1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mini as a first car for daughter?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 01:13 PM
Chefcpb
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mini as a first car for daughter?

Have negotiated a good price for a 2013 Mini S Clubman (private seller) and am starting to get cold feet after researching a little deeper into the issues with the carbon deposits in the valves. Loved the way the Mini drove and the turbo kicked right in with no lag. The engine was a loud idle though (not necessarily rough because the rpm stayed constant) is this normal? Also got a little deceleration pop when i got off the throttle hard and I am assuming that the engine runs a little rich? I think it would be an easy car for a new driver to maneuver/park as long as they kept both hands on the wheel (real rigid suspension) and imagine it takes bumps like a skateboard. I plan on having my mechanic take a look but he is not going to pop the head to look at the valves and if I buy it will flush the engine with detergent to clean the valves (used to do this on my SRT and found improved performance). If I do this regularly do you think It will prevent the need for valve replacement in the future? Car has 70,000 miles and is immaculate. 3 owners though so that is a bit of a turn off. Daughter has fallen in love with the car and would hate to disappoint her at this point. I do not however want a lemon. She wanted my JK Wrangler but that is certainly not new driver friendly. Looking for opinions and insight to what I am in for as far as repair/maintenance on this thing.

Old 06-18-2019, 01:16 PM
Marc08EX
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
All direct injection engines will have carbon buildup in the valves. Boost will accelerate the build up.

Valve carbon cleaning is just another maintenance item. Even if you get a lower mileage car, it will still happen.

BMW/Mini turbocharged engines tend to pop upon gas pedal lift off. I think it's addicting. Do you not like it?

So if you negotiated a good price for the car and it's in great shape, I say go for it!

Old 06-18-2019, 02:12 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
2013 Clubman should be the N18 engine which does not have a history of carbon buildup to any extreme level. Our N18 has 70K miles and no carbon issues to speak of. It's the N14 that has the problem to a greater degree. Regular oil changes at more frequent intervals than MINI recommends will help keep the car running better. I don't think that what you did for your SRT works here.

Old 06-18-2019, 03:10 PM
Altecfenix
2nd Gear
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
I think it would be a great 1st car! Especially if she's fallen in love with it.
The popping is normal for the Cooper S. No worries there.
Also it's a safe car that can get out of bad situations pretty quickly.
My first car was an R50 and I loved it.

Old 06-18-2019, 04:10 PM
Blue R50
3rd Gear
Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts
I would do my due diligence and research the common problems with the car. Older DI engines do have issues, and that applies to all of them. It doesn't matter who made them, but some are worse than others. Notable would be the early Audis which could carbon up in 10k miles! Look at the other issues too because MINI and BMW are not brands known for their rock solid reliability and low cost of ownership. Then again, this is true of all European brands. It could always be worse though, you could be looking at a Fiat! For reliability and low cost of ownership, it is hard to beat a Toyota although they tend to be bland and uninteresting appliances. (I own both a MINI and a Toyota.) So, do your research and pick your poison. Toyota, BTW, was not quick to jump on the DI bandwagon, which is why they kept their good reputation, and why I bought one new in 2015 versus more interesting brands.

As far as ease of driving goes, MINIs are great to drive and inspire a level of confidence usually reserved for high end sports cars. After driving a MINI, it may take her some adjustment to drive a more normal car because other cars are nowhere near as responsive. The same can also be said of your Jeep in that it is a unique driving experience unlike a normal car since Jeeps tend to be less responsive than normal. The only thing that would scare me about putting a young driver in a MINI is other drivers. Unfortunately, drivers of larger vehicles sometimes try to dominate smaller ones on the road. In an accident, mass usually wins.

Old 06-18-2019, 04:11 PM
Chefcpb
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok great. Seems like a great little car. Just a few quirky things I have not experienced with other cars. Did you guys think the engine was loud at idle when you first drove the car? And what type of service do the mechanics do to clean the valves beyond flushing the engine with a chemical additive? I read something about them sandblasting the valves with walnut shells?!?!? And thanks Alec for your perspective as a first car. Daughter is an old soul who loves everything British (Beatles, Dr. Who and now a British Green mini with British flags on the mirrors) Bonus is I will get to take it out and have fun every once in a while.

Old 06-18-2019, 04:49 PM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
Originally Posted by Chefcpb
Have negotiated a good price for a 2013 Mini S Clubman (private seller) and am starting to get cold feet after researching a little deeper into the issues with the carbon deposits in the valves. Loved the way the Mini drove and the turbo kicked right in with no lag. The engine was a loud idle though (not necessarily rough because the rpm stayed constant) is this normal? Also got a little deceleration pop when i got off the throttle hard and I am assuming that the engine runs a little rich? I think it would be an easy car for a new driver to maneuver/park as long as they kept both hands on the wheel (real rigid suspension) and imagine it takes bumps like a skateboard. I plan on having my mechanic take a look but he is not going to pop the head to look at the valves and if I buy it will flush the engine with detergent to clean the valves (used to do this on my SRT and found improved performance). If I do this regularly do you think It will prevent the need for valve replacement in the future? Car has 70,000 miles and is immaculate. 3 owners though so that is a bit of a turn off. Daughter has fallen in love with the car and would hate to disappoint her at this point. I do not however want a lemon. She wanted my JK Wrangler but that is certainly not new driver friendly. Looking for opinions and insight to what I am in for as far as repair/maintenance on this thing.
2013 was a good year for Mini engines. The pops are designed to be there on deceleration. It is an enthusiast thing! It is imperative to run premium fuel to keep the engine healthy. I think your daughter will enjoy a Mini, more than you think! Go for it!
Make sure to only use 100% synthetic oil and change the filter every time you change the oil! If it has run flats, buy regular radials and the road will smooth out for her!

Old 06-19-2019, 07:25 AM
miniCPA
5th Gear
Received 145 Likes on 129 Posts
Welcome to the forum. The deceleration pops, loud exhaust and rigid suspension are all part of the MINI charm. Absolutely normal. Many people replace the run flats with non-run flats (and a can of fix-a-flat) to soften the ride. Many people also "upgrade" the exhaust to make it even louder.

It sounds like it could be a good car. Have your mechanic check it out to confirm. As stated above, it is important to keep up on the maintenance. Full synthetic oil changes at 5,000 miles, check the fluids regularly, rotate the tires regularly and so on. Most of us think the extra attention to maintenance is a reasonable price for the enjoyment we will get from driving a MINI.

2013 is a good year for a MINI (as is 2006). MINI, more than most other brands, work out the problems as the generation progresses. The year they finally get it right, they change the model and start over.