MOTD Pano Photo

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 11:55 AM
Cooper Guy
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MOTD Pano Photo

I received my MOTD panoramic photo in the mail today. I ordered the photo with just the MINIs. I was surprised how quickly it came compared to other years, just a week after it was taken. But after looking at it, I can see how they got it out so quickly - they didn't retouch the photo like they have in other years. My other photos have the people and chairs on the hillside removed and people along the street in the background removed. It does not look like my other photos when placed side-by-side. It is also printed darker than the other photos. (I notice these things because I am a pro photographer and own my own photo lab and frame shop.) I'm truly disappointed.

Old 05-07-2011, 01:09 PM
Ladyvalea
2nd Gear

I'm happy with my photo!!
but then again, this is my first Dragon photo, so I have nothing to compare it with... but its all good for me!!

Old 05-07-2011, 01:51 PM
NavyNUKE
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is there anywhere that there's a digital copy of this? I'd love to see it, I'd also like the see the comparison if you have it, just out of curiosity with the doctoring.

Old 05-07-2011, 02:55 PM
smurfette26
4th Gear
Pretty sure the company that does these keeps a pretty tight leash on the digital copies. I havent seen any good ones floating about.

I got mine today too! Super fast compared to last year, a one week turn around time including shipping. I do prefer the cleaner look of last year where they edited out the people watching. They had also cleaned up the shadow of the tree on the left last year (at least it looks that way to me). And the photo was zoomed out a little more last year. Not a bad picture by any means...how could a photo of almost 250 MINI be bad. Just a little better last year IMO.

I also didnt notice any photoshopped in MINI? Can anyone verify that a MINI shown wasnt actually there.

Old 05-08-2011, 09:11 AM
Cooper Guy
4th Gear
I'll take last year's photo out of the frame and photograph it side-by-side with the new pano and post the photos here in the next day or so. You all be the judge.

One thing I want to add is that the photographer went out of their way to display last year's image, in a frame, showing everyone what you will be getting. When you do that as a vendor, there is an expection as a buyer to get what is displayed and expect consistency when the new pano is received. Clearly what was sent was not the same as what was displayed.

I also noticed that the photographer changed their method of shooting. Other years they were using a continuous 360 rotating camera. This year it was a rotating camera but there were individual photos taken that were then stitched together. Not sure if that lowered the quality a bit and/or if they didn't want to take the time to retouch the photo.

Old 05-08-2011, 11:46 AM
smurfette26
4th Gear
I know we were specifically discussing the display of last year's photo with some people and how pleased we were with the quality. I have mine hanging one under the other and the difference is very noticeable to me. Last years photo seems more even and consistant if that makes any sense.

I am interested in hearing what others think!

Old 05-08-2011, 09:18 PM
LeahLuvsMINIs
2nd Gear
ahhhhhh why does everyone have their photo and not me!!! lol, I'm always the last! But now I'm worried, can't wait to see if I notice the difference.

Old 05-09-2011, 04:57 AM
snooter
Mr. MOTD
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
can't wait to get mine.

FYI. Keep in mind last year was overcast and this year was sunny, that would explain the shadow of the tree this year and why some folks and MINIs are in the shaded areas this year. Also, last year George caught some slack for removing bystanders only to find out that they ordered pictures only to find out they were removed. Chaulk that up to the "you can't win for losing" column. Just thought I'd toss that out there. Still looking forward to getting my copy.

Last edited by snooter; 05-09-2011 at 11:15 AM.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:45 AM
phinzup
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Cooper Guy
This year it was a rotating camera but there were individual photos taken that were then stitched together. Not sure if that lowered the quality a bit and/or if they didn't want to take the time to retouch the photo.
It looked to me like a GigaPan Pro system. They do great quality gigapixel pics with the right setup. Check out GigaPan.com for some amazing panoramics.

That said, I like my pano. It's pretty cool.

Old 05-09-2011, 01:37 PM
smurfette26
4th Gear
Originally Posted by snooter
can't wait to get mine.

FYI. Keep in mind last year was overcast and this year was sunny, that would explain the shadow of the tree this year and why some folks and MINIs are in the shaded areas this year. Also, last year George caught some slack for removing bystanders only to find out that they ordered pictures only to find out they were removed. Chaulk that up to the "you can't win for losing" column. Just thought I'd toss that out there. Still looking forward to getting my copy.
Thanks for suggesting that the sunniness verses last year's cloudiness for the tree shadow difference. To me it looked like part of the shadow is there last year and it just doesnt get the MINIs, that is why I thought maybe there was some photo magic going on there...but I am hardly a photographer so I can easily accept your explanation! As for the extra people complaining they arent in the photo I can understand that for the people and MINIs photo but I think the MINIs only photo should be void of people*. I still love the photo and will probably get it next year either way but I think I will still give some feedback back to the photographer...maybe if enough people feel the same way, there will be three options next year (MINIs, bystanders and people)

* OK, I am the one that puts the dog in the MINIs only photo so I understand how I may seem a little hypocritical here. I actually wasnt planning on putting Lola in the MINIs only photo this year but quite a few people told me that they enjoyed here presence in that photo. If there is anyone that would rather her not be in the photo next year, please just let me know and I will keep her out of it. I certainly dont want to ruin it for anybody.

Old 05-09-2011, 01:41 PM
George S. Pearl, QPP
1st Gear
Hi Ya'll,
Last year's panorama was shot under cloudy overcast evenly lighted sky while this year there were no clouds, just harsh sun. I have nothing to do with that you know! We had to dodge EVERY single face in the photo so you would all show up well. There are heavy shadows because that's what happens in the sun. Please keep in mind that this is about a 227 degree picture, so half of the group is really facing the sun while the other half is more in shadow with the sun to their backs. The grass has been all redone in the photo and that is what is darker and better than what is really a lot of dirt patches and faded out grass there.
We will are now working on the framed ones to ship out later this week. A whole lot of laminated ones went out today. If any of you have a defect of any sort, please contact us as we want you to be happy.
Thanks for your understanding , I wish I had a Cooper!
George S. Pearl

Old 05-09-2011, 01:53 PM
snooter
Mr. MOTD
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree, the MINI only photo should have no people.

Actually, we or I, probably need to make a announcement next year for the MINI only photo that everyone needs to clear out. Not sure that after George announces for everyone to leave that it should be his job to harrass the stragglers, that should be on us (or me as the case may be).

I'd be happy to use the two-ways and my big mouth to get the job done, maybe someone can remind me at the event. By Saturday I'm kinda frazzled

Old 05-09-2011, 04:48 PM
smurfette26
4th Gear
Just a quick warning, I received a call from the photographers today. I guess a few of the tubes opened during shipping and some poster tubes arrived without posters inside of them. If you receive on of the empty tubes and you havent yet heard from them, give them a call to let them know you got an empty tube.

While I had her on the line, I asked if she would mind a bit of feedback. She said that they welcomed all feedback. I told her that I had attended 2 MOTD and gotten a panoramic photo from both years. I had chosen the MINI only photos both times and I much preferred last years photo where the people in the background had been digitally erased. She said that it would make sense that I wouldnt want people in it if I ordered the MINI only photo. I then thanked her for calling to confirm that I had received my photo and we said goodbye.

Old 05-10-2011, 06:33 AM
fastautoxmini
3rd Gear
I ordered the laminated photo so I could frame it myself. The lamination had lines running vertically on the photo. Almost as if the lamination was not set and they rolled the photo for shipping. So I will call them today or tomorrow to voice my concern...

Old 05-10-2011, 07:31 AM
Cooper Guy
4th Gear
I received the same call from the photographers yesterday. I asked why they didn't retouch ALL the people out of the photo like other years. Their answer was that they did do some retouching but decided not to take EVERYONE out (on the hillside with lawn chairs). She agreed that maybe they should have completed it but didn't.

I also asked about the contrast and they said they beefed up the saturation a bit (note the brightness and glow of orange MINI in row 2 near the center). She agreed that maybe they over saturated it a bit but also the bright sunny day didn't help the contrast. I agree with that and would take a SUNNY day ANYTIME over a rainy day when doing this photo. For the vets of MOTD, we've done that! What a mess.

Overall, yes it's a good photo. Just wished it matched my other photos I already have. If I decide to frame, I'll hang it someplace away from the other panos I already have.

Old 05-13-2011, 01:41 PM
FranticFreddy
6th Gear
Old 05-17-2011, 04:02 AM
Isuldor
2nd Gear
Anyone received there framed print yet? I'm still waiting.

Old 05-17-2011, 07:35 AM
nansumner
1st Gear
My neighbor and I got our laminated photos (one w/ and one w/o) yesterday and they are great to me. Now my only problem is deciding which picture I want. Neighbor says I can choose....she doesn't have a preference.

PS - To Smurfette, keep Lola in the MINIs only photo....

Last edited by nansumner; 05-17-2011 at 07:41 AM. Reason: Added "keep Lola".
Old 06-14-2011, 06:53 PM
YELLOWMINIAZ
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Cooper Guy
I received the same call from the photographers yesterday. I asked why they didn't retouch ALL the people out of the photo like other years. Their answer was that they did do some retouching but decided not to take EVERYONE out (on the hillside with lawn chairs). She agreed that maybe they should have completed it but didn't.

I also asked about the contrast and they said they beefed up the saturation a bit (note the brightness and glow of orange MINI in row 2 near the center). She agreed that maybe they over saturated it a bit but also the bright sunny day didn't help the contrast. I agree with that and would take a SUNNY day ANYTIME over a rainy day when doing this photo. For the vets of MOTD, we've done that! What a mess.

Overall, yes it's a good photo. Just wished it matched my other photos I already have. If I decide to frame, I'll hang it someplace away from the other panos I already have.
I was one of those people who received an empty tube. The end came right off and the picture disappeared. I called them immediately and they replaced the picture for me with no questions. The only thing I have to say on that is why don't they use photo tubes to mail these pictures? We pay a lot of money to get the picture I feel it should be shipped in a photo tube!

That Orange MINI in row 2 was mine and it is a little bright. But she is a bright color too. I agree with the MINI ONLY picture their should be no people in the picture at all. I wanted one with cars only and I feel they should have taken the people out.

Looking forward to next year!!