1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hello from Alaska!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 03:10 AM
MNPA99504
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello from Alaska!

Hello everyone... I am the proud owner of a 2005 european delivered US spec MCS. The previous owner apparently decided he would rather drive a SUV, so traded it in for a Jeep. It was bone stock with Pirelli 240 runflat winter tires; I have quickly added an Alta Sport-tone exhaust and OZ wheels with Michelin Exalto P2 tires for the summer season, and have a JCW intake coming in the mail...

Things I have learned in one month of MINI ownership:

People drive stupidly around MINIs; they're either trying to beat you, cut you off because you're smaller, or aren't watching where they're going because they're staring.

MINIs may be stealth cars; I've driven past police officers going the opposite direction several times while "possibly" exceeding the speed limit at least 30 MPH, and so far none of them has even so much as tapped their brakes thinking about turning around (knock on wood).

Runflat tires suck. Huge difference in noise and ride comfort going to the Michelins.

Question... We up here are arguably the farthest from a MINI dealer of any, maybe 2500 miles to BC. Are BMW dealers generally able to handle ECU upgrade flashes, or would one have to pull his ECU and ship it somewhere to get latest updates? Would it be worthwhile to go with something like MTH with no pulley mods?

Thanks, Mike

Old 04-16-2007, 04:26 AM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome! Where in Alaska? My sister moved to Fairbanks last year, and I was out there briefly in July. Looking forward to a longer trip probably next year, to the McCarthy area where they also have land...

I can't answer your ECU question, but for your sake, I hope the answer is yes!

Fireweed on the Granite Tors Trail near Fairbanks:

Old 04-16-2007, 05:01 AM
Murmini
3rd Gear
Welcome to MINI world!

Old 04-16-2007, 06:16 AM
bzn by
4th Gear
Can't answer any of your questions but welcome, I was raised on Kodiak Island

Old 04-16-2007, 06:23 AM
SpeedyV
2nd Gear
Welcome to NAM, Mike

I'm guessing you're in Anchorage (99504)...?

My wife and I spent a couple of weeks exploring AK last summer...Anchorage, Seward, Cooper Landing, Ninilchik, Homer, Glennallen, Copper Center, Kennecott/McCarthy, North Pole, Fairbanks, Talkeetna, and back to Anchorage. AWESOME experience!!! (I have family in Ninilchik and North Pole).

Lots of great twisties up there (especially the Glenn highway from Palmer to Glennallen)!

Happy Motoring

Old 04-16-2007, 06:33 AM
4xAAA
6th Gear
Welcome to NAM and howdy from Texas!
We spent 2 years in Anchorage (que Wild Blue Yonder music) loved all but the last 10 days. Damn drunk driver .
Happy motoring!

Old 04-16-2007, 06:55 AM
jimmy_racoon
3rd Gear
Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts
Welcome from a lower 48!

Great move on getting your MINI! I was born in Fairbanks, but have only been back to Anchorage-quite a while ago. What a State! Got my MINI just for the cold Minnesota climate and could not be happier. Motor on.

Old 04-16-2007, 07:12 AM
<Mark>
1st Gear
MNPA99504 Welcome. I also live in Anchorage and I'm picking up my MINI next week (in Ohio). I was told that the Anchorage BMW dealer can do general service work (but it's not free), they may be able to do warrenty work but it would have to be cleared by MINIUSA, otherwise I was told MINI will ship to the nearest service center (if the car can not be driven) and it's our problem getting it back. I'm not sure if they would ship to Seattle or Edmonton. Me I'm just crossing my fingers. I've also heard there is a local shop that works on MINIs, I don't know who yet, but I'm keeping my ears open - any other Anchorage, or Alaska MINI owners have a shop they would recommend?

Old 04-16-2007, 08:17 AM
bamatt
6th Gear
Welcome to NAM

Old 04-17-2007, 12:29 AM
R56MCS
Banned
Welcome to NAM!

Old 04-17-2007, 09:49 AM
nolimit
4th Gear
I have not taken my MC to any local shops yet, I'm due for some service and brake work soon.
If you were to have Lithia BMW do any waranty work you would have to pay for it then take up the rembursment with MINI.

The nearest dealership to ship to would be in Vancouver BC, either Yaletown or Richmond MINI Both are really good.
Cheers
Shawn

Old 04-17-2007, 10:41 AM
Shellbell
5th Gear
Mike, Welcome from Colorado!!!!

Old 04-17-2007, 12:57 PM
AKIndiMini
OVERDRIVE
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hey there! Where abouts are you? I'm in Kodiak. So far I have yet to figure out where to get warranty service for my MCS. So far the car hasn't needed it *knock on wood*...

Welcome to NAM, fellow Alaskan! :-)

Old 04-18-2007, 02:32 AM
MNPA99504
1st Gear
Hello fellow Alaskans, and everybody! Thanks for the warm welcome.

I'm in Anchorage, the "city 30 minutes from Alaska". I was specifically wondering if the BMW folks were privy to MINI software upgrades, or able to do things like JCW flash. Also, do all of the cars come with free maintenance for a specific time or is this something you have to buy up front? Not that we could participate up here, anyway...

I've actually scoped out the Richmond MINI dealership, we were there 2 years ago for youth hockey. Hell of a road trip, to drive there and back, though...

I hear that Kodiak is beautiful, I personally haven't made it there yet.

Old 08-17-2007, 02:57 AM
nolimit
4th Gear
Originally Posted by nolimit
I have not taken my MC to any local shops yet, I'm due for some service and brake work soon.
If you were to have Lithia BMW do any waranty work you would have to pay for it then take up the rembursment with MINI.

The nearest dealership to ship to would be in Vancouver BC, either Yaletown or Richmond MINI Both are really good.
Cheers
Shawn
By the way getting MINI to reimburse for anything that would be warranty is a joke. If you can take a road trip to a Mini dealership is the only way to have warranty work done. Even with that the trip expense might be more than if you paid out of pocket.

Old 08-17-2007, 07:00 AM
minitoo
1st Gear
My experience has been the same as NOLIMIT's. I'm pretty sure you are on your own even with a BMW dealer in town. My car hasn't seen a dealer since I drove it off the lot in Las Vegas over four years ago. The three years free maintenance was worthless...too bad we couldn't get some sort of reimbursement for that. I do all my own service and the only thing I had go wrong in four years time is the HK amp died and MINI wouldn't even take the old one in the mail, check that it was defective and send me a replacement. Had to see it in the car. Not worth 8 days travel time so I found one on Ebay for $30 that works fine.

There is an organized Anchorage MINI group that coordinates lunchs and runs and such that you might tap into that can help you with current local advice for service as I don't think all members wrench there own cars. I used to be a member but their site dumps every response into your inbox and it was too much spam for me. Maybe I didn't know how to turn that off but I had to drop out. Just ask one of the drivers you see about town...chances are they might hook you up for Los Anchorage info. Watch out for the moose!

Old 08-17-2007, 09:23 AM
pinkMINIgirl
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by chrisneal
Fireweed on the Granite Tors Trail near Fairbanks:

Just beautiful!

Welcome to NAM!!!

Old 08-17-2007, 11:51 AM
AKIndiMini
OVERDRIVE
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hmm this is kind of scary. My car has some minor issues I need to get sorted out. I'd hate to have to ship my car to Seattle just to have the engine controller flashed (rough idle on occasion) and the rear defroster fixed (couple grids stopped working, and now the radio reception sucks with the defrost on).

What is the name of the Anchorage MINI Group? I'd like to ask them how they've handled warranty work and servicing...

Originally Posted by nolimit
By the way getting MINI to reimburse for anything that would be warranty is a joke. If you can take a road trip to a Mini dealership is the only way to have warranty work done. Even with that the trip expense might be more than if you paid out of pocket.

Old 08-17-2007, 12:17 PM
Donna/Mike
Sand Dollar Collector
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome Aboard - sounds like your MINI purchase was "their" loss and your gain.. You live in a beautiful part of the world.. My sis lives in Anchorage...

Donna