Cooper (non S) Modifications specific to the MINI Cooper (R50).

Do you have an aftermarket header and cat-back installed?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 10:48 PM
kenros
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do you have an aftermarket header and cat-back installed?

I just want to know if anyone have an aftermarket header and cat-bak systems both installed in his MC, I want to make some mods to my '05 MC to get a little power but I don't if the combination of a header and a cat-back system will be to loud. It will be great if someone can post a sound clip.

Old 07-26-2007, 01:42 AM
YakiMini
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't have the exact match that your asking about but I had the OBX Header and Remus exhaust installed and it was not over the top!
If you have a little extra $$$ lying around I would recommend that you have your ECU Flashed afterwards at it will help bring all of the mods together!

Old 07-26-2007, 09:16 AM
xxTHIR13ENxx
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do... I had the Minspeed "sport" exhaust installed, and then installed a Megan racing header + magnaflow high-flow CAT; after a few miles, I realized it was too loud for my taste, so I switched to Minspeed "touring" exhaust, and I've been very happy since.

I don't have a sound-clip, nor do I know how to make one, but if you talk to the people who have seen my car on the dyno, they'll tell you - it really sounds like a race car. Good thing is that inside, whenever you're driving, it's not that loud; it's loud enough for you to know it's there, but it's not unbearable...

I hope this helps somehow...

Let me know how else I can help, or teach me how to upload a sound-clip. lol.
Take care,
Leo.

Old 07-27-2007, 08:36 PM
kenros
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So what exhaust you think is better, the minspeed touring exhaust or a remus exhaust, I don't know what to buy please give me your comments , I'mplanning to put the header too.

Old 07-28-2007, 10:34 AM
41 h stock
2nd Gear
I have an OBX header, Magnaflow cat, and Magnaflow cat-back on my 03 Cooper. I noticed a slight increase in loudness over the cat-back alone, but mostly when you jump on it. Some people feel the Magnaflow cat-back is too loud to begin with. I am an autocrosser and track day guy who loves the extra sound, but that is just me. I typically will drive my car on the highway on 3+ hour long trips, and I do not find it wearing. If sound is a concern at all, I would guess that this is not for you (sorry, I do not have a sound bite). I cannot wait to do the ECU to tie it all together (now which one?)

Old 07-28-2007, 09:46 PM
UKCoopeR
5th Gear
Old 07-28-2007, 09:53 PM
justintime
6th Gear
http://youtube.com/watch?v=_KM79dv1foc

thats mine, the soundclip doesnt do it much justice for the loudness haha.

and here is the lohen mini

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5QY_w-m07Q

Old 07-31-2007, 08:55 AM
GOTCURVES
4th Gear
I have been hearing alot about exhaust systems lately and I have one as well. I have installed the Borla system and EVERYONE in our club (dynamic mini collective) agrees that it is the best sounding 4 cyl exhaust on the market. Great sport tone excelent burble not LOUD but noticeable (unless your going uphill in third doing about 5500 rpms). I will be intalling a Larini 4 to 1 race header w/ ultra hi flo cat. to compliment the cat back Borla. I am now seeking an ECU flash I have an appointment with EVO motor sports in Scotsdale AZ for an ECU check so we can see if GIAC has a flash or will make a flash for my 05' MC. If not then its back to the drawing board.

List of Mods
K&N Typhoon intake
Alta 22mm RASB (softest setting)
Borla cat Back exhaust
Sparco D-spec stage 1 (17" x 7.5" x 17.5 Lbs ) racing wheels

And a huge list of M7, Bilstien and Alta suspension to be filled by Christmas!

Old 08-02-2007, 09:08 AM
onespeed
Neutral
I have a Megan racing exhaust + obx header (using the stock cat), cruising around town it has a nice burble not too loud, I can have a normal conversation with the windows rolled down, but under acceleration or on the highway it's a shouting contest