4th Annual MINIs on the Dragon (2006) Ready to take your turn trying to tame the Dragon? Learn all about what will likely be one of the largest MINI gatherings in 2006.

Question for those whom already made reservations at Fontana for 2006

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2006, 06:55 AM
OKeefe
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sat 0950 - just got a dogwood

as of 10 min ago - a few dogwood left and now they have opened some time shares

I was tempted ... hot tub and fire place ...

correction - that way have been whirlpool tub - not hot tub - I didn't listen that close

Old 01-28-2006, 07:42 AM
Jenn B
6th Gear
Whoa... hot tub. Any idea how much those are going for?

Old 01-28-2006, 07:51 AM
kgdblu
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Wagnbat
I just noticed on Fontanna's site, under Cabin's & Kitchenette's, only 1 cabin claims to have a 'full kitchen'. All the rest just list 'kitchen utensils'. What does that mean? No fridge, no cooking range?
Will, I think most cabins have at least a full fridge and stove. Not all have micros, at least last year my cabin didn't. I don't think any of them have dishwashers...their plumbing system just can't handle them.
Kitchen utensils (pots, pans, flatware, plates) vary from cabin to cabin, but assume they're very basic. We'll bring our toaster oven cuz they're handy to have there. I will bring my own large pots for cooking.

Old 01-29-2006, 09:09 AM
KarenTKD
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by kgdblu
Will, I think most cabins have at least a full fridge and stove. Not all have micros, at least last year my cabin didn't. I don't think any of them have dishwashers...their plumbing system just can't handle them.
Kitchen utensils (pots, pans, flatware, plates) vary from cabin to cabin, but assume they're very basic. We'll bring our toaster oven cuz they're handy to have there. I will bring my own large pots for cooking.
What type of cabin did you stay in last year? I've got a Laurel, and I'm trying to figure out the whole kitchen situation since the pic on the web is so small.

It would be cool if people who went last year gave a detail of what they really had in their different types of lodging. That would be most helpful.

Old 01-29-2006, 09:15 AM
thefuturequeenofnebraska
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We had plates, cups and silverware in our cabin last year.....

Old 01-29-2006, 05:59 PM
SB
6th Gear
Originally Posted by KarenTKD
What type of cabin did you stay in last year? I've got a Laurel, and I'm trying to figure out the whole kitchen situation since the pic on the web is so small.

It would be cool if people who went last year gave a detail of what they really had in their different types of lodging. That would be most helpful.
Four of us stayed in a Laurel last year. The kitchen had utensils and an assortment of pots and pans. Ours did have a microwave and coffee maker. If you happen to get a Laurel where the refrigerator door needs to be held shut by a kitchen table. If not on the porch, look under the cabin and there may be a nice charcoal grill that is slightly burnt but otherwise good to use. BTW, the porches on the Laurels are huge. Had it not been for more of use staying together this year and needing more room. I would have opted for a Laurel again. Good price and no spiders.

Old 01-30-2006, 05:06 AM
koolmini
OVERDRIVE
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I just noticed on Fontanna's site, under Cabin's & Kitchenette's, only 1 cabin claims to have a 'full kitchen'. All the rest just list 'kitchen utensils'. What does that mean? No fridge, no cooking range?
if you really need to cook, my cabin has a fridge, stove pots & pans...
...but you'll have to make enough to feed me & my guests

Old 01-30-2006, 08:19 AM
kgdblu
6th Gear
Originally Posted by KarenTKD

I stayed in a Dogwood last year. These are probably the oldest buildings and haven't been renovated. They're duplex style. They're...rustic
I had a full-sized fridge, and a stove. Utensils were minimal but adequate. No TV or microwave or phone. Heat was supplied by an electric wall unit circa 1950's, tho' again...adequate.
The bathroom floor had a serious slope to it but everything worked. The water pressure in the shower was feeble, and hot water was limited, but I managed as did my roommate.
There was a nice porch with rocking chairs.
If you plan on doing a lot of cooking, you might consider bringing your own pots as the selection at my cabin was very basic...one frying pan, 2 pots and a sauce pan. I don't know if other cabins have a larger inventory of cookware, so I'm not taking any chances. I have to feed a small horde on the 2nd of May, so I'm bringing my own.
Hope this helps...

Old 01-30-2006, 08:33 AM
Wagnbat
6th Gear
Originally Posted by OKeefe
as of 10 min ago - a few dogwood left and now they have opened some time shares

I was tempted ... hot tub and fire place ...

correction - that way have been whirlpool tub - not hot tub - I didn't listen that close
I called about kitchen ammenities in the Cabin I reserved, and was told that most have full kitchens with full sized stoves & sinks, and that the Laurel's are set up just like a house. I'm happy to hear that.

As for the timeshares, the hot-tub sounded tempting... So I asked about timeshares, and the 'Gail' lady over the phone said 'Those are available through RCI'. I prodded for more information since I don't know what an RCI is, and she said that's who handles their timeshares. I mentioned that Mini Cooper club people said timeshares were available, and she replied that timeshares are for members only, and in the rare event they do open them up to the public, they are more expensive. Ok, so are there any available for that weekend. No.

She was a bit rude, now that I think about it. Meh, better luck to whomever still needs to make reservations.

Old 01-30-2006, 09:42 AM
yomamali
2nd Gear
I think I just reserved the last Dogwood cabin... timeshares are still available.

Old 01-30-2006, 02:13 PM
Scavenger
6th Gear
Originally Posted by koolmini
if you really need to cook, my cabin has a fridge, stove pots & pans...
...but you'll have to make enough to feed me & my guests
"if you really need to cook, my cabin has a fridge"

Um.. since when do you cook in the fridge?

Old 01-30-2006, 02:20 PM
BamaGirl
2nd Gear
When I reserved my Dogwood I was told it had ben "newly renovated". I was told it still does nothave AC but I will not need that. It is looking like it may be just mom and I. I am still trying to get some other friends to go. If I am can not find any one else to go I may have a bed and couch available. I will know better when it gets closer to time.

I am SOOOOOO ready!!!!

Old 01-30-2006, 02:22 PM
Scavenger
6th Gear
Thanks for the details, I think I was told that mine had a Microwave, but I think I'll call and double-check. Should we bring sleeping bags?

I stayed in a Dogwood last year. These are probably the oldest buildings and haven't been renovated. They're duplex style. They're...rustic
I had a full-sized fridge, and a stove. Utensils were minimal but adequate. No TV or microwave or phone. Heat was supplied by an electric wall unit circa 1950's, tho' again...adequate.
The bathroom floor had a serious slope to it but everything worked. The water pressure in the shower was feeble, and hot water was limited, but I managed as did my roommate.
There was a nice porch with rocking chairs.
If you plan on doing a lot of cooking, you might consider bringing your own pots as the selection at my cabin was very basic...one frying pan, 2 pots and a sauce pan. I don't know if other cabins have a larger inventory of cookware, so I'm not taking any chances. I have to feed a small horde on the 2nd of May, so I'm bringing my own.
Hope this helps...

Old 01-30-2006, 02:37 PM
BamaGirl
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Scavenger
Thanks for the details, I think I was told that mine had a Microwave, but I think I'll call and double-check. Should we bring sleeping bags?

I would find out if you got of the renovated ones or not. Mine has a sleeper sofa so I can put up more people if I have to, or want to! Best thing to do is call and find out what all it has.

I just called and was told ALL the Dogwoods have a FULL kitchen, including a microwave. Hope that helps.

Old 01-30-2006, 05:57 PM
kgdblu
6th Gear
It could be that the new owners of Fontana may have gotten busy in the past year and renovated more stuff. If so, then that's definitely a plus for you Dogwood folks.
It'll be interesting to see if "my" cabin , from last year, was renovated....

Old 01-30-2006, 06:06 PM
Scavenger
6th Gear
That sounds good! A Microwave is very convenient. I think I can handle "roughing it" a little in other ways. That time a year, we won't need the A/C.

Thanks

Originally Posted by BamaGirl
I would find out if you got of the renovated ones or not. Mine has a sleeper sofa so I can put up more people if I have to, or want to! Best thing to do is call and find out what all it has.

I just called and was told ALL the Dogwoods have a FULL kitchen, including a microwave. Hope that helps.

Old 01-30-2006, 07:19 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
The water pressure in the shower was feeble, and hot water was limited, but I managed as did my roommate.
Yep, we managed.
It could be that the new owners of Fontana may have gotten busy in the past year and renovated more stuff. If so, then that's definitely a plus for you Dogwood folks.
It'll be interesting to see if "my" cabin , from last year, was renovated....
You mean "our" cabin, Mom?

Old 01-30-2006, 08:35 PM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Scavenger
Should we bring sleeping bags?
Well, I'll definitely have my sleeping bag with me, since I'll be arriving from a 4-day backpacking trip in the Smokies, but even if I was just driving straight down, I'd go with the sleeping bag plan. It's just as comfortable as anything else, and I'd prefer to guarantee no contact with the mattress. This isn't the Marriott... Heck, I'll have my Thermarest sleeping pad too, in case things look really grim.

Old 01-30-2006, 09:53 PM
MiniMac2005
6th Gear
Got my room @ Fontana today!!!

I called this morning and was able to reserve one of their time-share rooms I spoke to Gail who told me to call back to talk to Merideth, who was handling reservations. Merideth said I could reserve one of their "Member cabins" which is normally reserved for RCI members. Being an RCI member, I asked why I wasn't able to find them on their listings? They said they try not to block off any rooms for RCI during gatherings like MOTD. Works for me Can't wait !!!!

Old 01-31-2006, 06:33 AM
kgdblu
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Edge
Yep, we managed. You mean "our" cabin, Mom?
Yes my son...sorry, "our" cabin.

Old 01-31-2006, 07:41 AM
Wagnbat
6th Gear
Yes my son...sorry, "our" cabin.
"Yes, my son..."

Old 02-01-2006, 06:39 PM
GeminiSun
2nd Gear
Wife and I will be joining the fun in Mr Sun - it will be our FIRST MOTD run - looking forward to it.

Old 02-02-2006, 06:23 AM
kgdblu
6th Gear
"Yes, my son..."
silly *****

Old 02-02-2006, 07:06 AM
Jenn B
6th Gear
Oops... meant to post in the other thread. Hahaa.

Old 02-02-2006, 07:22 AM
TWISTER
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I hope to meet lots of you this year!

I run GoMotoring.com & MotoringCards.com.

I'll be the one with a wind-up key on the back of TWISTER!

YES IT DOES SPIN!

Quick Reply: Question for those whom already made reservations at Fontana for 2006