Union Jack Taillights - North American Motoring

3rd Gen FAQs 3rd Gen Common Questions & Answers!

Union Jack Taillights

Old 04-27-2018, 07:31 AM
3rd Gear

Union Jack Taillights

Note: this solves the issue with the Euro part numbers with amber turns signals.
Hi everyone,

Edit. SOLVED
Alright,

For my big finale, the coding for EU market UJ taillights is actually surprisingly simple.

The first thing I had to realize is that there are two sets of mapping data. In other words, our cars are smart enough to output into two places with one input.

This led me to realize that the brake lights (vertical part of taillights) are coded as bfd_l and bfd_r.

Therefore, in order to code BFD for the US cars, and this should work to change BFD on pre LCI cars too.

One must enter BDC_Body and edit the FDL file.

Then you must enter 3068, and change
ESS_AKTIVIERBARER_AUSGANG from flaechenvergroesserung (expanded area) to bremslicht_blinkend (brake light flashing)

Then 3064 and change
MAPPING_BRAKEFORCED_1_L_OUTPUT from fra_h_l (back blinker) to bl_l (brake light?)
MAPPING_BRAKEFORCED_1_R_OUTPUT from fra_h_r to bl_r,
Note:this output does not make light occur anywhere on the LCI lights, may be different on the other lights.

The above will remove the error message that occurs when you just change expanded area to brake light flashing. However, as said above, it is not safe because the brake lights on the UJ taillights turn off completely.

Therefore, you must go into 3065 and change,

MAPPING_BRAKEFORCED_2_L_OUTPUT from off to bfd_l (I can only assume brake force display)
MAPPING_BRAKEFORCED_2_R_OUTPUT from off to bfd_r

That pretty much covers what I did. I also confirmed that the output pwm functions matched between MAPPING_BRAKEFORCED_2_L_OUTPUT and MAPPING_BREMSL_2_L_OUTPUT, as those are the regular brake output mapping data.

Finally, the additional thing I did was change
ESS_BLINKFREQ_1 and ESS_BLINKFREQ_2 from 3 hz to 5 hz, this changes the flashing frequency. I did this at the suggest of the BMW coding forums, because the increased frequency pretty much can only suggest warning. as it would be impossible to pump the brakes that fast.

Disclaimer: my car was already built with LED taillights. Therefore, if you plan on upgrading to the LED taillights from halogen, you may need change additional data.

Disclaimer 2: I'm not responsible if you somehow code something different from me and are rear ended or anything else. We are dealing with very important car functions, and it is possible to code out and turn off your brake lights completely, in fact I did at one point.

P.S. The issue that American part number people are having is probably related to the mapping output for brakelights, as the system is applying the brake signal to both.
P.S.S. My car currently does not turn on the hazards when hard braking and coming to a stop, will look into coding that this week.

Last edited by DunkM; 05-09-2018 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Fixed Problem
Old 04-27-2018, 10:59 AM
4th Gear

Got the British lights installed on my car, too, so I'm interested in getting the necessary parameters set up for the Brake Force Display. Currently, got the warning lights coded out. When I attempted to code for flashing BFD, I received a bulb error. So, I went back to the Extended display, which lights up the 2 indicator lights along with the normal brake lights during heaving braking. I'd like to do something that would allow flashing.
Old 04-28-2018, 08:22 AM
3rd Gear

I have solved the problem tentatively. I will confirm and do a write up tomorrow!
Old 04-28-2018, 09:46 AM
6th Gear

MINIs do not have a second set of brake lights as a BMW to activate, hence MINI activates the turn signal bulb to expand the brake lamp area (area enlargement)
In a BMW that second set of brake lamps also flash during ABS braking.

What you are not aware of, is that during an accident (in a MINI) the turn signals flash automatically.
Setting the BFD to flash interferes with that function, hence the error.
The Following User Says Thank You to TVPostSound For This Useful Post:
bratling (04-29-2018)
Old 04-29-2018, 05:11 AM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVPostSound View Post
MINIs do not have a second set of brake lights as a BMW to activate, hence MINI activates the turn signal bulb to expand the brake lamp area (area enlargement)

What you are not aware of, is that during an accident (in a MINI) the turn signals flash automatically.
Do they use the turn signals as BFD in Europe/UK? That wouldn't make sense since the turn signals on that side of the Atlantic are amber.
Old 04-30-2018, 05:23 AM
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVPostSound View Post

In US BMWs the second set of brake lights are actually the unactivated rear fog lights. Which is one of the major reasons BMW does not offer rear fogs on their cars in the US.

Also, it is not just that that causes error but also setting the brake force mapping to the taillights, what comes on when you turn your lights on. I believe it is because the setting for bremshlicht_blinkend literally specifies brakes.
Old 04-30-2018, 06:29 AM
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBCGLX View Post
Do they use the turn signals as BFD in Europe/UK? That wouldn't make sense since the turn signals on that side of the Atlantic are amber.
No, they change the extended area to flashing and the brake lights flash.
Old 04-30-2018, 08:01 AM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunkM View Post
No, they change the extended area to flashing and the brake lights flash.
I tried changing mine to flash - I have the European UJ version, and it indeed flashes the turn signals for the Brake Force Display. The problem I have is that it throws up an bulb failure error on my center screen, and I don't know why. I've coded out all the other bulb failure errors based on the LEDs installation. Wish I could figure this one out. Probably something I need to do in expert mode, but I don't know what it is.

As it is now - If the brake force is activated - it lights up both turn signals as solid along with the brake lights since I set it back to extended area.
Old 04-30-2018, 08:04 AM
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfmuller View Post
I tried changing mine to flash - I have the European UJ version, and it indeed flashes the turn signals for the Brake Force Display. The problem I have is that it throws up an bulb failure error on my center screen, and I don't know why. I've coded out all the other bulb failure errors based on the LEDs installation. Wish I could figure this one out. Probably something I need to do in expert mode, but I don't know what it is.

As it is now - If the brake force is activated - it lights up both turn signals as solid along with the brake lights since I set it back to extended area.
I have figured it out. I am actually in the middle of writing up the required steps and making sure I cover everything as I am always a bit hesitant to put coding like this out on the internet. I should get it posted tonight. (Wanted to yesterday but was pulled too many different directions.
Old 04-30-2018, 08:44 AM
1st Gear

Quote:
I have figured it out. I am actually in the middle of writing up the required steps and making sure I cover everything as I am always a bit hesitant to put coding like this out on the internet. I should get it posted tonight. (Wanted to yesterday but was pulled too many different directions.

you rock! out of curiosity did your car have LED or halogen tails?

I saw references to the UJ tails having two separate part numbers. Which did you get?
Old 04-30-2018, 02:40 PM
3rd Gear

Updated the original post.

As a note, I have the british part numbers. ending in 3 and 4, I believe.
Old 04-30-2018, 03:52 PM
1st Gear

To clarify, you retrofitted the UJ lights into a US car that had the old LED lights? And, now that you've coded everything, the lights function as they do in Europe/UK; i.e., the turn signals and brake lights are separate functions? And, you've got the brake force display working properly?
Old 04-30-2018, 03:54 PM
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBCGLX
To clarify, you retrofitted the UJ lights into a US car that had the old LED lights? And, now that you've coded everything, the lights function as they do in Europe/UK; i.e., the turn signals and brake lights are separate functions? And, you've got the brake force display working properly?
Yes, to all.
Old 04-30-2018, 04:03 PM
1st Gear

Did you make the coding changes with E-sys, or Bimmercode?
Old 04-30-2018, 04:04 PM
3rd Gear

E-sys, but I am guessing expert mode in bimmercode can do this as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to DunkM For This Useful Post:
NBCGLX (04-30-2018)
Old 04-30-2018, 04:29 PM
1st Gear

Where is the best place to get the new taillights?

TIA
Old 05-01-2018, 01:23 PM
6th Gear

Quote:
Hi everyone,

Edit. SOLVED
Alright,

P.S.S. My car currently does not turn on the hazards when hard braking and coming to a stop, will look into coding that this week.
That would entail coding BFD 2.

Now did you code the 3rd brake light for blinken on BFD 1?

I know this is Gen3
As a reference, I CAN confirm my previous Gen2 blinks hazards after a collision!!!
Even without bags deflating.
Old 05-01-2018, 01:42 PM
6th Gear

One more thing, have you done a full on panic stop from over 45 mph?
Using ABS to come to a full stop.
To see if the hazards activate?

I remember something about WB_GB_ENABLE is set to aktiv.
3060 or somewhere there.
Programming my Navy Daughters US BMW when she was stationed in Naples.
Old 05-01-2018, 02:20 PM
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVPostSound
One more thing, have you done a full on panic stop from over 45 mph?
Using ABS to come to a full stop.
To see if the hazards activate?

I remember something about WB_GB_ENABLE is set to aktiv.
3060 or somewhere there.
Programming my Navy Daughters US BMW when she was stationed in Naples.
I have tested and it does not. That is what I will look for when I get a chance to code again, possibly tonight.
Old 05-01-2018, 02:23 PM
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVPostSound
That would entail coding BFD 2.

Now did you code the 3rd brake light for blinken on BFD 1?

I know this is Gen3
As a reference, I CAN confirm my previous Gen2 blinks hazards after a collision!!!
Even without bags deflating.
It is already turned on under BFD 1 because bfd represents a different output from braking, it has to be programmed in already or your 3rd brake light would not come on at all.

Changing the code to bremschlict_blinkend already applies to the middle light.
Old 05-01-2018, 07:38 PM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Hi everyone,

Edit. SOLVED
Alright,

For my big finale, the coding for EU market UJ taillights is actually surprisingly simple.

The first thing I had to realize is that there are two sets of mapping data. In other words, our cars are smart enough to output into two places with one input.

This led me to realize that the brake lights (vertical part of taillights) are coded as bfd_l and bfd_r.

Therefore, in order to code BFD for the US cars, and this should work to change BFD on pre LCI cars too.

One must enter BDC_Body and edit the FDL file.

Then you must enter 3068, and change
ESS_AKTIVIERBARER_AUSGANG from flaechenvergroesserung (expanded area) to bremslicht_blinkend (brake light flashing)

Then 3064 and change
MAPPING_BRAKEFORCED_1_L_DISABLE_OUTPUT from fra_h_l (back blinker) to bl_l (brake light?)
MAPPING_BRAKEFORCED_1_R_DISABLE_OUTPUT from fra_h_r to bl_r,
Note:this output does not make light occur anywhere on the LCI lights, may be different on the other lights.

The above will remove the error message that occurs when you just change expanded area to brake light flashing. However, as said above, it is not safe because the brake lights on the UJ taillights turn off completely.

Therefore, you must go into 3065 and change,

MAPPING_BRAKEFORCED_2_L_OUTPUT from off to bfd_l (I can only assume brake force display)
MAPPING_BRAKEFORCED_2_R_OUTPUT from off to bfd_r

That pretty much covers what I did. I also confirmed that the output pwm functions matched between MAPPING_BRAKEFORCED_2_L_OUTPUT and MAPPING_BREMSL_2_L_OUTPUT, as those are the regular brake output mapping data.

Finally, the additional thing I did was change
ESS_BLINKFREQ_1 and ESS_BLINKFREQ_2 from 3 hz to 5 hz, this changes the flashing frequency. I did this at the suggest of the BMW coding forums, because the increased frequency pretty much can only suggest warning. as it would be impossible to pump the brakes that fast.

Disclaimer: my car was already built with LED taillights. Therefore, if you plan on upgrading to the LED taillights from halogen, you may need change additional data.

Disclaimer 2: I'm not responsible if you somehow code something different from me and are rear ended or anything else. We are dealing with very important car functions, and it is possible to code out and turn off your brake lights completely, in fact I did at one point.

P.S. The issue that American part number people are having is probably related to the mapping output for brakelights, as the system is applying the brake signal to both.

I installed my US Version Taillights and coded using Bimmercode.
I attached 2 images from coding and found that changes you stated were in a different file. I have a 2017 MCS. I just want to confirm the location of the changes that need to be made.
Attached Thumbnails
Union Jack Taillights-mini-taillights-1.jpg   Union Jack Taillights-mini-taillights-2.jpg  
The Following User Says Thank You to eastport_mini For This Useful Post:
NinerfanWI (05-02-2018)
Old 05-01-2018, 09:13 PM
6th Gear

Quote:

Then 3064 and change
MAPPING_BRAKEFORCED_1_L_OUTPUT from fra_h_l (back blinker) to bl_l (brake light?)
MAPPING_BRAKEFORCED_1_R_OUTPUT from fra_h_r to bl_r
Using only this coding above.
In theory for the NON UJ taillights, this reroutes the blinkend to the turn signals.
It disables the brake lights from flashing and makes the turn indicators flash.
Thus removing the error.

Last edited by TVPostSound; 05-02-2018 at 08:04 AM.
Old 05-01-2018, 10:44 PM
2nd Gear

I was just out working on this.
I have the running lights working correctly.
The Brake Lights are Inner ( -l ) portion of the lights.
Is that correct?
The Turn Signals flash the ( -l ) section correctly.
But the Brake Lights over Light the Turn signals when the brakes are applied.
The Turn Signal is still flashing but the brake light is brighter.
Shouldn't the brake light function be disabled when a turn signal is operating?
Should the Brake lights be the same as the running lights but only brighter ?
Attached Thumbnails
Union Jack Taillights-mini-taillights-4.jpg   Union Jack Taillights-mini-taillights-3.jpg  

Last edited by eastport_mini; 05-02-2018 at 06:30 AM. Reason: Added Photos
Old 05-02-2018, 07:49 AM
6th Gear

I understood the vertical was brake light the horizontal was turn signal.
Brake lights don't go off during signal.
Old 05-02-2018, 07:59 AM
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastport_mini View Post
I installed my US Version Taillights and coded using Bimmercode.
I attached 2 images from coding and found that changes you stated were in a different file. I have a 2017 MCS. I just want to confirm the location of the changes that need to be made.
Hey,

I apologize, it looks like you caught a miscopy in my typing.
so
"Then 3064 and change
MAPPING_BRAKEFORCED_1_L_DISABLE_OUTPUT from fra_h_l (back blinker) to bl_l (brake light?)
MAPPING_BRAKEFORCED_1_R_DISABLE_OUTPUT from fra_h_r"

Should read

"MAPPING_BRAKEFORCED_1_L_OUTPUT from fra_h_l (back blinker) to bl_l (brake light?)
MAPPING_BRAKEFORCED_1_R_OUTPUT from fra_h_r to bl_r, "

I have also edited my original post as well.

Last edited by DunkM; 05-02-2018 at 08:00 AM. Reason: clarity