1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R53 Production Week 36 (9/4/06)

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 10:26 PM
climbergirl
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Compensating
Kids, don't try this at home...

I'm downright giddy. OMG this thing is a different animal above 5K...

BTW - where I was, this was within the realm of legality... nice and legal and safe and legit... and my GPS says my speedo reads about 4% fast...
Hey, I think I will hit the magic mark this weekend. Probably around sunday night or monday morning. I better take my camera with me.

Boneman, my dogs wouldn't dare get in the front seat. I have the back seat down with the extended boot cover. It doesn't really save the back from dog hair. The sling will do a better job with that, but if you don't want the hopping happy jack russell from bouncing into the front seat and digging his nails in, you definitely need a barrier. I would check the local pet stores or online(carealotpets.com, drsfostersmith.com), or for bouncy dogs like JR, I suggest crating them while driving in the car. That way, he would be safe in his own little "transporter". Hey, I thought Polly was going to be your daily driver. Women, you gotta love em. My Dan keeps asking "honey, do you want me to drive the MINI tomorrow?" I am sure everyone knows my response. "hell no"

My Koni's will be here next week. Yippeee!! By next weekend, I should have her set up.

Old 10-28-2006, 03:49 PM
eenieMini
5th Gear
Moe is ready for the beaches.... he's being "Maui Moe" (to steal a phrase from Luau Louie) today... it was real easy to put on the graphics.. front were die cut and went on dry the back was one piece and went wet. I also did the AUX install (placed the outlet under the toggle panel as described by another member) that was pretty easy too! I LOVE PLAYING WITH CARS!
Here's a tidbit.. more pics in the gallery.

Attached Thumbnails R53 Production Week 36 (9/4/06)-mauimoe16.jpg  
Old 10-28-2006, 04:33 PM
unfrostedpoptart
1st Gear
New mod!

Hi all!

I just got my auto-window-up kit in the mail today and already put it in! Here the kit: http://www.mcaw.info/?page_id=3 , which I ordered from MyMini.com (http://www.myminiparts.com/proddetai...rod=AWU&cat=13 ). They were super fast: I ordered it on Wednesday and it got to SoCal from Florida today.

Anyway, it popped it really easily and I can now close the driver's window or both windows with just a couple of clicks of the window toggle.

I got the deluxe version, so I could also run my garage-door opener from the door-lock toggle, but I'm on hold on hooking that up since I'm not sure the kit is compatible with the battery voltage of my opener. I'll update the group when I hear back from the company.

I'm psyched: window kit, freshly cleaned wheels, and my first Mini meeting tomorrow (Southern California Mini Maniacs - noon at The Olde Ship British pub in Santa Ana). There's also a coffee/breakfast at 8am at The Neighborhood Cup in Aliso Viejo, followed by a canyon ride up to Santa Ana, but I won't make that part because I've got tennis in the morning.

David

Old 10-28-2006, 04:54 PM
eenieMini
5th Gear
David, Isn't it a kick to get toys for our toy? I am loving "fixing-up" my Moe!

Old 10-28-2006, 11:41 PM
mini_dreams
5th Gear
Originally Posted by eenieMini
Moe is ready for the beaches.... he's being "Maui Moe" (to steal a phrase from Luau Louie) today... it was real easy to put on the graphics.. front were die cut and went on dry the back was one piece and went wet. I also did the AUX install (placed the outlet under the toggle panel as described by another member) that was pretty easy too! I LOVE PLAYING WITH CARS!
Here's a tidbit.. more pics in the gallery.
eenieMini - first, i love your sig. looks so cool... then I checked out your gallery... the graphics look mini-tastic! sweeeeet!

Old 10-29-2006, 07:49 AM
eenieMini
5th Gear
Thanks Grover... YOU need an updated siggie now! Take that "Waiting" off....... Enjoy your first weekend motoring.. I know I am!

Old 10-29-2006, 04:52 PM
unfrostedpoptart
1st Gear
Originally Posted by unfrostedpoptart
Hi all!
I'm psyched: window kit, freshly cleaned wheels, and my first Mini meeting tomorrow (Southern California Mini Maniacs - noon at The Olde Ship British pub in Santa Ana). There's also a coffee/breakfast at 8am at The Neighborhood Cup in Aliso Viejo, followed by a canyon ride up to Santa Ana, but I won't make that part because I've got tennis in the morning.

David
I was all set for today: my new '06 MCS with its white R84s shining and it's newly installed Auto-window-up circuit. So, what happens? I wake up in pain 10 minutes after going to sleep last night and end up at Hoag Emergency (side-note: great time to go there is about 7am on a Sunday - no wait at all!) with a kidney stone

It was up and down with the pain meds and I still thought (stupidly) that I might make lunch at the Pub. Didn't happen

The Vikoden is working pretty well now. I just hope I pass this thing soon. The doctor said a couple of days to a week, but when my wife had this a few years ago she went six weeks - ow!! I had Gall-stones a little over a year ago, so it's not fair to get these, especially since I drink a ton of water every day.

I should go driving: the runflats on the roads around here should everything loose in my body, including the kidney stone .

David

Old 10-29-2006, 04:59 PM
mini_dreams
5th Gear
Thanks Grover... YOU need an updated siggie now! Take that "Waiting" off....... Enjoy your first weekend motoring.. I know I am!
i had a "trial" version of photoshop that I created the original sig with and forgot to create an "after" version before my trial version ran out!!! ughh... i don't have any photo editing software... gotta look for a freebie version for mac.

motoring was fun this weekend... the weather here was perfect for it... bright, sunny, blue skies and nice cool to warm temps. did a wash and a little claybar today before i lost the light... will have to continue tomorrow if i have time.

Old 10-29-2006, 05:01 PM
mini_dreams
5th Gear
I wake up in pain 10 minutes after going to sleep last night and end up at Hoag Emergency (side-note: great time to go there is about 7am on a Sunday - no wait at all!) with a kidney stone David
was posting in here and saw your note, David... this sounds very unpleasant... feel better soon.

Old 10-29-2006, 05:11 PM
aiiee
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by mini_dreams
i had a "trial" version of photoshop that I created the original sig with and forgot to create an "after" version before my trial version ran out!!! ughh... i don't have any photo editing software... gotta look for a freebie version for mac.

motoring was fun this weekend... the weather here was perfect for it... bright, sunny, blue skies and nice cool to warm temps. did a wash and a little claybar today before i lost the light... will have to continue tomorrow if i have time.
Not photoshop but as close as it gets for free: http://blog.yumdap.net/archives/20-G...r-Windows.html

The clay should be a big help keeping the surface swirl free. I bought a new chenille washmitt, and still put some swirls in my car's roof today. grr.
So, went out and bought a microfiber washmitt. We'll see.

Old 10-29-2006, 05:37 PM
mini_dreams
5th Gear
Originally Posted by aiiee
Not photoshop but as close as it gets for free: http://blog.yumdap.net/archives/20-G...r-Windows.html

The clay should be a big help keeping the surface swirl free. I bought a new chenille washmitt, and still put some swirls in my car's roof today. grr. So, went out and bought a microfiber washmitt. We'll see.
thanks aiiee... i founds some slight little scratches/swirls on the back of my black roof ... not sure how they got there... i didn't see them at the dealer on Friday, but saw them on Sat. morning. maybe a critter skittered across Grover at night... maybe they were there but somehow covered up... and i looked him over well. anyway, i'm going to try a little Meguiar's Scratch X on it. I used a very soft sheepskin mit (100% genuine Australian Merino sheepskin) that I got at Walmart for about $6... i was originally going to buy a Griot's sheepskin mit, but I think this one will do for now. very soft and I don't think it put any swirls in my paint. my biggest challenge was drying. I tried using this thing called a "spotless dryer"... it feels looks/feels like a sheet of leather (kinda) and I was just laying it on there and letting it soak up water. but it didn't work great and it took a long time. need to find a big microfiber towel for drying.... gonna check with Detailer's Paradise.

p.s... i don't know if I'm doing the claying right... doesn't quite feel like it when I'm doing it, but the clay did get dirty and the paint afterward felt silky smooth. i don' think the paint is terribly dirty though.

Old 10-29-2006, 05:50 PM
eenieMini
5th Gear
You won't "feel" the claybar doing anything but yes, if it gets dirty you're doing it right... wanna give it a go on Moe next?

Old 10-29-2006, 06:10 PM
aiiee
3rd Gear
The claybar should just glide across the surface which has been lubricated with speedshine or the like. From your results it sounds like you are doing it correctly.

As for drying, I can't think of a better towel than the microfiber 'waffle weave', aka 'Big Blue'. The blue ones seem to be the best. I just prepare the surface by letting the hose flow water over the car with no nozzle, just free flowing water. This takes a lot of the water from the surface. Then just lay the waffle weave towel on a given area, pat or 'smooth' it against the surface and the waffle weave leaves the surface completely dry.

Try it you'll like it

Old 10-29-2006, 08:38 PM
mini_dreams
5th Gear
You won't "feel" the claybar doing anything but yes, if it gets dirty you're doing it right... wanna give it a go on Moe next?
ha! lol... if i were still in berkeley, we could have a claybar party!

Originally Posted by aiiee
The claybar should just glide across the surface which has been lubricated with speedshine or the like. From your results it sounds like you are doing it correctly.

As for drying, I can't think of a better towel than the microfiber 'waffle weave', aka 'Big Blue'. The blue ones seem to be the best. I just prepare the surface by letting the hose flow water over the car with no nozzle, just free flowing water. This takes a lot of the water from the surface. Then just lay the waffle weave towel on a given area, pat or 'smooth' it against the surface and the waffle weave leaves the surface completely dry.
yep, i was using Meguiar's Quik Detailer and gliding... i was trying to figure out how much pressure to use. at some points I think i was pushing it down too hard... hopefully i didn't scratch. i'll see in the morning.

yes, i need to get a couple of MF towels!! i was not well prepared! is the one you're talking about a particular brand? this is the one i'm looking at:

http://www.detailersparadise.com/Vie...482-249136542#

Old 10-29-2006, 08:47 PM
kissmys
3rd Gear
Rant, complain, waaaah!...

OK, I am not a happy camper right now. I feel like Minx and I were just getting to know one another, totally best friends for a couple of days and then poof! she was called away! Took her in to EBMINI to have them replace the botched up clear bra job on Thursday, expecting to get her back at least by Saturday (planned wine tasting motoring for Sunday.) I let them know (nicely) that if the new clear bra application wasn't perfect, that I wanted a full refund so I could bring it back to Petaluma to the guy that did such an excellent job on my tints. They said they'd let me know on Friday when it would be ready, as the schedule was still "unclear". I met one of the guys from the place they subcontracted it to and he was very apologetic and promised they'd "make it right.":impatient

Long story short, when I talked to them on Friday, I was informed that the only guy they trusted to do a perfect job would not be in town until Tuesday. So Minx is at EBM, waiting to get her bra fixed, wondering what the h**l is going on... and I am so frustrated!!! They assured me Minx would be top priority (yeah, right...) first thing on Tuesday, but I may not get her back until Wednesday.

Meanwhile, boxes keep getting delivered of detailing stuff I've purchased. I can't believe what overkill I've done! I've got 3 bottles of ICE, FK1 Anti-Static Glass Cleaner and Ultra Slick Poly Wipe, Prima Slick, 303 Aerospace Protectant, Mother's Car Wash, Mother's Plastic Polish, Mother's Clay Bar Kit, Turtle Wax Bug & Tar Remover, a micro fiber mitt and at least a dozen microfiber towels! What am I, nutz!!!??? And no car to detail! Sheesh! Well, I can make my Avalon prettier before selling it (good thing I haven't listed it yet... I'd be stuck with a loaner which wouldn't have been a MINI or a BMW, probably an old Taurus!) by practicing with some of these goodies.

OK, I feel better now. I just had to vent a bit.

I'm so happy for all of you and your weekend of motoring, fixin' up, etc. My turn will come.

David — so sorry about your condition. Lived with a mate that went through that and I know from observation that is is NO fun! I wish you a speedy recovery!

Old 10-29-2006, 09:00 PM
kissmys
3rd Gear
Detailers Paradise

is the one you're talking about a particular brand? this is the one i'm looking at:
I bought my Prima Slick Quick Detail Spray and 303 Aerospace Protectant from Detailers. They are really professional and their products come highly recommended. I haven't used them yet though!

For the record... as far as the microfiber towels go, I bought ICE Detailing Spray Kits from Turtle Wax on line. Each kit came with three blue microfiber towels (I got two kits; one for $29 which qualifies you for another for $19 — each kit includes 2 spray bottles of detailer, 1 of liquid polish, a microfiber cleaning mitt, an ICE sponge applicator and three microfiber towels (the size of large wash cloths.) I've used the ICE and it is fabulous. Very versatile for quick spiffing up! I've probably got enough stuff to last three years!

Old 10-29-2006, 10:08 PM
climbergirl
5th Gear
I was all set for today: my new '06 MCS with its white R84s shining and it's newly installed Auto-window-up circuit. So, what happens? I wake up in pain 10 minutes after going to sleep last night and end up at Hoag Emergency (side-note: great time to go there is about 7am on a Sunday - no wait at all!) with a kidney stone

It was up and down with the pain meds and I still thought (stupidly) that I might make lunch at the Pub. Didn't happen

The Vikoden is working pretty well now. I just hope I pass this thing soon. The doctor said a couple of days to a week, but when my wife had this a few years ago she went six weeks - ow!! I had Gall-stones a little over a year ago, so it's not fair to get these, especially since I drink a ton of water every day.

I should go driving: the runflats on the roads around here should everything loose in my body, including the kidney stone .

David
Vicodin baby, vicodin!! Lets just say kidney stones for a male is the equivalent to giving birth. Sorry you are having a rough time. Just breathe... deep breath in through your nose...hold it...slowly exhale through your mouth... Envision that you are driving through the canyons in your MINI...

Old 10-29-2006, 10:10 PM
climbergirl
5th Gear
thanks aiiee... i founds some slight little scratches/swirls on the back of my black roof ... not sure how they got there... i didn't see them at the dealer on Friday, but saw them on Sat. morning. maybe a critter skittered across Grover at night... maybe they were there but somehow covered up... and i looked him over well. anyway, i'm going to try a little Meguiar's Scratch X on it. I used a very soft sheepskin mit (100% genuine Australian Merino sheepskin) that I got at Walmart for about $6... i was originally going to buy a Griot's sheepskin mit, but I think this one will do for now. very soft and I don't think it put any swirls in my paint. my biggest challenge was drying. I tried using this thing called a "spotless dryer"... it feels looks/feels like a sheet of leather (kinda) and I was just laying it on there and letting it soak up water. but it didn't work great and it took a long time. need to find a big microfiber towel for drying.... gonna check with Detailer's Paradise.

p.s... i don't know if I'm doing the claying right... doesn't quite feel like it when I'm doing it, but the clay did get dirty and the paint afterward felt silky smooth. i don' think the paint is terribly dirty though.
you need the absorber.. you can find it at any auto parts store! they are awesome!!

Old 10-29-2006, 10:29 PM
JJ Blue
4th Gear
Well folks no motoring this weekend. Had a homecoming dance to shoot, and now I'm in the process of setting up the $12,000 Halloween display. Then I have to tear down the $12,000 halloween display and store it for next year. Hopefullu by next weekend I can finish wiring the PIAAs and get some motoring and hiking time in. Two weeks I have had Merlin and he only has 300 miles. At this rate the warranty will run out before he is broke in.:impatient

unfrostedpoptart
I'm glad I don't have your problems. Get well dude. Vikoden and motoring do not mix.

Old 10-30-2006, 05:50 AM
aiiee
3rd Gear

yep, i was using Meguiar's Quik Detailer and gliding... i was trying to figure out how much pressure to use. at some points I think i was pushing it down too hard... hopefully i didn't scratch. i'll see in the morning.

yes, i need to get a couple of MF towels!! i was not well prepared! is the one you're talking about a particular brand? this is the one i'm looking at:

http://www.detailersparadise.com/Vie...482-249136542#
h
I think that's it. The size seems right, although the one I am using is blue, it's not the color that helps it to dry faster , but the color used to be indicative of the weight of the microfiber. I'd go for the purple one, and use the technique I mentioned: sheet the water off with free flowing water from an open hose, then lay the towel inplace and 'smooth' it out with your hands to make sure it contacts all of the car's surface. This allows the towel to suck up the water, and it does a very good job of it. I've used real chamois, synthetic chamois ( The Absorber, works good but I think the waffle weave is quicker ) and the water blade ( will scratch if not kept scrupulously clean ) and I like the waffle weave best.

Old 10-30-2006, 09:05 AM
kissmys
3rd Gear
Navigator fun...

BTW — for those of you who have the GPS, I decided to select the GB language instead of U.S. just for hoots. It's rather fun to not only hear a different voice with a slight accent, but she says things like "in a quaater mile, fork (pronounced like folk) to the right" instead of "stay right"... I just love those little British touches here and there!

Old 10-30-2006, 05:20 PM
abuzavi
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey, and since we're all in this together, riddle me this, Batman:

Why are there no Mini magazines on the shelf? We're all such insane owners, and so reckless with our spending, shouldn't there be tons?

Old 10-30-2006, 09:14 PM
climbergirl
5th Gear
Originally Posted by abuzavi
Hey, and since we're all in this together, riddle me this, Batman:

Why are there no Mini magazines on the shelf? We're all such insane owners, and so reckless with our spending, shouldn't there be tons?
everyone is too busy motoring.

Old 10-30-2006, 10:36 PM
yonahleyah
2nd Gear
Hi guys! So today was Billy's first day with the surfboard. There's now wax everywhere, and my only thought was, The PW36ers are going to kill me!:impatient But I surf every week, so I'm just going to have to get over it. I did, however, use my pre-soaked windex wipes for things like bird presents and water marks. Is it my imagination or does some of the color come off? When you guys use the MF cloths, are they good for touchups when you're out and about? I'm wondering if Windex is too strong.... And Billy is getting so many comments about his 'erection' antenna while in the car cover. I think he's getting a complex. Garage spot will be opening mid-November

Old 10-31-2006, 05:39 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Ewwwwww - Windex - ewwwww - ammonia - ewwww....

For my "mobile detailing" I use an OXO mini duster (which I drained an incredible amount of oily paraffin out of on paper 4 times before using) to get the dust off, microfiber to buff off the glass, occassionally an armor-all ammonia-free glass wipe on the glass if needed, and some quick detailer with microfiber to knock off bugs etc. as needed (I use ICE detailer because I also use ICE liquid wax - love the stuff - I'm lazy).

Quick Reply: R53 Production Week 36 (9/4/06)