3rd Annual MINIs on the Dragon (2005) Ready to make the trek to the Dragon? Learn all about what will likely be the largest MINI gathering in 2005.

MOUNTAIN BIKING at the dragon.

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2005, 08:15 PM
Jollynut
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MOUNTAIN BIKING at the dragon.

OK, so now we need to get a little group together to go mountain biking when we are at the dragon.

This is a sort of official mountain bike event for the MINI meet at the dragon.

We have chosen to do it on the Saturday morning at 8am so as not to miss anything else exciting that is already planned.

So if anyone is interested, please post here. Please state whether or not you are bringing your own bike. There are bikes to be hired locally, but I think that there is a limited number.

I have not decided yet - I have a roof rack, but have just got a new MCS, and have not got the holes drilled for the rack yet! Sometimes when travelling long distances, having a bike on the roof can be a P.I.T.A!!!!!

Old 01-28-2005, 07:09 PM
minicoopersgirl
Coordinator :: South East - Florida
Tim and I might be interested. Keep us informed on your plans. We have bikes already.

Thanks

Old 01-28-2005, 07:28 PM
markvibari
2nd Gear
Are you planning to go to Tsali ?

If you've never been there, it's got 4 awesome loops which alternate usage between bikes and horses. The two 12+ mile loops (Right & Left Loops) are terrific, with great overlooks above Fontana Lake, but the two shorter loops are open to bikes on Saturday. They're not too shabby either:

• Mouse Branch Loop (6.5 mi): Has one long, fast singletrack downhill, with a gradual climb up to it. Good views, trail passes over neat clearcut hills--in one spot, you can see the trail snaking over on the next ridge. Watch how quickly the forest can change as you go in and out of coves and along ridges. Connects to Mouse Branch Overlook Loop.
  • Thompson Loop (7.7 mi): Some stream crossings and old logging roads. Mixed pine and hardwood forests at Tsali are easily recognized on this trail. Some old homesites. Neat part of forest with tall hemlocks and rhododendron, not typical of the heavily logged areas at Tsali. More great lakeshore singletrack riding with long, gradual hills. Some really great fast gravel road sections.

Old 01-29-2005, 04:29 AM
SpiderX
6th Gear
Tsali trails

I have ridden them many times. In the early 90s they were the best trails in the east and some say they still are. I was planning on bringing my bike but I am not sure which day I will ride. My "handle" SpiderX comes from my Intense "Spider" and my Titus "RacerX."

Old 01-30-2005, 06:26 PM
minibrute
4th Gear
I'm interested in riding while at the dragon. I'm just recovering from a broken wrist and damaged rotator cuff. Went over the bars test riding a kona stinky in vegas at interbike. I've heard of the tsali mountains for years but never been there. I'm a weakened experienced rider right now but will buildup saddle miles for this trip. Any camping at the dragon?

Old 01-30-2005, 07:58 PM
Jollynut
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by markvibari
Are you planning to go to Tsali ?

If you've never been there, it's got 4 awesome loops which alternate usage between bikes and horses. The two 12+ mile loops (Right & Left Loops) are terrific, with great overlooks above Fontana Lake, but the two shorter loops are open to bikes on Saturday. They're not too shabby either:

• Mouse Branch Loop (6.5 mi): Has one long, fast singletrack downhill, with a gradual climb up to it. Good views, trail passes over neat clearcut hills--in one spot, you can see the trail snaking over on the next ridge. Watch how quickly the forest can change as you go in and out of coves and along ridges. Connects to Mouse Branch Overlook Loop.
  • Thompson Loop (7.7 mi): Some stream crossings and old logging roads. Mixed pine and hardwood forests at Tsali are easily recognized on this trail. Some old homesites. Neat part of forest with tall hemlocks and rhododendron, not typical of the heavily logged areas at Tsali. More great lakeshore singletrack riding with long, gradual hills. Some really great fast gravel road sections.
Excellent info mikevibari - thanks!! I am a bit clueless about the area except I was told that there are some great trails in the area.

Sounds like I had better get in training again as soon as the snow gets off my practice area!!! I managed to at least get back on my bike today, so that is a start - the hilly bits I like to go up and down had too much deep snow on, so I had to stay to the tracks which are a bit too easy!!!

I like the sound of the Tsali trails, they sound ideal. I can't decide whether or not to bring my bike. I don't like travelling long distances with it on the roof. If I can make a way to put it inside safely, I may just bring it!!

I will do some more research, and make a plan about what we could do, and where exactly we should go. I hope that I will be able to keep up with the rest of you guys!!!

If anyone has any more suggestions about this, I am open to all ideas!! I am only organizing this because I was the one who first wondered if there was anyone else out there who wanted to go mountain biking while at the dragon!!!

Old 01-30-2005, 08:03 PM
Jollynut
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by minibrute
I'm interested in riding while at the dragon. I'm just recovering from a broken wrist and damaged rotator cuff. Went over the bars test riding a kona stinky in vegas at interbike. I've heard of the tsali mountains for years but never been there. I'm a weakened experienced rider right now but will buildup saddle miles for this trip. Any camping at the dragon?
Yikes - hope your wrist mends quickly minibrute!

Don't get too strong again!! I will not be able to keep up with you!! I hope I will not be too much of a wimp if there are scary bits going down a lot!! I like doing the ups though!!

There are plenty of campsites in the area - I think you will find out where when you check other threads about the dragon! :smile:

Old 01-30-2005, 08:13 PM
minibrute
4th Gear
Thank you jollynut, I can't ride now. My wrist isn't strong enough yet and my shouler is even worst but I should be able to ride the tsali mountains. Put it this way, there is no way I'll be there and not ride my mountain bike. I have a thule boot mounted rack that holds my bike very well at highway speed . I take the wheels off, it helps keeping the car smooth for the long drive from long island. Thank you for getting this mountain bike ride together, Let's make it happen.

Old 01-31-2005, 07:36 AM
Driving_Hamster
5th Gear
I ride Tsali every year (for the past 4 years anyway) in late May or early June. I drive all the way from PA just to go there. Always stay at the Turkey Creek campground. The nicest guy in the world runs that small campground and I am always happy to give him my business.

Alas, this year I am not sure if I can make it down for the Dragon due to unforseen work commitments. I should find out this week. If I can make it I would surely be in for a group ride.

As posted earlier you can refer to this great site: Mountain Bike Western NC for lots of great information on trails in the area.

Last edited by Driving_Hamster; 01-31-2005 at 07:48 AM. Reason: added some links
Old 01-31-2005, 03:42 PM
Jollynut
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Driving_Hamster
I ride Tsali every year (for the past 4 years anyway) in late May or early June. I drive all the way from PA just to go there. Always stay at the Turkey Creek campground. The nicest guy in the world runs that small campground and I am always happy to give him my business.

Alas, this year I am not sure if I can make it down for the Dragon due to unforseen work commitments. I should find out this week. If I can make it I would surely be in for a group ride.

As posted earlier you can refer to this great site: Mountain Bike Western NC for lots of great information on trails in the area.
Thanks so much Driving Hamster - gosh, I do hope that you can make it. I am sure that you will do everything that you can to make it happen.
Flipping work, it does get in the way sometimes doesn't it!??

Sounds like we definitely have to go to Tsali - sounds like the best place from what you guys are saying. I will do some investigation, and see what is best for us to do. :smile:

Yep, minibrute, we will make this happen. And get yourself fixed up soon, so that you can get back on your bike and get those appropriate muscles back in training!!

Wow, I am getting more excited about this whole thing!! The MINI motoring is such a great fun thing - I absolutely LOVE it, but to be able to add a quality mountain bike trip to the event will make it even better!! Can't wait!
Only NINETY SEVEN days to go before the start of the dragon!!!

Old 02-15-2005, 12:49 PM
Big Jimmy
2nd Gear
WHOOHOO I cannot wait!! I will be the weakest link in the group it seems however...

Old 02-15-2005, 12:52 PM
erik99
3rd Gear
This sounds like fun, but I won't have means to get my bike up that way. And I am too darn tall for any sort of rental bike .

Old 02-22-2005, 04:38 PM
Jollynut
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Big Jimmy
WHOOHOO I cannot wait!! I will be the weakest link in the group it seems however...
Not at all Jum - I am an old fogie, so you will do better than me!!

And Erik - sorry that you are so flipping tall!!!

Couldn't you cram your bike in the back of the MINI?????

Old 02-22-2005, 05:26 PM
erik99
3rd Gear
I'm not sure the frame would make it through the boot opening

Old 02-23-2005, 09:38 PM
Jollynut
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by erik99
I'm not sure the frame would make it through the boot opening
Ahhh - giant rider, giant bike!!! MINI car!!

Old 02-24-2005, 04:26 AM
SpiderX
6th Gear
Originally Posted by erik99
This sounds like fun, but I won't have means to get my bike up that way. And I am too darn tall for any sort of rental bike .

Call the Nantahalla outdoor center for bike rentals. They see people your height. They rent suspension bikes as well.

Old 03-04-2005, 11:16 AM
Jollynut
2nd Gear
Hello everyone!!

Thought it was time to see if we can round up anyone else for this.

Maybe no one noticed the thread lately amongst all the others!!

This should be great for those who like being on a bike.

Hopefully the weather will be good to us, so come on - lets have some extra adventure folks!!!

Old 03-13-2005, 08:05 PM
Big Jimmy
2nd Gear
I love to be on a bike.... but I may have to back out... My grandfather is coming up to meet me for a day and the skyway pass drive would be a great thing to take him on and it conflicts with this =-(

Old 03-31-2005, 11:17 PM
Big Jimmy
2nd Gear
Okie dokie all yalls...
Jollynut and I have been talking... and we were thinking of the organized event being 2 hourish (more if yall want) But that would then conflict with the skyway drive... so we were thinking of moving it to 6 AM... that would leave us with the brisk morning air and enough time to get back shower eat and get out to the meet up place for the drive if you wanted to go on it...
So any opinons on this? What do you all that are signed up for it think?

Old 04-13-2005, 08:04 PM
Jollynut
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Big Jimmy
Okie dokie all yalls...
Jollynut and I have been talking... and we were thinking of the organized event being 2 hourish (more if yall want) But that would then conflict with the skyway drive... so we were thinking of moving it to 6 AM... that would leave us with the brisk morning air and enough time to get back shower eat and get out to the meet up place for the drive if you wanted to go on it...
So any opinons on this? What do you all that are signed up for it think?
Is there anyone other than JUM and me going to brave the mountain biking??????

I am keen to go early so that we can go on the Sky Way drive as well, so as Jum mentioned, it would be cool to go at 6am.

I do hope that some one is still coming with us. Please let me know, it would be good to know what everyone is doing (if ANYONE!)

Not long now - only three weeks!!!

Old 04-13-2005, 08:18 PM
minibrute
4th Gear
I'm riding with you guys, I'm feeling much better and got out twice this week on my bike. I can't wait. Is the plan to ride saturday early morning ? Thanks Jolly.

Old 04-15-2005, 12:18 PM
Big Jimmy
2nd Gear
Just called and reserved my Bike... they looked at me like I had 8 heads when I said I was calling to reserve a bike... I said I was with the MINI group and they said OH Thats a different story....
Prices are as follows...
$10 an hour
$15 half day (4 hours)
$25 for a day (8 hours)

They open at 9 am on saturday morning but said they woulden't start charging till saturday morning if you were to pick up the bike on friday night They are so awsome!

MINIBrute, You gotta sign up in the event planner section...
Jolly and the rest of yall... any news on moving this to 6am?

Old 04-15-2005, 06:14 PM
Jollynut
2nd Gear
ou
Originally Posted by minibrute
I'm riding with you guys, I'm feeling much better and got out twice this week on my bike. I can't wait. Is the plan to ride saturday early morning ? Thanks Jolly.

Great News minibrute!!

Glad you are getting back with doing some bike riding. :smile:

I have been splitting my time between going on the trails at the back of the farm on the mountain bike, and going on lovely road trips on the road bike!

Getting a bit fitter now, and hope to be able to look not too hopeless at the dragon!!!

Yep minibrute - if it is ok with you, Jum and I are hoping to get back for the Sky Drive, so we were planning to set off about 6am. Please let me know that it suits you ok.

Dragon here we come!!!!

Old 04-24-2005, 05:57 PM
Jollynut
2nd Gear
Ok guys - I see that there are five of us signed up so far, and now I know who three of us are - Jum, Minibrute and me.

Jum, I met Minibrute today at the Dutchess Co. Nut Escapade, and he is a real pro, but he is going to take care of us more novice riders!!

He is also willing to set off at 6am, so now all we have to do is find out who the other two are, and make sure that they are willing to come early too.

Does anyone know how we find out who the others are????

Old 04-24-2005, 06:46 PM
BabsWife
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Jollynut
Does anyone know how we find out who the others are????
Nutty:

Go to the Event planner and click on the Mountain Biking event...on the upper right side is a list of all the User Names of those signed up. I'd suggest you PM them if you want to start earlier --- also -- will anyone in that group need a bike? If so, let me know, so I can get the rental office open at that hour.

Hugs,
PB

Quick Reply: MOUNTAIN BIKING at the dragon.