Cooper (non S) Modifications specific to the MINI Cooper (R50).

aFe CAI from VacMotorsports?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 11:04 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
aFe CAI from VacMotorsports?

Hi everyone,

looking into putting a CAI into my R50. I have talked to one member who had great things to say about the aFe intake, and I'd love to hear from anyone else who has it.

I found it at a great price from VACMotorsports.com and I would also like to hear from anyone who has ordered from this vendor. Any input would be great. Thanks!

http://store.vacmotorsports.com/afe-...ini-p2563.aspx

Cheers
Dan

Old 04-08-2011, 11:31 AM
UKSUV
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
VAC is one of the best companies for parts and service. They are buried deep into BMW Motorsport racing. AFE is a good intake. But idk why everyone just doesnt go onto ebay and for 10 bucks gets a 90 degree tube and a filter. Yes the filter may not be a K&N but if you change your oil regularly....whats your worry?

Old 04-08-2011, 08:45 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
Why not go with the DDM Cooper Intake? it has a shorter inlet to the throttle, eliminates the entire noise resonator, and is cheaper.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 04-08-2011, 08:59 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
UKSUV, thanks for the input. Glad to hear VAC is known and reputable. Honestly if I was more of a DIY guy I would rig something like that up, but I am just not inclined.

Way, the price difference ($6) is negligible. I am leaning towards the aFe because it comes highly recommended. Can you explain to me the benefits of shorter inlet and elimination of noise resonator? I am very new to modding cars, this is all strange territory for me.

Old 04-08-2011, 09:00 PM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Dan, had the aFe in my old R50 and loved it. I used the Pro-dry filter which is a huge convenience over most of the CAI filters -- easy to clean on a regular basis and avoids the mess involved with oiled filters. No regrets. HP gain differential between the available R50 CAI solutions is miniscule at best, regardless of configuration.

Old 04-08-2011, 09:03 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Gil-galad, thanks for the reply! I understand the Pro Dry is a dry filter and the Pro 5 R is an oiled filter, but do they differ in performance/air flow at all? I live in a moist climate, not a lot of dust to worry about.

Old 04-09-2011, 11:36 AM
nopistons
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't have either, but the DDM seems like a better design since it allows more outside air into the filter area.

Old 04-09-2011, 12:37 PM
rjtrout2000
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In a moist climate, the oiled filter or the dry filter will do just fine. I live in a dusty and dry climate, so the dry filter is easier to clean since it doesn't have to be saturated with oil every couple of weeks

You are gonna love the intake sir. Get it, install it, and let us know what you think!

Old 04-10-2011, 08:41 AM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
Originally Posted by dannyhavok
Way, the price difference ($6) is negligible. I am leaning towards the aFe because it comes highly recommended. Can you explain to me the benefits of shorter inlet and elimination of noise resonator? I am very new to modding cars, this is all strange territory for me.
If you look around you'll find the DDM also recommended. These are the two best intakes for the R50. But the DDM is better because of design. We found the shorter and straight hose going into the throttle body to increase throttle responce much better than the longer and double bent hose of the AFE. Then with the DDM you remove the entire resonator assembly, When you leave it in the air comes in the inlet above the radiator and travels through the entire resonator, and even into the bumper. This makes less air pressure actually blowing on the filter, and also raises the temp of the air because the resonator is warmed because it is attached to the radiator. But even if that isn't enough the biggest gain comes from the DDM heatsheild/box. The design of the intake encloses 3/4 of the filter, but the inlet hose from above the radiator blows DIRECTLY onto the filter, and with the hood shut it creates a box around the filter with one open end. This will build pressure on the outside of the filter helping push air through the filter, meaning more air into the engine=more power. We leave one end of the box open to allow fresh air to continue washing the filter. Hope that explains it better.

We've actually had customers remove the AFE to install ours, you can hear the difference and feel it.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 04-10-2011, 09:22 AM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Way, thanks for taking the time to explain the design to me. I'll search through NAM for reviews on your intake as well before making my decision and placing the order this week.

Thanks everyone for the input, I'm very excited to get a little extra oomph out of the Justa!

Old 04-13-2011, 09:00 AM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Well, I went ahead and ordered the aFe from VAC today. Really looking forward to getting it installed

It was a tough decision, but I was able to find some soundclips of the aFe and I really liked the tone, and I like the look of the filter as well. Once it gets here from the east coast I'll install it and post my impressions.

Thanks for everyones help and input.

Old 04-14-2011, 11:45 AM
UKSUV
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was going to snap a pic of my JDM green intake for you but i forgot. I will do it tonight.