Chicago MINI Motoring Club The Chicago MINI Motoring Club Forum. Visit our club site at www.chicagominiclub.com

Anyone looking for Unused summer perfomance run-flats?

Old 05-17-2006, 10:44 AM
o-ron
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone looking for Unused summer perfomance run-flats?

I'm contemplating switching them out at the dealer and getting a spare for the trip.

They'll probably be the Dunlop SP 9000 runflats - I'll check with my MA.

Old 05-17-2006, 03:11 PM
CooperGear
Banned
What are you looking to get for these?

Let me know. I bet that the wait is killing you.

Old 05-17-2006, 04:05 PM
TrippleBeem
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I read something in Roundel that said that once you unmount a runflat, the strength of the side wall will be compromised and that will essentially ruin them... can anyone let me know if this is true? I was thinking about selling mine so that I could get a new set of tires for my WebSpokes....

Old 05-17-2006, 04:16 PM
Paul
6th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
I hope not! I've had my RFs mounted and dismounted a couple at the dealer. I guess I'll find out if I ever get a flat

o-ron, I don't mean to dissuade you from selling, I seriously considered going to GSD3s last month prior to going back from my winter holies. But I find a tiny bit of comfort in having RFs. I've got the OE Dunlop performance tires and yes, they are loud and they're pointless once the temp goes below 35... but otherwise they hold up just fine! I'm actually really impressed with their rain performance. Coming back from the Dragon, we hit some decent down pour but at 10 under a Bill, the ride felt solid!

Patrick will offer two things to you when you check out - rim & wheel insurance and gap coverage. My opinion - take the rim & wheel insurance and keep the OE tires till they wear out. Also if you are financing and your down is less than 30% (I think that's the magic number) consider the gap insurance.

Old 05-17-2006, 07:58 PM
o-ron
5th Gear
Originally Posted by paulr
I hope not! I've had my RFs mounted and dismounted a couple at the dealer. I guess I'll find out if I ever get a flat

o-ron, I don't mean to dissuade you from selling, I seriously considered going to GSD3s last month prior to going back from my winter holies. But I find a tiny bit of comfort in having RFs. I've got the OE Dunlop performance tires and yes, they are loud and they're pointless once the temp goes below 35... but otherwise they hold up just fine! I'm actually really impressed with their rain performance. Coming back from the Dragon, we hit some decent down pour but at 10 under a Bill, the ride felt solid!

Patrick will offer two things to you when you check out - rim & wheel insurance and gap coverage. My opinion - take the rim & wheel insurance and keep the OE tires till they wear out. Also if you are financing and your down is less than 30% (I think that's the magic number) consider the gap insurance.
rim & wheel insurance? won't my normal insurance cover that? or warranty?

I'll probably get gap insurance.

Old 05-17-2006, 08:05 PM
o-ron
5th Gear
Originally Posted by blockh102
What are you looking to get for these?

Let me know. I bet that the wait is killing you.
They're $250/ea from Tire-Rack, so since they'll still be new I'm thinking 30% off for $700 for the set.

Old 05-18-2006, 06:09 AM
CooperGear
Banned
I thought that the add on things were from "That" dealer. Is this wrong?

$700.00 is a bit too much for me. I will just be going for some cheap ones from tire rack. I will never buy a set of runflats.

Old 05-18-2006, 09:09 AM
Paul
6th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by o-ron
rim & wheel insurance? won't my normal insurance cover that? or warranty?

I'll probably get gap insurance.
The rim and wheel insurance is a negotiable add on at closing that will cover the costs to replace (or repair?) a busted rim or tire from pot hole damage. It will not cover curb rash. I looked at it this way - a new rim and/or tire will probably cost the same as the insurance.

Your auto insurance will probably cover the damage costs, but you'll have to fork over your deductible first. I try not to touch my auto insurance except for really big problems (accident, body damage, etc). The less you touch it, the better your rates will be.