5th Annual MINIs on the Dragon (May 3-6, 2007) The 5th Anniversary of the largest MINI event in the nation. Ready to take your turn trying to tame the Dragon?

NMOTD

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 06:33 PM
alpha-6
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NMOTD

(Non-Mini on the Dragon )

Hello my fellow MINI/Mini enthusiasts:

As the much anticipated MOTD event makes it's way around the corner I can't help but be filled with CRAZY excitement grin: . For the past three years my family has heard me brag about how wonderful this event is- so much so that my older brother just had to find out what the pure hysteria was all about. So he has decided stay in Fontana Village with my girlfriend and I and join in all the fun- this makes this year the best ever for me considering I don't see my brother very often (he lives about 600 miles away from me). My girlfriend and I, with our luggage, will be in my EB/EB MINI so he and his girlfriend will be in his car. He drives an '06......Honda Civic Si.....I know we can all be accepting of this factor. I think he feels a little nervous about being the black sheep and doesn't know how he''s going to be viewed rolling up in his Honda. So come on my fellow MINI/Mini enthusiasts I'm counting on you all to show him what a great group of Fun Loving Enthusiats we are. Who knows we may even convince him to jump out of his Honda and into a MINI !!!

Old 04-10-2007, 06:41 PM
TheWrks
Coordinator :: Michigan MINI Motor Club
I have no problems with it My brother lives in NZ so I don't get to see him

Old 04-10-2007, 06:42 PM
JustJAY
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
He won't be the only one w/o a MINI/mini @ MOTD. MDS will be in a Lexus, but counterfeited to look like a MINI I think you need to get some bonnet(hood) stripes on your brothers Honda so he can "blend" in.

Last edited by JustJAY; 04-10-2007 at 06:53 PM. Reason: I can't spell ;)
Old 04-10-2007, 06:51 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
alpha-6... JustJAY is on the money... I strongly encourage your brother to buy some cheap (temporary) stripes and other amusing decorations to "counterfeit" his Civic... I guarantee that the laughs it generates will break the ice and make the whole situation much friendlier.

I encourage you (and him!) to check out the Counter Counterfeit Commission, which is the brilliant subtle advertising campaign that started it all.

Old 04-10-2007, 07:08 PM
ProfessorZoom
3rd Gear
Location: second star to the right and straight on 'til morning
My wife is joining the fun in her S2000. Hopefully we'll be able to get it counterfeited beforehand.

Old 04-10-2007, 07:21 PM
Pamalalala
4th Gear
We have to bring a support vehicle this year for all the MINI Monte Carlo Night prizes, t-shirts, and goody bags etc.. so I will have a different MINI - a MINI-Van!

Old 04-10-2007, 08:36 PM
SB
6th Gear
My brother plans to join me on Saturday. He'll be driving a Saturn and has mentioned the possibility of counterfeit.

Old 04-10-2007, 09:28 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I think it would be very cool for all our non-MINI driving friends at MOTD to sport some bonnet stripes and go the counterfeit route as suggested above. They can get magnetic vinyl and cut their own graphics! What a hoot!

Old 04-10-2007, 10:41 PM
BlueBonnet
6th Gear
Mini wheels fit on older Hondi. If they still do, surely someone can loan a set of wheels to your brother.

Old 04-11-2007, 03:44 AM
snooter
Mr. MOTD
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I say we tar and feather him and run him out of town , um....maybe after the Cherohala drive though

Old 04-11-2007, 04:49 AM
JustJAY
6th Gear
Instead of magnetic, you can go painters tape route. That is the blue tape, and it is not very sticky but holds well.

Old 04-11-2007, 08:50 AM
bamatt
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Pamalalala
.. so I will have a different MINI - a MINI-Van!

j/k props to you for making the sacrifice for all of us card sharks

Old 04-11-2007, 09:48 AM
alpha-6
2nd Gear
You guys are woop ****!!! I appreciate all the support!!!! I'll suggest the whole counterfeit idea to him- although he takes as much pride in his car as we do ours so actual bonnet stripes may not fly....maybe a huge magnetic sign that reads "This is NOT A MINI" LOL.....just in case people get confused......(comedic pause).....suuuuureeeee....riiiiighttttt. LOL.

Old 04-11-2007, 09:54 AM
bamatt
6th Gear
He doesn't have to do actual decal bonnet stripes alpha, he can get a magnetic sheet from a sign shop & cut out stipes & put them on the hood

Old 04-11-2007, 10:02 AM
alpha-6
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by bamatt
He doesn't have to do actual decal bonnet stripes alpha, he can get a magnetic sheet from a sign shop & cut out stipes & put them on the hood
Ohhhh I just thought of an idea....maybe get that same sheet and cut lightning bolts out from it and strap it to the hood- HAMMER & COOP like!!!!

Old 04-11-2007, 10:04 AM
bamatt
6th Gear
Originally Posted by alpha-6
Ohhhh I just thought of an idea....maybe get that same sheet and cut lightning bolts out from it and strap it to the hood- HAMMER & COOP like!!!!
That would be really funny but you'd have to get some big sheeting

Old 04-11-2007, 10:05 AM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Originally Posted by bamatt
Exactly - the bonnet stripes don't have to be permanent or hard to remove. JustJAY above suggested painter's tape... which is specifically designed to be easy to remove without damaging the paint underneath. That would be an easy option.

One of the regular attendees at MOTD each year is Richard Lin (OctaneGuy). He comes from California, but decides it is too far to drive... so he flies in to NC (I think... might be TN) and rents a car - which is never a MINI, of course... so what does he do? He turns the rental car into a Counterfeit MINI! All planned ahead of time - he packs the stuff to do it. It's hilarious... and after MOTD is over, it is very easy for him to remove all of the counterfeit stuff before returning the car.

So you see, your brother doesn't have to do anything permanent or damaging in order to join in the fun.

Old 04-11-2007, 10:12 AM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Be careful though. . . .make him put bonnet stripes on his Honda and he'll make you add a gigantic airplane wing on the back of your MINI when he invites you to a Honda gathering. . . .

Old 04-11-2007, 10:17 AM
alpha-6
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Yucca Patrol
Be careful though. . . .make him put bonnet stripes on his Honda and he'll make you add a gigantic airplane wing on the back of your MINI when he invites you to a Honda gathering. . . .
Ouch!!!...not sure those wings would even fit (Could you imagine??!?!)

I'll have to dig up some painters tape...I know I have some of that stored somewhere.........

Old 04-11-2007, 10:24 AM
mmatarella
6th Gear
My MINI was in the body shop last year, so had to bring my counterfeit Traveler. Had bonnet stripes, MINI logos over the ford, and a New Car window sticker showing the options this traveler had, including the V8 upgrage...

Old 04-11-2007, 02:07 PM
Trinity07
6th Gear
I bet that thing was great in the corners

Originally Posted by mmatarella
My MINI was in the body shop last year, so had to bring my counterfeit Traveler. Had bonnet stripes, MINI logos over the ford, and a New Car window sticker showing the options this traveler had, including the V8 upgrage...

Old 04-11-2007, 03:40 PM
JustJAY
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Yucca Patrol
Oh, you mean like one of these

Old 04-11-2007, 04:04 PM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
This year I will have a 2007 Cooper that I'm renting from Flex Car, so no Counterfeit this time. But I'm still thinking I might have some fun with vinyl, though. Maybe make a Counterfeit S from the Cooper? LOL.

Originally Posted by Edge
One of the regular attendees at MOTD each year is Richard Lin (OctaneGuy). He comes from California, but decides it is too far to drive... so he flies in to NC (I think... might be TN) and rents a car - which is never a MINI, of course... so what does he do? He turns the rental car into a Counterfeit MINI! All planned ahead of time - he packs the stuff to do it. It's hilarious... and after MOTD is over, it is very easy for him to remove all of the counterfeit stuff before returning the car.

So you see, your brother doesn't have to do anything permanent or damaging in order to join in the fun.

Old 04-11-2007, 04:55 PM
JustJAY
6th Gear
Hey, do we have enough Coordinators posting in this thread

Old 04-11-2007, 05:02 PM
Zyamfier
Coordinator :: Cooper Owners of Rural Nebraska (CORN)
Originally Posted by JustJAY
Hey, do we have enough Coordinators posting in this thread
Not yet.
I was thinking the Dragon Wagon could use some bonnet stripes