3rd Gen FAQs 3rd Gen Common Questions & Answers!

Union Jack Taillights

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2019, 07:40 PM
6FT6
4th Gear
Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts
These are my settings in Basic, if needed ill check Expert

Also did you do these:

Therefore, in order to code BFD for the US cars, and this should work to change BFD on pre LCI cars too.

One must enter BDC_Body and edit the FDL file.

Then you must enter 3068, and change
ESS_AKTIVIERBARER_AUSGANG from flaechenvergroesserung (expanded area) to bremslicht_blinkend (brake light flashing)

Then 3064 and change
MAPPING_BRAKEFORCED_1_L_OUTPUT from fra_h_l (back blinker) to bl_l (brake light?)
MAPPING_BRAKEFORCED_1_R_OUTPUT from fra_h_r to bl_r,
Note:this output does not make light occur anywhere on the LCI lights, may be different on the other lights.

The above will remove the error message that occurs when you just change expanded area to brake light flashing. However, as said above, it is not safe because the brake lights on the UJ taillights turn off completely.

Therefore, you must go into 3065 and change,

MAPPING_BRAKEFORCED_2_L_OUTPUT from off to bfd_l (I can only assume brake force display)
MAPPING_BRAKEFORCED_2_R_OUTPUT from off to bfd_r

That pretty much covers what I did. I also confirmed that the output pwm functions matched between MAPPING_BRAKEFORCED_2_L_OUTPUT and MAPPING_BREMSL_2_L_OUTPUT, as those are the regular brake output mapping data.

Finally, the additional thing I did was change
ESS_BLINKFREQ_1 and ESS_BLINKFREQ_2 from 3 hz to 5 hz, this changes the flashing frequency. I did this at the suggest of the BMW coding forums, because the increased frequency pretty much can only suggest warning. as it would be impossible to pump the brakes that fast.

Also:-

eastport_mini[img]images/statusicon/user_offline.gif[/img]

2nd Gear

i coded the above from bfd to fra_h
both right and left.
That removed the brake light function from lighting over the turn signal
so now the brake light doesn’t light on the side that the turn signal is flashing on.
You still have the brake light on the other side and on the high stop light.

Last edited by 6FT6; 09-26-2019 at 07:52 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Peter Greene (02-22-2021)
Old 09-26-2019, 08:30 PM
Czptp Px
1st Gear
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
I have Halogen bulb headlights. Original taillights were also bulb, not LED. Brake and turn signals work fine, no errors.

Car 2017 F55 base, Halogen headlights and taillights
US parts: 63217435135 and 63217435136

Tried this coding first, no luck:

BL_x_IS_LED - aktiv
BL_x_KURZSCHLUSS - nicht_aktiv
BL_x_WARMEURBERWACHUNG - nicht_aktiv
BL_x_KALTEURWACHUNG - nicht_aktiv
FRA_H_x_IS_LED - aktiv
FRA_H_x_KURZSCHLUSS - nicht_aktiv

ESS_AKTIVIERBARER_AUSGANG from flaechenvergroesserung (expanded area) to bremslicht_blinkend (brake light flashing)

Then 3064 and change
MAPPING_BRAKEFORCED_1_L_OUTPUT from fra_h_l (back blinker) to bl_l (brake light?)
MAPPING_BRAKEFORCED_1_R_OUTPUT from fra_h_r to bl_r,

3065 and change,
MAPPING_BRAKEFORCED_2_L_OUTPUT from off to bfd_l (I can only assume brake force display)
MAPPING_BRAKEFORCED_2_R_OUTPUT from off to bfd_r
FRA_H_x_WARMEURBERWACHUNG - nicht_aktiv
FRA_H_x_KALTEURWACHUNG - nicht_aktiv

Then
MAPPING_BREMSL_2_l/r_OUTPUT FRA H l/r

When above didn't work, reverted back to stock. Used basic mode only. Same outcome.

Still the same. Haven't lit up the diagonal union jack yet.

Thank you very much for the pics. I'll try to go back through tomorrow and see if I missed something.

Old 09-26-2019, 08:32 PM
Czptp Px
1st Gear
And to answer my own question, I found an answer from https://www.minif56.com/threads/new-....79058/page-11 post 209 from Deviousminigod thanks to another from Binary in the same thread. US Union Jack in a non LED car is accomplished by switching a pin on the adapter. Will try that this weekend.

curlywurly (09-27-2019)
Old 09-27-2019, 10:32 AM
6FT6
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Czptp Px
And to answer my own question, I found an answer from https://www.minif56.com/threads/new-....79058/page-11 post 209 from Deviousminigod thanks to another from Binary in the same thread. US Union Jack in a non LED car is accomplished by switching a pin on the adapter. Will try that this weekend.
Nice

118 (08-12-2020)
Old 09-27-2019, 10:39 PM
Czptp Px
1st Gear
Applies to pre-facelift F55 with US Union Jack taillights, front and rear halogen OEM prior to swap. Union Jack will not light up if original taillights were bulb originally. It requires a simple pin exchange on the harness. Try not to pull hard on the wire. It has a clip to press down in the window near the purple retainer clip prior to pulling. Remove the blank in pin 5 prior to placing the wire from pin 1 in it.

Slide this retainer clip up, remove wire from first pin (top pin in this picture) by pressing down on the part of the metal seen in the harness to release it and place in pin slot number 5 after removing blank rubber in pin slot 5 (I used a small wood screw in the rubber stopper to remove it). Close/slide retainer clip back in place.

Left after switching from pin 1 to pin 5. Right still has the pins as originally shipped.

Coded this as per Deviousminigod instructions:
4. In bimmercode go to, BDC_BODY, 3065 Lcdlampmapping4 , MAPPING_STANDL_H2_L_OUTPUT , change from “bl_l” to “off”. Repeat for right. This instructs the ECU to not light the brake light as the second tail light.
5. In bimmercode go to, BDC_BODY, 3065 Lcdlampmapping4 , MAPPING_BREMSL_2_L_OUTPUT , change from “sl_l” to “off”. Repeat for right side. This instructs the ECU to not light the tail light brighter when brake lights activated.

Pin swap was much easier than removing the trim ring around the taillights. Took about 10 minutes for both sides for the pin swap. Helps significantly to have the upholstery tool to remove the trim ring.
Thank you everyone for the help.

Last edited by Czptp Px; 09-28-2019 at 12:36 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by Czptp Px:
6FT6 (09-29-2019), bluonyx (05-18-2020), curlywurly (09-28-2019), ECSTuning (10-02-2019), Juice84 (09-30-2019), Smittysweets (06-08-2020) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-08-2020, 10:34 AM
emulajavi
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DunkM
FIRST NOTE: Please note I cannot respond to this post so if you have questions please PM me. If I am able to help solve it please post your problem and how we fixed it so we share with others.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: There has been a number of incorrect comments popping up about LED rear lights. The pre-facelift cars had two options, halogen lights, and a 3d LED/halogen blend artwork. Please see the link below to compare to your car. To be sure, if you have LED front lights, you have LED rear lights.
Pure Halogen (on right) vs. LED package (on left)
credit to gwernerjr

NOTE: Pre-facelift halogen cars use the same wiring harness connection, but only use 5 pins instead of 6 which requires a change to the wiring in order to retrofit. Therefore, you must relocate one of the pins to another location on the connector in order to output to the running lights. The instructions can be found on a post in this thread - Pre-facelift Halogen Retrofit Instructions
Credit to Czptp Px

NOTE: Post facelift cars now use the same connectors regardless of whether they are LED or halogen. Credit for this information and the specific additional coding required (seen below) to JonnyUSA.

Hi. Great post!!

Is it possible to fit the pre-LCI LED rear lights into a LCI-car that has UJ rear lights??

And to fit them (pre-LCI LED rear lights) into a pre-LCI car that has halogen rear lights??

Thanks!

Last edited by emulajavi; 01-08-2020 at 10:53 AM.
Old 01-14-2020, 02:02 PM
Bezlar
3rd Gear
Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts
2016 f56 led headlights. Not sure about the rear. They look like the ones in this photo. I’m looking at the uk version of the lights. Was wondering if these part numbers are right and will I be able to get the coding done using my bimmer code app. Thanks for the help.

Last edited by Bezlar; 01-14-2020 at 02:15 PM.
Old 01-20-2020, 02:47 PM
curlywurly
2nd Gear
Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts
Q. 1 Should do
Q.2 Highly likely

To confirm for sure and remove any doubht - contact mini UK and get the OEM mini part number.
If it matches the 11 digit ones from the on line ad you know they will fit physically - and will likely need some coding

Old 01-23-2020, 03:40 PM
Bezlar
3rd Gear
Ok so mine is a 2016 f56 s. Led head lights and bulb tail lights. My plug had all 6 wires. Swapped in the uk version of the lights and only coding I did was change all rear bulbs to led and change them to not active. Everything works great. Don’t care about the brake force. I might add the rear fogs as brake lights also just for a little more safety. Undecided. Thanks to the guys that put all the info in here.

Old 03-04-2020, 03:13 AM
robby71
2nd Gear
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Bezlar
Ok so mine is a 2016 f56 s. Led head lights and bulb tail lights. My plug had all 6 wires. Swapped in the uk version of the lights and only coding I did was change all rear bulbs to led and change them to not active. Everything works great. Don’t care about the brake force. I might add the rear fogs as brake lights also just for a little more safety. Undecided. Thanks to the guys that put all the info in here.
I've just ordered a pair of UJ lights (i'm in UK) and removed my old ones yesterday to look at the connectors.
My car is an early 2018 with led headlights and foglights and also have 6 wires in each rear lights plug and although the lights have bulbs there is also a circuit board?
I checked with Bimmercode and the tail lights are already showing as led (weird?) so i should be able to just plug in the new lights and set all cold and warm monitoring to disable and everything should work?
are yours still working perfectly?

This is the connector on my early 2018

Last edited by robby71; 03-04-2020 at 11:55 AM.
Old 03-04-2020, 02:06 PM
Bezlar
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by robby71
I've just ordered a pair of UJ lights (i'm in UK) and removed my old ones yesterday to look at the connectors.
My car is an early 2018 with led headlights and foglights and also have 6 wires in each rear lights plug and although the lights have bulbs there is also a circuit board?
I checked with Bimmercode and the tail lights are already showing as led (weird?) so i should be able to just plug in the new lights and set all cold and warm monitoring to disable and everything should work?
are yours still working perfectly?

This is the connector on my early 2018

thats how mine was. Couple of the lights where already marked led in the coding. I just set the rest to led and did the warm montering. Everything still works great. No problems.

Old 03-04-2020, 02:20 PM
robby71
2nd Gear
Some of mine are marked as led as well even though they're all bulbs - must be something to do with the circuit board in there as older ones don't have that?
Glad to know i just have to alter in Bimmercode so no messing with the plug - dealer could play silly if i had an electrical issue in the future and might blame it on me for altering the wiring and void warranty

Old 03-05-2020, 11:11 AM
xentar
2nd Gear
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
If you have the LED head lights and fog lamps that means you have the semi-LED tail lights. The inner circle piping is LED (which is your tail light) then the rest like the brake, turn signals and reverse lights are halogens.

Old 03-09-2020, 11:49 AM
robby71
2nd Gear
Lights fitted and all monitoring coded to not active and working perfectly - another job well done

Old 03-10-2020, 11:17 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,971 Likes on 1,771 Posts
Originally Posted by Bezlar
2016 f56 led headlights. Not sure about the rear. They look like the ones in this photo. I’m looking at the uk version of the lights. Was wondering if these part numbers are right and will I be able to get the coding done using my bimmer code app. Thanks for the help.

https://www.ecstuning.com/Search/Sit...h/63217435133/

These are it.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 03-27-2020, 02:52 AM
kfmuller
4th Gear
Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts
I installed my Euro versions on 04/27/2018 - second post in the thread. I coded everything with Bimmercode, and no errors for nearly 2 years. Now, all of a sudden I'm getting an error on Bimmerlink. I clear the error, turn car off and back on, and the error is there again. Just wondering if anyone else has seen this. I did a search of the code, saw I few BMW forums mention it, but not really able to narrow it down. All my lights are working as they have since day one. The error is 8041C3 Lampmapping failed. Thanks

Old 03-27-2020, 02:53 AM
kfmuller
4th Gear
Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts
Old 03-27-2020, 06:22 AM
michaelo
3rd Gear
Received 137 Likes on 92 Posts
I believe the reverse lights have bulbs (not 100% sure) - maybe it's a loose bulb or about it's to fail thus causing a weak signal.

Old 03-27-2020, 06:57 AM
robby71
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by michaelo
I believe the reverse lights have bulbs (not 100% sure) - maybe it's a loose bulb or about it's to fail thus causing a weak signal.
Yes the reverse light uses a bulb in all versions of rear lights inc the flag lights. I fitted a LED bulb into mine and this brought on a warning message on the dash when i coded the reverse light to led even though the bulb was working, i then changed the setting back to bulb (using Bimmercode) and the warning stopped and light still works

Old 03-29-2020, 08:19 PM
maaii
2nd Gear
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
Hi Sir

I saw this error code (8041C2) before. I changed the wrong items of PWM setting from "PWM" to "fixed".

MAPPING_BLINKEN_2_H_L_FIXED_PWM
MAPPING_BLINKEN_2_H_R_FIXED_PWM
MAPPING_BRAKEFORCED_1_L_FIXED_PWM
MAPPING_BRAKEFORCED_1_R_FIXED_PWM
MAPPING_BREMSL_1_L_FIXED_PWM
MAPPING_BREMSL_1_R_FIXED_PWM
MAPPING_RUECKFAHRL_L_FIXED_PWM
MAPPING_RUECKFAHRL_R_FIXED_PWM

This errors 8041c2 didn't show on CID screen, but it will always show on ISTA. you can't delete it.

Last edited by maaii; 03-29-2020 at 08:25 PM.
Old 06-08-2020, 07:40 AM
Smittysweets
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did my very first mod to my car.... I installed the Union Jack taillights... they look amazing... thanks for your post it was very helpful... I did the pin swap just as you instructed.. thank you thank you thank you!!! specially for the images.

Old 06-08-2020, 07:42 AM
Smittysweets
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Thank you!!

Originally Posted by Czptp Px
Applies to pre-facelift F55 with US Union Jack taillights, front and rear halogen OEM prior to swap. Union Jack will not light up if original taillights were bulb originally. It requires a simple pin exchange on the harness. Try not to pull hard on the wire. It has a clip to press down in the window near the purple retainer clip prior to pulling. Remove the blank in pin 5 prior to placing the wire from pin 1 in it.

Slide this retainer clip up, remove wire from first pin (top pin in this picture) by pressing down on the part of the metal seen in the harness to release it and place in pin slot number 5 after removing blank rubber in pin slot 5 (I used a small wood screw in the rubber stopper to remove it). Close/slide retainer clip back in place.

Left after switching from pin 1 to pin 5. Right still has the pins as originally shipped.

Coded this as per Deviousminigod instructions:
4. In bimmercode go to, BDC_BODY, 3065 Lcdlampmapping4 , MAPPING_STANDL_H2_L_OUTPUT , change from “bl_l” to “off”. Repeat for right. This instructs the ECU to not light the brake light as the second tail light.
5. In bimmercode go to, BDC_BODY, 3065 Lcdlampmapping4 , MAPPING_BREMSL_2_L_OUTPUT , change from “sl_l” to “off”. Repeat for right side. This instructs the ECU to not light the tail light brighter when brake lights activated.

Pin swap was much easier than removing the trim ring around the taillights. Took about 10 minutes for both sides for the pin swap. Helps significantly to have the upholstery tool to remove the trim ring.
Thank you everyone for the help.
I did my very first mod to my car.... I installed the Union Jack taillights... they look amazing... thanks for your post it was very helpful... I did the pin swap just as you instructed.. thank you thank you thank you!!! specially for the images.

Old 06-16-2020, 10:25 AM
Mac_Mini
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a US pre-lci F56 with aftermarket UJ lights from FunFob. They work perfectly out of the box. No coding, just plug and play. However, when I coded the rear fogs to work as brake lights it completely disables the brake lights of the UJ. Only the fogs turn on when I brake. Does anyone know how to fix that? I've asked multiple people with the same setup who have no issues but they just keep redirecting me to other people in fear of being liable for any coding issues.

Old 06-19-2020, 04:28 PM
SwoleMini18
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it normal for the lights to flicker unevenly when shutting them off?

They operate perfectly otherwise.

I bought the kill all chrome EU UJ lights and have a US 2017 JCW F56

Old 06-19-2020, 08:14 PM
6FT6
4th Gear
Originally Posted by SwoleMini18
Is it normal for the lights to flicker unevenly when shutting them off?

They operate perfectly otherwise.

I bought the kill all chrome EU UJ lights and have a US 2017 JCW F56
Shouldn't ever flicker.

Quick Reply: Union Jack Taillights