5th Annual MINIs on the Dragon (May 3-6, 2007) The 5th Anniversary of the largest MINI event in the nation. Ready to take your turn trying to tame the Dragon?

Dragon 2007

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 07:50 AM
DragonSlayer
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JustJAY
No tent this time huh? At least you got a room this time.
Tent was ok. It only leaked if you touched the side.

But most likely the wife will be with me this time and camping just doesn't cut it with her.

Old 09-18-2006, 08:24 AM
bamatt
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jwardell
I'm considering going in 07...but I haven't seen any official info! Just the ramblings in this thread. All the official event pages are still about 06. Relectant to book so early, especially without any official announcement.
MOTD is always the 1st weekend in May (actually Thursday til Sunday). It has never changed. That's why so many pre-booked their cabins as they were checking out last year. Don't worry those are the dates. The official NAM pages won't be up for months

Old 09-18-2006, 08:54 AM
Jaisee
1st Gear
I'd like to go but, I'm coming from Long Island and will be traveling by myself. (first timer on all accounts.

Old 09-18-2006, 09:01 AM
Yellow_mini
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by bamatt
MOTD is always the 1st weekend in May (actually Thursday til Sunday). It has never changed. That's why so many pre-booked their cabins as they were checking out last year. Don't worry those are the dates. The official NAM pages won't be up for months
And if for some odd reason the dates are changed you wont be the only one who messed up.

Old 09-18-2006, 11:24 AM
jwardell
6th Gear
Originally Posted by bamatt
Yes but it would answer questions like what is happening when and what is a must-attend. Like can I get away with arriving Friday afternoon or must i be there thursday night.

Old 09-18-2006, 01:34 PM
MiniMac2005
6th Gear
Yes but it would answer questions like what is happening when and what is a must-attend. Like can I get away with arriving Friday afternoon or must i be there thursday night.
Good questions... I had the same issue this year before attending. If I remember correctly, the forum for MOTD 2006 didn't go up until Jan/Feb this year?? The main events like the welcome (THU night) and farewell (SAT night) dinners are given. It's everything else that becomes a wait-and-see. The closer we get, the clearer the planned (and not so planned) events begin to materialize.

Unfortunately you won't be able to make every event offered. Pick and choose where you want to be and go with it . Be prepared in case the planned event time changes. I attended both dinners, the Brew Swap, the panoramic pic and one of the scenic runs (w/Agranger). But I missed a whole bunch of other stuff like the Parade of MINIs, the movie and Midnite on the Dragon to name a few.

Hope that helps

Old 09-18-2006, 02:02 PM
snooter
Mr. MOTD
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jaisee
I'd like to go but, I'm coming from Long Island and will be traveling by myself. (first timer on all accounts.
Uusally there are a bunch of caravans going to the Dragon from North, South, and West. Maybe you can hook-up with some fellow northerners on the way down.

Old 09-18-2006, 02:20 PM
snooter
Mr. MOTD
Hey jwardell. It really comes down to how much you want to do. I arrived early Thur. afternoon last year. This year I want to get there a day earlier!!

Thursday night, we'll have a Welcome Dinner, hosted by the Sunshine Mini Group. After the Welcome Dinner there will be a Monte Carlo night hosted by the Pittsburg Minis. There will be a Farewell Dinner on Saturday night. Last I heard from Matt, there will be a Brew Swap II on Friday night. The Midnight on the dragon is always on Saturday Night. There will be the Dragon Parade. The rest is up to us as individuals to make it happen. I hosted a Dillsboro excursion last year, this year I will probably do it again or maybe a Tuckaleechee cavern trip. I believe agranger said he was gonna host another drive. Miniclo has something in the works. As I said last year "Ask not what the Dragon can do for you, Ask what can YOU can do for the Dragon.

Mark from Nam and several other of us from various groups have been working on ideas for a while now. So it looks like its gonna be another killer Dragon in 07.

With that said, get there as soon as you can !!!!!

IS it MAY YET ????

Old 09-18-2006, 06:05 PM
Mrs. Skurvy
3rd Gear
It will be my first time for MOTD... My hubby and I will be there with FMPs for ImagoX...

Old 09-19-2006, 06:22 AM
jwardell
6th Gear
Just looking at the logistics, where I thought I would have to take off thursday and friday, because of the long drive I would probably have to take off wed & monday too...now we're talking 4 days of vacation and 5 nights lodging meaning it will harder to afford and harder to make my decision this early.

Old 09-19-2006, 06:33 AM
snooter
Mr. MOTD
Hey jwardell, Sunday is a dead day, most people just wake up and drive home. So maybe you wouldn't have to take Monday off?

Old 09-19-2006, 06:41 AM
jwardell
6th Gear
Yes, but the drive is 20hrs without so much as a pee break! (Well, according to google, anyway)

Old 09-19-2006, 07:33 AM
snooter
Mr. MOTD
Yes, but the drive is 20hrs without so much as a pee break! (Well, according to google, anyway)
I see your point

Old 09-19-2006, 11:59 AM
jibeho
5th Gear
This will be our FIRST We have a Dogwood for 3 nights.

Old 09-19-2006, 03:06 PM
o4amini
6th Gear
MOTD 06 was our first time. We found out about it too late to get in on any of the dinners and totally lucked out and got a room at FV when we got there. Our other reservations were far from Fontana. We are really looking forward to MOTD 07 and have our reservations made for the lodge. All this to say it will be our first time getting together with the whole group.

Old 09-19-2006, 03:39 PM
MiniMac2005
6th Gear
Just looking at the logistics, where I thought I would have to take off thursday and friday, because of the long drive I would probably have to take off wed & monday too...now we're talking 4 days of vacation and 5 nights lodging meaning it will harder to afford and harder to make my decision this early.
I can see your point. I'm trying to carryover a few VAC days into next year for MOTD. We're leaving TUE to arrive WED and will leave SUN. Plus I'm taking the next day off to rest b4 going back to work. 5 VAC days used, 1 motel night, 4 nights in FV.

The other option would be to see if anyone will offer to let you stay to help defray the cost for lodging. This year we had 3 in a cabin and still had an extra bed. Each person paid for one night, so it was a bargain. Will you have a passenger or going solo?

Depending on your speed and weather, you should be able to make it under 20 hrs. I'm guessing Google assumes 65 mph as ave speed?

Old 10-17-2006, 04:03 PM
Z MINI
1st Gear
Originally Posted by PuppetMaster2u
Do people normally bring their kids too (wife & I are trying to decide on it)?
All are welcome- last 2 years there were many families- lots of things for kids to do & explore

Old 10-20-2006, 10:35 PM
Thameth
5th Gear
Hey J!

Local.live.com says the trip from Miami to the Dragon is 14 hrs. But I drove it straight with my wife leaving Miami at 4am and arrived in Robinsville around 1:15p. Now that was with the cruise control set to 83mph the whole way and only stopping for gas as we brought food along for the trip.

Live.Local says from Newton, MA it should be 16 hrs and i'm guessing your drive should be closer to 12-13hrs.

Here is the map with directions from both directions:

Directions to the Dragon

Old 10-23-2006, 10:16 AM
jwardell
6th Gear
I would die three times over making that trip in one shot. I fall asleep easily when bored!
Us northerners are not used to long drive times. Anything more than 5 hours= plane!

Old 10-23-2006, 11:45 AM
hogtrader
2nd Gear
Robinsville Microtel Rooms Available

Hey All,
I just booked a room at the Robinsville Microtel (828-479-6772) for MOTD5 (3, 4, 5 May 2007). They have 45 rooms (out of 50) available for those dates. I stayed there last year and was pleased with the comfort and amenities. Very nice place but a bit of a drive to Fontana Village (29 mi.) Rates for 2007 haven't been set but you can make an insurance reservation and cancel it later if you can do better.

Like I said, good, clean, in Robinsville, not expensive (I think I paid 60 a night last year).

Good hunting and I'll see you at the Dragon next May.

Hogtrader and my faithful Mini "Sneaky".

Old 10-25-2006, 07:51 AM
MiniPlay
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by PuppetMaster2u
Do people normally bring their kids too (wife & I are trying to decide on it)?
My observation last year that it wasn't a kid friendly event, Beer Brew, and the fact that most kids are still in school early May.

The Mini in the Mountains event was perfect for my daughter. School hadn't started back up and there were other kids there her age. She had a great time and is looking forward to going back to MITM'07.

My daughter would have been bored at MOTD. She's 9.

Old 10-25-2006, 09:13 AM
MiniPlay
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by jibeho
This will be our FIRST We have a Dogwood for 3 nights.
I had a dogwood last year and it was fine. Would of been nice to have had some kind of internet but no tv and no phone, no problem. Cell phone coverage was a problem throughout the region. I have cingular.

Old 10-26-2006, 04:21 AM
Thameth
5th Gear
Originally Posted by hogtrader
Hey All,
I just booked a room at the Robinsville Microtel (828-479-6772) for MOTD5 (3, 4, 5 May 2007). They have 45 rooms (out of 50) available for those dates. I stayed there last year and was pleased with the comfort and amenities. Very nice place but a bit of a drive to Fontana Village (29 mi.) Rates for 2007 haven't been set but you can make an insurance reservation and cancel it later if you can do better.

Like I said, good, clean, in Robinsville, not expensive (I think I paid 60 a night last year).

Good hunting and I'll see you at the Dragon next May.

Hogtrader and my faithful Mini "Sneaky".

I stayed at the Microtell last year also and it was great. Typical clean hotel room with free Wifi. The drive from Robinsville to the Dragon is about 20 minutes and about 35 to Fontana(though i think the backway is shorter).

I would highly recommend it, i'll probably be staying there again since the cheapest rooms at Tapoco seem to have shared bathrooms with the entire floor.....

Old 10-26-2006, 04:45 AM
SpiderX
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MiniPlay
My observation last year that it wasn't a kid friendly event, Beer Brew, and the fact that most kids are still in school early May.

The Mini in the Mountains event was perfect for my daughter. School hadn't started back up and there were other kids there her age. She had a great time and is looking forward to going back to MITM'07.

My daughter would have been bored at MOTD. She's 9.
You might want to start a thread addressing others who want to bring their kids and create some fun for them....

Old 10-27-2006, 10:55 AM
mdorison
Neutral
I just got on the waiting list for Fontana. I appreciate the list that people have put together but does anyone have any personal opinions of these places? I don't want to drive all that way and then be too far away from all the action.

Quick Reply: Dragon 2007