3rd Gen FAQs 3rd Gen Common Questions & Answers!

Union Jack Taillights

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2020, 02:28 AM
SwoleMini18
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 6FT6
Shouldn't ever flicker.
They don’t flicker as in a malfunction. But when I lock the car they “blink” once or twice while turning off. The DRL portion of the tail light.

I've coded everything according to the stickied posts. Double and triple checked.

Old 06-20-2020, 02:30 AM
SwoleMini18
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Mac_Mini
I have a US pre-lci F56 with aftermarket UJ lights from FunFob. They work perfectly out of the box. No coding, just plug and play. However, when I coded the rear fogs to work as brake lights it completely disables the brake lights of the UJ. Only the fogs turn on when I brake. Does anyone know how to fix that? I've asked multiple people with the same setup who have no issues but they just keep redirecting me to other people in fear of being liable for any coding issues.
I’m in the exact same boat. Fogs only work as brake lights and disables UJ brake lights.

Old 06-20-2020, 05:28 AM
Walt
5th Gear
Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by SwoleMini18
I’m in the exact same boat. Fogs only work as brake lights and disables UJ brake lights.
I still have the regular taillights. When I attempted to enable the rear-fogs-as-brake-lights, the bottom half of my regular brake lights stopped working. I was never unable to find a Bimmercode solution other than to go back and re-disable the rear-fogs-as-brake-lights.

I mention this because I am wondering if the UJ taillight brake lights are wired up like the regular taillight bottom-half brake lights? And you are seeing that same basic problem?

Old 06-22-2020, 01:36 AM
SwoleMini18
1st Gear
Not sure. Only time my fogs come on now is when my "welcome lights" are on from unlocking the car haha.

Old 06-25-2020, 08:35 AM
Smittysweets
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Similar problem

Originally Posted by JonnyUSA
Wanted to update this as I've just figured out the fix for it. My car is a US spec LCI Mini Cooper (i.e. after Mar 2018) with halogen front and backs to help others identify. I have fitted the US market UJ tail lights. On top of DunkM's instructions at the top of this thread, in order to get the lights working correctly the following is also required

3065 - MAPPING_BLINKEN_2_H_L_OUTPUT - was set to "off" - change to bl_l
3065 - MAPPING_BLINKEN_2_H_R_OUTPUT - was set to "off" - change to bl_r

Now I have the indicators flashing when brakes are applied as they should and no errors at all. And they look seriously cool :-)
I think i have a similar problem, i swap my halogen US UJ lights on mini 2017 f57, did my own coding using bimmercode as listed on the first post, and everything seems to be working as it should although today a very rainy day i found out that if i turn my my hazard lights and then step on the break i get an error message (see below)

but i cannot find those blinken_2_h_r anywhere in bimmercode anyone know how to fix this!? It only happens in the combo mentioned before...

Old 08-12-2020, 06:00 PM
WHendrix
Neutral
Originally Posted by Smittysweets
I think i have a similar problem, i swap my halogen US UJ lights on mini 2017 f57, did my own coding using bimmercode as listed on the first post, and everything seems to be working as it should although today a very rainy day i found out that if i turn my my hazard lights and then step on the break i get an error message (see below)

but i cannot find those blinken_2_h_r anywhere in bimmercode anyone know how to fix this!? It only happens in the combo mentioned before...
My 2017 MCS is doing the same thing. Did you find a solution?

Old 08-12-2020, 08:44 PM
Smittysweets
1st Gear
Solution

Originally Posted by WHendrix
My 2017 MCS is doing the same thing. Did you find a solution?
actually i did!!! After lots of reading forums and re-reading the post i realized, Ive applied a code that was not applicable for my car.... the trick was to re-read that is was for a facelift and mine is a pre-facelift see below this is the code I should NOT modify in my car, so i put it back to what it was before... it was useful that somewhere in this forum ( i cannot remember where) someone posted an excel spreadsheet with different codings for mini the in what column the default code and another column with the code and what it modifies... it that makes sense.

Additional Coding Required for Facelift Halogen to US parts: The secondary output for the rear blinkers must be coded to output to the correct location to work correctly. Without this, the car thinks the blinker/brake combination does not work correctly. Under 3065, please change.
MAPPING_BLINKEN_2_H_x_OUTPUT - bl_x

Old 08-13-2020, 08:19 AM
WHendrix
Neutral
Originally Posted by Smittysweets
actually i did!!! After lots of reading forums and re-reading the post i realized, Ive applied a code that was not applicable for my car.... the trick was to re-read that is was for a facelift and mine is a pre-facelift see below this is the code I should NOT modify in my car, so i put it back to what it was before... it was useful that somewhere in this forum ( i cannot remember where) someone posted an excel spreadsheet with different codings for mini the in what column the default code and another column with the code and what it modifies... it that makes sense.

Additional Coding Required for Facelift Halogen to US parts: The secondary output for the rear blinkers must be coded to output to the correct location to work correctly. Without this, the car thinks the blinker/brake combination does not work correctly. Under 3065, please change.
Awesome! That was it!

Old 08-13-2020, 12:41 PM
Smittysweets
1st Gear
Thumbs up Awesome!

Originally Posted by WHendrix
Awesome! That was it!
so happy i was able to help....

Old 08-28-2020, 03:54 PM
Walt
5th Gear
Question

Originally Posted by Czptp Px

5. In bimmercode go to, BDC_BODY, 3065 Lcdlampmapping4 , MAPPING_BREMSL_2_L_OUTPUT , change from “sl_l” to “off”. Repeat for right side. This instructs the ECU to not light the tail light brighter when brake lights activated.
Once again, I am looking at changing my tail lights on my pre-LCI F56 to the union jack style. One thing that troubles me, is that for brake lights, you only have the rather thin vertical line.

After reading the above (quoted here), can adjusting the value of MAPPING_BREMSL_2_L_OUTPUT change it so that the full union jack also lights up for braking?

Last edited by Walt; 08-28-2020 at 04:38 PM.
Old 08-28-2020, 04:22 PM
Czptp Px
1st Gear
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
On my oem union jack taillights, the vertical line and horizontal light up with the brakes. I have a preLCI halogen to LED conversion. I think the European Union Jack taillights do what you describe.

Old 08-28-2020, 04:50 PM
Walt
5th Gear
Here is another picture, I found on the internet. Its driving lights on left, and brake lights on right. Note that on the brake lights, not only is the thin vertical line illuminated, but also is the union jack (and the union jack is brighter than it is for driving lights).

Is this simply the way these particular aftermarket tail lights work? Or is this a result of some Bimmercode setting?

The following users liked this post:
dlockwood54 (08-29-2020)
Old 08-28-2020, 05:07 PM
Sansho
1st Gear
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
BDC_BODY, 3065 Lcdlampmapping4 , MAPPING_BREMSL_2_L_OUTPUT , change from “sl_l” to “off”
I did this today on my 2018 MCS ... the fog lights were then on when braking, however, the entire UJ brake light became null, as in they remained dark. Changed it back, and would love to know how to create what Walt posted above. The thin brake line on the Euro UJ certainly works, however, having the entire UJ logo light up would add mightily to overall safety.

The following 2 users liked this post by Sansho:
dlockwood54 (08-29-2020), Walt (08-29-2020)
Old 09-01-2020, 12:30 PM
TristanJCW
Neutral
Originally Posted by DunkM
FIRST NOTE: Please note I cannot respond to this post so if you have questions please PM me. If I am able to help solve it please post your problem and how we fixed it so we share with others.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: There has been a number of incorrect comments popping up about LED rear lights. The pre-facelift cars had two options, halogen lights, and a 3d LED/halogen blend artwork. Please see the link below to compare to your car. To be sure, if you have LED front lights, you have LED rear lights.
Pure Halogen (on right) vs. LED package (on left)
credit to gwernerjr

NOTE: Pre-facelift halogen cars use the same wiring harness connection, but only use 5 pins instead of 6 which requires a change to the wiring in order to retrofit. Therefore, you must relocate one of the pins to another location on the connector in order to output to the running lights. The instructions can be found on a post in this thread - Pre-facelift Halogen Retrofit Instructions
Credit to Czptp Px

NOTE: Post facelift cars now use the same connectors regardless of whether they are LED or halogen. Credit for this information and the specific additional coding required (seen below) to JonnyUSA.

Preface: This post is designed to cover all issues with installation/retrofit of the LCI Union Jack (UJ) tail lights in pre-facelift cars. There are two forms: the US part uses red-colored LEDs in all locations, with the verticle brake line and the horizontal rear turn signals integrated into one light. Meanwhile, the EU part has amber-colored LEDs in the horizontal turn signal and the vertical brake line is separate. Each coding is slightly different since the US brake/turn signal is hard-wired together. And the brake force display coded for US brakes would light up the turn signals amber, which does not suggest emergency to me, so one must reprogram it to work in the European way. It has come to my attention that the US cars no longer use BFD, and it has been turned off. I believe the process for the EU part should work to set the BFD for US parts as well. I will define the process using BimmerCode as I am going to make the assumption anyone willing to use ESYS will be able to work their way through this.

Install: (Cars with the LED exterior package) The physical install is extremely simple. Gently pry the chrome (or black) rings around the lights off the light by finding the points that clip in and applying pressure to pop them out. There are two points around the hatch door which can be used to start the process. Once this is off, you will see a set of 4 or 5 torx screws which hold the light in place. These screws are not and do not needed to be torqued hard. However, I believe mine had a small amount of standard thread locker. You can then pull, or push through the service door in the hatch the light out. Moving to the wiring harness, it is a basic BMW clip which once again is not hard to determine. The new parts, whether they are US or EU, use the same connector as is already installed.

Initial Coding: Once the lights are installed, there will be an immediate error on the car. In order to code these errors out. One must enter BDC_Body. and enter expert mode. Once in expert mode, you will be presented with a number of modules, enter 3061. Once there change the following settings to the correct value where x is L and R. After you make the changes move up to the BDC_Body level (but do not exit it) and hit code to complete the coding.
BL_x_IS_LED - aktiv
BL_x_KURZSCHLUSS - nicht_aktiv
BL_x_WARMEURBERWACHUNG - nicht_aktiv
BL_x_KALTEURWACHUNG - nicht_aktiv
FRA_H_x_IS_LED - aktiv
FRA_H_x_KURZSCHLUSS - nicht_aktiv
FRA_H_x_WARMEURBERWACHUNG - nicht_aktiv
FRA_H_x_KALTEURWACHUNG - nicht_aktiv

For everyone's information, telling the car the light is LED will allow the system to correctly send the signal. Kurzschluss is the short circuit check. and the warmerber/kalteurwachung stops the lights from flickering on startup.

Coding Specific to US parts: I have been informed this has been wrong this whole time. When the US lights are installed in the pre-facelift car, the turn signal works separately from the brake light; however, when both are applied at the same time, the light stays on regardless of the turn signal to solve this. Under BDC_Body enter expert mode and enter 3064 and change. After you changed this setting, code it again.
MAPPING_BREMSL_2_x_OUTPUT - off fra_h_x
What is actually happening to the US lights is that the car is outputting brake signal to two locations and the second one outputs through the turn signal (which is the same physical output), so even though the turn signal output overwrites the brake output, that output is still always on during braking.
what has actually happened is that two digital outputs are physically wired together, so that both bfd_x and fra_h_x output to the brake lights. While this mapping goes to bfd_x it overwrites fra_h_ x output and you lose the turn signal. With both going to the same output of fra_h_x it prioritizes the turn signal.

Coding Specific to EU parts: The BFD must be coded to European style or turned off completely. Enter expert mode in BDC_Body and enter 3068. Change:
ESS_AKTIVIERBARER_AUSGANG - bremslicht_blinkend
Just doing this will cause an error any time you brake hard and the car will return to operating without BFD. Return to the list of numbered modules and enter 3064 and change:
MAPPING_BRAKEFORCED_1_x_OUTPUT - bl_x
The above will remove the error message. This is because the output at bl_x is an appropriate output. However, this output does not output to anywhere on the lights so the vertical brake lights on the UJ taillights will turn off completely during hard braking. Therefore, you must go back to the upper level and enter 3065 and change:
MAPPING_BRAKEFORCED_2_x_OUTPUT - bfd_x The outputs of bfd_x is the actual outputs that run to the vertical brake lights on the UJ lights. Code the system again.
Hi All,

I just had my car service (2018 JCW pre-LCI with LED) and they updated the car software with the latest one. The rear light error codes came back. I recoded the car to the solution above that worked great before but I am now unable to clear the error messages. Also, 3064-MAPPING_BREMSL_2_x_OUTPUT is not there anymore!!. Let me know if anybody has a solution.

Thanks

Old 09-01-2020, 03:30 PM
Walt
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Czptp Px
5. In bimmercode go to, BDC_BODY, 3065 Lcdlampmapping4 , MAPPING_BREMSL_2_L_OUTPUT , change from “sl_l” to “off”. Repeat for right side. This instructs the ECU to not light the tail light brighter when brake lights activated.
The quote made by @TristanJCW, had be going back up in this thread, and re-review some important posts.

I wonder if the BimmerCode value I am seeking, is the
MAPPING_BREMSL_2_L_OUTPUT one mentioned by @Czptp Px. I do want my tail light (the UJ part of the tail light) to be brighter when the brake lights are activated.

Am I reading this correctly?

Old 09-04-2020, 03:48 PM
Louise_255
Neutral
UJ lights NO BREAK LIGHTS

Originally Posted by eastport_mini
I installed my US Version Taillights and coded using Bimmercode.
I attached 2 images from coding and found that changes you stated were in a different file. I have a 2017 MCS. I just want to confirm the location of the changes that need to be made.
I have installed the UJ lights to my F57 convertible and I’ve done all the coding and I have no errors-however, I am not getting any brake lights? I don’t know why! I put the standard lights back on which is only giving me half a brake light (basically only have a circle and not a full brake light circle if that makes sense!) what could that be?

Old 04-07-2021, 11:49 PM
dshn
Neutral
Originally Posted by Mac_Mini
I have a US pre-lci F56 with aftermarket UJ lights from FunFob. They work perfectly out of the box. No coding, just plug and play. However, when I coded the rear fogs to work as brake lights it completely disables the brake lights of the UJ. Only the fogs turn on when I brake. Does anyone know how to fix that? I've asked multiple people with the same setup who have no issues but they just keep redirecting me to other people in fear of being liable for any coding issues.
Same problem. I did also buy them from FunFob. But I already coded fog lights as brake lights before, and when I put funfob lights there was no brake light. Did you solve the problem, should I reverse coding just fog lights?

Old 04-08-2021, 03:46 AM
dshn
Neutral
Solved

Originally Posted by SwoleMini18
Same problem, I just code fog lights back, now they off when I brake, and lights are working normaly.

Old 04-08-2021, 03:42 PM
Walt
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Louise_255
I put the standard lights back on which is only giving me half a brake light (basically only have a circle and not a full brake light circle if that makes sense!) what could that be?
Originally Posted by dshn
Same problem. I did also buy them from FunFob. But I already coded fog lights as brake lights before, and when I put funfob lights there was no brake light. Did you solve the problem, should I reverse coding just fog lights?
With my stock, non-UJ taillights, when I attempted to code the rear fog lights to work as additional brake lights too, I got the half-a-brake-light on my taillights problem Louise mentioned. I had to back off the coding changes, go back to the original settings, and give up on using my rear fog lights.

Old 04-28-2021, 08:43 AM
oqy1977
2nd Gear
Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts
UJ tail light coding for F5x is not the same as F60

bought the US Spec UJ tail lights for my 2019 F60 (preLCI) .

my original thread is here : LINK

i dont see the specific codes in order to make the turn lights take priority from the Brake lights when both are applied.

digging some codes in the bimmercode app, I can assume that this are the codes that need to be addressed?

I havent tried it just as yet. As I'm squeezing time between work and family and dont want to mess up my car coding.

Advise and help needed.

Old 05-09-2021, 02:58 PM
curlywurly
2nd Gear
Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts
I started troubleshooting your screen grabs and wondered why they dont follow dunkMs guide - that worked for me.

The i saw the car you are working on. F60!

Within the detail of LCI/non LCI/Euro and USA and official OEM and Chinese knock offs theres a path for most combos- but for F56s. You may be the first trialling this for F60.
Maybe build on the archived Union Jack retrifit story ./f56 known codes with a sub section for /f60

The following users liked this post:
oqy1977 (08-22-2021)
Old 08-21-2021, 04:31 PM
PUNK_AND_GOTH
Neutral
Question

Originally Posted by DunkM
FIRST NOTE: Please note I cannot respond to this post so if you have questions please PM me. If I am able to help solve it please post your problem and how we fixed it so we share with others.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: There has been a number of incorrect comments popping up about LED rear lights. The pre-facelift cars had two options, halogen lights, and a 3d LED/halogen blend artwork. Please see the link below to compare to your car. To be sure, if you have LED front lights, you have LED rear lights.
Pure Halogen (on right) vs. LED package (on left)
credit to gwernerjr

NOTE: Pre-facelift halogen cars use the same wiring harness connection, but only use 5 pins instead of 6 which requires a change to the wiring in order to retrofit. Therefore, you must relocate one of the pins to another location on the connector in order to output to the running lights. The instructions can be found on a post in this thread - Pre-facelift Halogen Retrofit Instructions
Credit to Czptp Px

NOTE: Post facelift cars now use the same connectors regardless of whether they are LED or halogen. Credit for this information and the specific additional coding required (seen below) to JonnyUSA.

Preface: This post is designed to cover all issues with installation/retrofit of the LCI Union Jack (UJ) tail lights in pre-facelift cars. There are two forms: the US part uses red-colored LEDs in all locations, with the verticle brake line and the horizontal rear turn signals integrated into one light. Meanwhile, the EU part has amber-colored LEDs in the horizontal turn signal and the vertical brake line is separate. Each coding is slightly different since the US brake/turn signal is hard-wired together. And the brake force display coded for US brakes would light up the turn signals amber, which does not suggest emergency to me, so one must reprogram it to work in the European way. It has come to my attention that the US cars no longer use BFD, and it has been turned off. I believe the process for the EU part should work to set the BFD for US parts as well. I will define the process using BimmerCode as I am going to make the assumption anyone willing to use ESYS will be able to work their way through this.

Install: (Cars with the LED exterior package) The physical install is extremely simple. Gently pry the chrome (or black) rings around the lights off the light by finding the points that clip in and applying pressure to pop them out. There are two points around the hatch door which can be used to start the process. Once this is off, you will see a set of 4 or 5 torx screws which hold the light in place. These screws are not and do not needed to be torqued hard. However, I believe mine had a small amount of standard thread locker. You can then pull, or push through the service door in the hatch the light out. Moving to the wiring harness, it is a basic BMW clip which once again is not hard to determine. The new parts, whether they are US or EU, use the same connector as is already installed.

Initial Coding: Once the lights are installed, there will be an immediate error on the car. In order to code these errors out. One must enter BDC_Body. and enter expert mode. Once in expert mode, you will be presented with a number of modules, enter 3061. Once there change the following settings to the correct value where x is L and R. After you make the changes move up to the BDC_Body level (but do not exit it) and hit code to complete the coding.
BL_x_IS_LED - aktiv
BL_x_KURZSCHLUSS - nicht_aktiv
BL_x_WARMEURBERWACHUNG - nicht_aktiv
BL_x_KALTEURWACHUNG - nicht_aktiv
FRA_H_x_IS_LED - aktiv
FRA_H_x_KURZSCHLUSS - nicht_aktiv
FRA_H_x_WARMEURBERWACHUNG - nicht_aktiv
FRA_H_x_KALTEURWACHUNG - nicht_aktiv

For everyone's information, telling the car the light is LED will allow the system to correctly send the signal. Kurzschluss is the short circuit check. and the warmerber/kalteurwachung stops the lights from flickering on startup.

Coding Specific to US parts: I have been informed this has been wrong this whole time. When the US lights are installed in the pre-facelift car, the turn signal works separately from the brake light; however, when both are applied at the same time, the light stays on regardless of the turn signal to solve this. Under BDC_Body enter expert mode and enter 3064 and change. After you changed this setting, code it again.
MAPPING_BREMSL_2_x_OUTPUT - off fra_h_x
What is actually happening to the US lights is that the car is outputting brake signal to two locations and the second one outputs through the turn signal (which is the same physical output), so even though the turn signal output overwrites the brake output, that output is still always on during braking.
what has actually happened is that two digital outputs are physically wired together, so that both bfd_x and fra_h_x output to the brake lights. While this mapping goes to bfd_x it overwrites fra_h_ x output and you lose the turn signal. With both going to the same output of fra_h_x it prioritizes the turn signal.

Coding Specific to EU parts: The BFD must be coded to European style or turned off completely. Enter expert mode in BDC_Body and enter 3068. Change:
ESS_AKTIVIERBARER_AUSGANG - bremslicht_blinkend
Just doing this will cause an error any time you brake hard and the car will return to operating without BFD. Return to the list of numbered modules and enter 3064 and change:
MAPPING_BRAKEFORCED_1_x_OUTPUT - bl_x
The above will remove the error message. This is because the output at bl_x is an appropriate output. However, this output does not output to anywhere on the lights so the vertical brake lights on the UJ taillights will turn off completely during hard braking. Therefore, you must go back to the upper level and enter 3065 and change:
MAPPING_BRAKEFORCED_2_x_OUTPUT - bfd_x The outputs of bfd_x is the actual outputs that run to the vertical brake lights on the UJ lights. Code the system again.

after the dealer updated my 2018 F56s PRE-LCI all the bimmer code settings were erased . i re did it all again for my us spec union jack tail lights . but now if i hit the brakes with the hazards/ 4ways on the car freaks out . when hitting the brakes with the hazards on they will flash 3 times then brake lights override . did i miss a new setting somewhere? cars software version is F056-21-03-574 And it was on F056-17-11-540

Old 11-17-2021, 10:03 AM
Fatalix
Neutral
Does any of you know the parameters for R58 2014? Having troubles coding out brake light errors left and right after UJ tail light retrofit. Thanks

Old 11-17-2021, 10:29 AM
michaelo
3rd Gear
Received 137 Likes on 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Fatalix
Does any of you know the parameters for R58 2014? Having troubles coding out brake light errors left and right after UJ tail light retrofit. Thanks
Did you install the OEM lights that require coding or aftermarket plug and play lights that do not require any coding?

Old 01-15-2022, 07:27 PM
dubdub
Neutral
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I’m trying to follow DunkM’s post, but I’m not getting the correct result. I welcome any and all suggestions.

I’m in Canada and have a ‘22 F56 base model LCI2 that came with OEM Union Jack tail lights and I’m trying to install the European/UK Union Jack tail lights (with amber turn signals). I can install them but I can’t get them to use the horizontal part of the light. I don’t get any errors at any point in the process, even without any coding.

The result I'm seeing is just the vertical light being used for the turn signal and brake light. The UK lights basically behave like the US lights, just without the horizontal bar. (I've attached videos below.)

The wiring harness has six wires for the connector so I didn't re-pin anything. Should I still re-pin something? What am I missing?

Videos

US lights, stock:

Euro spec lights, with DunkM's coding:

Coding

I have tried a few things, restoring from backup before each:
  1. No coding (I don't get any errors)
  2. DunkM's post verbatim (Initial coding + EU specific)
  3. The following
Here's my last attempt, along with the stock/default values, for context:

Parts

US, stock: 63217435135 and 63217435136

EU/UK lights: 63217435133 and 63217435134

The following 2 users liked this post by dubdub:
fishbert (10-23-2022), IrishCooper (04-17-2022)

Quick Reply: Union Jack Taillights