Are you one of these "skilled" drivers during MOTD?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 03:27 PM
maxxboy
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are you one of these "skilled" drivers during MOTD?

One of these days someone is going to get seriously injured, if not killed.

"This was also the year of some of the worse driving we've seen from the MINI group" - Killboy.com

Recognize anyone here??

http://killboy.blogspot.com/search?u...6%3A00-04%3A00

And here is video from the weekend. Not sure what road. Driver turned left, right in front of another car...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4Zzj...layer_embedded

Old 05-04-2011, 04:19 PM
carman63
3rd Gear
I didn't recognize the Killboy shots, but that video... Shot on 28 coming from the Dam, making a left turn into the very first road into Fontana. The second road in is Woods Drive, and takes you to the lodge.

Old 05-04-2011, 04:28 PM
CoopersGuy
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow! This is VERY sad to see. I had a goal when I went to the Dragon the first time, "don't drive off the mountain." Sure, I was not the fastest car out there by any means but I stayed in my lane the whole time.

These people should be ashamed of how they put others at risk. Oh and that video, what the heck was that driver thinking?

Old 05-04-2011, 04:54 PM
kgdblu
6th Gear
You know what? Those people shoudn't come back next year. Seeing such a total disregard for other people's safety make my blood boil.
There is NO excuse for driving like that...none whatsoever.: no:
If these folks do come back next year, I vote we take away their keys!

Old 05-04-2011, 05:02 PM
carman63
3rd Gear
I'd be curious to know how many of them were at MOTD for their first time, and how many took the newbie run. There's some blatant disregard for the double yellow.

As far as the wreck goes, I know the MINI person. If they want to tell the story, it's up to them.

-Jim

Old 05-04-2011, 06:19 PM
Mini Me R/C Racing
2nd Gear
That was a very dangerous location to put the entrance to the lodge. More so since its on a small hill and in the morning, the shadows obscure one lane. I nearly had the same outcome when I was making a left there on Thursday morning. By the time I started to turn left, a Mini in the opposing lane was on top of me pretty quick. Fortunately I crossed before they hit me, but they were speeding so I don't have a lot of sympathy. I sent the NC DOT a map of that intersection on Monday with comments so we'll see if I get a response.

Old 05-04-2011, 06:24 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
No excuse for this stuff, and most if not all of those MINI's are running modified suspensions to boot !

Maybe a Dragon Wall of Shame every year using images like this from previous year...if they can't be put into submission to obey the rules of the road there, then maybe they can be put to shame.

....friend of mine ran it this year for like his 4th time on a stock R53 Sport suspension never leaving his lane, and I get a sense he was paying about as much attention to the speed limit signs as these guys.

This is why Experience and skills FTW.

Old 05-04-2011, 06:59 PM
MiamiGuitarMan
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I hate seeing things like this. Like I mentioned on another thread, I just got my Mini and haven't joined the Mini group on the dragon yet but when I had my saturn sky I went to a couple of the Saturn Sky/Pontiac Solstice dragon events. We never had any issues the times I went ....but..... last year I wasn't able to go and one of the Skys had a fatal accident. There were two people in the car and the driver lost control and went off the road. The passenger was killed and the driver suffered permanent and severe brain damage along with numerous other injuries.

The roads there are a lot of fun but a lot of people don't realize how dangerous they can be.

And this doesn't apply only to regular drivers. The cops there are just as bad and there are plenty of pictures of them crossing over the yellow lines and they also drive off the road every once in a while.

Like raven said, experience, skills, and I'll add respect and common sense to that FTW.

BTW, for the record I was always in the "fast" groups, was pushing about 300hp and drove my *** off. But even doing that it's still possible to use common sense, not cross the yellow lines, and not run off the road.

I look forward to joining the Minis next year and hope things like this don't happen again.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:26 PM
HRM
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just another one of the basic truths.

Buying an expensive set of golf clubs doesnt' lower your handicap.

Just because you are rich, doesn't mean you are intelligent.

A sports car doesn't make you a better driver.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:32 PM
MI_MINI
1st Gear
This is good reason to work on educating drivers new to MOTD. Maybe a 'Dont be this guy' campaign with pictures of how not to drive. A more robust self policing effort would help too. Local clubs can make this a priority for their members who go to MOTD. Just a couple of thoughts. But it looks lime we have a lot of work to do to repair our good reputation.

Motor On!
Chris

Old 05-04-2011, 07:35 PM
jcwrocket
2nd Gear
The disregard for the safety of other drivers, and riders, during MOTD was pretty incredible. We encountered this MINI on the way back to Fontana after the Dragon Parade. There was a slow truck and motorcycle in front of us for a while, which became rather frustrating, but didn't make me think that putting myself or anyone else in danger would be a good idea.
http://youtu.be/-VgDqCqssEE

Moments after this happened another MINI came up the Hellbender towards us. Less than a minute later the truck and motorcycle pulled over. Patience is a virtue!

Old 05-04-2011, 07:37 PM
FranticFreddy
6th Gear
Not Good, People, Not Good at all. Safety should be your first concern!

Old 05-04-2011, 08:01 PM
phinzup
3rd Gear
Old 05-04-2011, 09:35 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Never driven the Dragon, but one of the first lessons drilled into my brain when learning to ride sportbikes was "The Yellow Line Is The Wall" and I have the same philosophy when driving.

Old 05-04-2011, 09:36 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
OK, never having been there, wanting to been there real bad, knowing a friend who's friend was killed there; at what kind of speed are you making that run? Reason for asking, we've got a few nice roads around here that handle 45mph very nicely throughout and I just set the cruise at that speed and enjoy the journey. Would that kind of approach work on the Dragon?

Old 05-05-2011, 01:52 AM
cmt52663
6th Gear
Received 293 Likes on 222 Posts
I agree - the author of this video did a very nice job I thought, and I enjoyed riding along.

I spent a year doing "The Sunday Morning Ride" on a sport bike up CA US1 from Mill Valley to Pt Reyes, in the company of some very talented riders - many of whom road raced as well. Based on that experience (and this was frequently discussed) here reason # eleventy-six to treat the double yellow as an absolute...

# Eleventy-Six...

If I can see around a corner, and if I habitually use the full width of that section of road, then I have trained myself to rely on it. This means that I expect to brake at a certain point, to carry a certain gear, and to carry the resulting speed.

But - eventually I'll find another vehicle occupying it's own lane and coming at me through that corner, and now all my habits are liabilities that could make the situation very dangerous indeed.

# End of reason...

We all agreed to abide by the double yellow, and it became a point of pride as much as being tidy, selecting good lines, and yet making good time.

Many a morning we were joined by folks (the East Bay seemed a popular origin for many) who were not regulars, and who took pride in their fearlessness as opposed to their control.

Predictably this approach put many a bike over the edge or up on the hillsides, and killed one rider during the year of my participation.

Sorry to preach to the choir folks - as has been said already the vast majority get it right, but only a few can still spoil the fun.

I'm most impressed by the resourcefulness of the organizers, and the willingness of the Mini community to self-police this problem as vigorously as possible.

And thank God no-one paid the ultimate price this year.

Kind regards,

Charlie

Old 05-05-2011, 04:57 AM
phinzup
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Fly'n Brick
we've got a few nice roads around here that handle 45mph very nicely throughout and I just set the cruise at that speed and enjoy the journey. Would that kind of approach work on the Dragon?
No. There are many turns where it is impossible to do 45. You *can* enjoy it at a leisurely pace (witness all the Harleys on their leadsled parade) but setting the cruise control is impossible.

Old 05-05-2011, 07:29 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Originally Posted by phinzup
No. There are many turns where it is impossible to do 45. You *can* enjoy it at a leisurely pace (witness all the Harleys on their leadsled parade) but setting the cruise control is impossible.
Thanks, I was only using our local driving style as a metaphorical example knowing that speed wouldn't work in those hills but just trying to get an idea of what an enjoyable tour would entail. I've driven in NZ where they have signs with crooked arrows that say 10KPH and, brother, they mean 6MPH and it is still grit your teeth and hold on.

Old 05-05-2011, 07:54 AM
ke4sfq
4th Gear
Originally Posted by maxxboy
I am the Chili Red in front (in the lines) of the one that is on the wrong side! I noticed that picture while looking for my car earlier this week. I was shocked!! I did meet the guy but can't remember his name right now. It was his first Dragon in a newly bought MINI but has many sports cars at home. I never noticed any line crossing by him in the rear view but then again I rarely have time to look when I am driving the Dragon!

Last edited by ke4sfq; 05-06-2011 at 12:38 PM.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:13 AM
CoopersGuy
2nd Gear
OK, never having been there, wanting to been there real bad, knowing a friend who's friend was killed there; at what kind of speed are you making that run? Reason for asking, we've got a few nice roads around here that handle 45mph very nicely throughout and I just set the cruise at that speed and enjoy the journey. Would that kind of approach work on the Dragon?
No, it will not work. It is a road that has to be driven and it is not for sightseeing.

Old 05-05-2011, 10:46 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Originally Posted by CoopersGuy
No, it will not work. It is a road that has to be driven and it is not for sightseeing.
Your assessment shoots down my preconceived to-do list. Guess I'll have to go re-order my priorities. I do enjoy challenging (adj. & verb) bent roads but look at that as only a portion of the overall experience.

Old 05-05-2011, 11:01 AM
MiamiGuitarMan
4th Gear
The road for the type of driving I think you want to do is the Cherahola Skyway. I don't know how much cruise control you'll be able to use but it's a more open road than the dragon and lends itself more to sightseeing. If you go there you'll want to do both. I tend to drive the Cherahola more than I do the dragon. It's a totally different type of experience.

Old 05-05-2011, 11:06 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MiamiGuitarMan
The road for the type of driving I think you want to do is the Cherahola Skyway. I don't know how much cruise control you'll be able to use but it's a more open road than the dragon and lends itself more to sightseeing. If you go there you'll want to do both. I tend to drive the Cherahola more than I do the dragon. It's a totally different type of experience.
Well, the cruise control is not the issue, it's just a descriptor of a nice liesurly drive so you can focus on what's past the windshield a little more and I have seen pictures of the Skyway and yes that would make a wonderful motoring experience. Thanks for the suggestions, y'all.

Old 05-05-2011, 11:43 AM
MiamiGuitarMan
4th Gear
Well, the cruise control is not the issue, it's just a descriptor of a nice liesurly drive so you can focus on what's past the windshield a little more and I have seen pictures of the Skyway and yes that would make a wonderful motoring experience. Thanks for the suggestions, y'all.

In that case, yes, the Cherahola is definitely what you're looking for! Like I mentioned, I actually spent a lot more time on there than on the dragon.

And there are plenty of other roads in the area that will give you the same type of drive.

I can't wait to go back!!!

Old 05-05-2011, 06:54 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear

Seriously? That had all the makings of a driver’s education class. Let’s see how they drive at speeds other than boring and without a camera to show how “perfect” the run is... please, a little more realistic would have been nice.

It’s easy to stay in the lines when you’re driving at those boring speeds... that’s just a cruise in the park.

Sorry, useless video, just shows the car can drive in-between the lines at slow speeds...

Mark

Quick Reply: Are you one of these "skilled" drivers during MOTD?