Classic Mini Talk Interested in the Classic Mini? Discuss the Classic and its variants here!

Why the need for Re-Vins?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 04:09 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Hotelcalif
Look at it this way. You can't have a production vechicle that has for the most part been unchanged since 1959 but Billy Bob can get him a pair of frame rails for a 1934 ford and BRAZE them together, stick a 700 HP big block in it throw a fiberglass body on it and in most states without inspection it is 100% legal and roadworthy.
You're addressing two different issues here - the importation of foreign vehicles and the modification of vehicles that are already here legally.

The importation law makes sense to me and seems to be applied equally across the board - if the vehicle didn't meet the U.S. requirements for importation when it was new, why should it be allowed in now? I actually think the 25-year exemption is a nice compromise.

As for the faux '34 Ford with the big engine and shoddy construction not getting inspected, I think you'll agree that the same lack of oversight and regulation exists for those classic Mini owners that put Honda engines and fiberglas bodies on *their* cars. No one follows behind them and makes sure their welds are clean and everything's secure. The hot rodders aren't getting any special treatment, as long as they preserve enough of the original car that it's legally a '34. How much of a '59 Mini do you have to keep in place for it to still legally be a '59? I'm betting that it's not much.

Old 10-31-2008, 06:30 AM
IanF
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Actually, most states have fairly specific requirements with regards to titling kit cars and customs. The car must be inspected for structural integrity and functional safety (brakes, belts, lights, etc). The inspecting shop fills out a check-list form that the car owner then sends along with the titling application and fee to the DOT. At least that's how it is in PA. Some states are easier than others. I'm pretty sure every state has this info on their DOT/DMV website.

Thinking about it, that would be one way to get a newer Mini legal: have it shipped over completely disassembled as "parts" (bare shell, engine, etc.) separately, then reassemble the car and title it as a "kit car". PITA? Yes. Expensive? Probably. Underhanded? Maybe. Legal? Again, titling ease would depend on where you live... but parts (including complete body shells), usually get through US customs without difficulty.

Old 10-31-2008, 12:42 PM
Hotelcalif
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by IanF
Actually, most states have fairly specific requirements with regards to titling kit cars and customs. The car must be inspected for structural integrity and functional safety (brakes, belts, lights, etc). The inspecting shop fills out a check-list form that the car owner then sends along with the titling application and fee to the DOT. At least that's how it is in PA. Some states are easier than others. I'm pretty sure every state has this info on their DOT/DMV website.

Thinking about it, that would be one way to get a newer Mini legal: have it shipped over completely disassembled as "parts" (bare shell, engine, etc.) separately, then reassemble the car and title it as a "kit car". PITA? Yes. Expensive? Probably. Underhanded? Maybe. Legal? Again, titling ease would depend on where you live... but parts (including complete body shells), usually get through US customs without difficulty.

They may have up there but several in the south do not. Several Minis have been brought in as kits. Body to one port, subs and motor to another, and interior to another. I had a friend in SC that did several cars that way.
I think you miss my point. The factory built Minis from 1959 to 2000. I just think they had it down pretty good building a safe car. Just because the US thought it was too small and did not meet emission standards was why it stopped being sold here. Rover could have cared less. They could not keep up supply and demand for the countries that would pass the classic. Japan was a major market. They were not interested in the changes to the car to meet US standards.