The Police

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 06:02 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought the same thing... what are they going to say about BMW's with OEM halo lights.

Since halo lights are more of a "marker" lamp than headlamp, I don't see how they can really keep writing violation warnings/tickets.

Mark

Old 05-07-2008, 06:08 PM
CDMINI
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have an IDEA, why not go drive somewhere else? I can't understand why anyone even goes to that stupid place, except for the cops. I know why THEY are there, probably is pretty darn fun for them from their perspective. Another reason to go find another road, don't you think?

Old 05-07-2008, 06:29 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by CDMINI
I have an IDEA, why not go drive somewhere else? I can't understand why anyone even goes to that stupid place, except for the cops. I know why THEY are there, probably is pretty darn fun for them from their perspective. Another reason to go find another road, don't you think?

I'm not sure why you are even commenting about the Dragon. According to one of your other posts, you haven't been there since "1982". That's almost 30 years ago... we go there because it's fun. Unfortunately you have to take the good (318 curves) with the bad (excessive/badgering cops)

Therefore, I'd say you have no right/experience or value in making a judgement about going to the Dragon.

You live in the land of flat, boring roads.... where exactly do you go?

Mark

Last edited by orangecrush; 05-07-2008 at 06:32 PM.
Old 05-07-2008, 06:38 PM
wbarnhill
Coordinator :: Upstate MINIs
Because we enjoy it. Just because you don't doesn't mean everyone else has to follow suit. Thanks for the comment!

Old 05-07-2008, 06:45 PM
mmatarella
6th Gear
Uh, because in some peoples opinion (about 623 people plus the unregistered folks too) it's not stupid, it's awesome. The roads, the scenery...

You're entitled to your opinion by all means but clearly there are lots of us who still don't consider it stupid. Another roads(s) in addition would still be awesome. The more the better.

I'd be all for another late summer early fall event in the Mid Atlantic, with great roads. I'd liek the second event to have the room to have all the MINIs in one place, and more infrastructure. But part of the charm for me of MOTD is that it is way out in the sticks with the bear, dear, and ants.

Old 05-07-2008, 06:47 PM
Sanbient
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Mishka
If you had your front fog lamps on, those are still considered auxillary lights-factory/stock or not. Anything other than the headlights and front turn signals are considered auxillary lights. You can run the headlights & fogs or other lights (not and), but anything else would have been too many lights. Essentially, you can only have two pairs of lights (headlights and something else) to the front.

What I wonder about are the BMW owners who have angel eyes in their headlights. I think they come on with the parking lights and cannot be turned off. If they have their headlights on, the angel eyes will be on, and if they also use the fog lights: will they also be stopped?

Either way, it was just a warning. (I got one too.)
Thank you...That clears it up better than how the cop explained it. :D

San

Old 05-07-2008, 06:49 PM
Darkness
5th Gear
Some guy from georgia stopped to talk to us while we were on the dragon chilling. He mention some road called the snake near bristol, TN I think that has 400+ corners in 10ish miles.

I can't confirm/deny, I just had a great time speaking like him for the rest of the weekend.

Old 05-07-2008, 06:50 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mmatarella

I'd be all for another late summer early fall event in the Mid Atlantic, with great roads. I'd liek the second event to have the room to have all the MINIs in one place, and more infrastructure. But part of the charm for me of MOTD is that it is way out in the sticks with the bear, dear, and ants.
I agree... don't ya'll have some guiness book of records meet or something this summer in VA?

Originally Posted by Darkness
Some guy from georgia stopped to talk to us while we were on the dragon chilling. He mention some road called the snake near bristol, TN I think that has 400+ corners in 10ish miles.

I can't confirm/deny, I just had a great time speaking like him for the rest of the weekend.
There is a road called 181 in the same area (TN/NC) which also is a blast. One year when we went to the Dragon, we toured around and found out there are MANY local'ish roads that are just as fun with less cops.

I especially like the roads that are so sharp, they have convex mirrors at the bottom to see oncoming traffic.

Mark

Last edited by orangecrush; 05-07-2008 at 06:54 PM.
Old 05-07-2008, 06:53 PM
mielnicki
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Darkness

Yes, US Route 421

Old 05-07-2008, 07:02 PM
Mishka
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Sanbient
Thank you...That clears it up better than how the cop explained it. :D

San
No problem-glad to help.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:07 PM
mielnicki
6th Gear
Old 05-07-2008, 07:10 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
The Snake and other roads (including many near Fontana) are great - IMHO the BIGGEST allure of the Dragon is the complete absence of cross streets and driveways and little kids and pets running around near the road... it's the combination of twisty, technical driving and the relative safety of little human presence other than drivers/riders....most of these other roads don't have that feature...

Old 05-07-2008, 07:15 PM
mielnicki
6th Gear
Originally Posted by BlimeyCabrio
IMHO the BIGGEST allure of the Dragon is the complete absence of cross streets and driveways

Old 05-07-2008, 07:57 PM
RockyMC40
3rd Gear
I couldent believe that they pulled people over for too many lights, I thought this was a bit of a stretch. Me and a couple other people decided to watch vs drive. I saw some questionable things going on. All I really have to say is drive within your limits. A dark twisty mountain road is not the place to find out where the limit is. Overall it looked pretty damn fun.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:04 AM
Mol
2nd Gear
Hmmmm... sorry, you are missing out on a very special place.
You need to read this:
http://mollybunton.com/my-articles/t...is-the-dragon/

Old 05-08-2008, 08:13 AM
mistro
6th Gear
Could the MINI Cabrio with the Christmas Lights post and tell if they got a ticket, warning etc? My inverter failed so my Christmas Lights were out and we stayed at Tapoco so we never went back to Fontana. Would like to know if the LEOs were issuing violations about the Christmas Lights though. Thanks.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:24 AM
mistro
6th Gear
Could the MINI Cabrio with the Christmas Lights post and tell if they got a ticket, warning etc? My inverter failed so my Christmas Lights were out and we stayed at Tapoco so we never went back to Fontana. Would like to know if the LEOs were issuing violations about the Christmas Lights though. Thanks.

Old 05-08-2008, 11:18 AM
vargasgal
5th Gear
I would like to know also. I would hate to not be as lucky with my lights next time around.

Old 05-08-2008, 01:46 PM
CDMINI
5th Gear
So all the beautiful roads in NC and N. Georgia, and all the motor enthusiasts go spend all day and nite running up and down the same one road where the police all hang out, it just doesn't make much sense to me??? Who doesn't think they will probably get a ticket, but no one's driving dangerously right?

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...?t=138309:lol:

By the way I said, the road was a stupid one, not the people, it hasn't changed since 1982, it has A NAME and just more squids leaving more body parts and LOTS more COPS!

Last edited by CDMINI; 05-08-2008 at 05:53 PM.
Old 05-08-2008, 01:58 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Who farted?

Old 05-08-2008, 02:00 PM
rlnewby
2nd Gear
FEED NOT THE TROLLS LEAST THEY MULTIPLY

Old 05-08-2008, 02:36 PM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
So all the beautiful roads in NC and N. Georgia, and all the motor enthusiasts go spend all day and nite running up and down the same one road where the police all hang out, just don't make much sense to me??? Who doesn't think they will probably get a ticket, but no ones driving dangerously right? https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...?t=138309:lol:

By the way I said, the road was a stupid one, not the people, it hasn't changed since 1982, it has A NAME and just more squids leaving more body parts and LOTS more COPS!

Old 05-08-2008, 02:43 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by OXYBLUECOOP

Hey oxy, my bodyshop is in Indian Trail, I live in Mint Hill. Next time you do something around town, lemme know.

Mark

Old 05-08-2008, 02:48 PM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Will do!

Old 05-08-2008, 03:15 PM
nucknfuts
1st Gear
Originally Posted by OXYBLUECOOP
OMG you guys are way to funny bustin a gut here.

Sky

"Don't let your bulldog mouth get your chihuahua butt in trouble"

Quick Reply: The Police