as MOTD nears I find myself becoming nervous

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 02:50 PM
jeffster06
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
as MOTD nears I find myself becoming nervous

This year will be my first time going to MOTD it will also be my first time riding the dragon.... I find myself becoming nervous about riding the dragon... I watched the video for newbies and well that didn't help my fears of crashing going off the side etc... any words of wisdom you guys can give me to calm my nerves?

Old 03-26-2011, 03:10 PM
Curbiecooper
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
STAY SMART ! Always watch what is going on and dont try to be a hero.

Old 03-26-2011, 03:48 PM
Dave.O
4th Gear
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Curbiecooper
STAY SMART ! Always watch what is going on and dont try to be a hero.
1+ and dont listen to your radio, pay attention to the road and listen to your car.

Dont worry you will have a great time.

Old 03-26-2011, 03:52 PM
davisflyer
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
You'll be fine. The key your first time is to not push it. There will be people that will drive faster than you. Just pull off and let them pass. It's no big deal. I've been going since 2006 and I live near the Dragon, so I'm VERY familiar with the road. I respect the road. Watch for people that don't!

Old 03-26-2011, 05:06 PM
davavd
6th Gear
A former biker friend of mine once said something I thought was wise. He said never push it so much you don't have a little cushion left over. Just drive at a comfortable speed, stay in your lane, and don't worry about what the other drivers think.

Old 03-26-2011, 06:55 PM
inimini2007
6th Gear
I'm driving my CM ALL4 to the dragon and I plan on being nearing the front for the first run...

Just follow the leader.

Old 03-26-2011, 07:48 PM
Flynscot0256
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Dragon

Watch out for Tractor Trailers They shouldnt be aloud to go on this road last time I was there with the R32 we had a few occassions where we had to pull over to let Big tractor Trailers go by. Do not cross the yello line.

Old 03-26-2011, 07:52 PM
BoCRon
6th Gear
I've been to a few MoTDs and been up to drive the Dragon with the Atlanta MINIs club and just on my own. Go at the speed you feel comfortable. Pick drives that say "moderate" if you plan on going on one of the scheduled drives. I've got a new MINI this year, I went from an '06 supercharger to an '11 turbo. I just got the '11 last week and will be driving the dragon as though it were my first time. I'll be very cautious and will pull over if I feel like other drivers want to pass me. Believe me, your fellow MINI drivers just want everyone to enjoy the drives and come home safe! The MINI group as a whole is a very polite and safety conscience group so a great group to learn with. I was up there one time and there was "another" car club there and they were being a bunch of crazy idiots, no concern for themselves or others. You have a good group to hang with, you'll have a blast!
Annette

Old 03-27-2011, 05:24 AM
snooter
Mr. MOTD
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Take it slow, pay attention, don't let someone riding your a$$ make you go faster than you want. If minivans, station wagons and tractor trailers can do it, you can too

There are lots of other great roads in the area, some of them are even preferred over our namesake.

And watch out on the Hellbender, NC28, that leads from Fontana to the Dragon. More MINIs have crashed on that road than the Dragon.

Old 03-27-2011, 05:59 AM
THE ITCH
5th Gear
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Above all stay in your own lane. Do not be one of those drivers who is driving over the yellow line. Relax and enjoy yourself.
Steve

Old 03-27-2011, 06:09 AM
mininvy
2nd Gear
Jeffster06

You should be fine. As all others above have stated. A couple of pointers... if you are driving in on Dragon to Fontana fully loaded, you will not be driving fast; as your items may get tossed about the cabin, unless really secured.

One word of advise... attend the seminar for new drivers. Also, remember: Do not cross the yellow line! (you might have to if there is an accident etc.) There are many paved areas now where you can pull off if someone wants to fly bye and past.

Think of it as long roller coater, and have fun. Before you know it you will be at Deals Gap and then Fontana.

Cheers,

Old 03-27-2011, 09:33 AM
jeffster06
2nd Gear
thanks for all the advise it is definitely helping. I plan on being at the dragon a day before the event I might take a solo ride just to check things out. I decided to buy a radio for this event and my cell phone and my car stereo will both be turned off when I'm on the dragon. Don't need any possible distractions.

Old 03-27-2011, 10:41 AM
zinvestor
4th Gear
Jeffster

+1 on everything above. Most important is stay within your comfort level, start slow and increase on subsequent runs. Don't be intimidated by those behind.

The newby seminar and run are a good way to learn (Noon Wed and 8:00 Thurs).

Old 03-28-2011, 05:32 AM
IndiCooper
3rd Gear
+1 to what everybody else said!! This is going to be fifth MOTD, but my first with a manual MCS (I had an auto justa before) so I'm gonna be feeling like a newb too! Lol My first year I wasn't allowed to drive the dragon because I had only had my licence for a month, but the next year with only about a years worth of driving experience I was able to drive it just fine!You'll be fine! the big thing is to keep in your comfort zone, and if your on a drive and its considered a "spirited" pace make sure ur close to the front, the back is always the fastest (my favorite)!! And like what snooter said hellbender is a blast, it has twisties but you can take them much faster then the dragon twisties, so people get a little over excited and that's when accidents happen! And its very scenic out there, DON'T SIGHT SEE WHILE YOU DRIVE!! there are plenty of pull offs to stop and look, and its well worth it because there are some great views!!!

Just sit back relax and enjoy the ride!!

Old 03-29-2011, 02:28 PM
Whistler NC
2nd Gear
Jeffster,

Way to go for asking this question....

My concerns are not so much about my driving ablity or going off the side, but more about what we will miss at the newbie briefing.

We will be arriving at Noon on Thursday and will miss the briefings.

For example....I never would have guessed that the rear of the pack is where the FASTER drivers will be if someone didn't tell me. I also heard that last year a Trooper pulled over a line of 19 MINIS, but only wrote tickets to the first four cars....so I guess you don't want to be in front .

I have driven fast cars and crotch rockets and generally drive within my abliity. However, my wife will also be wanting some time behind the wheel and she is not as aggressive, but is no "sunday driver" either.

What is the proper thing to do if she finds herself getting "pushed" by the pack?

Put her right turn signal on and try to find a shoulder so others can pass?

And what about the FRS radios?

What are some things that are said (or not to be said)? I would imagine we call out hazards or five-0/ Po-po

I have watched the intro video 3 x and other than that I think we got things covered. I would imagine from the number of attendees this year that there will be a LOT of first timers and the potential for bad things to happen is there.

Larry

Old 03-29-2011, 03:38 PM
NightFlyR
6th Gear
Maybe try and grab a ride with someone who has alot of experience first. When I instruct newbies on the track, the first few laps I am driving there car and then we switch over.

Old 03-29-2011, 03:46 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I haven't ridden this particular road, but I have been on lots of group crotch rocket rides and I think the same guidelines probably apply.

The Yellow Line is the wall: do not go so fast that you can't stay in your lane.. hold your line and drive within your abilities.

If you feel like you are being "pushed," take a deep breath and move over to let them pass when it's safe. Never drive beyond your limits to satisfy someone else.. if you wreck, they will be held up even longer.

The MINI community seems very friendly as a whole, I expect you won't feel bullied to speed faster than you want to. A dry run alone would probably give you some peace of mind as you will have a better idea of what the road is like.

Have fun! Wish I could make it!

Old 03-29-2011, 07:20 PM
docv
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Dont let someone behind you hurry you to pull onto the shoulder, wait untill the next pull off then let them by, some of the shoulders have at least a six inch drop and can really do some damage to you MINI and if you do that at 35 MPH it could be nasty.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:12 AM
callahan00
5th Gear
Look for the pull-offs. They are paved and have enough room to get over. The other consideration for the pull-offs is signal when exiting. If trafic is a concern, ususally mornings are a lot less crowded then early afternoons. Only drive to your avility and comfort and if you are prone to motion sickness, take some dramamine [sp?] a half hour before. This year may be a little more crowded than last since the Dragon is not closed at Tabcat bridge. There will be lots of MINI's there in addition to the locals just trying to get from a to b. Last year I saw many drivers [bikes and MINI's] going over the yellow and cutting it close to the shoulder. Remember that help is about 45 minutes away. As stated in a previous post, the road to the dragon can be as challenging as the dragon since it cathes many off guard. We were almost in a head-on with a big Ford 150 coming down the hill from Fontana that had crossed the yellow. Be defensive.

Old 04-07-2011, 11:12 AM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Having some fear going into it is good, it keeps you smart and the shinny side up.

Old 04-07-2011, 11:23 AM
snooter
Mr. MOTD
Originally Posted by Motor On
Having some fear going into it is good, it keeps you smart and the shinny side up.

Old 04-07-2011, 11:34 AM
IndiCooper
3rd Gear
If you want I have a magnet someone stuck on my dads car a couple years ago that says this side up, your more then welcome to barrow it!! Lol but really you'll be fine!

Old 04-07-2011, 12:21 PM
DixonL2
6th Gear
Pat your roof if there's po-po in the area - and if you see someone else pat their roof (or helmet), SLOW DOWN.

Someone else can drive the Dragon faster than you. Always. So what? Try to drive so you smile more than the other guy.

It's not fun if you're at 10/10ths... but is a GREAT "rhythm road" for road dancing - and precision driving!

Proper thing to do if being pushed: Drive at your speed, signal right, and pull off - carefully - into the next pulloff. Let 'em by, wave, and motor on.

Proper thing to do if you're the one doing the pushing: BE PATIENT! They'll either pull off or they won't (generally they will), and you'll live to drive another Dragon

Things to do while following slower cars:
- Practice the proper, late-apex line for road driving... going fast masks a LOT of driving line and apex mistakes!
- Watch their line, determine if they know about driving
- Look inside: Is it a local heading to Church? Driving their Mom somewhere?
- Pull off (safely) and listen to the crazies

You will come upon pickups towing boats, county maintenance vehicles, campers - it's a public road, and the fastest way north from Robbinsville to Knoxville. To the locals, it's just "129", or "my commute". Be respectful.

By and large the Mini community is a courteous bunch of levelheaded folks, especially as compared to other folks running the road. Heck, one of the msot enjoyable things I've done on the Dragon is to safely pull off to the side and watch folks go by!

Oh - if you do that, you'll recognize something enlightening to most folks: slowing down as you approach the po-po, then wondering if they knew you were speeding... well... let's just say your Borla/Milltek/Alta/JCW/Intake/downshifts gave you away 6 turns ago!

Old 04-07-2011, 01:03 PM
jeffster06
2nd Gear
all the info is really helpful guys.. I actually may be taking a trip to TN the weekend before. looking at the directions from nashville (where ill be) to fontana ill have to drive through the dragon to reach my destination should be fun lol.

on another note I think I need to change the title to the thread to "as MOTD nears my mini keeps breaking" I was changing a leaking slave cylinder today and discovered a nice coolant leak seems its rolling off the SC somewhere my guess is my water pump is about to crap out on me. Oh joy for last minute repairs.