Maintenance and service work in AK?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 06:04 PM
nameless_ak
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maintenance and service work in AK?

Hi everyone! Question for all you Alaska mini owners. Where do you have your maintenance done on your MiNi? Like oil changes and what not? I won't deal with the BMW dealer in anchorage they drive me crazy and they're way overpriced! Anyone know of a good shop that knows MINI's and doesn't charge an arm and a leg? Thanks for any advice!

Old 09-09-2011, 06:55 PM
AK.JCW
3rd Gear
Nameless we have two choices in anchorage, Accurate Import and Arctic Imports. Both are very good shops and will make your Mini purr. Join the local club and there are folks in there that can assist you with more information than you might want!

Old 09-09-2011, 08:06 PM
Ween
3rd Gear
This is good news! Just found out this week I'll be moving to Anchorage early next year!

Old 09-10-2011, 12:08 AM
nameless_ak
1st Gear
Great! Thanks a ton!

Old 09-10-2011, 06:07 PM
ceoengr
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was visiting downtown Sitka couple of weeks ago and saw a black R53 parked on the street across from Sitka Hotel. Being a Miniac from Texas, I kept looking for the owner as I was curious as to where did he/she went for service & or warranty repairs. LOL I did take a picture.

Old 09-11-2011, 10:45 PM
AKmcs
1st Gear
Just bought a 2010 MCS from Michigan. I'm flying to drive it up next week. Anyone have a breakdown or warranty claim while they are here in Alaska. Just wondering how "accommodating" MiniUSA will be.

Thanks
~Mark

Old 09-12-2011, 12:08 AM
nameless_ak
1st Gear
Originally Posted by AKmcs
Just bought a 2010 MCS from Michigan. I'm flying to drive it up next week. Anyone have a breakdown or warranty claim while they are here in Alaska. Just wondering how "accommodating" MiniUSA will be.

Thanks
~Mark
Hi Mark, I've done a lot of research on this subject.
There's two scenarios of what will happen. If you have a break down and need towing MINI Road Side Assistance is very accommodating. For instance I had wheel problem while driving up to AK, I was in the middle of know where in the Yukon territory and MINI paid to tow my car over 100 miles to a shop where a guy fixed the wheel for me. No problem.

BUT

MINI will not pay for warranty work in Alaska because there is no MINI dealership; even though there is a BMW dealership that works on Minis.

If you break down MINI will pay to ship your car to Seattle (the closest MINI Dealer). Then they will fix the car at no cost. However, you are responsible for picking the car up after it is done being fixed and getting it home. (A 3000 mile drive or $2500 ferry ride)

So.... it really sucks.
The good news is that if something goes terribly wrong with the car it is covered but you won't be wanting to have mini fix your burned out headlight any time soon. lol

Old 09-12-2011, 08:25 PM
MrsDarcy
Coordinator :: Alaska MINI Club
Nameless is mostly right... I can speak from experience since MINI shipped mine from Anchorage to Seattle earlier this year in April. It had one major timing-chain issue, but also some other smaller things that needed repaired.

MINI was really great at getting my ride taken care of! The only down side was that I had to bring her back up myself or pay for the shipping ($1600). I went with the former and went for the road trip! 2300 miles and 3 days later I made it back to Alaska and only spent about $600 on the trip. It was a great trip and I'd be willing to do it again if I had to!

Some good news: there's been a rumor going around that BMW of Anchorage is trying to get approved by MINI USA to add a MINI dealership. For a while I thought it was just a rumor, but at the MINI club's previous rally one of the owners traded his R53 in for an R56 at BMW. They told him MINI USA came up to AK and they were approved! Now, from what I understand it's a done deal, but I'm not going to hold my breath until I hear it for myself. Once I confirm it, I'll be sure to post it here!

Also, MINI USA told me that it is also possible to get warranty work done in Alaska, but it is case-by-case only. You'd have to pay for it yourself and submit the claim to MINI. It's not guaranteed, but it's not too bad either as there is the BMW shop and a couple other reputable repair places in town.

The most terrible thing about the whole warranty experience was the rental car they gave me wasn't a MINI... It was just awful going without one for so long!!! But luckily I had the local club here to get me through it

Old 09-12-2011, 09:53 PM
Ween
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MrsDarcy
Some good news: there's been a rumor going around that BMW of Anchorage is trying to get approved by MINI USA to add a MINI dealership. For a while I thought it was just a rumor, but at the MINI club's previous rally one of the owners traded his R53 in for an R56 at BMW. They told him MINI USA came up to AK and they were approved! Now, from what I understand it's a done deal, but I'm not going to hold my breath until I hear it for myself. Once I confirm it, I'll be sure to post it here!
Man, this is most excellent news if proven to be true!

Old 09-22-2011, 11:27 PM
Getagrip
Neutral
That would be great to have a MINI service center much less a dealer up here. I'd like to get a new MCS or Countryman as a second car if my 1M deal falls through.

Old 12-30-2011, 02:30 PM
FunSze
1st Gear
I was at BMW this week due to serious issues with my MINI and was informed by them, and by MINI Corporate Headquarters that there will in fact be a MINI dealership up here within 6 months. It's being built across the street from the Toyota Dealership right next to BMW. They're supposedly just waiting for permits to break ground on the building.