3rd Annual MINIs on the Dragon (2005) Ready to make the trek to the Dragon? Learn all about what will likely be the largest MINI gathering in 2005.

The Fontana Challenge!

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 10:14 AM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Fontana Challenge!

Craving internet access while at MINI's on The Dragon? You're not the only one, one of the things that many people were asking for last year was some form of high speed internet access...

The trouble is, the great folks at Fontana are concerned about the cost of bringing such a service out to the resort. In order to help convince the Fontana that this would be a valuable amentity that was highly desired by their guests, we have worked with the resort and they have presented us with THE FONTANA CHALLENGE!

The challenge is simple, if we sell out the Fontana for this year's MINIs on The Dragon, Fontana will guarantee that high speed internet access will be available in the Rec Center for MINI's on The Dragon 2006!

So here it is, your first chance to improve future MINI's on The Dragon! Based on the information we received today (03 Jan 05) there are 73 rooms/cabins left, make sure you get yours!

Old 01-03-2005, 10:20 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
wow - there's more accomidations available than I expected - I bet some people are being lazy and haven't reserved yet

Old 01-03-2005, 10:42 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I KNOW people are being lazy and not reserving yet! Get with the program, people! If you book and can't make it, you can turn your reservation over to another MINiac!

C'mon! Let's take over Fontana Village.....have a totally MINI environment...woo hoooo!! I know we can do it! Let's nudge everyone who's hesitating and remind them all that this is the funnest Meet of the year!

And I'm driving there from Los Angeles! So no wimpy excuses, people!

Clover

Old 01-03-2005, 11:12 PM
Detroit Tuned
Vendor - 15 Years
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
i would not miss it for the world!!! you know i am there!!! rock it!

Old 01-03-2005, 11:46 PM
sndwave
Coordinator :: Gulf Coast & Panhandle MINIs
I have my room booked...

I liked not having contact with the outside world while I was there so don't go to all this trouble just for me.

Old 01-04-2005, 06:07 AM
Wiggles
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MINIclo
And I'm driving there from Los Angeles! So no wimpy excuses, people!

Clover
Dang!!! You go girl!!! That's a hell of a drive. Have you made the trip before? I-40 all the way?

Old 01-04-2005, 08:35 AM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Wiggles
Dang!!! You go girl!!! That's a hell of a drive. Have you made the trip before? I-40 all the way?
That would be Clover's annual "hot-flash" across the country!

Part of the reason for the jump in vacant rooms is that Fontana had blocked off some other cabins/rooms which they have now released to us...

However, the resort still won't be 100% MINI's. Patricia got word that a classic Corvette club from the Carolinas will be coming in as well. However, there won't be that many of them (much less than last year's bird watchers!)

Old 01-04-2005, 08:52 AM
sndwave
Originally Posted by Wiggles
This will be her 3rd annual migration to the Dragon from her home in LA. And we track it all the way.

Old 01-04-2005, 11:31 AM
BabsWife
5th Gear
Originally Posted by sndwave
I have my room booked...

I liked not having contact with the outside world while I was there so don't go to all this trouble just for me.
I know some of us prefer the peace and quiet. But others keep begging to stay in touch online. I really wanted to give those people who think staying in town is better no reason not to stay where the party is.

On a similar subject, Fontana thinks it might have the phone system fixed to get phones in the cabins that don't have them. I know that Kool liked not having a phone, but some people might want to call another cabin instead of using the radios. Plus we all need to be able to check that the party is still going on at the party cabin.

Finally, yes, there are 8 cabins sold to the Corvette group. The organizer is probably going to get in touch with me soon. They know we are going to be there and wanted to be a part of it. I thought that was cool. Plus, I think Ryan might like a chance to show off in front of a few corvettes. Anyhoo, I think they are classics and that should be neat too. Plus there is only 8 cabins of them. -- 1/2 of the Fontana was bird watchers last year.

Now, I'm off to gather AOL disks. I think I promised a car cover to someone....hmmm....how many AOL disks would it take to cover a MINI? I'm thinking felt backed to prevent damage to paint.

Hugs,
PB

Old 01-04-2005, 12:41 PM
sndwave
Originally Posted by BabsWife
I know some of us prefer the peace and quiet. But others keep begging to stay in touch online. I really wanted to give those people who think staying in town is better no reason not to stay where the party is.

On a similar subject, Fontana thinks it might have the phone system fixed to get phones in the cabins that don't have them. I know that Kool liked not having a phone, but some people might want to call another cabin instead of using the radios. Plus we all need to be able to check that the party is still going on at the party cabin.

Finally, yes, there are 8 cabins sold to the Corvette group. The organizer is probably going to get in touch with me soon. They know we are going to be there and wanted to be a part of it. I thought that was cool. Plus, I think Ryan might like a chance to show off in front of a few corvettes. Anyhoo, I think they are classics and that should be neat too. Plus there is only 8 cabins of them. -- 1/2 of the Fontana was bird watchers last year.

Now, I'm off to gather AOL disks. I think I promised a car cover to someone....hmmm....how many AOL disks would it take to cover a MINI? I'm thinking felt backed to prevent damage to paint.

Hugs,
PB
143,764 if my calculations are right.

Old 01-04-2005, 01:17 PM
BabsWife
5th Gear
143,764 if my calculations are right.
Shall we place a bet on this one?

ok, rounding off to 150K (for waste), and 112 days to the Dragon (is that right?) means I'd have to collect at the rate of 1,334 per day -- and that gives me NO build time. I think it may be a roof cover

Anyway, I love a challenge --- let's see what we can do. Maybe we can make it a MOTD project.

Hugs,
PB

Old 01-04-2005, 01:21 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Hahahahahaha! A disc-mail (like chain-mail, but with discs) cap for BLU MENE! Woo hooo! Oops....the jig is up!

I see nothing wrong with the Vettes being there, since I also own one!

But I was hoping for an all-MINI village, dangit! Oh well, there's always '06!

Clover

Old 01-04-2005, 04:41 PM
BabsWife
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MINIclo
I see nothing wrong with the Vettes being there, since I also own one!

But I was hoping for an all-MINI village, dangit! Oh well, there's always '06!

Clover
I was told that the 'vettes are coming then BECAUSE of us. I think their cars are want to be MINIs.

Now, Can Clo bring both Wanda and the 'vette to the Dragon.

Sorry, Clo -- no luck on the all MINI village, but since there is only 8 of them, I'm seriously doubting you'll see much of them.

Hugs,
PB

Old 01-06-2005, 05:55 AM
koolmini
OVERDRIVE
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
maybe i'll bring the GTO (tow the MINI behind it)
this way when i'm done stomping vette's on the twisties
then i'll stomp them on the straight-a-ways, as well

Old 01-06-2005, 06:05 AM
BabsWife
5th Gear
Originally Posted by koolmini
maybe i'll bring the GTO (tow the MINI behind it)
this way when i'm done stomping vette's on the twisties
then i'll stomp them on the straight-a-ways, as well
Glad you pointed out that you'd be towing the MINI, since I think it would be most fun to watch you drive the two cars down from NY.

Something like, drive the GTO a mile, walk back to the MINI; drive the MINI a two miles; walk back to the GTO. -- How many days do you think that would take??

I hear that's the way Clo is bringing Wanda and her 'vette.

Hugs,
PB

Old 01-06-2005, 06:48 AM
koolmini
OVERDRIVE
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
^^^^^^

Old 01-06-2005, 06:55 AM
sndwave
Originally Posted by BabsWife
Something like, drive the GTO a mile, walk back to the MINI; drive the MINI a two miles; walk back to the GTO. -- How many days do you think that would take??

I hear that's the way Clo is bringing Wanda and her 'vette.
How did you find out about that. From what she said both cars are packed and she leaves in two days for the event in May.

Old 01-06-2005, 07:25 AM
BabsWife
5th Gear
How did you find out about that. From what she said both cars are packed and she leaves in two days for the event in May.
Yes, I heard she wants to TRY to cross the dessert before spring gets too hot. However, I think she's a bit concerned about the mountains....parking Wanda on the side of the mountain -- and walking that mile to get the 'vette is going to be more tricky.

teehee,
PB

Old 01-18-2005, 04:24 AM
MandaBoo
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My hubby called yesterday to make our reservations and he was told that there are only 8 Inn rooms left, so they are starting to fill up! The biggest problem we are going to have is who gets to drive?! Seeing as its my car and it will be my b-day, I think he's going to be riding shotgun

Old 01-18-2005, 02:41 PM
Paul!
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MandaBoo
My hubby called yesterday to make our reservations and he was told that there are only 8 Inn rooms left, so they are starting to fill up! The biggest problem we are going to have is who gets to drive?! Seeing as its my car and it will be my b-day, I think he's going to be riding shotgun
Erm, you're motoring down from Cincinnati? Don't you think that there's enough driving time that you can share, hmm?

-Paul!

Old 01-18-2005, 02:57 PM
CustomAV
5th Gear
Just got my 2 room cabin today! So scratch another one off the list! didn't use the MINI code, I used my travel agent though, I am lazy.....

Chris

Old 01-18-2005, 03:03 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Originally Posted by CustomAV
Just got my 2 room cabin today! So scratch another one off the list! didn't use the MINI code, I used my travel agent though, I am lazy.....

Chris
Tsk, tsk, tsk! I hope the travel agent mentioned that you are part of the MINI Event, at least, so the Fontana Challenge can be met!

Clover

Old 01-18-2005, 03:57 PM
MandaBoo
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Paul!
Erm, you're motoring down from Cincinnati? Don't you think that there's enough driving time that you can share, hmm?

-Paul!
He can drive down and back, but I get to do at least most of the Dragon runs! I won't let him drive separately in his Evo and from the way he's been talking, he thinks I'm gonna sit in the passenger seat for all the runs. Sorry honey, you got another thing comin'

Old 01-18-2005, 04:20 PM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Well, Fontana is one step closer to being sold out. :smile:

Old 01-19-2005, 05:21 AM
DizzyTT
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MandaBoo
He can drive down and back, but I get to do at least most of the Dragon runs! I won't let him drive separately in his Evo and from the way he's been talking, he thinks I'm gonna sit in the passenger seat for all the runs. Sorry honey, you got another thing comin'
No, I don't expect to drive all the runs, just the Midnight one, as you can't see sh*t at night! I would like one day run as well, so I can get ready for the night run, but you can have the rest.

Quick Reply: The Fontana Challenge!