5th Annual MINIs on the Dragon (May 3-6, 2007) The 5th Anniversary of the largest MINI event in the nation. Ready to take your turn trying to tame the Dragon?

MOTD 2008 - Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 10:28 AM
mmatarella
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Way to go all and great job overall! I loved most of what was done!

I'm one of those who greatly miss the parking lot and road in front of the rec center though. The best part of any MINI gathering to me is people milling around WITH their cars. Yes the area can't accomodate them all at once but with many out on the road etc. it worked well in the past. I sorely missed this. With the cars so spread out all over Fontana it didn't FEEL like that much bigger a gathering than a usual DCMM run here at home.

The 'vendor only area' became the 'vendors and friends of vendors cars' hang out area. To put it bluntly, it felt to me like if you were buddies with a vendor, you still got to hang out with your car in front of the rec center, else you were a 2nd class citizen. I'm sure some will disagree, but that's the way it felt to me. Most of the cars up there were NOT getting or waiting for their install. Especially at night.

I mentioned this in what I thought was a positive polite way, and it was said to me by one of the organizers (NOT Mark) that there were '51 other weekends in the year'. I guess if you don't like it go away was the suggestion. Of just one person understand. Comments were clearly NOT welcome.

I thought the dinners went great, very well done and great execution of soemthing that's tough to do!

With 800 reg's and only 300 able to go to a welcome dinner (I made it I was a lucky one) though I think the idea many have mentioned of a outside 'catering' tent will be the way to go. I don't imagine it's feasible to seat 800 or more people at once. Perhaps lunch and dinner served ongoing between hours of x and y is the only feasible way to go.

Perhaps with a MTTS style catering set up under tent, the vendors could set up in the dry in the rec center, leaving the parking lot and road for the socializing that used to be the main focus for some/many/(most?) of us. Installs might be on the side and two lots behind. Though out of 800 people how many actually get something installed during MOTD? 40? 50? Less? Are we devoting too much space and real estate to cater to the minority?

Don't know, just throwing out food for thought.

I missed out on the scavenger hunt too when I went looking for Lucky Dog on Saturday only to find they'd left! And after I had EVERY other vendor that was there's stamp.

As always the people make the event and MINI owners by and large are the friendliest going!

Last edited by mmatarella; 05-08-2007 at 10:30 AM.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:29 AM
CmdrVimes
Stuck in Reverse
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Most of you are touching on points that we are already looking for solutions to solve. The major concerns are already being worked on so they won't be major problems next year.

The biggest thing for next year will probably be the food situation. If things go as planned there won't be any sort of limits on the number of people who can get fed by any particular dinner (at least those who register ahead of time).

Old 05-08-2007, 10:38 AM
BrewSwapGuy
Formerly PassatDoTd
Originally Posted by blalor
I didn't care for the way the giveaways were done at the dinner. It was better than last year simply because last year it seemed to take *hours* to go through the raffle. I'd suggest making it a separate event from the farewell dinner. Maybe have a buy-in ($5/ticket?) with the proceeds donated to charity or something along those lines.
The prizes at all the events were discussed and I think you'll be pleased with next year's outcome...should the changes discussed come about. Everyone seemed to be in agreement on that issue.

Originally Posted by blalor
I had an absolute blast this year (good weather, good roads, great friends old and new), but I do think it had more of a "commercial" vibe to it than last year. I felt like there was a lot of crap being peddled to me in the vendor area and that some of them were just schlepping "stuff", as opposed to (and in addition to) the folks like Way, Chad, Erik, Chris, Emily and numerous others who are long-time supporters of the community. This feeling may have been enhanced by the smaller number of drives organized by individuals. Last year there were drives to the Biltmore and around the Cherohala Skyway (and others that I can't think of off the top of my head) that were at least mentioned ahead of time, but this year I can only think of the ice cream run.
Yeah, no one really stepped up to offer organized drives like last year. And that's a shame. Hopefully more people will step up next year. If just half a dozen people would put together a drive the event would be exponentially better.

As for the Vendors and their location, a balance does need to be found. Everyone give it some thought.

Old 05-08-2007, 10:42 AM
PEP
Coordinator ::Bluegrass Minis
I can't think of much to complain about. Except maybe the rain.

I enjoyed the vendors and bought stuff. Although it did feel different this year (my 3rd MOTD), but I think it was because cars were not allowed in the vendor area this year. I kept thinking, "where is everyone?" No big deal to me, but I did keep forgetting that I couldn't just drive up to the Rec area.

Someone said maybe there should be more socials or mixers, and I would agree that less structure can be a good thing sometimes. The Brew Swap seemed to have just enough structure for me. Matt, the Brew Swap rocked this year, by the way. I plan to write more on that topic in the proper thread.

I like the idea of opening up registration earlier next year as it will give more people time to plan...and get totally excited.

Anyway, I've taken up enough of your time. I had a blast again and will be back for my 4th MOTD next year!

Just some thoughts.

Old 05-08-2007, 10:54 AM
gnatster
6th Gear
Originally Posted by CmdrVimes
Most of you are touching on points that we are already looking for solutions to solve. The major concerns are already being worked on so they won't be major problems next year.
Having many people state some of the same concurns is a good thing. It shows we are as a group thinking of how to help you make it better for all. I think the scavanger hunt was bogus, one missed stamp and I can't enter the drawings. People will wander the vendor area, why force the vendors to spend time to stamp cards for people who are clearly not even remotely interested in thir products. I don't have a dog, why do I need spend possible quality drinking time seeing the people that meake dog seat covers so I can paticipate in a raffle. That scavenger hunt was a bad idea.

Encourage others to run other events such as group drives. Not everyone wants to figure out on their own what else in the area and then get a group to go with them. Whats great about this area over AMVIV is that group drives don't need to be long. Quality roads are right there, not miles away.

I am new at MOTD and had the impression form the very begining of my signing on NAM this was a NAM event put on by NAM, I expected them to hold my hand the entire way and have all day every day chock full of activities much like AMVIV. Put out the feelers now to get some poeple to orgainize more events such as group drives. Maybe try and schedule a Biltmore Tour with for a group. Please don't ask me to set these up, I have the organizatial skills or desire.

The biggest thing for next year will probably be the food situation. If things go as planned there won't be any sort of limits on the number of people who can get fed by any particular dinner (at least those who register ahead of time).
The BBQ did suck, but then again I am from TX and we know BBQ. What was the deal there, I paid for my meal, yet had to purchase a soft drink as well? I can see having purchase beer, but soft drinks..that just rubbed me the wrong way.

Old 05-08-2007, 11:30 AM
F1 PLZ
1st Gear
Overall I thought MOTD was a Smashing Success. As a first timer I have nothing to compare it to, but had a grand time. I like the idea someone posted regarding a printed handout with the events posted - I know that all of this was in the e-mailed Welcome packet, but I had forgotten to bring it along. Unfortunately I witnessed 2 very nasty Mini drivers yelling at an old man (who had pulled his Lincoln over to let them pass) on the Dragon that I personally lost my confidence to attempt to drive the Dragon. I just wished that they had been more considerate and remembered that we had been told to RESPECT the road and drive it within what we felt as our capabilities. Oh well I hope to go down at some point and "slay" the dragon when there's not a large group there to Slay 'em.
Laurie

Old 05-08-2007, 11:46 AM
tsukiji
4th Gear
The A-L & M-Z separate lines slowed the flow & should be dumped.

Old 05-08-2007, 11:47 AM
Darkness
5th Gear
Originally Posted by F1 PLZ
Unfortunately I witnessed 2 very nasty Mini drivers yelling at an old man (who had pulled his Lincoln over to let them pass) on the Dragon .
I saw those guys. The lincoln was stopped with the blinker on and was as far to the right as he could go and they were blaring on the horns, not knowing that he was making it as easy as possible for them to go by when the group I was in blasted by. Oh well.

Old 05-08-2007, 11:55 AM
snooter
Mr. MOTD
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Overall I think this years event was great.

Here are my minor suggestions:

A information booth/tent. Doesn't have to be manned, just have a tent by the vendors with the whiteboard, the map where the functions take place and other boards with event info. would be nice. (of course having a live person would be nice, but that may not be practical.)

Like Bamatt said, get a earlier start this year. Lets shoot for having all the major events ready to go public the 1st of the year and maybe all at the same time.

Leave the talks out of the dinners. I found the MINIUSA talk (the German guy) to be a little boring. I would have like that to be more of a "tire talk" situation, so if you are interested you attend, if not, you don't.

I could have done without the scavenger hunt. I know they serve the purpose to force us to see the vendors, especially those like Detailers Paradise that were away from the main area, but perhaps we could come up with a alternative?

Last edited by snooter; 05-08-2007 at 12:08 PM.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:58 AM
tsukiji
4th Gear
Originally Posted by snooter
Leave the talks out of the dinners. I found the MINIUSA talk (the German guy) to be a little boring.
The talks kinda had a timeshare pitch vibe.

Old 05-08-2007, 12:40 PM
mini_dreams
5th Gear
A positive first... I really enjoyed the Drive-In Movie. Very well organized, good picture and sound, lots of room and fun. And thankfully it didn't rain.

Sounds like I should have ponied up for the Monte Carlo night too.

My only complaint was the Dinner at the Grill, which I signed up for because I didn't register for the Banquet soon enough. The dinner was pretty disappointing. I ate at the Grill on another night and picked the food that I wanted, paid less, and enjoyed it. The dinner provided at the Grill on the banquet night was more expensive than what I had spent previously and not so great. I considered skipping it and going to Robbinsville, but didn't want to miss the banquet speakers (also not so great) and prize giveaways.

On the other hand, I appreciated that there was another dining opportunity that night. And it's probably good I didn't eat so much since I was a passenger on the Mindnight drive!

Old 05-08-2007, 01:24 PM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The Drive-In worked out better than I expected. Better sound and picture than a lot of theaters! I hope it remains for next year. Just get rid of the rent-a-cop hosing up the works everywhere in that unneeded 'security truck'.

If no cabins are built at the second entrance (they were torn down last year), this strip, albeit on a bit of a hill, would be a great place for a show-n-shine or gathering. The driveways for the missing cabins are still there.

It's possible to have an informational broadcast over FM radio (using the same equipment used to broadcast the sound at the drive-in) letting people know where to find things, any special news or info leading up to events, etc. People can tune in when arriving or moving around the area. Just a thought (and I have the equipment needed).

The registration process went faster than some other years, except for the getting the armbands for the farewell/overflow dinners. I was 'nudged' out of line twice in the mayhem that was occuring in that tiny lobby and had to start over each time. I was => <= this close to either packing up and heading out a day early or going off-site for dinner. Honestly, given the quality of my 'overflow' meal, I wish I had done the latter anyway. This was the low point in my experience this year.

Old 05-08-2007, 01:31 PM
HumbleHarper
1st Gear
I have great admiration for Mark, Sam, the Clubs, and all the volunteers who worked so hard to put this together. It was a daunting task, I'm sure, and you did a wonderful job.

What I love most about any event, is the opportunity to meet so many wonderfully diverse people.

For me, the area that needs the most improvement is the catering; would like hot food and enough to go around. Perhaps serving the food would be better than allowing everyone to serve themselves if food is limited. The beef was the worse I've ever eaten, more gristle than meat. All food was cold at both opening and bbq dinners. Inadequate seating provided at bbq dinner.

Vendor Scavenger Hunt - the vendors seemed to be a bit resentful of this program. They seemed to think that we were only there to get stamped; perhaps they need to understand that many of us did some power "window" shopping while we got all our boxes stamped, and THEN, went back the next day and bought tons of stuff in leisure that we'd scoped out the first day. Also, if they're too busy to do the stamping themselves, if they'll just make it available, we can stamp and not bother them.

Old 05-08-2007, 01:37 PM
mielnicki
6th Gear
Originally Posted by tsukiji
The A-L & M-Z separate lines slowed the flow & should be dumped.
Why? Because people are too stupid to figure out what line they should be in?

Two lines are better than one, hell add a couple more lines.

Last edited by mielnicki; 05-08-2007 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Finished my thought
Old 05-08-2007, 01:55 PM
minimusprime
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First Suggestion:

move the vendor area for several reasons:
1) so selling stuff isn't the focal point of the event... as it appeared to be this year
2) so it's easy for vendors to get customers cars in and out without close calls to peoples paint and wheels
3) so you can avoid some guy named Sam (you know who you are a-hole) spouting obscenities at vendors paying install customers.
4) Better flow of traffic and parking for all motd visitors
5) make the current vendor area a place for people to park and gather so it's more social less make money/sell

Second Suggestion:
More driving focused events.
1) Digital Picture scavenger hunt
2) ............

I have more to add but work day is over will add when i get home.

Old 05-08-2007, 01:57 PM
minifiddler
3rd Gear
i was so sad that Neil Smith, MINI USA's advertising guy, didnt talk at the last dinner- thats the only reason i got the tix- but im still glad i went- i met some cool folks... but im all in to advertising so that was a dissapointment...
so anyway- im a first timer so i dont have any comparisons from previous years, but comparing to other festivals and events i participate in... where were all the people!?!? it seemed like the only time there were alot of people in one place was at the dinners, drive in... ???? i guess the rain chased a lot of people off... and we spent all of saturday on the dragon... it was great in the rain... but i expected to see a lot more minis....
anyway that said- going on what i know other car groups do.- may be there should be two MOTDs per year- it would help keep the number of participants down and give more people a blast at the dragon. just a suggestion...
also - i know no one reading this can do anything about it.. but just to put it out there- i think it would be nice if there was a bypass for the dragon... like a straight road for tourist and "slow" people... there are a lot of people out there(like that lincoln) who just have no clue that there are people trying to drive the dragon quickly and they dont realize that they should pull off... also paved pull offs would be more inviting for those who should pull off- but any way- im just dreaming....
despite my bashings... i had alot of fun... and even if i dont make MOTD again, ill definatly visit the dragon again!

Old 05-08-2007, 02:06 PM
tsukiji
4th Gear
Originally Posted by mielnicki

Good to see that you're smart enough to edit your spelling error

Two (or more) lines are better when they're both serving all patrons.

Old 05-08-2007, 02:38 PM
1QukMINI
6th Gear
Suggestions...

I had a great time. Heck, drove the Dragon for the first ever time at the Midnight run. Wow, was that crazy! All in all, everything was awesome. People were great, the Drive-In Movie was great, it was cool to see the vendors and buy lots of cool MINI swag and a few things for the ol' boy. The things I think could be improved would be the Dinner at the Grill was a waste of money. The fish and chicken were hard and cold, and a crappy deal for $15. I could have eaten fresh cooked food at the same place for half the price. Also, having to go to the other building to pick up our bracelets to eat at the Grill, so we waited in that line, then had to go over to the Grill to wait in that line to order, seems like someone could have been at the Grill to handle those people.
Also, the vendors could have set aside for people what they said they would in advance. I had spoken with two vendors well in advance about things I wanted to buy, and received confirmation from both that they would have it, only to find out when I went to them that they were either sold out, or didn't bring the items. That's crappy, in my opinion, and will cost me shipping I could have saved, and ordered the items before the Dragon.
Another thing that might be cool would be a place for selling and trading Mini/MINI collectibles. Maybe it's a tent, maybe in another place. I dunno. Just seems like it would be cool to be able to pick up a few things, maybe swap some.
Again, other than that, we had a blast, and can't wait until next year. Are already on the waiting list at Fontana, and wouldn't mind staying where we stayed at this time, Nantahala Viilage, a nice place 45 minutes away. Heck, we had a hot tub on a deck that overlooked the mountains, even had a foosball table in our cabin. So, very little to complain about.

Old 05-08-2007, 02:40 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Originally Posted by mielnicki

Originally Posted by tsukiji
Good to see that you're smart enough to edit your spelling error

Two (or more) lines are better when they're both serving all patrons.
Actually, there's nothing wrong with separating the lines by letter, but they needed to be better indicated with signage, way ahead of time... so that people didn't get confused about where to go at the last minute. Easy fix. The problem with having more than one line serving ALL patrons is that it's much harder to ensure that two people won't stand in separate lines and use the same name. It's much better to have only one list to check each name from, and breaking that list down by letter makes things run faster.

They probably just need to move the check-in desk out onto the porch, so that it's easier to see, less confusing and less of a traffic jam right inside the doors. Just a thought, anyway.

Old 05-08-2007, 02:46 PM
Louispup
5th Gear
Anybody else notice that at check in, A-L was on the Left and at the Farewell dinner A-L was on the Right? :impatient No biggie. It's not like we had to go to the tail of the line.

Yes, advance (visable upon approach) signage would be helpful.

Old 05-08-2007, 02:56 PM
batgirlwildcat
6th Gear
FWIW, my thoughts...

How much fun YOU have is always YOUR CHOICE. I had a blast because I spent time with old and new friends. It's a simple as that. I didn't even have my MINI there.

Things people may or may not realize about vendors (from the perspective of someone associated with one and who worked in a tent): They need a flat, sturdy, not-flooded surface to do installs and the ability to easily move MINIs in and out. Stamping cards was not a problem, it was great to meet more folks whether or not they bought anything; but, it could also be distracting to stop in the middle of an install just to stamp a card. Thanks to ALL customers and stampees who were very patient, especially during the rain. Also, if you think the "little guys" are making bank at these events, think again. A lot of $ is put out up front (tent purchase, goodie bag items, prize donations, travel expenses, etc.) I thought the vendor area created a nice marketplace atmosphere, but I also missed seeing the MINIs gathered in one spot. I'm not sure there is a solution for this, trying to fit them all in the upper-level seems like the best idea so far.

I heard WAY too much complaining about having to walk around Fontana Village. Gimme a break.

Fontana doesn't have the capacity to hold a dinner big enough to include everyone. The bright side of this is that we get spin-offs like the Not So Welcome Dinner (which I didn't attend, but heard was great). These types of things are what's going to keep MOTD fun and evolving. Less-formal "grassroots" meals, activities, drives, etc. are going to be THE thing. Those who want to see MOTD be great are going to have to do their part to come up with ideas for these things and share in the planning and execution. They need not be complex or difficult. Individual clubs have been doing it for years, now the challenge is to open them to the MINI community at large.

Old 05-08-2007, 03:16 PM
mrry550
Neutral
Overall comment:
It seemed that there was a lot going on but I had no idea how to figure out what was going on, so I missed out on a lot.

More vendors selling swag would be a good idea. Is Mini officially not involved in these events? Why no booth from them? :D :D I'm one of those clueless girls who looks at a table of parts and am like, 'Huh?' I'm not going to buy some big ugly metal part, but show me a little badge with a mini on it and I'll buy 20. Mini Chix booth = Awesome.

Event Ideas:

How about all of you guys who like to drive the dragon super fast offer to take some of us less experienced people out on "educational" trips - kind of focusing on all of us staying safe and keeping our cars on the road. I know there are a few in the group that I met who race cars.

A "beginner's" parade, maybe? :D I did the dragon for the first time in the parade and everyone is telling me that we went slow. Meanwhile, I was in the car, knuckles white, hair raised on the back of my neck going OMG OMG OMG OMG. I got over it pretty quick, though. :D For all of you who potentially got stuck behind my slow ***, I apologize profusely. :D

More scheduled drives. I for one would be happy to organize a scheduled drive, even if it were only 5-10 minis.

Food:
Although it sounds like you guys may have something in the works, dinners should probably be offered in shifts (sign up for 4-6 or 6-8 serving, etc.) I also think it would be great if the lodge did not offer the same food every night. Although I didn't attend all of the dinners, I was told that the same potato salad & rolls seemed to show up at each dinner, leading people to believe it was just "left overs." I personally was very ill :( after eating the BBQ, so my husband and I skipped out on Grill night and headed into Robbinsville. We ate dinner at Lynn's Place - food was pretty cheap and pretty good.

Robbinsville also has a generally OK pizza place with a HUGE parking lot. Dinner idea, perhaps? It's right down the street from the skyway drive entrance.

Old 05-08-2007, 03:28 PM
BrewSwapGuy
Formerly PassatDoTd
To address the complaints of the people saying they didn't know where things were...

Just about everything that went down at MOTD was advertised on the forums prior to MOTD. Did you write things down? Things were posted, things were in the Event Planner that was emailed out to everyone and there were lots of knowledgable people roaming around.

Old 05-08-2007, 03:30 PM
mrry550
Neutral
Originally Posted by PassatDoTd
To address the complaints of the people saying they didn't know where things were...
Sorry, let me be more clear - there were a lot of groups outside of NAM organizing events. I believe there was a organized drive to the skyway on Saturday morning. I don't believe it was a closed event, so it would be nice to have a centralized location for "local clubs" to post what they are doing if they wish.

The main events- no problem.

Old 05-08-2007, 03:42 PM
vargasgal
5th Gear
Originally Posted by mini_dreams
My only complaint was the Dinner at the Grill, which I signed up for because I didn't register for the Banquet soon enough. The dinner was pretty disappointing. I ate at the Grill on another night and picked the food that I wanted, paid less, and enjoyed it. The dinner provided at the Grill on the banquet night was more expensive than what I had spent previously and not so great. I considered skipping it and going to Robbinsville, but didn't want to miss the banquet speakers (also not so great) and prize giveaways.
Same here...my only complaint is about the food served during the Dinner at the Grill. My entire dinner was pretty much inedible. I would have to guess it was plated about 30 minutes before I got it. By no means was that any fault of the organizers!!! Other than that, everything was great!

Quick Reply: MOTD 2008 - Suggestions