1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R53 Production Week 36 (9/4/06)

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 02:32 PM
eenieMini
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by yonahleyah

....snip..... Eenie, be sure to show us your stripes. My dealer actually ordered from aesthetic creations, because their contractor doesn't have pin stripes. I only knew to recomend them because of NAM. Happy days soon...

As far as shopping - have we pushed all the guys out of here? Poor fellows, the girls are just so excited.

Where's Homer? Motoring? Shouldn't he have his car now?
My stripes are going to be the U shaped hawaiian flowers on the bonnet and the boot will have a "wrap" across the top (at window bar) of the same graphic which Mike custom fit for me. I'll get pics right away on that one soon as they're installed! I also have a navy blue/white hibiscus print picnic/stow-n-go type of blanket to keep in the car... and a shell-lei from Hawaii for the mirror.. Moe is going to be a surfer, we even have coastal plates coming!

Old 10-22-2006, 04:08 PM
Urban Elf
1st Gear
Originally Posted by abuzavi
Here's what I don't understand -- if you're hitting the magic 1250, why does it show you stopped and not moving, instead of burying your foot into it? Holy cow -- open it up a little, let the kid out to play!
Oh, uh... I was going so fast that the speedo went all the way back to zero. Yeah.

Old 10-22-2006, 04:28 PM
abuzavi
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Urban Elf
Oh, uh... I was going so fast that the speedo went all the way back to zero. Yeah.
Riiiiight.....

Old 10-22-2006, 05:58 PM
kissmys
3rd Gear
Aloha!

Originally Posted by eenieMini
shell-lei from Hawaii for the mirror.. Moe is going to be a surfer, we even have coastal plates coming!
Sounds so cute! Can't wait to see pictures!

Old 10-22-2006, 07:52 PM
yonahleyah
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by eenieMini
Moe is going to be a surfer, we even have coastal plates coming!
Most excellent! Got the coastal plates, too, they say Mayim, which means water in Hebrew. And brought my board to the dealership to make sure it fits in the car. And I am looking for a new beach blanket to stow in the car, too! Glad you found a matching one - I'm also thinking of a plastic tub to hold all wet clothing. How many Coronas fit in our refrigerated glove box?

Old 10-22-2006, 08:19 PM
climbergirl
5th Gear
Originally Posted by yonahleyah
Was wondering where you had gone. I thought maybe you were camping out at one of the auto cross terrains waiting for a gathering.
Actually, we did go to the autocross this morning. Of course, we didn't participate. I got to meet Handn and his family, octane guy, dave, leslie123, bat10girl, Boneman, ummm... and there is a few more but their names escape me right now. Both Handn and Boneman's cars are beautiful in person. We are in the process of posting a few photo's on our web site.
Handn installed my parcel tray and set up my aux input cable. Huge Thanks to him!!! And, now I definitely have to buy the Koni's fsd.

eenie and kissmys, delivery is coming soon. Woohoo!!

Old 10-22-2006, 09:14 PM
kissmys
3rd Gear
48 hours from now I will be going out to my garage and pinching myself to make sure that sweet Minx isn't a dream... now that the time is so near I am very nervous and agitated (in a very good way!)

I've been reading a thread on "what do you use your MINI for — everyday driving or toy?" It is so great to read all of the responses... mostly "both"; not necessarily planned for the every day commute car, but ended up that way because they couldn't resist the MINI magnetism and it's always regarded as a fun toy! The thread represents owners of many years and models.

Cheerio!

Old 10-23-2006, 09:35 AM
homerwest
5th Gear
He he he he he he

Homer is happy. Thanks for letting a PW37 guy enjoy your thread too!

Gotta go motor. It's supposed to be 80 today. Top was down this morning with the heater on. Probably not good for global warming....

Photos to follow - gotta motor.....

Old 10-23-2006, 09:50 AM
uscfan
3rd Gear
Spent 5 hours on Saturday detailing the MINI. It got its first bath and 2 layers of zaino. Now its a shiny and perty! It's weird because with the car I had before, I never spent one minute detailing it, just into the auto car wash once in a while, but with the MINI I find myself constantly obsessing over every spot and imperfection. I swear the MINI is taking over my life!

Old 10-23-2006, 12:01 PM
climbergirl
5th Gear
Originally Posted by uscfan
Spent 5 hours on Saturday detailing the MINI. It got its first bath and 2 layers of zaino. Now its a shiny and perty! It's weird because with the car I had before, I never spent one minute detailing it, just into the auto car wash once in a while, but with the MINI I find myself constantly obsessing over every spot and imperfection. I swear the MINI is taking over my life!
I used my california duster before I drove the dogs to the park. Now I need to sweep all the dog hair out of the back.

Old 10-23-2006, 12:14 PM
uscfan
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by climbergirl
I used my california duster before I drove the dogs to the park. Now I need to sweep all the dog hair out of the back.
My dog has never even been in my MINI yet. Can't have dog hair ruining the interior! Whenever we go to the dog park, we always take my GF's car. She says I'm crazy for spending all that time detailing my car. Maybe she's right...

Old 10-23-2006, 12:32 PM
eenieMini
5th Gear
Moe is there!
KissMyS... if you get there before I do tomorrow give Moe a pat for me! Robert says he's being processed now so it shouldn't take long to get ready since I have no installs. Heck, in my dreams they call me back in a few hours. LOL yeah right.

Old 10-23-2006, 12:37 PM
homerwest
5th Gear
Hang in there eenie and kissmys!

I caught myself laughing like a madman while driving along the coast at lunchtime!

I added some photos of Basil in my gallery....

Old 10-23-2006, 01:50 PM
unfrostedpoptart
1st Gear
Originally Posted by unfrostedpoptart
Question for everyone about wheel cleaning. As I anticipated, I totally love the white R84s on my car. Unfortunately, also as I anticipated, they start to get dirty about five minutes after being cleaned!

Can anyone recommend a product/procedure to give them a quick wipe-down every day or so?
Followup/question on my own post: First, I cleaned my wheels yesterday.R53 Production Week 36 (9/4/06)-clean_wheels.jpg

Of course, they're already turning gray. So, I went to Pep Boys at lunch to ask what they had to help keep them clean. The guy suggested some Rally Brake Dust Shields. They're black plastic inserts that clip behind the wheel and block the dust from coming out through the wheels. I found similar ones here: http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/pe...06&partid=7776

Seems like a good idea. Anyone use these? Any foreseeable problems?

David

Old 10-23-2006, 02:59 PM
Gr8Force
5th Gear
I've heard that you don't want to go on a spirited drive through the twisties with them as they don't allow for normal cooling. In other words you'll get them too hot and have a lot less braking power. Normal driving? I don't think that would be a problem.

Old 10-23-2006, 04:49 PM
climbergirl
5th Gear
Originally Posted by uscfan
My dog has never even been in my MINI yet. Can't have dog hair ruining the interior! Whenever we go to the dog park, we always take my GF's car. She says I'm crazy for spending all that time detailing my car. Maybe she's right...
well, you know... they are my family. If I took the Subaru, then my SO would be driving my MCS. Nahhh... I will just clean it out. I did put the extended rubber boot mat in place.

Old 10-23-2006, 05:32 PM
JJ Blue
4th Gear
Got Merlin back from Joes Window Tint tonight. Old Joe talked me into the 20% tint and also doing the windshield in the legal limit. He went 18" up the bonnet, did the lower bumper, the all lights (including my uninstalled PIAAs) and the ledge on the boot. All for $720 and, he did a class A job. He also installed my classic all brass England badge as well.
Merlin is looking hot. The dark window tint adds a furthur aura of mystery to him. Just got to get them PIAAs on but that will have to wait till the weekend after next. We could not get the name Merlin on our personalized plates as it was already taken so we settled for Merlin2. We are taking Merlin for a short ride up into the Rockies tomorrow night. I will try to post photos. In the mean time here is a snapshot I did of him yesterday. He looks alot better today.

Old 10-23-2006, 09:16 PM
kissmys
3rd Gear
12 hours and counting...

What can I say?... Merlin is one hot dude! So, do you like the 20%? How is the detail out the back window at night? My tinter (I'll employ him this Thursday if all goes as planned) says there is already a tint on the MINI windows (including the sun roof) and if I put 35% on it will be as dark as 20%. And then do the front at 50%. So should Minx go 20% all around? I just couldn't decide... maybe 20% on all except 35 on back. Hmmmm (I'm all for mystery but still want to see and not get pulled over...)

Anyway, I'm taking the Avalon in tomorrow morning to have basic service while hubby and I drive his Ford Escape Hybrid to Pleasanton to arrive around 10:00ish. The time is near, my heart is pounding and I CAN'T WAIT!!!!

Then when I'm at the usual place at 3:10 to pick up my youngest daughter from high school she will FREAK OUT! Then she'll say something like "I don't understand why you didn't get something really hot looking like blue or red with stripes!" That's OK. Minx is me and I love my subtle, blow your doors off secretive, sexy RG/S. A little bling here and there and a lot of zing everywhere!

Old 10-23-2006, 09:45 PM
JJ Blue
4th Gear
Kissmys posted
A little bling here and there and a lot of zing everywhere!
Exactly!
I did not noice any problem with the 20% on the rear window. Plenty light enough to see out off at night and the cops will be able to see in enough, not that we are going to have any cops pulling us over.
Now old Joe wanted us to use blue tint to go with the Hyper Blue but I turned him down, way more pimp than bling. I did find that the 20% grey went well with the black roof support columns very nicely.
I do like the darker tint because sometimes I have valuable equipment in the car. What they can't see in a glance they won't take. All of my equipment is in black cases making it that much harder to see through the tint.
Speaking of photography, please don't judge me on the photos I have posted thus far as they are what I call snapshots. Merlin is due for a full blown portrait session in a nice setting (like Red Rocks or Roxborogh Park) early in the morning or late in the afternoon. Heck we may even take Sammy with us for a sibling photo. Even my SUV is small. Poor Sammy hadn't been detailed in 5 years, now I'm claybaring him and detailing him out. He needs new paint, top and interior though. We have committed to resurecting him though, after all he is the new work horse and still a kick to drive. Sammy is the only other new car we have ever owned and he is 19 years old. Now that is loyalty.

Old 10-23-2006, 09:51 PM
kissmys
3rd Gear
Thanks for the input. I'll have to kick this around some more. The 35's I saw were pretty dark too. In any case, Minx will be a minx; sultry and mysterious with a hidden kick! And don't worry about my judging your photos. I already know that you're capable of great images. You wouldn't have been doing it all these years and getting paid for it, my friend! I'll probably get a few pics in the showroom tomorrow and who knows where else. Fall vineyards, harvesting, sunsets... oh, I can't wait. Hail to Merlin and happy motorin'!

Old 10-24-2006, 12:01 AM
JJ Blue
4th Gear
Good night Kissmys and eeniemini Sweet dreams. Catch you all on the other side.
I heard Merlin mumbling something about "Minx come home, come home Minx". He's such a silly boy.

Old 10-24-2006, 06:39 AM
eenieMini
5th Gear
Originally Posted by JJ Blue
Good night Kissmys and eeniemini Sweet dreams. Catch you all on the other side.
I heard Merlin mumbling something about "Minx come home, come home Minx". He's such a silly boy.

I'm crossing my fingers I get a straight answer today and get to pick him up. I am the worst waiter.....and I start imagining all these terrible things (like I am being stalled while my MA has a day off , which I'm sure is not happening...its just me).

Anyway, Minx should see Moe today and hopefully by the time she's pulling out I'll be pulling in... I can't wait to hear stories of surprise from Minx's family!!!

I am going to the tinters on Friday going with the gray also as it will have the least color-fade/change over time. Those colorized tints look funky after a while. I don't know what percents I'm doing but my friend suggested "medium" on the three backs and "light" on the driver/passenger and sun (since sun already has quite a bit of tint).... what that translates to percent I don't know.

Old 10-24-2006, 07:18 AM
kissmys
3rd Gear
Today's The Day!!!

Hey Eenie — Both Minx and I will be looking for you Brenda and Moe today!

Just a thought, my tinter shared with me and it makes sense. From the side, the car looks less "chopped up" if you can pick a tint you like for both the front and back side windows. Smoother continuous color lines. Although many people with vans and larger cars do lighter on the front passenger windows. But from a design point of view, I think I agree with him. Jeez, if it was legal, I'd go for limo black all around except the front window!

Hope to see you at EBM! Motorin' this afternoon for sure!!!

Old 10-24-2006, 09:24 AM
Boneman
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kissmys
What can I say?... Merlin is one hot dude! So, do you like the 20%? How is the detail out the back window at night? My tinter (I'll employ him this Thursday if all goes as planned) says there is already a tint on the MINI windows (including the sun roof) and if I put 35% on it will be as dark as 20%. And then do the front at 50%. So should Minx go 20% all around? I just couldn't decide... maybe 20% on all except 35 on back. Hmmmm (I'm all for mystery but still want to see and not get pulled over...)
I put 35% on the driver & passenger windows and 20% on the rest (including the sunroof). I can see out very well, even at night, and IMHO it looks great.

Old 10-24-2006, 09:44 AM
eenieMini
5th Gear
9:45.... put in call to my MA -- he's in a sales meeting.... I bet anything he's talking with KissMyS right now!

Quick Reply: R53 Production Week 36 (9/4/06)