1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R53 Production Week 36 (9/4/06)

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 01:37 PM
climbergirl
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by climbergirl
aww.. go on, just give them a call, say "customer relations" and speak to a live person. I have full MINI conversations with them. Many of them own MINI's themselves. I ask them all kinds of questions.. It's pretty funny!
I called again today.... Just wanted to make sure that ASKMINI didn't miss me.

Old 08-25-2006, 02:13 PM
climbergirl
5th Gear
Ok, wk 36er's...... you car should be at status 150! That means no more changes as we are about to start production!!

Old 08-25-2006, 05:18 PM
kissmys
3rd Gear
Really?! I'm still vascillating on the 16" vs. 17" wheels conundrum. Guess the 150 status just helped me make the decision to stay with the 16s. I saw such a handsome, newer DG/B S today. Her plates said "COOPRGE". She was a middle aged, gool looking professional, yaking on her cell and carting around a giant German Shepard in the back. It all looked so natural and relaxed and COOL.

I ordered a rear personalized plate holder today to go with my NANOKAR plate. The only real tangible thing I've done since placing my MINI order this late July. It will say on the top: SUPERCHARGED, and on the bottom: FUN!!!

That about says it all! And the '06 is the last of the Supercharged, right?

Old 08-25-2006, 08:28 PM
climbergirl
5th Gear
So, you ordered your first mod! You go!! I am still compiling the list. It keeps growing longer and longer. Who know what I will end up with in the end. I know that I want to make one large purchase from Classic in Ohio. Hopefully that will cut down on shipping cost. Contemplating the alarm now.

Old 08-25-2006, 10:23 PM
kissmys
3rd Gear
Could you please give this newbie more details on "Classic in Ohio?" Is that somewhere I should be mod shopping? It's odd that the "S" doesn't come with a good standard alarm system. I can imagine it would be costly to have one installed aftermarket... If you don't mind, let me know what you are quoted. I'm going to start looking for a good local place to do the legal limit of tinting my windows and sunroof.

Old 08-25-2006, 10:39 PM
climbergirl
5th Gear
Classic MINI is a sponser here. So if you tell them when you are placing your order, they will give you 20% off. You still have to pay shipping, but when you calculate tax, etc, you still save money. Especially if you compile a list and order at one time. I am going to order my extended boot cover from outboard motor (i think thats what they are called). I thought about buying my alarm from classic, and having it installed out here. But, I won't do it as a "dealer installed option". They over charge. As they do with a lot of things. Gotta be a smart consumer!!

Old 08-25-2006, 10:52 PM
handn
3rd Gear
Personally, I'd pass on the alarm. I find people ignore them anyway with so many false alarms. You have already have drive away protection without the alarm. Dealers love to push the alarm since it's a NICE mark-up for them. Don't have one on our MCc and have never missed it.

As for mods for the new MCS... I've had my JCW Leather/Alcantara Steering wheel sitting here for a couple weeks already. Other than that I'm looking at a clear bra and Koni FSDs shortly after delivery. And a 15% pulley a bit further down the road.

Old 08-25-2006, 11:32 PM
kissmys
3rd Gear
I've had alarms in my last two cars and must admit, they've never been used and wouldn't be missed. Once in awhile I accidentally set off the panic button and scare myself until I can figure out how to disengage it. Still not sure about the clear bra, but my husband is high on the 15% pulley -- says there must be a pulley party in the works at some point in the north bay? Years ago I put Konis on my 510 Datsun and it really made a difference. What have you heard about the difference they make in the MINI's ride? Where did you find the JCW wheel?

Old 08-26-2006, 08:11 AM
handn
3rd Gear
There are a few threads on the Koni FSDs in the suspension forum (here's two recent ones): Koni FSDs and Another Koni FSD convert.

As for the JCW Steering Wheel, I ordered mine from overseas for $440, shipped. (retails for $585 here) Got here in about a week, too. This was before Classic had their sale going on so it might be almost as cheap to get it from them. Worth checking out. It seems like a crazy amount to spend on a steering wheel, and it IS... but I got to actually feel one on Long Beach Mini's JCW'd CR MCSc. It's REALLY nice.

Old 08-26-2006, 08:33 AM
minibot
3rd Gear
Hey, it's production week 36! I got my MINI in this production group one year ago. Congrats to all the new owners!

Old 08-26-2006, 08:50 AM
JJ Blue
4th Gear
I got a Garmin C330 GPS and a set of PIAA 540 MINI driving lights waiting for JJ Blues arrival.

Old 08-26-2006, 10:20 PM
climbergirl
5th Gear
ok, are you guys ready? this is for starters: sunroof wind deflector, glove box organizer, rubber floor mats, rubber boot mat with extension, black bumper step guard, aux input, sirius (portable vs oem) window tint, checkered flag decal for roof and front fenders. boot stripes.
Now for the maybe list: armrest, sportlink with bike rack, clear bra vs vinyl bra, new shoes (a few narrowed down).
And the future list: milltech exhaust, pulley, ecu chip, air take. Sooo.. for the engine mod's, I have to keep doing my homework. See.. too much time, too many mods... my list keeps growing

Old 08-27-2006, 01:13 AM
JJ Blue
4th Gear
Now for the maybe list: armrest, sportlink with bike rack, clear bra vs vinyl bra, new shoes (a few narrowed down).

I would move that clear bra to the Starters list. I'm really considering the black bumper step guard. May get the plain white sunroof decal. The wife wouldn't allow bonnet stripes even though they came with the sports package. Speaking of which (the wife that is) JJ Blue will not be named JJ Blue by spousal edict. The new name is Merlin (my choice).
Eight more days and our journey really begins, here's to all us 2006 Week 36ers.

Old 08-27-2006, 09:23 AM
climbergirl
5th Gear
The maybe list is still kind of the for certain list. Yeah, I'm a girl! How confusing was that sentance! I am a little concerned with the clear bra. I just don't want it to get dull or yellow. SoCal's sun is really hard on things and I park outside. I actually have been researching the portable carports for it. I guess if it does get yellow, I can just take it off. I didn't clear bra my 330 and the front has a nice ding. I remember when the rock flipped up from behind a truck. I was pissed!!! I was trying to get past him because I don't like driving around big trucks for that very reason. For long trips (a couple cross country ones) I used a regular bra. That helped a lot. I do worry about my commute to OC. Lots of construction right now.

Old 08-27-2006, 09:25 AM
climbergirl
5th Gear
I forgot to add my detailing supplies that I need to buy. some 303, and either zaino or P21s (I use that on my bimmer) maybe Ice. So many options...

Old 08-27-2006, 10:21 AM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
*squeals and skips around the house*

I just checked my online status and I'm FINALLY scheduled and here I am!

My husband is sure I've lost my damn mind. I yelled "WOOHOOOOO" so loud I'm sure I woke up the whole neighborhood

Yayyyyyy I'm so excited!

* (I'm in the right spot, right? If the automated line tells me my car is "in production" and says it is scheduled to be completed on September 3rd?)

Old 08-27-2006, 02:33 PM
climbergirl
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MLWagner79
*squeals and skips around the house*

I just checked my online status and I'm FINALLY scheduled and here I am!

My husband is sure I've lost my damn mind. I yelled "WOOHOOOOO" so loud I'm sure I woke up the whole neighborhood

Yayyyyyy I'm so excited!

* (I'm in the right spot, right? If the automated line tells me my car is "in production" and says it is scheduled to be completed on September 3rd?)
Congratulations!! I think your production week would actually be wk 35. You are very very lucky!!! Our production is due to start sept 4th. You are more than welcome to post on this thread!! Who knows, we could all be on the same boat in the end!

Old 08-27-2006, 02:44 PM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
Thanks!! I will have to call back later...I was so excited when they said "in production" that I don't know if they said it was scheduled to start on the 3rd or be done on the 3rd.

Either way, I'm totally jazzed.

Old 08-27-2006, 02:49 PM
climbergirl
5th Gear
Thanks!! I will have to call back later...I was so excited when they said "in production" that I don't know if they said it was scheduled to start on the 3rd or be done on the 3rd.

Either way, I'm totally jazzed.
Ok, so your post made me call AskMINI. Guess what? They told me that my car was in production and scheduled to finish Sept 5th. I guess that still makes me prod wk 36, but I didn't even expect to start production until sometime during the week of sept 4. We will definitely sail to california together! I am freakin out! My SO and neighbor are all excited!! woohoo! I had planned on my car making the boat on sept 18th. Now it's going to make the Sept 11th boat. I am soo surprised. I better start selling my car.

Old 08-27-2006, 02:55 PM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
I need to sell mine too, ugh. I've been practicing my detailing skills on it. I'm hoping I can craigslist it quickly, otherwise I'm taking it to my friend to put on the lot at the dealer she works for.

Yay, we'll be boat buddies! I saw in your sig your order date and I ordered on 8/2 and I was thinking we might end up on the same boat.

Guess I better get the financing BS worked out too.

Old 08-27-2006, 03:16 PM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
Okay so here's what I ordered:

MCa in PW/PW with:
Premium, Sport, Cold Weater, Convience packs
Black leatherette
Anthracite int
Chromeline int/ext

I should have ordered the anthracite headliner but before I even realized it was available it was too late to make any more changes :(

As far as additions/mods go, all I'm planning on right now is adding Sirius (can't live without it, and I've been thoroughly instructed on how to do it myself with OEM parts for much cheaper than the standard $900), a clear bra (which I will schedule for the same day I pick her up) and a custom roof graphic. Oh, and a grille badge holder But nothing major, she's coming pretty loaded up!

Old 08-27-2006, 03:21 PM
climbergirl
5th Gear
Now I am nervous. I have a trade in quote from SB, but I make 3k more I think if I sell it outright. I am going to wait until it gets a little closer to delivery (like 6wks) to lock in my interest rate. I have a pre approval from my bank. They are usually pretty good. I have about 9k in equity in my current car. Would be nice if I could turn it into 12k by selling outright.

Old 08-27-2006, 03:25 PM
climbergirl
5th Gear
Okay so here's what I ordered:

MCa in PW/PW with:
Premium, Sport, Cold Weater, Convience packs
Black leatherette
Anthracite int
Chromeline int/ext

I should have ordered the anthracite headliner but before I even realized it was available it was too late to make any more changes :(

As far as additions/mods go, all I'm planning on right now is adding Sirius (can't live without it, and I've been thoroughly instructed on how to do it myself with OEM parts for much cheaper than the standard $900), a clear bra (which I will schedule for the same day I pick her up) and a custom roof graphic. Oh, and a grille badge holder But nothing major, she's coming pretty loaded up!
Definitely equipped very nicely. My MA encouraged the anthracite headliner. I walked outside to look at some cars with and without it and decided that I like it better with. Let me ask you about sirius. Do you think its better to buy the oem receiver, etc and install rather than go with a plug and play? I have been debating back and forth. And where are you going to get your clear bra installed at? I started a clear bra thread to gather info. I wonder if the car should be detailed with the clay bar first?

Old 08-27-2006, 03:34 PM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
I'm considering just eBaying it. East Bay hasn't given me an inkling of what they'd give for it (and it being a Chevy Cavalier, I'm sure they don't even WANT it), but KBB trade-in is between $4-5k. Similar ones in similar condition are going on eBay for about $5500. I'm thinking I'll just put it on a 10-day eBay when it gets a lil closer and then link it up on craigslist. The good news it that it's in pretty much perfect condition aside from some stone chips on the hood, and a windshield chip that I acquired a couple days ago that will be fixed tomorrow...so I know it should sell okay...it's just a pain!

Old 08-27-2006, 03:41 PM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by climbergirl
Definitely equipped very nicely. My MA encouraged the anthracite headliner. I walked outside to look at some cars with and without it and decided that I like it better with. Let me ask you about sirius. Do you think its better to buy the oem receiver, etc and install rather than go with a plug and play? I have been debating back and forth. And where are you going to get your clear bra installed at? I started a clear bra thread to gather info. I wonder if the car should be detailed with the clay bar first?
Well, okay. I have a personal issue about non-OEM stereo units, I just hate how they look. I have a plug-and-play in my current car and it works great, but I have no desire to have it in my MINI, I don't know why. So if the aesthetic of the plug-and-play doesn't bug you (and I've seen some good setups in the audio/nav forum), then there's no reason you can't go that route.

But after talking to some folks here, it was suggested that I can buy the OEM parts for Sirius and install it myself (or have my buddy do it) for around $400, as opposed to $900 w/install to have the dealer do it. So that's my plan right now. I'll just get/order the stuff when I go in to do paperwork in a few weeks and then have my friend do it. Apparently it just plugs right into the CD changer cable in the boot.

For the clear bra, I'm going to Clear Armor (I think, unless I get a cheaper quote from some other place that does machine cut - I'm terrified of anything hand-cut after reading about the gouged-to-death-MINI from hand-cut film) in San Carlos. I need to get a firm quote from them first, though.

Quick Reply: R53 Production Week 36 (9/4/06)