MOTD 1st Annual MINI Show

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 05:31 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnMonk
Sorry you missed it Misfit. You could have given Nate and Dope some competition in the "mad Modded" class. I was 2nd for modded S thanks to the all mighty coin toss.
Congrats wetceal!
Originally Posted by DOPAMINE
looks like your gonna need some more room to post that plaque up mango.

yeah....thats sids plaque im holding for sure.
LOL you guys are too kind...I'd be intimitated going up against you two in a showdown....Congrats on the well deserved wins guys!!!!

Old 05-06-2008, 09:34 AM
Darth_Cooper
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grats to all that won! Great looking cars out there!

Old 05-06-2008, 10:46 AM
DOPAMINE
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MSFITOY
LOL you guys are too kind...I'd be intimitated going up against you two in a showdown....Congrats on the well deserved wins guys!!!!

if i was at the award "ceremony" i would have said i was accepting this award on behalf of MSFITOY for sure. i mean, your Mini is the reason my Mini looks like it does. in fact, there is a good chance i would have cheese vinyl and rubber ducky center cap stickers if i didnt come across your beauty first j/k.
ill say not seeing your Mini there was a let down though.

Old 05-06-2008, 11:42 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
if i was at the award "ceremony" i would have said i was accepting this award on behalf of MSFITOY for sure. i mean, your Mini is the reason my Mini looks like it does. in fact, there is a good chance i would have cheese vinyl and rubber ducky center cap stickers if i didnt come across your beauty first j/k.
ill say not seeing your Mini there was a let down though.
If all goes well...the next time we show up, Msfitoy will have a one off wide body... Too busy working on another big project right now...can you say SEMA?

Old 05-06-2008, 01:22 PM
DOPAMINE
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MSFITOY
If all goes well...the next time we show up, Msfitoy will have a one off wide body... Too busy working on another big project right now...can you say SEMA?
nice!!! looking foward to seeing it (wide body)....hopefully, mine looks as good as yours.

SEMA....nice. please do share when you can.

Old 05-06-2008, 01:31 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
nice!!! looking foward to seeing it (wide body)....hopefully, mine looks as good as yours.

SEMA....nice. please do share when you can.
The widebody (when completed) will be full fenders/full hood/front-rear redress...

If you go to SEMA this year, look for something dressed in Nassau Blue...hint...it's not a Mini...

Old 05-07-2008, 09:13 AM
motoringchix
Former Vendor
Just wanted to send out a big THANKS to the committee of folks who organized the show. The trophies are super nice and I appreciate the willingness to listen to everyone's input for future shows.

Old 05-15-2008, 09:46 AM
agranger
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by motoringchix
Just wanted to send out a big THANKS to the committee of folks who organized the show. The trophies are super nice and I appreciate the willingness to listen to everyone's input for future shows.
Ditto on that!

The show was definately a highlight of MOTD for me. My thanks to everyone who made this happen and thank you to all the passers-by for the kind comments about Jango. The competition out there was stiff!

I'm looking at my 2-year mod plan now ( ) to prep for the MOTD 2010 show! If I keep putting cash into the car like I have since I last went to MOTD in 2006, I might not be able to afford gas to get there!

Is there going to be a final posting of scores so we can see where we stood against the field?

Old 05-15-2008, 12:06 PM
JohnMonk
Coordinator :: Nashville–Middle Tennessee MINI Club
I entered in a show the weekend after the Dragon and won first. I wish I had more time to show, this is fun.

Old 05-15-2008, 02:35 PM
Darkness
5th Gear
It's addicting. I've already got 12 lined up for this summer.

I wish my car could have been at the motd show

Old 05-15-2008, 03:12 PM
Deviant
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Next year......

Old 05-15-2008, 03:23 PM
Darkness
5th Gear
Next year we'll have to have a MC mad-modder for me!

Old 05-15-2008, 03:36 PM
ozarkroots
Coordinator :: Mini's of the Ozark Region
Posting scores?

This post is ment to respond first to the question about
posting scores but then proceeds into a response to some other issues.

Will the scores from the MOTD car show be posted? Short answer. NO
One reason is the post that comes a little before this one.

As I said at the drivers meeting before the judging, score sheets would not be available
because we did not want to have people arguing over a one point spread.
The score sheets were destroyed after the tally was taken. We had hoped that people
would accept the decisions gracefully and let it go at that. So much for wishfull thinking!!

Now the long answer.
At the very start of the organizing process it was determined that this show
was NOT a professional level event and I think we proved that. (Take that however you like.) As the prime organizer
of the event I take responsibility for the general look and feel of the show but with a lot of input from the committee.
I know that people are always curious about just where they came out but I decided to just be happy for those who
won and let it be, Obviusly some are not content with that. I know how Mark feels to some extent.
I did the best I could with no experience in doing car shows. Perhaps I will do a better job next year unless someone
else wants to do it.
Some things that will probably change next year
(1) Time of day
(2) Better pre-registration
(3) different judging structure
( Possible different type of award although I thought the awards were both nice and different..
The total cost for the appx 10 awards this year was $525. They were not cheap.
(4) Different award presentation schedule.

I would be happy to entertain any reasonable suggestions and comments
ozarkroots

Last edited by ozarkroots; 05-15-2008 at 03:40 PM.
Old 05-16-2008, 06:40 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I was VERY happy with the show, and thought it went well for a first time event... and understanding this unique challenges of such a type of show....

If I had organized it, there's not I would have done differently this year with the prior knowledge that I had... but there are a few things I would do differently next year...

I'd look at the categories, and consider if they're the RIGHT ones... in the mod and madmod classes, I think there should be separate judging and awards for aesthetic vs. performance oriented cars... and overall impression should be judged by either a panel of 3-4 judges with varying tastes in cars, or by people's choice voting. This would help overcome one of the biggest challenges of an exclusively MINI show... that there are as many different tastes as there are MINI owners... but a single "overall impression" judge is limited to one individual's taste...

All that said, I'm NOT complaining - I loved the show. And was happy with my result (which was SQUAT - exactly what I expected going in).

Old 05-16-2008, 08:35 AM
agranger
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by BlimeyCabrio
I'd look at the categories, and consider if they're the RIGHT ones... in the mod and madmod classes, I think there should be separate judging and awards for aesthetic vs. performance oriented cars...
I hadn't thought about it before the event, but a lot of the mods on the scorecard were performance based... additional points for a pulley or a tune... control arms, sway bar or under-car brace? Sure... It makes a big difference in the way the car drives, but really isn't noticeable to the judges. There were a few cars in the modded MCS class that, by pure aesthetic change alone, I think should have been in the mad modder category. I'm sure that they entered all their mods into the sheet honestly and came out with a number in the modded MCS class, but some of 'em seemed more than just 'modded' based on what was judgeable.

Originally Posted by BlimeyCabrio
overall impression should be judged by either a panel of 3-4 judges with varying tastes in cars, or by people's choice voting. This would help overcome one of the biggest challenges of an exclusively MINI show... that there are as many different tastes as there are MINI owners... but a single "overall impression" judge is limited to one individual's taste...
I'll agree here as well. I understand that my mod plan isn't for everyone and that's OK with me... we all have our own likes and dislikes. I saw several MINIs in the competition that didn't receive good overall impression scores but were thoughtfully modded with a common theme and were well executed. I would have expected better scores for some of 'em and lower scores for some of 'em, but I realize that I've got a different MINI design aesthetic than most. A judging team for this component might be a better idea, as might a scale or statement of what constitutes a good overall impression (which may have been done for this show and I just wasn't involved enough to know). It's kinda like judging a dog show... I can't judge a terrier against a poodle because the terrier will always win due to my preferences. You can, however, judge the terrier against a standard of a good terrier and a poodle against the standard of a good poodle and figure out which dog was more like the standard. Again, this might have been done and I just missed it... I'm not even sure how to make it happen in the MINI car show world... I'm just mentioning it so that brighter and more dedicated minds than mine might mull it over.

I appreciated getting the chance to talk briefly with the interior and exterior finish judges. I never saw the judging for engine bay (I might have been changing the CO2 tank for the horn ) or the overall impression. A lot of the mods on my MINI are very low-key. If I hadn't caught the interior judge, given my quick tour and then walked away to let him do his work, he would have missed several of the original mods that took me the most time to execute... because they were designed to be low-key or hidden from sight. Perhaps this could be built into the standard judging process... A simple 'what have you done?" question from the interior/engine judges or a "Did you have an overall design philosophy?" question from the overall judge(s). The owner would have a 20-30 seconds to respond and then they would leave the judge to do their work.

I've got to say that this was an excellent event and I enjoyed it very much. I had a great time shining up the car that morning and chatting everyone up who walked by. It was a great way to see some very original mods and collect some excellent ideas for future work of my own. I was initially disappointed in one of my scores, but it rolled off me fairly quickly. The real point of this event wasn't the judging, in the big picture of things... it was a good excuse to get a bunch of like-minded nuts together to socialize and appreciate the hard work and beauty of the objects of our affection. I only wish I had cleared out the memory card on my camera before the event!

Thank you to everyone who helped to make this event happen!

Hey... just a thought... Could we at least see photos and categories for the winners? I found out about a few of the winners, but I'd love to know the final result! I can help with photo formatting and hosting if someone will send me pics and names!

Last edited by agranger; 05-16-2008 at 08:48 AM.
Old 05-16-2008, 08:43 AM
joshamman
4th Gear
I think it would be fun to have category winners too.
Recognition for the best interior, and the best engine bay, etc. Obviously the cars that won their classes probably will be near the top of these, but it would be more to answer curiosity.

Was it just my imagination, but was there a 3rd place for stockers, but not for the modders?

I agree with all the posts above tho, I had a blast and relished the chance to show off my Mini.

Old 05-16-2008, 08:54 AM
Big Daddy
5th Gear
Originally Posted by jeffc
Here are a few pictures.

hey! I just saw this pic and noticed my poor, beat-up MINI in the middle of all those awesome cars. I just want to say how much I appreciate everyone's kind remarks and (not-so-) gentle prodding to enter my poor car in the car show. In the end I decided against it as I felt it would be a slap in the face to all of the other beautiful (and intact) MINIs that were entered. A big congratulations to JoMo and all of the other well-deserving winners.

Old 05-16-2008, 12:10 PM
Deviant
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Big Daddy
hey! I just saw this pic and noticed my poor, beat-up MINI in the middle of all those awesome cars. I just want to say how much I appreciate everyone's kind remarks and (not-so-) gentle prodding to enter my poor car in the car show. In the end I decided against it as I felt it would be a slap in the face to all of the other beautiful (and intact) MINIs that were entered. A big congratulations to JoMo and all of the other well-deserving winners.
When I saw your car at the dragon I was really hoping to see it at the show and even after the accident I think it would've been cool to see there, it would've gotten my vote for best of show even with the unique custom bodywork.