1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please TALK ME OUT OF BUYING A MINI (MCS)

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 10:47 PM
MiniXXX
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please TALK ME OUT OF BUYING A MINI (MCS)

Hi MiniMotorists,
1st off I want to thank you all for having me. This is my 1st post to this forum.... Usually, I am on another forum talking about a car with a much larger engine with a lot more horsepower. I have been a carguy my whole life, with purchases as low as a Saturn SC1-2,and Toyota Carolla to a current owner of 05 Magnum R/T, 93 Ford Mustang 5.0, and a 72 Pantera DeTomaso (building now). I am asking all of you to please talk me out of purchasing a 2007 MCS. I got my 1st taste of the MCS about a week ago, TEST DRIVE WEEKEND of the 07 MCS, here in AZ. I got into the small car Mello Yellow, just for giggles and was actually excited to drive considering I drive 28 miles to work and 28 miles back, and the 29 m.p.g.'s sounded pretty nice. THIS THING IS A POCKET ROCKET my freinds and super fun to drive. It has been 4 days since the test drive and I have had a dream everynight about this car. I am trying to decide if I should liquidate the Magnum as I could use the space in the garage for several Mini's to replace the 1 Dodge. I am looking for you to educate me about this car. I am not looking for someone to sell me, as I AM ALREADY SOLD, I am looking for someone to talk me out of buying a Mini (MCS). I am looking to buy later this year, as some of the options I am looking for will be available then. Thanks for your help, and I hope to hear from the MiniNation on this one.

Old 02-21-2007, 11:06 PM
ChrisW
6th Gear
You don't want an 07 MCS you want a 03-06 MCS

Old 02-21-2007, 11:50 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Welcome to NAM, MiniXXX! Whichever MINI you decide to get (2002-2006 or the totally redesigned 2007), you will have a blast!

I see that it really is much too late for you....dreaming about motoring means you have already been sucked into our cult! YAY!

Old 02-21-2007, 11:59 PM
everytimeidie027
6th Gear
I agree with MINIclo, whichever MINI you get you'll have fun with it. welcome to NAM!

Old 02-22-2007, 12:21 AM
R56MCS
Banned
Welcome to NAM, go on you know you want a MINI !!

Old 02-22-2007, 02:10 AM
Frodo
3rd Gear
Too late you are hooked Yes there are cheaper cars and some have more HP but you will never have as much fun as with a Mini! I am a reformed V8 guy and I never thought I would buy a little 4. Well this is by far the most fun I have had with a car. There are so many choices for aftermarket parts.

Test drive, do some reasearch, talk to Mini owners, sleep on it...na just do it!

Good luck,
Frodo

Old 02-22-2007, 04:00 AM
bart5467
4th Gear
HA Ya well i just took the Plunge also and i only took a 10 min test drive and i was sold soo.. Welcome 2 Nam! and dont fight the addiction Embrace it LOL

Old 02-22-2007, 05:38 AM
daflake
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ah, the addiction begins...

Old 02-22-2007, 05:59 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY!

While all MINIs (and Minis) are fun, I'd recommend a 2005-2006 MCS for you also - since you're a "carguy" - these have a great combination of reliability/performance off the shelf, but also the best available set of aftermarket goodies. So if you want to make a 300HP+ sleeper porsche eater out of your MINI, you can... or you can go more conservative.

Heck, if I had your resources I'd buy two MCS's to park where that Magnum is, and setup a street car and a track car...

Old 02-22-2007, 06:03 AM
mac020
2nd Gear
Ok don't get the MINI.

Now that said, wait till you get a chance to start modding/racing it.

Old 02-22-2007, 06:07 AM
elprofe
5th Gear
DON't buy yet....wait for the v8 version.

Old 02-22-2007, 06:23 AM
89AKurt
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
NO

I'm not helping.

Something more satisfying about keeping a head of steam while tailgating cars with much more engine and worth on the racetrack (in the corners of course).

If you're interested in taking a High Performance Driving class at Firebird Raceway, let me know.

And I have some awesome roads to motor on up here.

See... I knew I wouldn't be able to help you!

BTW: Welcome to NAM.

Old 02-22-2007, 06:33 AM
mr. jim
4th Gear
Sorry Pal,
But if you went to the trouble of signing up to this forum, which is loading with very happy and CRAZY MINI owners you are already too far gone! After a test drive I don't think there is any thing or anyone that could talk you out of owning a MINI.
Welcome to NAM! Let us known when you've made a purchase.

Old 02-22-2007, 06:41 AM
Red Scooter
5th Gear
I agree. It's too late. But, you're going to LOVE the journey. I'm a fellow Arizonan (Phoenix) and have had my '06 MCS since last August.

I have 'studied' and learned so much about MINIs and Minis and each generation.

If you'd like to chat, send me a PM (private message) and I'll send you my phone number.

I'm not really a 'car guy'... ...but since purchasing my MINI...I've become one! I've done a few performance mods and several appearance/trim mods, know of some great vendors (2 really good ones here).

Welcome to NAM, the world of MINI ownership and something, IMO, that has/will change your life.

Old 02-22-2007, 07:03 AM
freez3
4th Gear
Location: United States of America, Ohio, Stark County, Uniontown
Believe me, once you get the bug it's impossible to get rid of until you finally get one. I wanted a new MINI from the time they were first announced until 2006... four years. I finally bought a used 2004 MCS and absolutely love it!
Keep an eye on the used market, as there are some very good buys because not everyone who ends up buying one falls in love with the car. Some folks, such as the person I bought from, learn that it's not right for them.

Old 02-22-2007, 07:16 AM
The Short Bus
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Take it from someone who obsessed more over her mini than anything else in the world... then sold it.

BUY IT AND KEEP IT FOREVER. You won't regret one instant with it.

I could try and talk you out of it, sure. But if you can afford it, by all means get it asap! The more time you spend debating it, the less time you could be spending having a blast driving it, pampering it, and of course, modding it.

Old 02-22-2007, 07:22 AM
planeguy
6th Gear
HA......If you like it on the street, then you will love it on the track. Just dont watch any videos of guys who really know how to drive running down porches, cobras and vettes on tight tracks .....but for your convience

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...=onasled&hl=en

Old 02-22-2007, 07:41 AM
Hartz
3rd Gear
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
OK - I'll give this a serious shot.

1) As you likely know, and as others have pointed out, the 2007 is the first year of a pretty significant redesign. You might want to wait a bit and let the first year gremlins work themselves out. 2002-2003 cars certainly had their personality quirks, so it is reasonable to assume this new model will, as well.

2) Because the 2007s are new, the aftermarket is just starting to be developed for them. It'll be a while as the vendors work through what works and what doesn't.

3) New cars are a terrible waste of money.

OK - there - I tried. That being said, I converted from a big V8 muscle car to the Mini and love it. Great little car.

P.S. - Post up some pics of the Pantara! Sounds nice.

Hartz

Old 02-22-2007, 07:44 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Ya know, this is kinda like jumping into the middle of the lions' den and yelling "Hey, what's for dinner ?!?!"

Old 02-22-2007, 07:47 AM
pottermom
6th Gear
Originally Posted by BlimeyCabrio
Ya know, this is kinda like jumping into the middle of the lions' den and yelling "Hey, what's for dinner ?!?!"
Fresh meat that willingly threw itself on the plate...

Old 02-22-2007, 07:54 AM
mhawker
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by planeguy
HA......If you like it on the street, then you will love it on the track. Just dont watch any videos of guys who really know how to drive running down porches, cobras and vettes on tight tracks .....but for your convience

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...=onasled&hl=en
Anyone know the details of that MINI? i.e. JCW, stock suspension etc? Looks like fun fun fun!

Makes me miss racing.....

Old 02-22-2007, 08:00 AM
erickvonzipper
6th Gear
YOU DON'T WANT A MINI[you want a mini]THEY'RE NO FUN TO DRIVE[they are so much fun to drive]THEY ARE REALLY BORING CARS[Minis are exciting!]THEY'RE TOO FRIGGIN" SMALL[they're so flickable]YOU'LL REGRET BUYING IT[it'll be the best car purchase you ever made]YOU DON'T WANT ONE[you'd really love a Mini].

Was that convincing enough?

Zip

Old 02-22-2007, 08:11 AM
tdm156
Ruling the curves
Let the addiction begin. Such a horrible little car with no power, no style, totally unsafe and just who would want such a unique vehicle for their garage. Good luck resisting!

Old 02-22-2007, 08:13 AM
shankrabbit
6th Gear
Ok. You DON'T want a mini because.....

... well....

see.... um....

uh... well you can... um....

then there is the..... so...

in conclusion... don't get a mini because.....

yeah...

how was that?

Old 02-22-2007, 08:13 AM
mini_dreams
5th Gear
you really should get an MCS....

oh wait, we're supposed to talk you out of it. unfortunately, you've already sunk yourself. you took a test drive. I always tell people that are skeptical about the car just to take a test drive and they'll either be hooked (most likely) or they won't care one way or another.

Quick Reply: Please TALK ME OUT OF BUYING A MINI (MCS)