Classic Mini Talk Interested in the Classic Mini? Discuss the Classic and its variants here!

Gonna sell the MINI and get a Mini!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 05:23 PM
ubdylan
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gonna sell the MINI and get a Mini!

Would love to hear from folks about best places acquire said gem. I've always wanted one since I was a kid, but I am now looking at being able to sell my MINI and put all the cash into a classic. I live in northern California, so local would be best. Anyone know of any restorers in our neck of the woods? Just getting started here, so any help with research is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Old 01-25-2012, 06:17 PM
Stanislaus
4th Gear
YESSSSS to your decision!

Old 01-25-2012, 06:41 PM
joltfreak
4th Gear
welcome to the dark side!!!!

Old 01-26-2012, 05:05 AM
davydo
3rd Gear
I have both -'12 JCW vert for snow and top down fun, and the classic for the days I want to go old school. I drove the classic as my DD for two months, and though I love it, I missed the comforts of a modern car. If you can swing it they make a great duo.

Old 01-26-2012, 06:45 AM
jeffm5150
4th Gear
Check out MiniMania's cars4sale (http://www.minimania.com/Cars4Sale_list.cfm) posts to locate a classic. I had success there. Don't feel like you have to buy the first one you see ... there are actually quite a few classic Minis in CA and you should be able to find one that's close to what you're looking for. Just read up on what you need to look for when hunting down one of these old cars.

As for restorers - both 7 Enterprises (Auburn CA) and Heritage Garage (Costa Mesa CA) are reputable shops and are very passionate about classics.

Have fun!
Jeff

Old 01-26-2012, 03:27 PM
Zeshin
Neutral
Great choice!

Will this be your only car/form of transportation?

While a classic Mini is mechanically simple, it is an old car and will likely give you spots of trouble from time to time. I've used different vintage cars as daily drivers over the years, and luckily never had an issue during my commute (but lots of them otherwise). Almost any vintage car you purchase will need some maintenance and work right away to be reliable. Many sellers won't bother with maintenance when they know they are selling the car to someone else soon, or won't disclose all the issues that the car is having.

You should plan to look over the car closely after purchasing, or even better before purchasing, to check the actual current condition of the major areas. This means even checking all the suspension bolts/nuts to make sure they are tight (you would be surprised). If you really plan on daily driving the car, you want to make it as safe and reliable as you can. I would figure this initial inspection/maintenance downtime and cost into your purchase.

Working on your own car will save you money and help you gain an even greater appreciation of the simpleness and genius of the Mini. Lots of helpful people on the Internet to answer your questions and help you along the way.

For finding a Mini I would look on Craigslist here and in LA, on eBay (a mk1 Austin Mini was just listed locally/sold for a steal), MiniMania, Bring a Trailer, Mini Guy and even a nation wide Craigslist search. First figure out what year/make and model you want ideally and go from there. Lots of Minis for sale floating around, but some are definitely "better" than others.

I live in the Bay Area, have a 1960 Morris Mini, and always willing to help a fellow enthusiast out.

Old 01-27-2012, 02:03 PM
mk1leg
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Hi..I'm glad you've seen sense and got rid of that Bini and getting a real mini..................:thumbsu p:

Old 02-02-2012, 11:02 AM
ubdylan
3rd Gear
Thanks for all the great replies! As for my daily driver, I'm going back to a Honda for that. I've always wanted the classic Mini, and I am finally in a position to own one. Originally I wanted to keep the MINI and add the classic, but I'll have too many vehicles if I do that. As for temperamental older cars, I'm used to that, having owned several VW bugs, KG, Bus etc. I worked in the automotive industry for 18+ years, so my experience there is valuable in this endeavor. I look forward to the challenge, but also planning to get one that has been mostly restored to start. I can't wait to start this adventure! Just gotta get the recall cleared on the MINI and then it goes to market.

Old 02-02-2012, 03:37 PM
Gizmo
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Keep us posted! It is like adopting a pet...but SOO much better