4th Annual MINIs on the Dragon (2006) Ready to take your turn trying to tame the Dragon? Learn all about what will likely be one of the largest MINI gatherings in 2006.

I don't want to drive mine from Cali but can I rent a Mini there??

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 10:08 AM
Minifly
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Mini doesn't want to drive there, is it possible to rent??

I know, stupid question time!! My 04 Indi Blue Mini said "no" (We live in California)! I'm not going to take you there! Now I have to moonlight in another Mini. Anybody know any dealers willing to rent a Mini for the Mini's on the dragon event? I can get to Knoxville for free, I'm a pilot but I need a ride, preferably a Mini S or even a convertible S. Please post or PM me with useful info, even if it's just a lead. Thanks in advance for any info!

Old 02-27-2006, 10:23 AM
mmatarella
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nope

I don't know anywhere that rents MINI's. You can trailer it. Ship it. Or fly out, rent something generic to get there, and ask to ride shotgun with some of your 400 new friends in their MINI... You won't have ANY problem hitching rides. I don't know that you could pry someone out to let you drive their car though. It's a tight twisty road and most would be hesitant to hand off their car. I'd think...

I toyed with the idea of trailering my, since I have a 'tow vehicle' to save the 1600+ miles I'll do going and coming. I've run up more mileage motoring than I expected in my first year with it. But after pricing dollies and trailers, new, used and rentals... I decided it wash't cost effective for my case. Easier to drive it, then if I want that mileage back I'll just have to drive my truck mostly for 3 weeks to 'recover' those miles.

On top of which I would NOT want to tow a trailer down 129 getting there. Would have needed to drop the truck and trailer to the north somewhere safe and proceed with the car...

Good Luck in sorting things out,
Mark

Old 02-27-2006, 10:49 AM
minimotorin
6th Gear
The only place I know of that rents MINIs is in south florida and they charge a hefty fee.

Old 02-27-2006, 10:54 AM
Big Daddy
5th Gear
When I was in San Diego in January, I met a couple from New York who had rented a Cabrio at the airport and were toodling around in it having a great time. Not sure what rental agency it was but at least they are out there to be found. Good luck!

Old 02-27-2006, 11:01 AM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Minifly
Now I have to moonlight in another Mini.
You'd better hope your MINI doesn't read this forum. You might wake up tomorrow to a dead battery or something.

Old 02-27-2006, 11:33 AM
Minifly
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by chrisneal
You'd better hope your MINI doesn't read this forum. You might wake up tomorrow to a dead battery or something.
Nice

Old 02-27-2006, 07:47 PM
ToBFree
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I rented one of the MINI's MINIMOTORIN mentioned in Orlando, shipped up from Miami for last year's Halloween weekend on a golf trip. I tried the dealer in Orlando but their insurance won't cover rentals. They had a nice heavily mod'd red S for sale too. The one I got was an orange convertible through Orlando Auto Rental. Thought I'd test one out in warm weather and tool around in the evenings. It was expensive, but a hoot.

Until Halloween night when I left it parked in front of a friend's house in a nice neighborhood because we all went to dinner in a larger car to fit everyone in. Upon returning we found it missing the driver's side window, the victim of a drive-by "let's break someone's window" prank. Had to call the police for a report at midnight so it would be covered by insurance. The officer arrived quickly, got out and said "hmmm, that's too bad." I said "yeah, I'm really glad I left ToBFree in Ohio." I had to explain that a bit further. Anyway, I returned the car a couple days later, with less rubber on the tires, no window, and glass rattling in the door. I'm sure other's have enjoyed the new window since then.

I did learn that I prefer my sunroof hardtop over the cabrio. Golf clubs are a pain to get in the boot even with the releases. Takes 5 hands to do. Putting the top down to get clubs in didn't sound like a regular answer.

So, I doubt you could rent a MINI for MOTD unless we were near a large city. You could try, maybe someone would ship it up? That'd be real spendy though. Better yet, fly into Miami, rent one, and drive to the Dragon.

Old 02-28-2006, 05:50 AM
koolmini
OVERDRIVE
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
a rental MINI at the Dragon would be a great way to save on tire wear

Old 02-28-2006, 06:38 AM
sndwave
Coordinator :: Gulf Coast & Panhandle MINIs
Originally Posted by koolmini
a rental MINI at the Dragon would be a great way to save on tire wear
Then rent him yours Kool.

Old 02-28-2006, 06:45 AM
koolmini
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by sndwave
Then rent him yours Kool.
i just want to use the tires from the rental (MINI) kar for a pass on the Dragon or two or three or

Old 02-28-2006, 06:52 AM
Jenn B
6th Gear
Miami is 800+ miles from the Dragon.

Atlanta is the biggest city in the south and not far from the Dragon and I don't know of anywhere to rent a MINI here.

Old 02-28-2006, 06:56 AM
koolmini
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Jenn B
Miami is 800+ miles from the Dragon.

Atlanta is the biggest city in the south and not far from the Dragon and I don't know of anywhere to rent a MINI here.
call the rental kar people at Knoxsville airport, then work your way out from there (Atlanta, Nashville, etc.)

Old 02-28-2006, 07:14 PM
thatatvguy
4th Gear
Are you just needing a ride to the Dragon from Knoxville? I might be able to swing thru on my way. Maybe a little petro $ for the cause. Do you have a place lined up to say? I'm still working on that myself. What day are you going to be touching down in K'ville? I'm going up on Thurs, but it may be 5 or 6 that night before i get there. Then another almost 2 hrs to get to Fontana.

I know that it would not be as fun as it would if you actually had your ride there, but at least you would be there.

Old 02-28-2006, 07:33 PM
jmcphers
1st Gear
Hertz will rent you a new Miata at some of its locations. That's about the sweetest-handling car you can get at most major rental outlets.

Old 02-28-2006, 08:13 PM
snooter
Mr. MOTD
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
my wife saw this on the news this weekend, you might want to check it out!

http://www.zipcar.com/how/