't hear it first!
It's an expensive option, but if you are planning to keep the car a long time it may be worth it to you - I am still undecided. (need to hear it)
Maybe I should consider the JCW tuning kit as my Cooper is a 2004, and the local dealer claims to have sold two of these kits that bump the output to 126hp.
Decisions, decisions...
Man,

As far as I know, there are no MC kits available in the US and it would need to be ordered in from Europe. Just something to keep in mind. Yes, decisions, decisions as some aren't cheap.

Old 08-21-2006, 01:55 PM
Ords
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Crusoe
Keep us posted. I'm getting the SK on my MC which probably just got to the dealer this weekend. Would be nice to add the head in if the price isn't too bad. Probably ~$2000 though.
If you do get it, it might not be a bad idea to have it ported and polished as well. There are two threads in this forum that review the old MC tuning kit, head replacement and p&ping.
If the head part in the old tuning kit is the same , some dealers and I believe mymini have the old kit for ~$2400. You could sell off all the non header parts to recoup some money.

On MINI.com under downloads they have sound clips of the MC with and without the sound kit. Also reviews and clips on Motoringfile and JCW's websites.

I'll see if I can test drive a MC again before driving mine to get a before and after snapshot. Mine is $1325 installed and I got it cause I could include it in the financing. Aftermarket would be $600-$1100 with exhaust, intake and MTH. I think for $22 a month, better throttle response across the range, a few more HP, better fuel economy, and a warranty, it'll be worth it.

Lastly, I had an old 998 and loved the sound, we'll see how it compares.
I've haven't heard anything back from JCM, and I'll keep it updated. I know the kit is through mymini for 02-04 but they'd have to order one. Which doesn't help me at all considering i have an '06. I've read both threads so hence my writing to JCM. I'm on a fact finding mission unless someone else has already looked at this option.

Old 08-21-2006, 02:51 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Ords
As far as I know, there are no MC kits available in the US and it would need to be ordered in from Europe.
MyMiniParts in Florida carries the JCW Cooper Kit: http://www.myminiparts.com/proddetai...od=MCJCW&cat=7

Decisions, decisions...
From all the information I've seen, an MC will get little performance gain from changing the intake and exhaust. This applies whether it is the Sound Kit or aftermarket. A significant gain requires a head and/or tuning software such as MTH. If I had a 2004 MC, I'd be tempted to get the full tuning kit rather than go part way with the Sound Kit, except that it is so very expensive (both the tuning kit and head installation).

Old 08-22-2006, 01:00 AM
goin440
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rkw
MyMiniParts in Florida carries the JCW Cooper Kit: http://www.myminiparts.com/proddetai...od=MCJCW&cat=7
Yeah, but... The Tuning kits alotted in the US warehouse are sold. Don't take my word, there might be one available. Call your MINI dealer's parts dept. and ask specifically for the part number (Cooper Tuning kit) 11 12 0 302 672. Pretty sure MyMini would have to import from Europe though. Also, the tuning kit only fits builds up to 06/2004 and excludes all autos too, why = But the head remains unchanged.

Again, the JCW "S" head will fit the plain jane MC. And they still make the JCW head for the '06 MCS. Now how to get ahold of a '06 JCW MCS head...?

As far as $$$$... The Cooper Tuning kit ran $ (including core, when available in the US). The MCS JCW head will run atleast $2000, if even available outside kit form.

So you have to really weigh your "needs": http://www.m7tuning.com/main.m7/store/10020. Granted, the link is for a MCS, plus has additional items, but call Peter about one for the Cooper.

Last edited by goin440; 05-11-2011 at 05:36 AM.
Old 08-22-2006, 05:01 AM
Ords
6th Gear
Yeah, but... The Tuning kits alotted in the US warehouse are sold. Don't take my word, there might be one available. Call your MINI dealer's parts dept. and ask specifically for the part number (Cooper Tuning kit) 11 12 0 302 672. Pretty sure MyMini would have to import from Europe though. Also, the tuning kit only fits builds up to 06/2004 and excludes all autos too, why = But the head remains unchanged.

Again, the JCW "S" head will fit the plain jane MC. And they still make the JCW head for the '06 MCS. Now how to get ahold of a '06 JCW MCS head...?

As far as $$$$... The Cooper Tuning kit ran $3100 (including core, when available in the US). The MCS JCW head will run atleast $2000, if even available outside kit form.

So you have to really weigh your "needs": http://www.m7tuning.com/main.m7/store/10020. Granted, the link is for a MCS, plus has additional items, but call Peter about one for the Cooper.
Thanks for the information. You're correct about having MyMini bring one in from Europe it's about a 2-3 week lead time for one to be brought over.

As for the Head, JCM hasn't replied back yet with questions that I've sent. So now I wait.

The exhaust Kit, I can get by Friday so that isn't an issue. Neither is the install because I've already talk to my dealer about this. Even the wife is on board for this.

Old 08-22-2006, 07:05 AM
mansize
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by rkw
From all the information I've seen, an MC will get little performance gain from changing the intake and exhaust. This applies whether it is the Sound Kit or aftermarket. A significant gain requires a head and/or tuning software such as MTH. If I had a 2004 MC, I'd be tempted to get the full tuning kit rather than go part way with the Sound Kit, except that it is so very expensive (both the tuning kit and head installation).
Aye, there's the rub.
They are unrelated upgrades, so one can't start with the Sound Kit and then go to the full tuning kit, so it's one or the other. (or aftermarket of course)
If I simply wanted an intake and exhaust upgrade it would be the JCW SK for sure, as I like their intake approach with the vent tube and additional filtered intake to the cowl area. (Jaguar is doing this on their new XK's) I checked with the dealer about buying the intake portion only, but they will not part out.
The JCW tuning kit for the MC is a rare beast for North America and should have future collector appeal.
Tempting indeed.
Does anyone know if the sport exhaust from the tuning kit is stainless steel? From the pictures it looks outwardly identical to the OEM exhaust, except for the tip.

Old 08-22-2006, 12:21 PM
kurvhugr
6th Gear
One rub on this option though (I know you're not interested Ords, but in case anyone else is looking into it). I asked Peter about it and he said if you want a non-S Cosworth head they request you send yours to be worked on. So, you either need to pick up a core first or put your Cooper out of commission for a while.

Old 08-22-2006, 12:53 PM
Ords
6th Gear
Aye, there's the rub.
They are unrelated upgrades, so one can't start with the Sound Kit and then go to the full tuning kit, so it's one or the other. (or aftermarket of course)
If I simply wanted an intake and exhaust upgrade it would be the JCW SK for sure, as I like their intake approach with the vent tube and additional filtered intake to the cowl area. (Jaguar is doing this on their new XK's) I checked with the dealer about buying the intake portion only, but they will not part out.
The JCW tuning kit for the MC is a rare beast for North America and should have future collector appeal.
Tempting indeed.
Does anyone know if the sport exhaust from the tuning kit is stainless steel? From the pictures it looks outwardly identical to the OEM exhaust, except for the tip.
Yes it's stainless steel. If you head over to the John Cooper Motorsports website, you can see what's available.

Old 08-22-2006, 03:02 PM
mansize
3rd Gear
Stopped into the local dealer today - the JCW tuning kit is officially out of my head.
Computer told the parts fellow that "it doesn't say it's not available". Next came "do you want me to see if I can get one?... It's $5,000 + 5 hours to fit."
So with install and tax, the better part of$6K CAN!!
I'm out.
I know, I know... get the "S"...

Old 08-23-2006, 12:10 AM
goin440
6th Gear
The US Tuning Kit Exhaust:

Note: No JCW engraved tip. Appears to also be the optional MINIUSA "sport" exhaust with welded tip, not set-screwed like stock.

mansize
They are unrelated upgrades, so one can't start with the Sound Kit and then go to the full tuning kit, so it's one or the other.
The only benefit to the Tuning kit is the head (but there is also a dealer ECU reprogram code). If you already have the SK, I would reccomend spending money on an aftermarket head rather than drop some series cash on the TK only to part everything but the head.

Unless, of course, JCM sells the head seperatly. So we wait for Ords phone to ring....

(Edit): I just noticed something too... See my ealier post (#6): The air filter in the SK is made to fit the newer MC w/ Getrag tranny. Can you put the SK on pre 06/2004 builds...?

Old 08-23-2006, 12:44 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
I just noticed something too... See my ealier post (#6): The air filter in the SK is made to fit the newer MC w/ Getrag tranny. Can you put the SK on pre 06/2004 builds...?
I have the JCW brochure from my dealer. It lists a Sound Kit for pre 06/2004, and also one for auto transmissions that has the same part number. I think that probably means it's an intake and exhaust without the ECU programming.

Old 08-23-2006, 03:57 AM
dickdavid
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
...I just noticed something too... See my ealier post (#6): The air filter in the SK is made to fit the newer MC w/ Getrag tranny. Can you put the SK on pre 06/2004 builds...?
They actually make two different Sound Kit options for both builds because of the airbox. When I got it for my 02/2004 MC (which had the Midlands tanny and a 'square' airbox), they replaced the top of the airbox and filter with something that looks like the pic in post #6 (which looks like my 06 MC air box).

Old 08-23-2006, 05:38 AM
Ords
6th Gear
Well the email arrived this morning from one of the Cooper Brothers.

Bad news and good news. Firstly the bad, they don't sell the head separately. Now the good news for me, because I'm trying to acheive the performance of the orginial kit with an 06' they're going to make an exception. This would be for a brand hew head.

For those other 05'-06' owners, here's the reason why the 02'-04' kit won't work; "The original kit is not suitable
for the facelift cooper due to the different gearbox which has a torque
limit therefore causing homologation and warranty issues."

Mr. Cooper also explained why to install the Sound Kit first; it's for the ECU update that came with the original kit.

It's now working out the details and to make sure nothing is missed. The first thing is to write MINIUSA and define what it is that I'm doing and who I'm doing it with.

Wish me luck!

Old 08-23-2006, 08:05 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Ord,
I'm confused about the statement, "The original kit is not suitable for the facelift cooper due to the different gearbox which has a torque limit therefore causing homologation and warranty issues." Does that mean the new gearbox is not as strong as the old one? Why doesn't the same limitation apply to your '06?

Old 08-23-2006, 08:31 AM
Ords
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rkw
Ord,
I'm confused about the statement, "The original kit is not suitable for the facelift cooper due to the different gearbox which has a torque limit therefore causing homologation and warranty issues." Does that mean the new gearbox is not as strong as the old one? Why doesn't the same limitation apply to your '06?

Good question I can't answer but perhaps one of the guru's can answer. You would think the new gear box would be able to handle the torque.

Anyone???

Quick Reply: JCW Sound Kit/ John Cooper Motorsports head