The Police

Old 05-04-2008, 02:45 PM
Sarcux
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Police

Last night a 1:00 AM during a torrential downpour, a cop zipped by my buddy Eaton to pull me over right inside fontana. There were two down by the dam on either side of the bridge on 28, and we were NOT speeding, so I couldn't figure out what was wrong.

Turns out that he went through all that trouble to pull me over and embarass me in front of the entire returning midnight run... because I have too many lights on the front of my car. He gave me a written warning after making me wait for 10 minutes, then proceeded to pull over at least FIVE more cars returning to Fontana for much needed sleep.

I can understand enforcement on the Dragon. It is a dangerous road. But now that North Carolina has joined the punch into simply harassing people... it seems to me like they are only hurting themselves at this point. I have never seen so many cops at MOTD as I have this year, I'm afraid that this increased presence is going to start to scare people away from driving to local towns, and hence hurt the local economy.

Anyone else think the police are getting a bit overbearing?

Old 05-04-2008, 03:07 PM
rlnewby
2nd Gear
That sucks. How many lights do you have?

Old 05-04-2008, 03:10 PM
vango
1st Gear
Thats weird I think I only saw 1 cop all weekend and he was on the tenn. side of the dragon. Glad you didnt get a ticket.

Old 05-04-2008, 03:44 PM
leighrhea720
Neutral
We were up on Saturday ONLY (daylight hours) and saw 4 cops.
3 sheriff's dept. & 1 state trooper all TN- no NC cops were spotted....
We made numerous runs and it seemed a little excessive to us, but we were Dragon "Virgins" so thought maybe it was the norm..guess not.
~We had a blast though despite the man!~

Old 05-04-2008, 04:12 PM
Sarcux
6th Gear
I have the Alta 4-light bar.

Old 05-04-2008, 04:14 PM
wbarnhill
Coordinator :: Upstate MINIs
Was it a written warning? If so, does it at least reference what law you were supposedly violating??

Old 05-04-2008, 04:17 PM
Sarcux
6th Gear
It was indeed written, but I realized on my way home from the Dragon today that I left the warning sheet in the cabin.

Old 05-04-2008, 04:21 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by wbarnhill
Was it a written warning? If so, does it at least reference what law you were supposedly violating??
It's section 20-130, which says that you can't have more than 2 auxiliary driving lights.

Old 05-04-2008, 04:22 PM
Sarcux
6th Gear
They busted one guy for having his "halo" lights, and I hear the cabrio that was covered with blinking lights got nabbed too.

Old 05-04-2008, 04:24 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not quite sure why you think you were being harassed. I don't know of any states that allow more than 4 lights to be burning at one time.... thus the reason why OEM foglamps turn off when the highbeams come on.

The dragon can be dangerous enough, you even said it was having a torrential downpour so I'm sure you lights could have blinded someone.

Everyone has experienced the way lights reflect when it's wet, I'm sure yours burning were that much more.

I know you didn't like it but I think he was doing his job... nothing more, nothing less, I don't think it was harassment.

Mark

Old 05-04-2008, 04:28 PM
cabriopilot
6th Gear
I saw a few LEO's during the 6 days that I was there but I see a lot more than that around where I live and so it didn't bother me.
I do know that they were pulling over those that were cruising back from the Midnight On The Dragon run near Fontana Village for excessive lighting.
I personally was very lucky that my lead foot didn't get me into any trouble because out of the few times that I did see the LEO's I was not so innocent.

Old 05-04-2008, 04:32 PM
wbarnhill
Coordinator :: Upstate MINIs
Originally Posted by orangecrush
I'm not quite sure why you think you were being harassed. I don't know of any states that allow more than 4 lights to be burning at one time.... thus the reason why OEM foglamps turn off when the highbeams come on.

The dragon can be dangerous enough, you even said it was having a torrential downpour so I'm sure you lights could have blinded someone.

Everyone has experienced the way lights reflect when it's wet, I'm sure yours burning were that much more.

I know you didn't like it but I think he was doing his job... nothing more, nothing less, I don't think it was harassment.

Mark
But see, this goes further than burning at one time. The statute states:

(b) Auxiliary Driving Lamps. – Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two auxiliary driving lamps mounted on the front, and every such auxiliary driving lamp or lamps shall meet the requirements and limitations set forth in G.S. 20‑131, subsection (c).
(c) Restrictions on Lamps. – Any device, other than headlamps, spot lamps, or auxiliary driving lamps, which projects a beam of light of an intensity greater than 25 candlepower, shall be so directed that no part of the beam will strike the level of the surface on which the vehicle stands at a distance of more than 50 feet from the vehicle.
So you can't even have more than 2 lamps mounted on the front in NC, burning or not. Kinda silly if you ask me, considering the number of trucks I see in SC/NC with all kinds of lights on them.

Old 05-04-2008, 04:33 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
So you setup the car in a manner that was illegal, it's been covered enough on NAM that most people know what is and isn't legal, the packaging that comes with most automotive lights reminds you to check the laws, and he was nice enough to just give you a warning. I'd be thankful, not complaining.

Old 05-04-2008, 04:34 PM
Sarcux
6th Gear
This was my 11th trip to the Dragon, and the police presence was easily 3 times what it has been in the past.

Old 05-04-2008, 04:37 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by wbarnhill
But see, this goes further than burning at one time. The statute states:

So you can't even have more than 2 lamps mounted on the front in NC, burning or not. Kinda silly if you ask me, considering the number of trucks I see in SC/NC with all kinds of lights on them.
I remember installing a set of driving lamps that you literally could see for 2 miles down the road. (200 watt), I had to change the bulbs out but according to the statute, I'd be screwed in the H2. (nevermind the 4 lamps on top of the truck)

Mark

Old 05-04-2008, 04:41 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by orangecrush
I remember installing a set of driving lamps that you literally could see for 2 miles down the road. (200 watt), I had to change the bulbs out but according to the statute, I'd be screwed in the H2. (nevermind the 4 lamps on top of the truck)

Mark
The light from auxiliary driving lamps doesn't have to strike the road within 50 feet of the car, so your flamethrowers wouldn't have violated the statue by themselves.

Old 05-04-2008, 04:42 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Sarcux
This was my 11th trip to the Dragon, and the police presence was easily 3 times what it has been in the past.

Well, like you said... at least you got a warning and not a ticket. It just sucks they have to be there in force. Unfortunately, the friviolous tickets go to the guys doing simple crap....eg. 5-10 mph over the limit.

(I remember when the speed limit through the dragon was 55mph... that was GREAT)

The idiots that cause accidents and get themselves killed (or kill someone else) seem to slide by unscathed.

My point is, it's like they can't differentiate between the real idiots and the minor infractions.

Mark

Last edited by orangecrush; 05-04-2008 at 04:50 PM.
Old 05-04-2008, 04:44 PM
Sarcux
6th Gear
Agreed.

Old 05-04-2008, 04:57 PM
Thumper460
4th Gear
LOL... you guys... breaking the law is breaking the law!! Getting hassled for lites.. and NOT getting busted for speeding, speeds too fast for conditions, squealing tires and exhibition of speed.. is cool with ME!! We are on that road to THEIR discretion.. yes?? To me it is a sure sign of Dereliction of duty!! for NOT handing out tickets!! Yes?? Like the one that gave me a "warning" Sat for ..... well we ALL know what I was doing!! ( thank you Valentine one!!)

Actually.. other than the guys getting tickets and warnings and Hassled.. that place rocks!! the Cops were cool, and the Dragon is a real trip!! And seeing how it was less than 1% of 1% that even saw cops.. I thein we did OK!! Yes!! But I have to admit... the straight roads here in Fl are a good thing !! ( Today anyway!! LOL)

Just me.................................

Thumper

Old 05-04-2008, 05:08 PM
vargasgal
5th Gear
I was driving the other car with the blinking lights. I noticed that the cops were looking at me pretty hard as I drove past you, but they didn't say anything. I am guessing the cabrio must have pulled in after me.

So I wonder if that means no more lights, glow stuff, etc. in the future?

Old 05-04-2008, 05:12 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Thumper460
LOL... you guys... breaking the law is breaking the law!! Thumper
I agree BUT you, me, and EVERYONE there knows that EVERYONE that travels to the Dragon is there for more than a scenic drive. (otherwise they need to be on the Blueridge parkway)

I'm not saying that just because that's true that excuses us or anyone for breaking the law but you'd think that they would be a little more lenient for minor infractions. (eg. 5-10mph over the limit)

I understand the law is the law and it's black and white but I think they (LEO) need to differentiate between spirited driving and unsafe and reckless driving.

To me, giving someone a ticket for running 5 mph over the limit when the entire area advertises "313 curves in 11 miles" is kind of silly.

What do the officers expect? people to come from all over the country and drive 35mph...

My .02 and like my friends say.... worth every penny.

Mark

Old 05-04-2008, 06:09 PM
Thumper460
4th Gear
... the shops and small businesses are for the Dragon!! I feel as long as it WASNT a BIG deal... the cops would have not even cared!! HOWEVER, we ( the drivers) were in error!! and we all know that... I expect a freaking ticket every time in on the boost and over the speed limit!! and every time I dont get hammered.. I just say thanks!! but to think the LAW of OUR land is to over look the spirited drivers.. in wrong!! yes?? I think we lost two cars this year??

Just me.............................

Thumper

Old 05-04-2008, 06:22 PM
lilruffcat
6th Gear
I'm going to add my two cents.. because this involves midnight on the Dragon..
First someone said.. that EVERYONE that travels to the Dragon is there for more than a scenic drive. (otherwise they need to be on the Blueridge parkway)
Uh.. I go and travel the dragon, for the scenery, the opportunity to work on my driving skills.. I DO NOT! repeat DO NOT go to the Dragon to drive in some of the nonsense that I dealt with last night on the Dragon. It was the worst part of the whole weekend for me. On the way down last night in the rain, my club stayed together. Seeing a line of mini's come up behind us , we attempted to get over.. to the person, who could not give us time to get off the road.. who decided to buzz us on the left.. Dude, I wish the cops had stopped you and completely wish you had gotten a ticket..
and to the person who was behind me, as I was getting ready to turn left into the campground.. oh i seriously wished you had gotten a ticket. Swerving back and forth, flashing your lights and putting your fourways on, really impressed me. You truly accomplished nothing more then, sidetracking me, wondering what the hell the problem was, worrying because there was no where for me to pull over. You in your own right .. deserved a ticket.

Sorry about the o.p. getting a ticket.. I have four rally lights on the front of my car, and had turned them off, as there were people in front of me. The cabrio with the blinkie lights looked very cool.

The owner of the store right before the hellbender, even mentioned that this year, the midnight on the dragon was awful. It wasn't cohesive.. the speeders made noise, chirped tires.. and took off like bats out of hell.. it is sad, that a few out there who truly deserved the tickets didn't get them.

Old 05-04-2008, 06:40 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Thumper460
... the shops and small businesses are for the Dragon!! I feel as long as it WASNT a BIG deal... the cops would have not even cared!! HOWEVER, we ( the drivers) were in error!! and we all know that... I expect a freaking ticket every time in on the boost and over the speed limit!! and every time I dont get hammered.. I just say thanks!! but to think the LAW of OUR land is to over look the spirited drivers.. in wrong!! yes?? I think we lost two cars this year??

Just me.............................

Thumper
So if you were doing 40 on the dragon and got a ticket, though you were in the wrong, you don't think that would be a little frivilous?

I understand what you're saying... right is right and illegal is illegal. Not everything in this world needs to be black and white. A little compassion, a little understanding and a little slack for minor infractions would make things go a lot smoother.

If you think it's okay to get a ticket for 5 mph, then you'd make for one of those cops that would give their own mother a ticket.

Mark

Old 05-04-2008, 06:48 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by lilruffcat
First someone said.. that EVERYONE that travels to the Dragon is there for more than a scenic drive. (otherwise they need to be on the Blueridge parkway)
Uh.. I go and travel the dragon, for the scenery, the opportunity to work on my driving skills.. I
Exactly what driving skills are you honing up on doing 35mph on the dragon? You were driving at midnight, what scenery could you possibly be looking at?

I DO NOT! repeat DO NOT go to the Dragon to drive in some of the nonsense that I dealt with last night on the Dragon.
No one was defending anyone acting ridiculous, unsafe or careless. I was merely saying people that get tickets for running 40mph on the dragon is ridiculous.

I am by no means equating a 5 mph ticket to what you experienced last night.

It was the worst part of the whole weekend for me. On the way down last night in the rain, my club stayed together. Seeing a line of mini's come up behind us , we attempted to get over.. to the person, who could not give us time to get off the road.. who decided to buzz us on the left.. Dude, I wish the cops had stopped you and completely wish you had gotten a ticket..
and to the person who was behind me, as I was getting ready to turn left into the campground.. oh i seriously wished you had gotten a ticket. Swerving back and forth, flashing your lights and putting your fourways on, really impressed me. You truly accomplished nothing more then, sidetracking me, wondering what the hell the problem was, worrying because there was no where for me to pull over. You in your own right .. deserved a ticket.
The guy you just described.... THAT'S the type of idiots I say need a ticket.

the speeders made noise, chirped tires.. and took off like bats out of hell.. it is sad, that a few out there who truly deserved the tickets didn't get them.

More idiots.... ruins everything for everyone.

Sorry you had to have the last event of the MOTD ruined by some idiots, I was just trying to differentiate between some mildly spirited driving and morons like you described.

Mark

Last edited by orangecrush; 05-04-2008 at 06:51 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The Police