The Police

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 07:03 PM
Sarcux
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As the co-organizer of this year's midnight run, and someone that has been to the dragon 11 times, I've seen (and done) a lot of a$$hattery over my past 5 years of Dragoning.

While it is considered one of the unofficial "rules" of the road to pull over to allow faster traffic to pass, it is also the responsibility of said faster traffic to let the other person move as far off the road as possible before going around them.

For instance, this year I and two other Minis came buzzing up quickly upon a blue cabrio with a few cars behind it on my return trip from the midnight run. I just radioed asking for the blue cabrio to let the faster traffic go by (and flashed my lights a few times, in case they didn't have a radio). The cabrio pulled over about 1/4 mile later once it came to a big enough pull-off, and we continued on our way.

But keep one thing in mind. While speeding on the Dragon is illegal, remember that a good 50% or more of the people that come to the dragon every year are there to run it fast. There is an entire little micro-industry in the Graham County, NC area that revolves around the Dragon and speed. Having folks wanting to run fast, and others slow can cause some issues... and some accidents.

My best suggestion to you would be to enjoy some of the other roads in the area where drivers tend to move at a more relaxed pace... the Cherahola Skyway is absolutely gorgeous, and has fun, sweepy corners with a 50 mph speed limit in NC and 40 in TN.

The Dragon and the Hellbender are named so for a reason. Expect drivers and riders to be aggressive. The safest thing you can do if you are a slower driver on one of these roads is to pull over and let the fast traffic by - purposefully driving slow in front of them will only cause road rage, then the inevitable passing, which is DEADLY on the Dragon.

Old 05-04-2008, 07:10 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I completely agree. While I respect the fact that speeding is illegal, it's a fact that the majority of drivers that come to the dragon are going there to be aggressive and push their driving ability past the usual doldrum of driving on the straight, flat roads such as in Fla.

If anyone feels they should only drive 35, like Sarcux said, there are many excellent, beautiful roads that are great for a leisurely drive. (however, I always thought the Cherohola Skyway had some great 100-120mph sweepers )

Old 05-04-2008, 07:40 PM
cocasteve
1st Gear
Cops, Fontana, lights, 2 am. Dude! Although, after talking with my wife - who has been in law enforcement for years - she thinks the cops used the lights to pull people over to check for DUI's. And something I have to get off my chest - if you do want to cruise on the Dragon - go at the end of the line = don't go in the top half and then complain someone rides you! There, I feel better.

Last edited by cocasteve; 05-04-2008 at 07:54 PM.
Old 05-04-2008, 08:24 PM
wbarnhill
Coordinator :: Upstate MINIs
Originally Posted by Sarcux
As the co-organizer of this year's midnight run, and someone that has been to the dragon 11 times, I've seen (and done) a lot of a$$hattery over my past 5 years of Dragoning.

While it is considered one of the unofficial "rules" of the road to pull over to allow faster traffic to pass, it is also the responsibility of said faster traffic to let the other person move as far off the road as possible before going around them.

For instance, this year I and two other Minis came buzzing up quickly upon a blue cabrio with a few cars behind it on my return trip from the midnight run. I just radioed asking for the blue cabrio to let the faster traffic go by (and flashed my lights a few times, in case they didn't have a radio). The cabrio pulled over about 1/4 mile later once it came to a big enough pull-off, and we continued on our way.

But keep one thing in mind. While speeding on the Dragon is illegal, remember that a good 50% or more of the people that come to the dragon every year are there to run it fast. There is an entire little micro-industry in the Graham County, NC area that revolves around the Dragon and speed. Having folks wanting to run fast, and others slow can cause some issues... and some accidents.

My best suggestion to you would be to enjoy some of the other roads in the area where drivers tend to move at a more relaxed pace... the Cherahola Skyway is absolutely gorgeous, and has fun, sweepy corners with a 50 mph speed limit in NC and 40 in TN.

The Dragon and the Hellbender are named so for a reason. Expect drivers and riders to be aggressive. The safest thing you can do if you are a slower driver on one of these roads is to pull over and let the fast traffic by - purposefully driving slow in front of them will only cause road rage, then the inevitable passing, which is DEADLY on the Dragon.
While I will agree that slower drivers should pull off the road and let the faster drivers pass (when it is safe for them to do so), I'm going to have to disagree about slower drivers finding other roads. A key thing to remember is that the Dragon is not our private race track. It is a public highway used by more folks than just we motorers.

In the end, if someone wants to drive the Dragon at the speed limit, guess what, it's perfectly acceptable. Riding someone's bumper and flashing headlights is nothing more than begging for an accident.

Last edited by wbarnhill; 05-04-2008 at 08:26 PM.
Old 05-04-2008, 08:32 PM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wbarnhill
While I will agree that slower drivers should pull off the road and let the faster drivers pass (when it is safe for them to do so), I'm going to have to disagree about slower drivers finding other roads. A key thing to remember is that the Dragon is not our private race track. It is a public highway used by more folks than just we motorers.
Yeah, I gotta agree with this. In no way is it appropriate to assume that one reason for being there (a speedy, thrilling ride) is "more important" than another (a nice cruise).

Old 05-05-2008, 06:03 AM
lilruffcat
6th Gear
I was talking about during the day. As far as driving skills. I went up WAY early in the morning. The people that I rode with would wake up early, and we were on the Dragon around 730 am. We did that so that we were not in anyone's way. I learned how to handle the car through the curves, to relax and be a bit more aggressive in my driving. I wasn't "honing" my skills at midnight. In fact prior to going up at midnight I felt better about driving it in the dark, with what I had learned that day.
As far as if someone wants to drive the dragon at 30-35 they should find another road.. I completely disagree with this. Just as you have the choice to take the Dragon faster then some, I have the choice to drive 30-35. Someone who may be completely comfortable taking the Dragon at faster speeds, doesn't have the right to have the deciding factor, that I will go as fast or use another road. I was courteous, and would move out of the way anytime someone came behind me. On the Dragon trying to move over in the dark and the rain, only to be buzzed on the left was crazy.
The obvious decision is, that I won't run the Dragon at midnight ever again. I'll get up early in the morning, and take a beautiful sunrise drive.

Old 05-05-2008, 06:08 AM
mmatarella
6th Gear
Yes, there are locals that use Rt 129 and they may have a car full of kids etc. It's not a track and we need to respect that fact. Sometimes I'm the quicker car, sometimes the slower. When I'm the quicker, if the slower car ahead doesn't pull into the pull off to let me by, I pull off there instead and just wait a bit for a good gap. There's no prize that I'm aware of for lowest E.T. for the end to end run.

As to the police enforcement potentially ruining the income for area business... I wonder if the countless emergency service calls made to Rt 129 in particular (year round, not from MOTD) likely outweigh the additional income to the community. I mean, I know of four accidents just this week with 1 fatality and that might not be all. Keep in mind some of these calls (often for bikers) involve paramedic runs and the occasional life flight.

The Dragon is I think becoming a victim of it's own success. More popular. Bigger crowd. Bigger chance of having a few people behaving like you describe on the Midnight run.

Old 05-05-2008, 06:10 AM
DixonL2
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In no way is it appropriate to assume that one reason for being there (a speedy, thrilling ride) is "more important" than another (a nice cruise)
Hear hear. Courtesy, however, should also be in the mix. Dangerous tomfoolery and allowing frustration to ruin your (and possibly someone else's) day are out.

(Did I just say "tomfoolery"? Sheesh, that 575 mile drive home must've really gotten to me! GREAT time though. Got in a nice spirited drive on the dragon - hanging with a Clubman S - and I had the trailer on!)

Last edited by DixonL2; 05-05-2008 at 07:55 AM.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:43 AM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Just to clarify myself. I by no means have any problem with anyone driving 35 on the dragon. That's the speed limit and though I don't personally adhere to it, I don't get upset if someone is doing it. I don't flash my lights, I don't "push" them to get out of the way, I simply hope out of courtesy that they will pull over if and when they get a chance.

My personal reference of that a slower driver may want to try another road was not because of me but more because they will find some people that think it's a dragway and will be more beligerent in their effort to get around them. It's a public road and if they want to use it, so be it.

For me, it's much like riding bikes, give respect, get respect.

My whole ***** has NOTHING to do with who drives on the dragon or how fast (or slow) they go.... it was all about getting a ticket for running 5mph over the limit. Though legal, it's ridiculous and frivilous.

Mark

Old 05-05-2008, 09:56 AM
eatonjb
1st Gear
I read the posts, and I will make a few comments.

1st.. I understand the lights issue in the rule books, but lets face it, it's dark, and I know for a fact that Jeremy turns his lights off whenever there is a car coming.

second, yes.. speeding is not right, and people do get hurt from speeding, but i think more accidents come from carelessness , like crossing the lines, not paying attention ect.

when I am on the dragon, I can't even have the radio on... too much to deal with.

the cops.. i have a theory about the light thing. I think he was giving warnings as a "protest" to giving out tix that cost $$$.. but this is my theory.

anyways.. I know that Jeremy was not speeding , and I thought that I got busted cause he hit me with the lights. but for what.. and then the rumors of 6 more cars inside the Village..

thats just weird!!!

Eaton

Old 05-05-2008, 11:07 AM
bamatt
6th Gear
The one year I did the midnight run I tried to get in the back of the pack yet somehow I got pushed to pull out midpack. The thought of expecting someone to pull over during the midnight run, in the pitch black darkness while someone is riding their butt & making them nervous just cracks me up. I mean you are trying to go faster to get the idiot off your butt & as soon as you see a pulloff & try to analyze if it is one that is safe or will bottom out your MINI you have missed it. I did midnight run once & swore never again. I think all you midnight people who like to fly through it just need to slow down & enjoy it. Flame me if you will but the speed some take the midnight run at is ridiculous.

I greatly missed seeing everyone but I didn't even go to the dragon this year partly because of inflation & my budget but largely because of how unfun/unsafe the roads were made by all the speed demons & racedriver wannabes day & night at the past 2 MOTDs I attended

Old 05-05-2008, 11:11 AM
rafthos
3rd Gear
This was my 6th MoTD. The more people who attend the more chance for a moron. A couple of years ago there was a guy passing on blind curves. No warning or light flashing, he just took the inside and zoomed. He had real ugly blingy wheels. He got kicked out of his club (so I heard) and he hasn't been back since. There is always someone who has the attitude that the road was built for them and you are tresspassing. I drive the road at around 35 when I'm with my wife, considerably faster when I'm alone. I do feel 5 mph citations are a waste of taxpayer money. Get a lawyer and it will be reduced to improper equiptment or some such. If I do choose to run the dragon, hypothetically, at an average speed of 62 mph and I get caught I will not whine. I did it and I'll get a lawyer and do the pay and pray routine. If I got a ticket for 5 mph I would also be ticked off and then get a lawyer. I have never tried to bully drivers in front of me for being slow. I do get angry, but I just pull off and let them get "on down the road." Its a good opportunity for some dragon photography. Just always remember none of us are true dragon experts. We don't drive or ride the road every weekend like some of those guys and gals.

Old 05-05-2008, 11:30 AM
Mol
2nd Gear
The TN LEO crackdown started on the Dragon last year; they got special funding for it. I have seen 12 Staties on the Gap in one day last summer, along with a trailer to haul vehicles away. They were ticketing for going even 2 miles over the limit, having a crocked license plate, touching the yellow lines.... They are really much better this year about harassing people. Be polite and respectful, and happy if you just get a warning.

The white car Counties are cool as long as you don't act like an idiot.

It is illegal to burn more than four lights at one time in TN.

I have paid my share of "fun tax".... it's just what happens sometimes...

Old 05-05-2008, 11:52 AM
StLouieLo
6th Gear
Guess what, we drove the Dragon at 35 on Sunday morning. You know why? We had a MINI full of luggage & our precious cargo (our 2 pups). It was the way home for us. So you never know the circumstances of the car in front of you. Yes, I agree to pull over if someone wants to pass. But don't ride my behind until I find a spot to do so.

Mark & I do not partake in Midnight on the Dragon For all the reasons that have been previously mentioned

Lois

Old 05-05-2008, 12:10 PM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Re: lights...

While almost all MINI drivers I've seenon the Dragon turn off their driving lights when faced with oncoming traffic. not all do. Both this year and last, I experienced the glare of 4 high-powered driving lights in the face, and it is very disorienting. In one case (I won't name names or describe the car), someone running 4 low-slung lamps alongside what had to be high beams totally dazzled me on Rt.28 about 2 miles from the Fontana. They did not dim the lights as I passed as they roared past me at what had to be 90 MPH.

I totally get that you can't always spare the attention to dip your beams, especially if driving hell bent for leather - I'm just saying that the law about excessive lighting is probably a good one, from the perspective of someone that's been blinded by them. Sorry it happened to you, though - I was worried when I saw you pulled over that they busted you for speed.

For what it's worth, I didn't find the police presence restrictive. I do have to say that the most diabolical speed trap I saw though was the one at the north end of the Dragon, just after you get out of the twisties and onto the flat area past the gravel parking area - human nature is to roll on throttle since you're off the deadly curves, and the 5-0 had stationed themselves just past the first sweeping curve, right where one woulld be really piling on the MPH... Crafty!

Last edited by ImagoX; 05-05-2008 at 12:13 PM.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:17 PM
Mol
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ImagoX
Re: lights...
For what it's worth, I didn't find the police presence restrictive. I do have to say that the most diabolical speed trap I saw though was the one at the north end of the Dragon, just after you get out of the twisties and onto the flat area past the gravel parking area - human nature is to roll on throttle since you're off the deadly curves, and the 5-0 had stationed themselves just past the first sweeping curve, right where one woulld be really piling on the MPH... Crafty!
There is almost alway a Countiy sitting down on the water. It's hard to remember, but the speed limit there is 40. You should always slow down before you reach Tabcat bridge (going north)

Old 05-05-2008, 12:29 PM
Mol
2nd Gear
I do not particularly like driving at night, but join the other regulars on occasion for late night runs of the Gap. Some of us have lights we can install to run at night and remove after running. We all turn up our headlight so as not to blind people in front of us, but also you have to be ready to turn off your brights if traffic is coming the other way. You can tell someone is coming because you can see their headlights coming. You need to be respectful.

Warning tickets cost nothing to $10.... it's a way to get you thinking about what you are doing. Your next tickets gonna be more like $150.

We actually like the Counties up on the Gap... it's nicer to have a immediate response to a bad wreck as opposed to waiting 45 minutes for a response.

A good way to keep updated as to LEO presents on teh Gap (Dragon) is to read Ben's daily blog HERE

Last edited by Mol; 05-05-2008 at 12:37 PM.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:37 PM
Deviant
5th Gear
I found during the midnight run I never had enough warning for the few oncoming cars to get down to the highbeam switch and so after not dimming the lights in time for the second car just ran with the low beams and foglights on, I was using the lights of the car ahead of me to really see what was going on down the road.

Old 05-05-2008, 12:39 PM
Mol
2nd Gear
Yes, I can understand that, that is what is nice about running in the winter.... you can see through the trees so much better.

Old 05-05-2008, 12:43 PM
Sarcux
6th Gear
My quad lights are wired directly to my high beams, so switching them off is quick and easy. People who leave them on with oncoming traffic should be smacked, as they are insanely bright.

Old 05-05-2008, 04:34 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I had NO problems with LEOs all weekend... and drove about 500 miles in the Fontana area...

Jeremy - saw you get pulled and am REALLY glad to hear the outcome. Said out loud, "Man, that SUX!" when I saw you pulled over. Personally, I would be kissing da man's butt if all he did was write me a warning ticket for lights... but when I was your age, I'm confident I woulda felt like you feel.

But I would WAAAAAY rather have a warning ticket for lights, than a $600 speeding / reckless ticket... and, while you weren't driving in a manner to earn one when you passed those cops, I suspect that, like - eh - some of us, you might theoretically have "earned" your share of those over the weekend (note: in NC, you don't have to drive "recklessly" to be legally reckless.... in NC traffic law, "very fast" = "reckless"... which is stupid). And I'm glad they didn't award me one of those prizes.

As for all the other stuff... everyone has a right to drive the Dragon. They also should show the same courtesy to other drivers that they would expect to receive themselves. And that means, if you're holding up faster driver, let them by when it's safe to do so. And if you're the faster driver, don't be rude, obnoxious, or dangerous in your haste to quench your adrenaline thirst.

Last edited by BlimeyCabrio; 05-05-2008 at 05:31 PM.
Old 05-05-2008, 06:36 PM
SHRTSTAK
4th Gear
I got a 46 in a 30 ticket on Wednesday right before the Overlook. It was a county heading down as I was headed up. I heard a few people other than I got warnings. I wasn't being an idiot though, just driving fast. By no means will I say that I shouldn't have gotten the ticket, but a warning would have been nice.

Damn New York plates

Old 05-05-2008, 06:50 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by SHRTSTAK
I got a 46 in a 30 ticket on Wednesday right before the Overlook. It was a county heading down as I was headed up. I heard a few people other than I got warnings. I wasn't being an idiot though, just driving fast. By no means will I say that I shouldn't have gotten the ticket, but a warning would have been nice.

Damn New York plates
Though deserved, that still sucks. No one likes getting a ticket. The sad part is 45 is a great speed to run through the dragon without being crazy, it's a comfortable speed.... like I said, I can remember when the speed limit was 55 which I thought was too fast going through the dragon.

Oh well, play and ya gotta pay. At least ya got to run through the dragon... a memory worth the ticket.

Mark

Old 05-07-2008, 04:54 PM
Sanbient
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Sarcux
They busted one guy for having his "halo" lights, and I hear the cabrio that was covered with blinking lights got nabbed too.
That was me. I was staying in the cabin near you and they pulled me over just as I parked. :( On the warning, it said "Light violation." But now after reading that quote above (and found here http://www.ncleg.net/enactedlegislat...gs_20-130.html ) , I don't think I was violating it at all. I only have two auxillary lights mounted on my bonnet. Everything else is in stock position. Oh well...At least it was only a warning. :D

San

Old 05-07-2008, 05:17 PM
Mishka
6th Gear
If you had your front fog lamps on, those are still considered auxillary lights-factory/stock or not. Anything other than the headlights and front turn signals are considered auxillary lights. You can run the headlights & fogs or other lights (not and), but anything else would have been too many lights. Essentially, you can only have two pairs of lights (headlights and something else) to the front.

What I wonder about are the BMW owners who have angel eyes in their headlights. I think they come on with the parking lights and cannot be turned off. If they have their headlights on, the angel eyes will be on, and if they also use the fog lights: will they also be stopped?

Either way, it was just a warning. (I got one too.)

Last edited by Mishka; 05-07-2008 at 05:33 PM.

Quick Reply: The Police