Classic Mini Talk Interested in the Classic Mini? Discuss the Classic and its variants here!

Selling my Dunstall to buy a '62

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 06:42 AM
JPMM
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Selling my Dunstall to buy a '62

Selling this
http://quadcities.craigslist.org/mcy/3026688701.html

Last edited by JPMM; 05-20-2012 at 07:53 AM.
Old 05-20-2012, 06:45 AM
JPMM
6th Gear
Old 05-20-2012, 08:29 AM
CLM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice looking little '62, though the mk3+ bootlid seems out of place it is nothing major though

Chris

Old 05-20-2012, 11:08 AM
jeffm5150
4th Gear
I like the description : "Only rust is in the battery well" followed almost immediately by "no rust car." Interesting that there's no pictures of the interior, engine, or rust-prone places like the sills, floor, and front wings.

Good luck with the bidding, although it looks like the reserve hasn't been met yet. Do you have an arrangement with the seller to buy if you don't get the winning bid?

Jeff

Old 05-20-2012, 11:15 AM
JPMM
6th Gear
yea need more info definitely he hasn't got back to me

Originally Posted by jeffm5150
I like the description : "Only rust is in the battery well" followed almost immediately by "no rust car." Interesting that there's no pictures of the interior, engine, or rust-prone places like the sills, floor, and front wings.

Good luck with the bidding, although it looks like the reserve hasn't been met yet. Do you have an arrangement with the seller to buy if you don't get the winning bid?

Jeff

Old 05-20-2012, 02:19 PM
Gizmo
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What Jeff said... I generally say BS when they say a Mini is no rust unless it is clearly stated that it is a recent full restoration.

Aston, PA is about 1 1/2 hours from me. If I had more time and it were closer I would be happy to check it out for you but that doesn't look feasible right now :/

My main concerns would be getting as many pictures as you can to see if you can spot rust. Also that gas cap has me wondering about the paint. Since they are usually chrome that shows it might not be the original paint, something to look into too. Don't want to get a "10ft paint job".

Old 05-20-2012, 03:15 PM
JPMM
6th Gear
Talked to Bob.

Attached Thumbnails Selling my Dunstall to buy a '62-033.jpg   Selling my Dunstall to buy a '62-bob.jpg   Selling my Dunstall to buy a '62-016.jpg  
Old 05-20-2012, 03:17 PM
JPMM
6th Gear
more pics

Attached Thumbnails Selling my Dunstall to buy a '62-057.jpg   Selling my Dunstall to buy a '62-025.jpg   Selling my Dunstall to buy a '62-017.jpg  
Old 05-20-2012, 03:28 PM
jeffm5150
4th Gear
Cool. With a load of recent pictures from the seller at least you can make an informed decision. I sure hope that the fuel filler neck gasket (between the filler neck and body) was removed when the car was painted. From the pictures I've seen the paint work is quite good. I would hate to have something like that (not removing the filler neck gasket) ruin it.

For some reason that car makes me think 'cold war'. Maybe it's the monochromatic paint scheme or something. Anyway, it has potential for sure.

Good luck!
Jeff

Old 05-20-2012, 04:00 PM
Gizmo
6th Gear
That is what I was worried about, Jeff. When I had mine the engine was practically just spray painted black (yellow engine). So even the filler cap on the valve cover was painted.

Looks like it needs some TLC but if you get a good deal on it, it won't cost a lot to get it in a better aesthetic shape.

Old 05-20-2012, 04:39 PM
JPMM
6th Gear
Were the seats red at one time as the red is showing through the black?With the white inner door , was the car white and painted red?

Old 05-20-2012, 04:46 PM
Gizmo
6th Gear
Hmmm not necessarily. In my case, yes. But you couldn't tell unless you really investigated but my paint job was not the best... did the job but you could tell it was sloppy. I.e. over spray on windows and the tail lights, but that was easily removed.

But that would raise some suspicion. If you look under under the lights, you can see a faint line. Here is another picture to explain:

You can see that it is two pieces. With mine, you couldn't even tell (so a bad respray). With the red one you can see those lines so that may be at least one thing indicating a good sign.

Old 05-20-2012, 07:39 PM
jeffm5150
4th Gear
Originally Posted by JPMM
Were the seats red at one time as the red is showing through the black?With the white inner door , was the car white and painted red?
Yep, those a great questions. I was thinking the same thing about the seats. Perhaps someone tried to dye them black and the dye has worn through in the high wear areas. I'm not familiar with the paint scheme colors that were from the factory, and it's probably anyone's guess as to whether it's original color or not. I know the easiest place to tell the original color on my Mini is by looking on the cockpit side of the firewall (behind the dash). It's obvious that the original color was mustard yellow.

If I had to guess, I would think the color was originally red with cream/white accent and red seats. You can tell the engine wasn't pulled for the respray and the under-bonnet color is red, as is the jack and accessories. But really, does it matter if it wasn't red originally? I don't think it changes the value being a different color unless obvious places like inside the boot, under the carpet, and the underside of the hood weren't resprayed. Unfortunately, there's no pictures to confirm that ...

Jeff

Old 05-20-2012, 09:46 PM
MINIxB
6th Gear
With it being a 62 I'm sure you can get a certificate saying what was originally on the car when it was built.

Old 05-21-2012, 07:18 AM
JPMM
6th Gear
I guess I don't care about the orginal color too much, I do know it was resprayed red , and if the car came in cream interior paint and an red exterior, I would be happy, otherwise its kind of trashy if the cream needed to be painted red also. But for $7000 I've seen worse. I was hoping someone here would know the car and speak up. The owner said the mileage is correct ,he's the third owner, has the story and the docs to prove it. Theres rust under the roof drip rails you can see it in one pic. I like the thought, for the most part, its original and not all raced up.

Shoot its a 62 ,,,,,I drove a 1960 bug in HS and thought it was vintage back then ( 1971 )

Should pull the trigger, but its a commitment and move away from my bikes

One day left

Yep, those a great questions. I was thinking the same thing about the seats. Perhaps someone tried to dye them black and the dye has worn through in the high wear areas. I'm not familiar with the paint scheme colors that were from the factory, and it's probably anyone's guess as to whether it's original color or not. I know the easiest place to tell the original color on my Mini is by looking on the cockpit side of the firewall (behind the dash). It's obvious that the original color was mustard yellow.

If I had to guess, I would think the color was originally red with cream/white accent and red seats. You can tell the engine wasn't pulled for the respray and the under-bonnet color is red, as is the jack and accessories. But really, does it matter if it wasn't red originally? I don't think it changes the value being a different color unless obvious places like inside the boot, under the carpet, and the underside of the hood weren't resprayed. Unfortunately, there's no pictures to confirm that ...

Jeff

Old 05-22-2012, 04:41 PM
JBC4317
4th Gear
If you do decide to move forward with your purchase, there's multiple resources to read from to determine the originality of this car. Start by obtaining the car's VIN and get a feel for what this car actually is. Ask the seller to provide you with the engine serial number as well, if it's still affixed to the block. Also, ask the seller to provide you with the numbers stamped on the wiper motor body. They can be used to determine the approximate build date, as can the numbers that are stamped into the rear boot latch housing. Mini Mania is a good place to start to determine some basic specifics. There's several sections to read through and you will likely be able to get some great info from their publications. However, I would suggest there are several other sites that may be more thorough. A couple others to consider are: Classic-Car- Magazine.uk and Miniresource.com.

Also,consider consulting John Parnell's book "Original Mini Cooper and Cooper S. It's a great book, full of specific information that will help everyone looking at a Cooper, MkI - MkIII.

As far as color goes, as was stated above, color is somewhat subjective. However, the combinations of colors (both paint combinations and interior) were very well defined. Certainly it is entirely possible for anyone to have deviated from the original and applied their own creative touch. Regardless of the combination of colors with this car, it can all be altered to suit your needs and/or return it to what the factory had intended for it to be.

Best of luck in your Classic journey. If you have any questions, please PM me and I will try to steer you towards some other resources I have found helpful during my quest for the Classic. By the way, the jack in the picture you posted came in to use after January 1963. Though that doesn't mean much, it's just a jack afterall, they're easily lost and replaced.....

Last edited by JBC4317; 05-22-2012 at 04:49 PM.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:45 PM
JPMM
6th Gear
Classic journey!

you got that right thanks for the help,
this one is nice too

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...63557831#v4-58

Old 05-22-2012, 04:52 PM
Gizmo
6th Gear
Oooo! I like that one!

But Authenticity on that one would be more of a factory since they are claiming it is an "s" but regardless that looks like a nice Mini.

Old 05-22-2012, 04:55 PM
JPMM
6th Gear
Originally Posted by JohnW94
Oooo! I like that one!

But Authenticity on that one would be more of a factory since they are claiming it is an "s" but regardless that looks like a nice Mini.

the photos of the underneath with all the black paint/undercoat then rust showing through seems a little suspect

Old 05-22-2012, 04:58 PM
Gizmo
6th Gear
I keep reading more, seems like a half-a**ed job. "[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]THE CAR HAS NOT BEEN ROAD TESTED AND WITH THE NEW WHEELS AND TIRES, THE TIRES RUB THE FENDER OPENINGS WHEN THE WHEELS ARE TURNED."

Mustang seats in a Mini...isn't that some sort of fundamental law breaking?

Heck, even if it doesn't run at least it looks good on a curb... "[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]THIS IS NOT A PERFECT CAR BUT IS A GREAT LOOKING CAR WITH WONDERFUL CURB APPEAL."

Although for not being redone, the engine doesn't look too bad. My car's looked a lot worse and it ran fine with a little cleaning up and maintenance.
[/SIZE][/FONT]

Old 05-22-2012, 06:11 PM
jeffm5150
4th Gear
If the tires are rubbing when the wheels are turned, it's going to damage those flares and/or fenders on the first spirited outing ... trust me on that. I have been fighting rubbing issues and it's not the easiest thing to solve. In my case I can address the issue, in part, with the adjustable height suspension I have installed. That ebay ad doesn't say anything about adjustable suspension. So that'll cost something to fix, either with new suspension or different wheels/tires. In either case it's not cheap.

Wow, $10k+ for all that headache, I don't think so. The seller should get those issues sorted before it goes on the market or they're going to take a _big_ hit in the wallet. Clean car for the most part though ... someone spent some time tidying up under the bonnet.

Just my $0.02.

Old 05-23-2012, 07:27 AM
JPMM
6th Gear
Penn state '62

Is still on my mind, its got problems but its a honest car. Got some more photos of it, but they are in a jpgsrc= format thats killing me. I can't save them or post them or anything

Old 05-24-2012, 08:08 AM
JPMM
6th Gear
cali foni e a Mini

might have to dig up alot more money somehow
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...AQ:MOTORS:1123

Old 05-24-2012, 08:20 AM
JPMM
6th Gear
a lot more money!!! but it is a sweetie for sure

http://www.mohrimports.com/view_inve...php?car_id=358

Originally Posted by JPMM
might have to dig up alot more money somehow
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...AQ:MOTORS:1123

Old 05-25-2012, 04:02 PM
JPMM
6th Gear
Dropped the price down to $6995 on the tire rubbing Mini

And changed some text of the ad?
If the tires are rubbing when the wheels are turned, it's going to damage those flares and/or fenders on the first spirited outing ... trust me on that. I have been fighting rubbing issues and it's not the easiest thing to solve. In my case I can address the issue, in part, with the adjustable height suspension I have installed. That ebay ad doesn't say anything about adjustable suspension. So that'll cost something to fix, either with new suspension or different wheels/tires. In either case it's not cheap.

Wow, $10k+ for all that headache, I don't think so. The seller should get those issues sorted before it goes on the market or they're going to take a _big_ hit in the wallet. Clean car for the most part though ... someone spent some time tidying up under the bonnet.

Just my $0.02.

Quick Reply: Selling my Dunstall to buy a '62