4th Annual MINIs on the Dragon (2006) Ready to take your turn trying to tame the Dragon? Learn all about what will likely be one of the largest MINI gatherings in 2006.

Let's Get This Party Started!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 08:45 AM
welshmenwillnotyield
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let's Get This Party Started!!

I have been registered for awhile now for this May's MOTD. I did it early because of last year's rush to fill all the activities and because I didn't want to get shut out of anything. HOWEVERRRRRRR, we are just two months from MOTD and STILL have no concrete plans?? WTF is going on???? WHO is responsible for planning these "STILL BEING PLANNED" events? WHEN can people expect to RSVP to them? :impatient

Old 02-28-2006, 09:12 AM
Minimom
3rd Gear
AtlantaMINIS are going on a Dragon mission this weekend to finalize plans for the chili cook-off and cook-out. We will post our finalized plan on Monday so stay tuned!

Old 02-28-2006, 10:19 AM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My advice would be to chill out and just keep checking in here regularly. I'm sure events aren't going to fill up in 24 hours. Keep in mind the huge amount of work that the organizers are doing (for free) so that bums like you and I can go down there and just have four days of fun. I think you should be a bit less demanding.

Old 02-28-2006, 10:46 AM
welshmenwillnotyield
6th Gear
I'm not being demanding at all; in fact, I have run these questions by others in NAM and it was suggested that someone should run a thread about them. I figured that since I was the one questioning my friends, that I should be the thread-writer, then.

Old 02-28-2006, 10:51 AM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All the capital letters and "WTF" and etc. sounds demanding to me, at least over the computer. Your post comes off as more exasperated than you probably actually are. It's definitely a valid question, though.

Old 02-28-2006, 10:57 AM
welshmenwillnotyield
6th Gear
Actually, the "WTF" letters were ALSO part of the suggested thread's suggested title. When I was writing the thread, I forgot to use my own title, and those letters kinda snuck in, and I guess they DO show my exasperation. MY title choice was, "Let's Get This Party Started!!".

Old 02-28-2006, 11:01 AM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by chrisneal
All the capital letters and "WTF" and etc. sounds demanding to me, at least over the computer. Your post comes off as more exasperated than you probably actually are. It's definitely a valid question, though.
That was my read as well.

Originally Posted by welshmenwillnotyield
When I was writing the thread, I forgot to use my own title, and those letters kinda snuck in. MY choice was, "Let's Get This Party Started!!".
Thread title edited since that was apparently the original intent and it helps to dial things down a notch.

Old 02-28-2006, 11:46 AM
welshmenwillnotyield
6th Gear
Even with the title change, the questions still linger, though.

Old 02-28-2006, 11:54 AM
CooperBeagle
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Methinks welshmenwillnotyield just yielded! Well, the main thing at this point is that so many have freed their schedules to get away and have reservations for someplace to stay. I'm far from an "A" personality type, so I'm not at all worried... just hanging out, driving, playing some music, (Off Topic Band), sounds like a good time to me. If I sign up for other events, well that's great too, but all in good time.

Old 02-28-2006, 11:55 AM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Minimom
AtlantaMINIS are going on a Dragon mission this weekend to finalize plans for the chili cook-off and cook-out. We will post our finalized plan on Monday so stay tuned!
Oh, cool! Sounds like a fun weekend ahead, Minimom! Woo hoooo! Have a great time!

Old 02-28-2006, 12:02 PM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by welshmenwillnotyield
Even with the title change, the questions still linger, though.
you could always click the under your first post and edit it.

Old 02-28-2006, 12:03 PM
welshmenwillnotyield
6th Gear
Originally Posted by CooperBeagle
Methinks welshmenwillnotyield just yielded!
-----------

Nope...while the title may have changed, can I be accused of "yielding" just because I want to see things to go forwards, instead of seeing the same old, same old...everyday and everytime I check? Time's a wastin....

Old 02-28-2006, 12:33 PM
queenB
Coordinator :: Smoky Mountain MINIs
Patience grasshopper, ummm welsh-hopper. Sometimes the details of these things fall right into place and sometimes you have to beat them with a club. Plus this is probably one of the hardest areas of the country to arrange a nice dinner for you and 300 or 400 hundred of your best friends.

Angel, let me know when you are coming up. We would like to meet you guys.

Old 02-28-2006, 01:16 PM
welshmenwillnotyield
6th Gear
Originally Posted by DiD
you could always click the under your first post and edit it.
-----------

This is my first thread ...ever. I didn't even know HOW to post a new thread until I asked one of my friends how to set it up last night.

Old 02-28-2006, 04:44 PM
kgdblu
6th Gear
yup, 2 whole months, so relax...folks are working their lil fingers to the bone organizing events. I'm sure things will be posted in a timely manner...and you'll have plenty of time to register.

Old 02-28-2006, 05:23 PM
CmdrVimes
Stuck in Reverse
Originally Posted by queenB
Plus this is probably one of the hardest areas of the country to arrange a nice dinner for you and 300 or 400 hundred of your best friends.
Don't even get me started on that one.... one dinner was hard enough to plan out, but it seems like I'm helping plan two.

Old 02-28-2006, 05:24 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CmdrVimes
Don't even get me started on that one.... one dinner was hard enough to plan out, but it seems like I'm helping plan two.
I thank you, CmdrVimes!

Old 02-28-2006, 06:08 PM
mielnicki
6th Gear
I think the concern is that things like the welcome dinner, farewell dinner, chili cook-off etc. were all available for registration by this time last year.

Plus there was the double-cross rally, the Skyway drive, Panoramic Dam Photo. All of which are not happening this year.

That said, the things that are happening, Autocross, Brew-Swap, Cigar Salon, Dillsboro trip, while they are on the event planner, there is no official sign-up like there was for varoius events last year. It's all in a running tally at the end of some thread buried within the MOTD forum.

I am in it for the driving, seeing old friends and making new ones, oh and the BEER!

Steve

Old 03-01-2006, 04:57 AM
Jen
6th Gear
Originally Posted by CmdrVimes
You've been a real trooper on this one. I know we are very close on the Welcome Dinner. Just the farewell to go!

Old 03-01-2006, 12:39 PM
lastrega
6th Gear
welshmenwillnotyield...

I am not gonna aswer ... but I am looking forward to meeting you at the Dragon

MD STREGA2

Old 03-01-2006, 12:47 PM
mielnicki
6th Gear
Originally Posted by lastrega
welshmenwillnotyield...

I am not gonna aswer ... but I am looking forward to meeting you at the Dragon

MD STREGA2
Geez, lighten up a little. He asked a fair, if not tactful question, that I am sure more than a few people are curious about.

Steve

Old 03-01-2006, 03:06 PM
Jen
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mielnicki
Geez, lighten up a little. He asked a fair, if not tactful question, that I am sure more than a few people are curious about.

Steve
She's been one of the main two people trying to pull together the dinners and is ready to pull out her hair over them!

The Welcome Dinner is just about set and they are working very hard on getting the Farewell Dinner put together. We did not anticipate needing to handle both dinners in the original planning......and if there is anyone out there who would like to host the Farewell Dinner.......I had to try.......

Old 03-01-2006, 04:03 PM
Minimom
3rd Gear
We have a Steering Committee that is putting on the Chili Cookoff/Cookout and it takes all of us to get it ready. Putting together a party for this many people takes a whole lot of time and effort.

I see why wedding coordinators and party planners get paid so much!

Old 03-01-2006, 04:40 PM
mielnicki
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Jen
She's been one of the main two people trying to pull together the dinners and is ready to pull out her hair over them!

I can sympathize, my wife is a party planner, so I understand all that is involved. My point was, that those of you who are doing the planning, should not take the comment made by one person so seriously. Relax, it will be done when it's done.

And if there is no welcome dinner or farewell dinner, everyone is an adult and can be responsible for feeding themselves, all the cabins have kitchens.

Steve

Old 03-01-2006, 05:50 PM
Ministi2005
3rd Gear
I am reminded of the famous quotation by Thomas Paine, "Lead, follow, or get out of the way."

Seems to me that unless you're volunteering to lead an event or a planning exercise it hardly seems right to criticize anyone's alleged delay in getting this event underway. I am sure the whole thing is like herding cats.

Those are just my two cents, anyway.

Quick Reply: Let's Get This Party Started!!