Classic Mini Talk Interested in the Classic Mini? Discuss the Classic and its variants here!

For the Love of God talk me out of it

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 05:19 PM
cadfael_tex
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
For the Love of God talk me out of it

Well my cabrio will be 4 years old in September and out of warranty. My car guy gene is flaring up and giving me wanderlust. I've played on the configurator a bit but wallet and 'been there done that'-itis nixes that. Same with the cars that catch my eye - 135 cabrio, 911, or even the upcoming Panamera.

Then something struck me (and it wasn't the first time as I posted similiar about a year and a half ago) - why not look at a classic.

My car isn't driven but around post every day. I crave something with classic british charm - fun to drive and easy to work on. Then again, it has the classic british charm - lucas wiring, rust, etc.

If I were to surrender to my wanderlust, I'd sell my cabrio or trade it for a nice original mini or traveler with original a series motor in excellent mechanical condition and in good nick overall.

So, for the love of God - TALK ME OUT OF IT

Old 04-29-2009, 05:41 PM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well... let me ask you this... Would the classic be your daily driver, or your "fun second car"? Because as much as I love my classic, and as reliable as she's been, I think someone would have to be nuts to use a car as a daily driver that you can't get local parts and a mechanic for.

Old 04-29-2009, 05:51 PM
cadfael_tex
5th Gear
Daily Driver. So I know at one level it would be fool hardy at this point in my life to do it. On the plus side, if I keep the '05 a few more years I can get a classic as a second car. Then space becomes the problem in Army housing.

Guess the biggest problem is - I WANT (he says in best imitation of a 2 year old)

Old 04-29-2009, 06:01 PM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Wanting is fine - I'm all for it. And I'm all for EVERYONE getting a classic - I wish just once I'd see anotther one on the road with me.

But...

Using a clasic as a daily driver isn't "foolhardy", but it does have risks that you need to be prepared for. You must realistically keep in mind that when your baby starts leaking gas from the fuel pump or oil from the rod change seal or cracks a CV boot or pops a tire because you ran over a nail or even needs an oil change requiring a replacement filter (all things I've needed to do on my car, which I feel is a fairly "solid" litttle Mini), you'll need to order the parts from an online place, wait 3-5 (or more) days for them to be delivered and then install them yourself (unless you're really lucky and have access to a classic car garage in your area). I've never been able to get ANYTHING (not even a tire) for my car at a local auto parts store - they literally have no entries for Mini parts prior to the BMW MINI listed on their computers and have no idea what you're asking for.

Plus, not to be (more of?) a wet blanket, but Finagle's Law states that when (not if... when) one of those "simple but essential" parts fail, it will be on a Sunday night at 9:00PM. In a snowstorm. During a power outage. That being the case, if you decide on trading in the cabrio, you might want to buy the classic AS WELL AS a second, inexpensive car like a 2000 Honda Civic. Something cheap to buy, cheap to operate and tough as a tank, because you'll eventually have to drive IT and not your beloved lil' classic to work some morning.

Plus, British mild steel automobile bodies + rain = rust. I only drive my classic on sunny days. Even still, I put something like 9K miles on my classic last year, and was grinning like a fool for each and every one.

So, by all means go ahead and indulge yourself, if you have the means to support your small car habit (yay)... I'd just have a backup for the times that you'll have to garage the classic for a few days every now and then, and on bad weather days.

Last edited by ImagoX; 04-29-2009 at 06:08 PM.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:10 PM
cadfael_tex
5th Gear
Waiting it is.

Old 04-29-2009, 06:19 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Yes, I don't know any classic Mini owners who would not offer the same sage advise as ImagoX has provided. I myself was considering a classic Mini back when the new MINI first appeared. My friends who restore classics and I had a nice chat. Given my needs and the greater safety of the new MINI, I went that route. Glad I did. Every time I get wistful about a classic, I just have a nice visit w/ them and I am once more cured. The cars are fun at car shows and as a nice hobby, but as a hard core daily driver? Best to go into that with eyes wide open.

Old 04-29-2009, 06:34 PM
ACEkraut11
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, the older cars are much simpler and if you can get a well sorted out classic you can use one as a daily driver. There are probably more people out there doing it than you might expect. Of course you have to live in the right part of the country to do it year round. But, it is possible.

Old 04-30-2009, 04:20 AM
Minimad
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ACEkraut11
Well, the older cars are much simpler and if you can get a well sorted out classic you can use one as a daily driver. There are probably more people out there doing it than you might expect. Of course you have to live in the right part of the country to do it year round. But, it is possible.
I did it for a few years. Parts are cheap (relatively) and I always carried basic spares such as ignition, hoses, oil, water, etc just in case. Oil filters and ignition parts are available at parts store if you ask for 1275 MG Midget/Austin America parts. I carried a small toolkit & a tow rope. I perform all my own minor & major work. I had a back up car available, if needed. I have also driven Minis across country on trips of thousands of miles. Through all this I can say I never had a major problem that I could not handle. But, I went completely through the car first and brought it up to standards replacing any major component. It is as reliable as any 50's-60's car.

I am with ImagoX though because most new classic owners are not sufficiently knowledgeable to handle a Mini's maintenance in daily use. It takes time, space, tools and money. If you are a novice and not a dedicated mechanic, best to leave it for occasional use.