3rd Gen FAQs 3rd Gen Common Questions & Answers!

Union Jack Taillights

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 08:02 AM
eastport_mini
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Right now both the vertical bar and the horizontal bar work in unison both during braking and turn signal functions.

Old 05-02-2018, 08:04 AM
DunkM
4th Gear
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by TVPostSound
Using only this coding above.
In theory for the NON UJ taillights, this reroutes the blinkend to the turn signals.
It disables the brake lights from flashing and makes the turn indicators flash.
Thus removing the error.
You are almost right.

changing to bl_l and bl_r routes that output to nothing on brakes, the system does not see power where it shouldn't and is happy.

Please note I miscopied an esys prompt and it should be MAPPING_BRAKEFORCED_1_L_OUTPUT and MAPPING_BRAKEFORCED_1_R_OUTPUT

Old 05-02-2018, 08:06 AM
kfmuller
4th Gear
Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts
I think I'm going to leave mine as-is right now. Mine are the Euro version of the UJ tail lights. My 2016 JCW has the LED lighting option. The tail lights plugged right in, and I just had to code the lights as LEDs, and to not monitor them. I don't get any errors or flickering, and the indicators work independent of the brake lights. My brake force display is currently set at expanded area - which will light up the turn signals along with the brakes under heavy braking. I'd like to get the flash working, but don't want to mess what I currently have up.

Old 05-02-2018, 08:06 AM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Received 517 Likes on 431 Posts
That just blew my theory!!

If blinked is set to turn signal, why would everyone get an error? (Non UJ)

Old 05-02-2018, 08:10 AM
eastport_mini
2nd Gear
No Worries,
Just passing along what I found when I was doing my Coding.
Things get confusing enough as it is....

Old 05-02-2018, 08:16 AM
eastport_mini
2nd Gear
So how do I separate the Turn signals from the brake lights ?
The right hand photo in post #23 is what I have for both functions
The blinker is still working behind the brake light but is washed out.

Old 05-02-2018, 08:19 AM
DunkM
4th Gear
Originally Posted by eastport_mini
Right now both the vertical bar and the horizontal bar work in unison both during braking and turn signal functions.
Hi Eastport

The correct working of the brake lights is that the brakes are only the vertical line.
The turn signal is the horizontal line.

Now this is where it separates. -
the Euro brake lights have amber turn signals, this means you cannot do expanded area, so you must use blinking.

Therefore, for your USDM lights you need to find the mapping for the brake lights and turn signals, see MAPPING_BREMSL_1_x_OUTPUT, MAPPING_BLINKER_H_x_OUTPUT, MAPPING_BLINKER_H_x_OUTPUT, and MAPPING_BLINKEN_2_x_L_OUTPUT and look into that. That being said, you are very close to having a brake light that would pass muster in most US states.

Note: replace x with L or R

Last edited by DunkM; 05-02-2018 at 08:26 AM. Reason: Clarity
The following users liked this post:
eastport_mini (05-02-2018)
Old 05-02-2018, 08:20 AM
DunkM
4th Gear
Originally Posted by kfmuller
I think I'm going to leave mine as-is right now. Mine are the Euro version of the UJ tail lights. My 2016 JCW has the LED lighting option. The tail lights plugged right in, and I just had to code the lights as LEDs, and to not monitor them. I don't get any errors or flickering, and the indicators work independent of the brake lights. My brake force display is currently set at expanded area - which will light up the turn signals along with the brakes under heavy braking. I'd like to get the flash working, but don't want to mess what I currently have up.
Will you be at MOTD in Dallas in July, since you are the reason I purchased these lights, I wouldn't mind coding this in for you then.

Old 05-02-2018, 08:32 AM
eastport_mini
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by DunkM
Hi Eastport

The correct working of the brake lights is that the brakes are only the vertical line.
The turn signal is the horizontal line.

Now this is where it separates. -
the Euro brake lights have amber turn signals, this means you cannot do expanded area, so you must use blinking.

Therefore, for your USDM lights you need to find the mapping for the brake lights and turn signals, see MAPPING_BREMSL_1_x_OUTPUT, MAPPING_BLINKER_H_x_OUTPUT, MAPPING_BLINKER_H_x_OUTPUT, and MAPPING_BLINKEN_2_x_L_OUTPUT and look into that. That being said, you are very close to having a brake light that would pass muster in most US states.

Note: replace x with L or R

It's the brake light washing out the turn signal that concerns me the most.

""you are very close to having a brake light that would pass muster in most US states.""
Not sure what you meant here.

Old 05-02-2018, 08:47 AM
DunkM
4th Gear
I meant by that comment that the brakes on quite a few SUVs function almost the same as yours, other than your main concern of the turn signal being washed out by the brake light.

Unfortunately, my brake lights did not have the same issue yours did. As I bought the European part numbers with amber turn signals. I am more than willing to help you out. but there will require some testing. I would suggest we move to direct message until we figure this out, to ensure that we do not confuse too many other people.

The following users liked this post:
eastport_mini (05-02-2018)
Old 05-02-2018, 10:27 AM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
DunkM

Lets get this right.

You now have your brake lights (vertical) blinking on panic stop?

Not your turn signals?

Old 05-02-2018, 12:01 PM
boki
3rd Gear
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by TVPostSound
I understood the vertical was brake light the horizontal was turn signal.
Brake lights don't go off during signal.
Thanks so much to all of you trying to help us with US spec UJ tail lights out - here's a guy from the forum here Gery (grh372) that had them coded remotely by a guy from codemycar.com and they work as they should finally but the guy is charging for it and wouldn't reveal what codes need to be changed and where. Here you can find in the post #914 how they are supposed to work for the US market:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post4386059

The horizontal and vertical bars on the US spec UJ tail lights (part numbers ending with 5 and 6) are both on one circuit and can't be separated (that's my guess) so they have to be coded to just light up on braking but the blinker shouldn't stop blinking and go solid when braking. I'm looking forward to having the proper codes and I'm willing to paypal some six pack $$ money to anyone that finds out the proper coding that works for US spec UJ tail lights.

If someone could get in touch with Gerry (grh372 - forum name) and see if he can scan the codes to analyze them someone could figure out the changes that were done to his car to make them work? Just a thought. He's a cool guy and if he helps out I'd be willing to send him some $$ to offset the price he had to pay to have them coded.

Also, here's a video of my lights as of today to show what the problem is:

Last edited by boki; 05-02-2018 at 12:07 PM.
Old 05-02-2018, 12:25 PM
kfmuller
4th Gear
Will you be at MOTD in Dallas in July, since you are the reason I purchased these lights, I wouldn't mind coding this in for you then.
Do you mean MINI Takes the States? Then Yes - we'll be participating, at least for the Dallas area stuff.

I don't mind doing it myself with my Bimmercode app if the first post is the latest and greatest info. I was going to do it last night, but then things started getting all fuzzy with additional posts from others, and then mixing in the US lights to boot.

I thought your initial write up seemed pretty straight forward. So, please just confirm that that's how I should take it. I also just coded my Union Jacks as daytime running lights, so they are on all the time now.

Old 05-02-2018, 01:18 PM
eastport_mini
2nd Gear
Me Too

Originally Posted by boki
Thanks so much to all of you trying to help us with US spec UJ tail lights out - here's a guy from the forum here Gery (grh372) that had them coded remotely by a guy from codemycar.com and they work as they should finally but the guy is charging for it and wouldn't reveal what codes need to be changed and where. Here you can find in the post #914 how they are supposed to work for the US market:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post4386059

The horizontal and vertical bars on the US spec UJ tail lights (part numbers ending with 5 and 6) are both on one circuit and can't be separated (that's my guess) so they have to be coded to just light up on braking but the blinker shouldn't stop blinking and go solid when braking. I'm looking forward to having the proper codes and I'm willing to paypal some six pack $$ money to anyone that finds out the proper coding that works for US spec UJ tail lights.

If someone could get in touch with Gerry (grh372 - forum name) and see if he can scan the codes to analyze them someone could figure out the changes that were done to his car to make them work? Just a thought. He's a cool guy and if he helps out I'd be willing to send him some $$ to offset the price he had to pay to have them coded.

Also, here's a video of my lights as of today to show what the problem is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnNPCi7iz9o
Thats exactly what mine are doing also.
You can just make out that the turn signal is still flashing.
eastport_MINI

Old 05-02-2018, 02:08 PM
DunkM
4th Gear
Do you mean MINI Takes the States? Then Yes - we'll be participating, at least for the Dallas area stuff.

I don't mind doing it myself with my Bimmercode app if the first post is the latest and greatest info. I was going to do it last night, but then things started getting all fuzzy with additional posts from others, and then mixing in the US lights to boot.

I thought your initial write up seemed pretty straight forward. So, please just confirm that that's how I should take it. I also just coded my Union Jacks as daytime running lights, so they are on all the time now.
Yep, I mean MTTS, today has been a long day. This post is supposed to just be getting the bfd to work like it does in the UK, and as far as I know, the updated code is right. My code works but it's just dependent on whether or not I can explain it.

Old 05-02-2018, 02:51 PM
kfmuller
4th Gear
Yep, I mean MTTS, today has been a long day. This post is supposed to just be getting the bfd to work like it does in the UK, and as far as I know, the updated code is right. My code works but it's just dependent on whether or not I can explain it.
Excellent - I'll try it out tonight or this weekend. Was glad I got all the other errors coded out right away. I like having the amber turn indicators.

Old 05-05-2018, 04:21 AM
kfmuller
4th Gear
I got everything coded like you have it in the first post. All lights working correctly, except I don't know about the brake force display since I'll need someone to follow me. No error messages. One more question - what levels to you have set for the speed for the brake force display, and brake pressure. I forget the actual modules - but the speed appears in km and the brake pressure is something like mild, medium, and heavy braking. If you need more specifics, I'll get them for you. I know that mine were set at like 5 km/hr and the lowest brake pressure. I set mine at the middle brake pressure and 20 km/hr. Just thought I'd check with you to see where you've got them set.

Old 05-05-2018, 04:24 AM
DunkM
4th Gear
I got everything coded like you have it in the first post. All lights working correctly, except I don't know about the brake force display since I'll need someone to follow me. No error messages. One more question - what levels to you have set for the speed for the brake force display, and brake pressure. I forget the actual modules - but the speed appears in km and the brake pressure is something like mild, medium, and heavy braking. If you need more specifics, I'll get them for you. I know that mine were set at like 5 km/hr and the lowest brake pressure. I set mine at the middle brake pressure and 20 km/hr. Just thought I'd check with you to see where you've got them set.
All NA cars have them set already, I left it as is. If you need my info to compare, I can post what mine was stock.

Old 05-05-2018, 04:47 AM
kfmuller
4th Gear
All NA cars have them set already, I left it as is. If you need my info to compare, I can post what mine was stock.
Please do - that way I'll get mine back to what was stock.

Old 05-06-2018, 05:59 PM
grh372
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by eastport_mini
Thats exactly what mine are doing also.
You can just make out that the turn signal is still flashing.
eastport_MINI
So heres the issue. Lights ending in 3 or 4 are european with orange horizontal bar. US spec lights end in 5 and 6. those cannot be separated. So special coding had to be done to make them work. Both -| work as turn signal and brake as they should now. If you ordered the euro spec orange then you would only have to code out the bulb warnings. Easy way is euro and as always the Us spec takes lots of work. Gary

Old 05-13-2018, 09:40 PM
nutsofamily
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Where to buy euro lights

Since the euro lights have the fewest coding issues, and my Cooper has all LED's, where is a decent place to pick these up?

Pete
Vancouver.

Old 05-13-2018, 09:48 PM
minicooperjp
2nd Gear
Received 33 Likes on 11 Posts
@Pete, I picked mine up at newministuff.com

Old 05-13-2018, 09:53 PM
nutsofamily
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
euro lights

Originally Posted by minicooperjp
@Pete, I picked mine up at newministuff.com
Thanks for info.

So in summary, If my Coops S JCW package has the LED lights option, these will work without coding?

Old 05-14-2018, 05:30 AM
kfmuller
4th Gear
Originally Posted by nutsofamily
Thanks for info.

So in summary, If my Coops S JCW package has the LED lights option, these will work without coding?
Euro lights need to code out the errors and set the back lights to LED, and not to monitor the voltage so you don't continue to get errors and flickering. Plus, you still need to set them up so that Brake Force Display works correctly. Plenty on here to let you know the coding parameters. Quite easy even for a beginner like me.

Old 05-14-2018, 08:47 AM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Originally Posted by nutsofamily
Thanks for info.

You might have the LED package, but the brake light, turn signal, and reverse bulbs are not LED, only the running light ring.
So when you get the UJ lights you need to code for the LED

Quick Reply: Union Jack Taillights