North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   5th Annual MINIs on the Dragon (May 3-6, 2007) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/5th-annual-minis-on-the-dragon-may-3-6-2007-176/)
-   -   NMOTD (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/5th-annual-minis-on-the-dragon-may-3-6-2007/97784-nmotd.html)

alpha-6 04-10-2007 06:33 PM

NMOTD

(Non-Mini on the Dragon :lol: )

Hello my fellow MINI/Mini enthusiasts:

As the much anticipated MOTD event makes it's way around the corner I can't help but be filled with CRAZY excitement :impatient:grin: . For the past three years my family has heard me brag about how wonderful this event is- so much so that my older brother just had to find out what the pure hysteria was all about. So he has decided stay in Fontana Village with my girlfriend and I and join in all the fun- this makes this year the best ever for me considering I don't see my brother very often (he lives about 600 miles away from me). My girlfriend and I, with our luggage, will be in my EB/EB MINI so he and his girlfriend will be in his car. He drives an '06......Honda Civic Si.....I know we can all be accepting of this factor. I think he feels a little nervous about being the black sheep and doesn't know how he''s going to be viewed rolling up in his Honda. So come on my fellow MINI/Mini enthusiasts I'm counting on you all to show him what a great group of Fun Loving Enthusiats we are. Who knows we may even convince him to jump out of his Honda and into a MINI :thumbsup: !!!

TheWrks 04-10-2007 06:41 PM

I have no problems with it :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: My brother lives in NZ so I don't get to see him :sad:

JustJAY 04-10-2007 06:42 PM

He won't be the only one w/o a MINI/mini @ MOTD. MDS will be in a Lexus, but counterfeited to look like a MINI :lol: I think you need to get some bonnet(hood) stripes on your brothers Honda so he can "blend" in. :lol::thumbsup:

Edge 04-10-2007 06:51 PM

alpha-6... JustJAY is on the money... I strongly encourage your brother to buy some cheap (temporary) stripes and other amusing decorations to "counterfeit" his Civic... I guarantee that the laughs it generates will break the ice and make the whole situation much friendlier.

I encourage you (and him!) to check out the Counter Counterfeit Commission, which is the brilliant subtle advertising campaign that started it all. :)

ProfessorZoom 04-10-2007 07:08 PM

My wife is joining the fun in her S2000. Hopefully we'll be able to get it counterfeited beforehand.

Pamalalala 04-10-2007 07:21 PM

We have to bring a support vehicle this year for all the MINI Monte Carlo Night prizes, t-shirts, and goody bags etc.. so I will have a different MINI - a MINI-Van! :grin:

SB 04-10-2007 08:36 PM

My brother plans to join me on Saturday. He'll be driving a Saturn and has mentioned the possibility of counterfeit. :thumbsup:

MINIclo 04-10-2007 09:28 PM

:grin: I think it would be very cool for all our non-MINI driving friends at MOTD to sport some bonnet stripes and go the counterfeit route as suggested above. They can get magnetic vinyl and cut their own graphics! What a hoot! :cool::thumbsup:

BlueBonnet 04-10-2007 10:41 PM

:wink: Mini wheels fit on older Hondi. If they still do, surely someone can loan a set of wheels to your brother.

snooter 04-11-2007 03:44 AM

I say we tar and feather him and run him out of town :lol: :lol: :lol: , um....maybe after the Cherohala drive though :grin:

JustJAY 04-11-2007 04:49 AM

Instead of magnetic, you can go painters tape route. That is the blue tape, and it is not very sticky but holds well. :thumbsup:

bamatt 04-11-2007 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Pamalalala (Post 1470049)
.. so I will have a different MINI - a MINI-Van! :grin:

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_6_100.gif

j/k props to you for making the sacrifice for all of us card sharks :grin:

alpha-6 04-11-2007 09:48 AM

You guys are woop arse!!! I appreciate all the support!!!! I'll suggest the whole counterfeit idea to him- although he takes as much pride in his car as we do ours so actual bonnet stripes may not fly....maybe a huge magnetic sign that reads "This is NOT A MINI" LOL.....just in case people get confused......(comedic pause).....suuuuureeeee....riiiiighttttt. LOL.:thumbsup: :lol: :lol:

bamatt 04-11-2007 09:54 AM

He doesn't have to do actual decal bonnet stripes alpha, he can get a magnetic sheet from a sign shop & cut out stipes & put them on the hood :grin:

alpha-6 04-11-2007 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by bamatt (Post 1470732)
He doesn't have to do actual decal bonnet stripes alpha, he can get a magnetic sheet from a sign shop & cut out stipes & put them on the hood :grin:

Ohhhh I just thought of an idea....maybe get that same sheet and cut lightning bolts out from it and strap it to the hood- HAMMER & COOP like!!!!:cool:

bamatt 04-11-2007 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by alpha-6 (Post 1470746)
Ohhhh I just thought of an idea....maybe get that same sheet and cut lightning bolts out from it and strap it to the hood- HAMMER & COOP like!!!!:cool:

That would be really funny but :eek: :eek: you'd have to get some big sheeting

Edge 04-11-2007 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by bamatt (Post 1470732)

Exactly - the bonnet stripes don't have to be permanent or hard to remove. JustJAY above suggested painter's tape... which is specifically designed to be easy to remove without damaging the paint underneath. That would be an easy option.

One of the regular attendees at MOTD each year is Richard Lin (OctaneGuy). He comes from California, but decides it is too far to drive... so he flies in to NC (I think... might be TN) and rents a car - which is never a MINI, of course... so what does he do? He turns the rental car into a Counterfeit MINI! All planned ahead of time - he packs the stuff to do it. It's hilarious... and after MOTD is over, it is very easy for him to remove all of the counterfeit stuff before returning the car.

So you see, your brother doesn't have to do anything permanent or damaging in order to join in the fun. :nod:

Yucca Patrol 04-11-2007 10:12 AM

Be careful though. . . .make him put bonnet stripes on his Honda and he'll make you add a gigantic airplane wing on the back of your MINI when he invites you to a Honda gathering. . . .

alpha-6 04-11-2007 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Yucca Patrol (Post 1470777)
Be careful though. . . .make him put bonnet stripes on his Honda and he'll make you add a gigantic airplane wing on the back of your MINI when he invites you to a Honda gathering. . . .

Ouch!!!...not sure those wings would even fit :eek2: :lol: :lol: :lol: (Could you imagine??!?!)

I'll have to dig up some painters tape...I know I have some of that stored somewhere.........:sly:

mmatarella 04-11-2007 10:24 AM

My MINI was in the body shop last year, so had to bring my counterfeit Traveler. Had bonnet stripes, MINI logos over the ford, and a New Car window sticker showing the options this traveler had, including the V8 upgrage... :lol:

http://www.mappage.net/cmine/albums/...a045MOTD06.jpg

Trinity07 04-11-2007 02:07 PM

I bet that thing was great in the corners :lol:

Originally Posted by mmatarella (Post 1470798)
My MINI was in the body shop last year, so had to bring my counterfeit Traveler. Had bonnet stripes, MINI logos over the ford, and a New Car window sticker showing the options this traveler had, including the V8 upgrage... :lol:

http://www.mappage.net/cmine/albums/...a045MOTD06.jpg

JustJAY 04-11-2007 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Yucca Patrol (Post 1470777)

Oh, you mean like one of these
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...F/DSC00187.jpg

OctaneGuy 04-11-2007 04:04 PM

This year I will have a 2007 Cooper that I'm renting from Flex Car, so no Counterfeit this time. But I'm still thinking I might have some fun with vinyl, though. Maybe make a Counterfeit S from the Cooper? LOL.

Originally Posted by Edge (Post 1470757)
One of the regular attendees at MOTD each year is Richard Lin (OctaneGuy). He comes from California, but decides it is too far to drive... so he flies in to NC (I think... might be TN) and rents a car - which is never a MINI, of course... so what does he do? He turns the rental car into a Counterfeit MINI! All planned ahead of time - he packs the stuff to do it. It's hilarious... and after MOTD is over, it is very easy for him to remove all of the counterfeit stuff before returning the car.

So you see, your brother doesn't have to do anything permanent or damaging in order to join in the fun. :nod:

JustJAY 04-11-2007 04:55 PM

Hey, do we have enough Coordinators posting in this thread :lol::lol::razz:

Zyamfier 04-11-2007 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by JustJAY (Post 1471524)
Hey, do we have enough Coordinators posting in this thread :lol::lol::razz:

Not yet.:lol:
I was thinking the Dragon Wagon could use some bonnet stripes