Canadian 1st Gen owners - heated windshield?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 03:32 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Canadian 1st Gen owners - heated windshield?

Hey neighbors!

I had a couple of questions regarding the 1st Gen (i.e. R50, R52 & R53) heated windshield (AKA "visibility package")... an option that was not officially available to those of us south of the border, but as I understand it, reasonably prevalent in the Great White North.

So... which of you has the option in your MINI and can answer some of my basic questions on it?

Old 08-04-2007, 03:43 PM
faster,Tobias!
1st Gear
What do you need to know? My MINI doesn't have the heated windshield, but I am a MINI MA, so hopefully I can help.

Old 08-04-2007, 04:04 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Originally Posted by faster,Tobias!
What do you need to know? My MINI doesn't have the heated windshield, but I am a MINI MA, so hopefully I can help.
Primarily, how does it get activated? Does it come on automatically when you set your heater controls to defrost the windshield (i.e. with heated air), or is there a separate switch to activate it, like there is for the rear windshield?

If there is a separate switch, where is it located and what does it look like?

The reason I ask all this... I am potentially in an extremely rare position of being able to retrofit this to my MINI... but I want to understand all of the components that go into this option. The only two I am acutely aware of now are:
  1. Power connector to right (passenger) side of windshield - part of the main wiring harness
  2. Special heated windshield itself
I have both of those covered, although I will have to go through alternate channels (also from Canada!) to obtain the windshield, because MINIUSA is asinine in blocking access to OEM parts for options that were not made for sale in the USA.

I just need to understand how it works better so that I can dig through the parts database and see what else I need to get it working.

Old 08-08-2007, 09:12 AM
Ferroequine
4th Gear
I think it is controlled by a button on the heater controls panel. On mine (manual controls, so the buttons are located around the dials), I have the A/C on the top RH, Air Recirc on the bottom RH, and IIRC rear defrost on the bottom LH. I have a "blank" button on the top LH, which I believe is for the heated front windscreen (which I don't have).

This is the panel I'm talking about:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...21&hg=64&fg=20

Last edited by Ferroequine; 08-08-2007 at 09:20 AM. Reason: Added link
Old 08-08-2007, 10:11 AM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Originally Posted by Ferroequine
I think it is controlled by a button on the heater controls panel. On mine (manual controls, so the buttons are located around the dials), I have the A/C on the top RH, Air Recirc on the bottom RH, and IIRC rear defrost on the bottom LH. I have a "blank" button on the top LH, which I believe is for the heated front windscreen (which I don't have).

This is the panel I'm talking about:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...21&hg=64&fg=20
Awesome - that points me in the right direction, although in my case I have the automatic AC... the other page for the automatic AC also shows a specific control panel for the visibility package:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...20&hg=64&fg=20

Thanks Ferro!

Old 08-08-2007, 11:28 AM
faster,Tobias!
1st Gear
My apologies for not getting back to this sooner - it was a long weekend up here, and I was away. Ferroequine got it right; there is a button on the ACC for activating the heater, though I thought that the wiring for it came through the rear view mirror, though I have never looked elsewhere on the windscreen. Good luck with it.
Originally Posted by Edge
Primarily, how does it get activated? Does it come on automatically when you set your heater controls to defrost the windshield (i.e. with heated air), or is there a separate switch to activate it, like there is for the rear windshield?

If there is a separate switch, where is it located and what does it look like?

The reason I ask all this... I am potentially in an extremely rare position of being able to retrofit this to my MINI... but I want to understand all of the components that go into this option. The only two I am acutely aware of now are:
  1. Power connector to right (passenger) side of windshield - part of the main wiring harness
  2. Special heated windshield itself
I have both of those covered, although I will have to go through alternate channels (also from Canada!) to obtain the windshield, because MINIUSA is asinine in blocking access to OEM parts for options that were not made for sale in the USA.

I just need to understand how it works better so that I can dig through the parts database and see what else I need to get it working.

Old 08-10-2007, 01:49 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Originally Posted by faster,Tobias!
My apologies for not getting back to this sooner - it was a long weekend up here, and I was away. Ferroequine got it right; there is a button on the ACC for activating the heater, though I thought that the wiring for it came through the rear view mirror, though I have never looked elsewhere on the windscreen. Good luck with it.
No worries, Tobias... I got the info I needed, and I ordered a new A/C control unit... those things are expensive! Ouch!

I can confirm that the wiring itself for the heated windshield is independent of the rear view mirror. It's part of the body harness, actually.

Old 08-10-2007, 07:39 PM
Jeremy1026
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Edge
No worries, Tobias... I got the info I needed, and I ordered a new A/C control unit... those things are expensive! Ouch!

I can confirm that the wiring itself for the heated windshield is independent of the rear view mirror. It's part of the body harness, actually.
Oh no, are the techs going to be ripping apart Mr. OEMs wiring, again.

Old 08-10-2007, 08:03 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Originally Posted by Jeremy1026
Oh no, are the techs going to be ripping apart Mr. OEMs wiring, again.
Nope.